NHL PLAYOFFS....

lol What? He was crossed checked into his teammate who takes his hands off the stick to help thrust him to the ice. Massive choke by Vegas.

Advertisement
Even though the contact happened off a face off, I just read that neither ref signaled for even a minor penalty when the contact occurred. It was only after they saw him bleeding (from falling and hitting his head, not from the Vegas guy's contact) that they decided to call a major. That's absolute BS if that's the case.
Read the refs said because he got hurt that justified a major. That’s not how this works ref, with that logic if some trips you and you get hurt it’s a major. BS. Still embarrassing Vegas gave up 4 goals though

Let’s go B’s!!! Wooooooooo!!!!!

Grew up playing. Now I coach high school girls. It’s such a great game. Definitely the best to see live.

I watched that game. Not really big into hockey but my brother in law came over and wanted to watch it. They didn't call anything until after they got the guy off the ice. He definitely wasn't hit in the face but the second hit was what did the damage. The first hit knocked him off balance and then the second guy came in to clean him up. If the second guy just let up, Vegas is moving on to the next round. It was also weird that Vegas didn't call a timeout to try to regroup instead not just accepting their fate.

Advertisement
I watched that game. Not really big into hockey but my brother in law came over and wanted to watch it. They didn't call anything until after they got the guy off the ice. He definitely wasn't hit in the face but the second hit was what did the damage. The first hit knocked him off balance and then the second guy came in to clean him up. If the second guy just let up, Vegas is moving on to the next round. It was also weird that Vegas didn't call a timeout to try to regroup instead not just accepting their fate.
However, they called the penalty on the first guy, not the second guy. Further evidence that this was a penalty manufactured only after they saw the guy hurt.

However, they called the penalty on the first guy, not the second guy. Further evidence that this was a penalty manufactured only after they saw the guy hurt.

Exactly. Who sat in the box for 5 minutes? The guy who cross-checked him first (and not in the face), not the guy who knocked him down.

Watch old time hockey, even hockey from 10 years ago.. a little cross check on the faceoff wouldn’t be called. Like most sports, the intent to protect players is resulting in terrible officiating. Wish they’d just let them play. It’s a contact sport, every player knows the risk going in. Let em play ref! It’s playoff hockey. Blood, sweat, and tears!

Then call the 2 minute cross-check penalty.

The ref told the coach that the 5-minute major was for a cross-check to the face, which video shows NEVER happened.

If you're going to call it bull**** they called the major penalty on a phantom cross check to the head, I'm going to call it bull**** they don't call it a major for throwing a dudes head into the ice.

Vegas fans are trying to deflect the fact that that was maybe the biggest series choke in NHL history.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The SJ vs vegas series was a great series to watch and game seven was one of the best games to see all season, still see the east taking the cup

If you're going to call it bull**** they called the major penalty on a phantom cross check to the head, I'm going to call it bull**** they don't call it a major for throwing a dudes head into the ice.

Vegas fans are trying to deflect the fact that that was maybe the biggest series choke in NHL history.

I'm not a Vegas fan. I am a lifelong Blues fan. I don't give a ****e who won between a 2 and a 3 seed in a different division.

I have no rooting interest and it was a terrible call. All you are giving is the same attenuated bullsh!te argument that Ohio Taint fans made in 2003 (yeah, well the game never should have gone to overtime if they would have called a penalty earlier in the 4th quarter).

The refs did not see the cross-checking penalty at the time it happened. The refs used the blood on the ice to INCORRECTLY assess a major cross-checking penalty for (according to their explanation) a cross-check to the face that never happened.

I don't give a ****e if they called a penalty on the other player, but he din't "throw a dude's head into the ice". The play, while rough, was an unfortunate circumstance. Guys fall down all the time. They do wear helmets. Sometimes, even in spite of all of the gear, a significant injury occurs.

The cross-check was AT WORST a 2 minute penalty, and as someone has already pointed out, those kinds of cross-checks happen on about half of all faceoffs. The pulldown was AT WORST a 2 minute penalty. It is tragic and unfortunate that a serious injury occurred, but every single day you see some sort of penalty which COULD HAVE led to a serious injury, and it is very rare to give a 5-minute major. VERY rare.

I don't care one bit for either San Jose OR Vegas. They can both burn in ****. But we cannot sit around and allow the refs to call penalties they didn't see, or to call penalties simply for blood on the ice. You want more accuracy, put more refs on the ice or behind the glass, expand replay, hand out massive fines for hard hits, whatever.

But allowing a ref to retroactively call a 5-minute major for a penalty he did not see, and then to claim that something happened that did not happen...that's just bush league.

Agree
I'm not a Vegas fan. I am a lifelong Blues fan. I don't give a ****e who won between a 2 and a 3 seed in a different division.

