Nigel Bethel commits

****, hope this kid don't read the board. Got the crybaby mods trying to incite drama on here. Gotta love it. We take 1 kid that could be a project and we're doomed. All of our defensive commits suck and we have neon signs saying so or some ****. Even though we can't get big time players as y'all are saying, how did we get to a top 6 class? Serious question.

On the contrary, I hope he does read the board. I hope he's been reading the board and reading all the people doubting. Hopefully it will help add a chip on his shoulder. It's been disrespectful to him and the other corner commits. If this kid makes plays during his career at the U, the same posters will act like they were in on him the whole time.

Advertisement
I guess if you can't land Edwards, Davis, Henderson, Surtain, Campbell, Samuel, Jobe, or Wilson, you might as well take a shot on a tall WR from MNW.

We are incredibly fortunate that by way of sheer volume kids like Bandy and Ivey happen to exist in South Florida with no possible way to ***** it up (though we tried our best to lose Bandy, reminder). What a debacle. How can anyone have faith in what we're doing on the defensive side of the ball? There are big flashing "oh ****!" neon signs all over the place right now.

No matter how much spin guys put on this commitment, it should be blatantly obvious that we need a monster recruiter added to the defensive staff.

Bethel's got some nice traits. But we're the only major P5 program who thought he was worthy.

I read somewhere that he had an offer from UFag and UGA.

He had a UF offer while he was committed there. Then, Shannon got fired, and they immediately revoked his offer. He doesn't have a UGA offer.

247, ESPN, and Rivals list him as having a UGA offer. All of them are wrong?

Yes. They’re wrong constantly about who has actual real offers because they only get their info from the kid. Schools don’t talk to them about who has an actual offer and who doesn’t.

If this kid had committed back to Florida or FSU, we would be LOLing because it's a huge reach. It's a poor job with our DB board given the needs this year and the available local talent. He didn't start as a CB last year on his team. 2/3 of our CB class didn't start for their high school team. Does he have traits? He's tall and fast. He isn't special in any capacity based on tape. I would love to hear why someone thinks he's a good player?

He has three plays on film as a DB, so can't really judge, but he doesn't cover anyone. He intercepts a pass in Cover 3 that was overthrown by 8 yards and he tackles some guys 8 yards off the ball and on a screen. On offense, he catches the ball with his body and runs about 2.5 routes in his films. His YAC is decent, but if he's a blazer it should be better. He even got hawked in one play straight up. His best plays are on special teams, which makes sense because that's what this guy is. That's not good enough in a year where we need impact defensive backs. It's just not. If this kid played out of Atlanta or Dallas there wouldn't be the same hype coming from the SFL 4 Life squad. It's not what we need given the context.
Who else didn't start?

Blades, but at least he has played CB at a high level. I just don't see any of our 3 CB prospects as plug and play guys, which we really need now that Young had to retire. Hopefully Frierson is that dude on the boundary.

Agreed. Frierson is the only one of the newcomers who might be able to step in and play right away at CB (even though I think he'll eventually end up at Safety). Huge opportunity for either Surtain or Campbell to come in and likely start right away.

FWIW, I have no problem in taking a chance on a guy like Bethel. He could develop into a good player. However, he's a way off from being able to help at CB.

People still sleeping on Ivey

IMO best corner we signed so far.

He had a UF offer while he was committed there. Then, Shannon got fired, and they immediately revoked his offer. He doesn't have a UGA offer.

They all also show Jalen Patterson having an offer from Miami. They don’t update revoked offers. So yes, they are wrong.

Funny bc Patterson's profile doesn't seem like it's been updated since his decommitment. Meanwhile Bethel's page is pretty up to date. But I'm glad YOU know that all 3 sites are wrong.

I just gave you clear evidence of the sites being wrong, wether you choose to believe that isn’t my problem. All three sites are routinely wrong by the way on offers.
Remember the DB (I think his name was davis) a couple cycles ago who claimed offers from every top 20 program and wound up signing with Colorado State or some other lowly G5 team out west? All the sites had him with offers from all the top 20 teams from whom he claimed to have offers.

