Nigel Bethel commits

Never a good sign when a potential DB prospect has like 1 defensive highlight and it exposes bad man covg and tackling technique.

But on the bright side he's easily a Miami caliber athlete who could be a potent vertical threat and special teams weapon.

I'd bet he's a WR sooner or later and it looks like he can play. Sorry to the crybabies who think this is a wasted scholarship and evidence that the AH corners are gone.
Doesn’t mean much tbh, look at Malek Young senior highlight tape, he didn’t have many plays on defense like that either. Wouldn’t mind seeing bethels speed as an athlete on offense tbqh
Lol you cannot be serious.

You & that clown Meat were the two biggest proponents in us not taking Bethel no matter what.

You were 100% against it, you said he sucked & doesn't deserve to be at Miami. Don't hop on the bandwagon now.

Lol @ there being a Nigel Bethel bandwagon. This is not a kid that Miami should have to settle for...but apparently we whiffed on the AH kids so now we're on to Plan C...

The funniest part is how y'all are trying to make Bethel out to be this world beater now that he's committed. Didn't get an offer from any major school besides us, even though he played at the most heavily recruited school in America smh

Of course I'll support the kid, he's a cane...just like I support Charles Perry, Tre Johnson, and Trayone Gray. But I don't expect him to ever start at Miami. This is a waste of a scholly imo

247 has him with an offer from Georgia. Are they not a major school? I mean if you're gonna rail against the kid at least get your facts straight.

No chance this kid could commit to Georgia even if he wanted to.

The one kid who DOES have a choice between Miami and Georgia is Tyson Campbell.

Advertisement
Like I said, his offer became real the minute Malek retired. Funny how he jumped in almost immediately after Malek retired.

yup. They were slow playing him and the instant they really needed him, he shuts down his recruitment. The kid clearly wants to be a Cane and that is a trait unto itself.

For the time being we are still struggling getting the elite 5* kids, we don't do very well with the national sweethearts. We need a few of these 305 kids like Bethel to develop and take us to the next level.

Everyone wants to be a Cane when we're their best option.

It's the kids that have choices who still pick UM that really impress me. This kid was choosing between us and Akron.

Like I said, his offer became real the minute Malek retired. Funny how he jumped in almost immediately after Malek retired.

yup. They were slow playing him and the instant they really needed him, he shuts down his recruitment. The kid clearly wants to be a Cane and that is a trait unto itself.

For the time being we are still struggling getting the elite 5* kids, we don't do very well with the national sweethearts. We need a few of these 305 kids like Bethel to develop and take us to the next level.

It's the kids that have choices who still pick UM that really impress me. This kid was choosing between us and Akron.

Pete says this has nothing to do with the AH kids and you are complaining that we are settling for a Plan C kid. Anything to fit your agenda I guess.

I guess if you can't land Edwards, Davis, Henderson, Surtain, Campbell, Samuel, Jobe, or Wilson, you might as well take a shot on a tall WR from MNW.

We are incredibly fortunate that by way of sheer volume kids like Bandy and Ivey happen to exist in South Florida with no possible way to ***** it up (though we tried our best to lose Bandy, reminder). What a debacle. How can anyone have faith in what we're doing on the defensive side of the ball? There are big flashing "oh ****!" neon signs all over the place right now.

And Mark Richt is whistling past the graveyard.

Mark Richt is a great coach, but my one complaint about him is that he doesn't get involved with the defense AT ALL. He has left that side of the ball totally up to Manny Diaz, who is showing himself to be way in over his head.

The reason we missed on all those DB's is because Rumph and Banda are green as ****. They have no track record to point to. And then we go and hire Patke, another green coach for the linebackers.

I heard that at Texas, they made Diaz hire a veteran DB coach, and Diaz blames that on why he failed there. So it looks like Diaz is surrounding himself with a lot of younger "yes men"

Before anyone mentions Kool, Diaz did NOT hire him... Kool was hired before Diaz was.

I guess if you can't land Edwards, Davis, Henderson, Surtain, Campbell, Samuel, Jobe, or Wilson, you might as well take a shot on a tall WR from MNW.

We are incredibly fortunate that by way of sheer volume kids like Bandy and Ivey happen to exist in South Florida with no possible way to ***** it up (though we tried our best to lose Bandy, reminder). What a debacle. How can anyone have faith in what we're doing on the defensive side of the ball? There are big flashing "oh ****!" neon signs all over the place right now.

Until proven otherwise Miami can't. It's been that way for a long time too. Since we lost Patrick Peterson (Johnson) we've struck out with top DB's minus Tracy Howard. We've seen them leave one after the other and ball out elsewhere and against us. Everyone knows this trend must stop. Maybe Rumph works his relationship and kills the Ghost of PJ. Maybe he can reverse the Anti-Miami culture at AH. Maybe it's next year with Spaghetti whom seems to be a 5* lock to us.

For now Bethel is the best we can get and about the perfect project recruit to take a flier on. He's got everything it take to be a prototype CB. Folks are taking frustration out on him, and it's not his fault we suck at recruiting 5* DB's. He's a Cane now and we need him to develop.

Teams like Alabama hire legit DB coaches. Jeremy Pruitt was their DB coach a few years ago, for christ sake. We hire coaches directly out of High School.

It's kind of no wonder why we've struggled to recruit the position.

I don't know if it's Miami's admin who are STILL trying to cheap out on coaching hires, or if Manny Diaz is just the kind of manager who only hires "yes men..." but it's not a good sign IMO

Advertisement

Pete says this has nothing to do with the AH kids and you are complaining that we are settling for a Plan C kid. Anything to fit your agenda I guess.