I have no rooting interest and it was a terrible call. All you are giving is the same attenuated bullsh!te argument that Ohio Taint fans made in 2003 (yeah, well the game never should have gone to overtime if they would have called a penalty earlier in the 4th quarter).

The refs did not see the cross-checking penalty at the time it happened. The refs used the blood on the ice to INCORRECTLY assess a major cross-checking penalty for (according to their explanation) a cross-check to the face that never happened.

I don't give a ****e if they called a penalty on the other player, but he din't "throw a dude's head into the ice". The play, while rough, was an unfortunate circumstance. Guys fall down all the time. They do wear helmets. Sometimes, even in spite of all of the gear, a significant injury occurs.

The cross-check was AT WORST a 2 minute penalty, and as someone has already pointed out, those kinds of cross-checks happen on about half of all faceoffs. The pulldown was AT WORST a 2 minute penalty. It is tragic and unfortunate that a serious injury occurred, but every single day you see some sort of penalty which COULD HAVE led to a serious injury, and it is very rare to give a 5-minute major. VERY rare.

I don't care one bit for either San Jose OR Vegas. They can both burn in ****. But we cannot sit around and allow the refs to call penalties they didn't see, or to call penalties simply for blood on the ice. You want more accuracy, put more refs on the ice or behind the glass, expand replay, hand out massive fines for hard hits, whatever.

But allowing a ref to retroactively call a 5-minute major for a penalty he did not see, and then to claim that something happened that did not happen...that's just bush league.

But we cannot sit around and allow the refs to call penalties they didn't see, or to call penalties simply for blood on the ice. You want more accuracy, put more refs on the ice or behind the glass, expand replay, hand out massive fines for hard hits, whatever.

Agree with this for sure. ^

Both fans have a right to call bull****. Maybe we saw it differently, the initial "cross-check" wasn't as malicious as a dude pitting his fist into the head area of a player falling backward. The "They called the wrong 5 minute major penalty" from the Vegas fans doesn't draw any sympathy from me. But completely agree on making a penalty call based on the aftermath being ridiculous.

Agree

But we cannot sit around and allow the refs to call penalties they didn't see, or to call penalties simply for blood on the ice. You want more accuracy, put more refs on the ice or behind the glass, expand replay, hand out massive fines for hard hits, whatever.

Agree with this for sure. ^

Both fans have a right to call bull****. Maybe we saw it differently, the initial "cross-check" wasn't as malicious as a dude pitting his fist into the head area of a player falling backward. The "They called the wrong 5 minute major penalty" from the Vegas fans doesn't draw any sympathy from me. But completely agree on making a penalty call based on the aftermath being ridiculous.

Look, I would love to see both football and hockey become safer sports. It's fun to see the hard hits, but I don't want my sports heroes to lose their ability to live long lives just to "entertain" people.

I just want to see some consistency in the officiating. I hate "make-up" penalty calls. Either get the call right, live with imperfection, or find a replay methodology that supplements what the refs are able to do.

Many of the all-time most infamous "blown calls" have nothing to do with my team. But the 1988 UM-Notre Dame game and the 2003 UM-Ohio Taint game are burned into my brain.

The whole situation for San Jose-Vegas was ridiculous, regardless of rooting interest. Yes, one team should not have folded so easily, and one team should get credit for intestinal fortitude. But the call AS MADE was terrible. That is all.

Advertisement
Then call the 2 minute cross-check penalty.

The ref told the coach that the 5-minute major was for a cross-check to the face, which video shows NEVER happened.
Vegas has a right to be ****ed...and I dont have a dog in that fight. That is game 7 in the 3rd period and you dont call a major for that particular play. At worst that is given two 2 minute minors and play to the end. All of us that are true hockey heads know this is truth.

Blues fan since birth (in the Lou). My parents still have the commemorative Pepsi (glass) bottles from when the Blues made it to the Stanley Cup finals in their first couple of seasons (based on the playoff format at the time).

Would love to see one of the longest dry spells in any sport end with the hoisting of Lord Stanley's cup.
Wings fan here. I feel for Blues' fans

Advertisement
This too; if it was an easier place bet, it would be a more popular sport
Hockey is hands down one of the most entertaining, exciting sports out there. The athleticism is takes to skate physically forwards & backwards at a high speed is unbelievable. Most ppl don’t funk w hockey b/c they can’t conceivably imagine or relate to what these guys do. Ppl can go in the backyard and play football, go to the blacktop and play b-ball or go hit the diamond and play some baseball. Most can’t hit the rink and play hockey, so they deem it as boring.

Love me some hockey, man. Best game to go see in person, by far. Dudes r tough as nails, but most importantly, the goal is to JUST make the playoffs b/c a # 8 seed can easily knock off a # 1. So much parity in that joint.
love that you are a hockey fan.

Advertisement
Back