Who else didn't start?

Blades, but at least he has played CB at a high level. I just don't see any of our 3 CB prospects as plug and play guys, which we really need now that Young had to retire. Hopefully Frierson is that dude on the boundary.

Agreed. Frierson is the only one of the newcomers who might be able to step in and play right away at CB (even though I think he'll eventually end up at Safety). Huge opportunity for either Surtain or Campbell to come in and likely start right away.

FWIW, I have no problem in taking a chance on a guy like Bethel. He could develop into a good player. However, he's a way off from being able to help at CB.

Bingo

Advertisement
I guess if you can't land Edwards, Davis, Henderson, Surtain, Campbell, Samuel, Jobe, or Wilson, you might as well take a shot on a tall WR from MNW.

We are incredibly fortunate that by way of sheer volume kids like Bandy and Ivey happen to exist in South Florida with no possible way to ***** it up (though we tried our best to lose Bandy, reminder). What a debacle. How can anyone have faith in what we're doing on the defensive side of the ball? There are big flashing "oh ****!" neon signs all over the place right now.

Until proven otherwise Miami can't. It's been that way for a long time too. Since we lost Patrick Peterson (Johnson) we've struck out with top DB's minus Tracy Howard. We've seen them leave one after the other and ball out elsewhere and against us. Everyone knows this trend must stop. Maybe Rumph works his relationship and kills the PJ ghost and the anit-Miami culture seemingly at AH. Maybe it's next year with Spaghetti whom seems to be a 5* lock to us. I sooo want him to commit and be the new ambassador.

For now Bethel is the best we can get and about the perfect project recruit to take a flier on. He's got everything it take to be a prototype CB. Folks are taking frustration out on him, and it's not his fault we suck at recruiting 5* DB's. He's a Cane now and we need him to develop.

Our offensive staff isn't having any trouble signing big timers all over the place. The problem isn't "Miami". The problem is our defensive staff looks about as organized and competent as a stoner taking a 3AM trip to the Taco Bell drive thru.
I repeat, "where is Manny?" Why the free ride? Always Rumph, Kul etc never Manny f'ing up.

Not sure if you're talking to me in general or the board as a whole but I've griped about our DT, LB, and CB recruiting for months along with the associated coaches. If these guys are going to have so much autonomy it needs to feel more organized and efficient. Rumph is a different case, though. Hiring a HS coach who then loses all of his kids would be one of the biggest failures in CFB history. That's something special.

They all also show Jalen Patterson having an offer from Miami. They don’t update revoked offers. So yes, they are wrong.

Funny bc Patterson's profile doesn't seem like it's been updated since his decommitment. Meanwhile Bethel's page is pretty up to date. But I'm glad YOU know that all 3 sites are wrong.

I just gave you clear evidence of the sites being wrong, wether you choose to believe that isn’t my problem. All three sites are routinely wrong by the way on offers.
Remember the DB (I think his name was davis) a couple cycles ago who claimed offers from every top 20 program and wound up signing with Colorado State or some other lowly G5 team out west? All the sites had him with offers from all the top 20 teams from whom he claimed to have offers.

business decision

Doesn’t mean much tbh, look at Malek Young senior highlight tape, he didn’t have many plays on defense like that either. Wouldn’t mind seeing bethels speed as an athlete on offense tbqh
Lol you cannot be serious.

You & that clown Meat were the two biggest proponents in us not taking Bethel no matter what.

You were 100% against it, you said he sucked & doesn't deserve to be at Miami. Don't hop on the bandwagon now.

Lol @ there being a Nigel Bethel bandwagon. This is not a kid that Miami should have to settle for...but apparently we whiffed on the AH kids so now we're on to Plan C...

The funniest part is how y'all are trying to make Bethel out to be this world beater now that he's committed. Didn't get an offer from any major school besides us, even though he played at the most heavily recruited school in America smh

Of course I'll support the kid, he's a cane...just like I support Charles Perry, Tre Johnson, and Trayone Gray. But I don't expect him to ever start at Miami. This is a waste of a scholly imo
Nobody is trying to make Bethel out to be anything, D$, gogeta, myself & several others have said from the very begging he was a good player.