Plan A: Jobe/Campbell/Surtain

Plan B: Samuel

Plan C: This kid

How hard is it to understand that this needed to happen after Young?

Until proven otherwise Miami can't. It's been that way for a long time too. Since we lost Patrick Peterson (Johnson) we've struck out with top DB's minus Tracy Howard. We've seen them leave one after the other and ball out elsewhere and against us. Everyone knows this trend must stop. Maybe Rumph works his relationship and kills the Ghost of PJ. Maybe he can reverse the Anti-Miami culture at AH. Maybe it's next year with Spaghetti whom seems to be a 5* lock to us.

For now Bethel is the best we can get and about the perfect project recruit to take a flier on. He's got everything it take to be a prototype CB. Folks are taking frustration out on him, and it's not his fault we suck at recruiting 5* DB's. He's a Cane now and we need him to develop.

Teams like Alabama hire legit DB coaches. Jeremy Pruitt was their DB coach a few years ago, for christ sake. We hire coaches directly out of High School.

I don't know if it's Miami's admin who are STILL trying to cheap out on coaching hires, or if Manny Diaz is just the kind of manager who only hires "yes men..." but it's not a good sign IMO

Jeremy Pruitt was hired as a DB coach at Alabama....from his position as DB coach at Hoover High.

Advertisement

Plan B: Samuel/Wilson/Joseph

Plan C: Keidron Smith/Chandler Jones/Stanley Garner/Miguel Edwards/Teshaun Smith/

Plan D: This kid

Plan B: Samuel/Wilson/Joseph

Plan C: Keidron Smith/Chandler Jones/Stanley Garner/Miguel Edwards/Teshaun Smith/

Plan D: This kid

What we're doing is signing another Larry Hope. Vernon Davis. Nate Dortch.

Kid got his offer from camp. No other offers nationally. Half the board is like "WTF", while the super-fans are up in arms defending every move the coach makes.

Yeah, we've seen this play out before.

Jeremy Pruitt was hired as a DB coach at Alabama....from his position as DB coach at Hoover High.

No, he wasn't. He was hired as a Director of Player Development in 2007. He didn't become a position coach (defensive backs) until 2010. FYI, I don't think Pruitt was ever a high school head coach only DC and position coach.

Never thought this board would get back to being as bad as it was during the end of the Folden reign of terror, but somehow it has. Sad!

Advertisement
Doesn’t mean much tbh, look at Malek Young senior highlight tape, he didn’t have many plays on defense like that either. Wouldn’t mind seeing bethels speed as an athlete on offense tbqh
Lol you cannot be serious.

You & that clown Meat were the two biggest proponents in us not taking Bethel no matter what.

You were 100% against it, you said he sucked & doesn't deserve to be at Miami. Don't hop on the bandwagon now.

Lol @ there being a Nigel Bethel bandwagon. This is not a kid that Miami should have to settle for...but apparently we whiffed on the AH kids so now we're on to Plan C...

The funniest part is how y'all are trying to make Bethel out to be this world beater now that he's committed. Didn't get an offer from any major school besides us, even though he played at the most heavily recruited school in America smh

Of course I'll support the kid, he's a cane...just like I support Charles Perry, Tre Johnson, and Trayone Gray. But I don't expect him to ever start at Miami. This is a waste of a scholly imo

247 has him with an offer from Georgia. Are they not a major school? I mean if you're gonna rail against the kid at least get your facts straight.

No chance this kid could commit to Georgia even if he wanted to.

The one kid who DOES have a choice between Miami and Georgia is Tyson Campbell.

Hahahaha he got dropped from the dumpster fire up north come on man.

No, he wasn't. He was hired as a Director of Player Development in 2007. He didn't become a position coach (defensive backs) until 2010. FYI, I don't think Pruitt was ever a high school head coach only DC and position coach.

Just lists him as DB coach at Hoover and others. And damnit I knew that but it lessens my point. But he’s acting like Pruitt was a college head coach before joining Alabama as DB coach. Corey Raymond, widely viewed as the best DB coach in football, was a S&C assistant in HS before taking same position at LSU for a year or so and then becoming the DB coach.

Never thought this board would get back to being as bad as it was during the end of the Folden reign of terror, but somehow it has. Sad!

It's truly unbelievable. We really, truly have the most irrational fanbase going in college football now. Like we are entitled to every South Florida recruit there is. **** the 15 years of being a dumpster fire program. We just finished year 2. Astounding.

Advertisement

Plan A also included Frierson, Ivey, and Hall who all had multiple power 5 offers. What's your point guy? To criticize for the sake of criticism? Would this guy be a take if he was listed as a 4 star athlete? If you don't recall, last year, we signed one of those so called athletes named Deejay Dallas as a potential WR/CB and he turned out to be a good RB for us. Meanwhile, he played QB in high school.

If you are here to just be negative then I guess enjoy the downvotes.

Yea...we didn’t sign any other DBs this cycle either. What a disaster!

Our two year haul right now stands at Bandy, Ivey, Blades, and Bethel.

Blades and Bethel didn't/couldn't start for their HS teams at corner. Ivey's great. Bandy's great - we almost forced him to go to OU until we **** the bed with all our other CB prospects.

Alternatively, we lost Jobe, Davis, Henderson, Edwards, Samuel, Wilson, and perhaps Surtain/Campbell.

There's nothing wrong about realistically taking a look at what's happened/happening. You shouldn't take it personally. I like the few kids we've been able to land but it's nothing compared to what it should have been.

Inaccurate...and it’s not personal to me. Maybe to you, though. You sound really emotional.

Passionate about Miami football and how we're doing - I'm guilty. Acting like a baby that someone has a different opinion - you're guilty.

Your post is still inaccurate. Kind of hard to debate someone so misinformed.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back