Just because he doesn't meet your standard doesn't means he's not. The staff evaluated Nigel after seeing him in person back in June at the Mark Richt camps, they've liked him since then & kept in touch with him the entire time.

You think he's a waste of a scholly, well I think you don't know **** about Football, so there's that.

And you're not gonna support him, you're just gonna sit back & wait for every opportunity to call him a bust just you can say you were right.

You & the rest of the clowns who were so against us taking Bethel shouldn't even post in this thread. We know where yall stand & what yall think about him.

This is his moment, all this negativity towards him is unnecessary, either wish the kid luck or get the **** on find something else to complain about.

You called me out specifically by name. Now you don't like it when I respond? What did you think was gonna happen?

I have my opinion and that's that.

I don't agree with the coaches, but what's done is done, and he'll obviously be in this class. We'll see how it works out.

Just goes to show what a meathead you really are.

I swear you must be like 15 years old.

Stop moving your ***** flaps for a minute and listen to respected posters like [MENTION=14457]Liberty City El[/MENTION], instead of constantly vomiting up your ignorance.

Okay well I'll die on the hill of thinking he got an offer from UGA. 247 said the offer was in February before this big season they had anyways. But **** even if he didn't, he's a Cane now. People are really acting like Miami is supposed to get an entire class full of 5 stars when even Bama doesn't do that. I even thought Miami should have offered that Taiyon Palmer kid that has had his offers blow up in the last week or so. But if this is who the coaching staff wants then hey, this is who they want. I'll hope that they can develop him.

Advertisement

Yea...we didn’t sign any other DBs this cycle either. What a disaster!

Our two year haul right now stands at Bandy, Ivey, Blades, and Bethel.

Blades and Bethel didn't/couldn't start for their HS teams at corner. Ivey's great. Bandy's great - we almost forced him to go to OU until we **** the bed with all our other CB prospects.

Alternatively, we lost Jobe, Davis, Henderson, Edwards, Samuel, Wilson, and perhaps Surtain/Campbell.

There's nothing wrong about realistically taking a look at what's happened/happening. You shouldn't take it personally. I like the few kids we've been able to land but it's nothing compared to what it should have been.

Advertisement

Blades and Bethel didn't/couldn't start for their HS teams at corner. Ivey's great. Bandy's great - we almost forced him to go to OU until we **** the bed with all our other CB prospects.

Alternatively, we lost Jobe, Davis, Henderson, Edwards, Samuel, Wilson, and perhaps Surtain/Campbell.

There's nothing wrong about realistically taking a look at what's happened/happening. You shouldn't take it personally. I like the few kids we've been able to land but it's nothing compared to what it should have been.

And it won't be until we start putting a guy in the early rounds of the draft every year again, like our competition already is. LSU, UF, Bama...they all put a **** load of DBs in the high rounds. Just the facts.

Bingo

I think he’s a very good prospect. But he weighs maybe 165 lbs right now. He’s not big enough to play yet with the way our corners are required to tackle and play the run. Maybe rotationally. We needed a guy or two that can play day 1

Inaccurate...and it’s not personal to me. Maybe to you, though. You sound really emotional.

Advertisement
[MENTION=4648]Pete[/MENTION], do you know if the staff still plans to start Frierson at safety or has that changed?

Bethel hustled an offer from a great school regardless if you guys think he will ever play or not. Gotta respect that hustle. He will graduate and be successful in life while most of us' crowning achievement will be getting +reps on a message board.

Realist ish you ever wrote. Watch him ball the **** out too

Hope you and the fam are well, G.

This, won't be close to touching teams like Clemson and bama missing on kids and settling. Some posters can't handle the truth

Inaccurate...and it’s not personal to me. Maybe to you, though. You sound really emotional.

Passionate about Miami football and how we're doing - I'm guilty. Acting like a baby that someone has a different opinion - you're guilty.

Advertisement
Back