Nfl free agency thread

One of the cooler comps I saw to JTT was via the athletic comps...Cadillac Williams.

You dont see too many Cadillac Williams comps out there.

Advertisement
I don't know why i'm even going further. Your throwing out crap Pro Bowls and a SB MVP that a guy never won.

You're right on James White not winning the Super Bowl MVP. I forgot Brady stole that one.

White merely set a Super Bowl record for receptions (14) and scored 3 TDs. Pretty good for a fringe player.

Then talking about Mahomes production at TT. His production was the standard coming from that program. Perhaps that the league is now along the lines of what TT QB have been doing for years and Mahomes hit at the right time. Which doesn't equal the same success for a RB coming from a program that has a 1990's offense in a pass happy league.

Mahomes is an example of why it's silly to evaluate based on school. The irony is that we are talking about Jonathan Taylor, Melvin Gordon and James White when they have completely different running styles and measurables. Their only similarity is the helmet.

Stating Taylor is more explosive that Gordon but giving no substance of how your making that argument.

Jonathan Taylor ran 4.39. Melvin Gordon ran 4.52. Jonathan Taylor's PR in the 100M is 10.49. Melvin Gordon's PR is 10.95. Those numbers, plus the eye test, tell me Taylor is much more explosive. He also weights ten pounds more.

Evaluate the player, not the laundry.

You're right on James White not winning the Super Bowl MVP. I forgot Brady stole that one.

White merely set a Super Bowl record for receptions (14) and scored 3 TDs. Pretty good for a fringe player.

Mahomes is an example of why it's silly to evaluate based on school. The irony is that we are talking about Jonathan Taylor, Melvin Gordon and James White when they have completely different running styles and measurables. Their only similarity is the helmet.

Jonathan Taylor ran 4.39. Melvin Gordon ran 4.52. Jonathan Taylor's PR in the 100M is 10.49. Melvin Gordon's PR is 10.95. Those numbers, plus the eye test, tell me Taylor is much more explosive. He also weights ten pounds more.

Evaluate the player, not the laundry.

20-Yard Shuttle
Gordon - 4.07 / 98th Percentile
Taylor - 4.24 / 49th Percentile

Broad Jump
Gordon - 126 / 91st Percentile
Taylor - 123 / 80th Percentile

60 Yard Shuttle
Gordon - 11s / 98th Pecentile
Taylor - Not Tested

Vertical Jump
Gordon - 35 / 56th Percentle
Taylor - 36 / 70th Percentile

MUCH MORE explosive? idk about all that.

/I think Melvin Gordon stinks, but...if you're using numbers, use them all.

Advertisement
20-Yard Shuttle

Broad Jump

60 Yard Shuttle
Taylor - Not Tested

Vertical Jump

Giving each Combine testing result equal weight/importance is a mistake. For each position, certain things matter more.

Taylor is ahead of Gordon where it's most important.

Top 3 NFL Combine predictors for NFL success for a RB are in order:

1) 40 Time
2) Weight
3) 3 Cone Drill

Advertisement
Giving each Combine testing result equal weight/importance is a mistake. For each position, certain things matter more.

Taylor is ahead of Gordon where it's most important.

Top 3 NFL Combine predictors for NFL success for a RB are in order:

1) 40 Time
2) Weight
3) 3 Cone Drill

None of those are really explosion drills...DMoney was talking about explosion. Gordon had some pretty impressive numbers in some of those drills.

I like JTT as a prospect and think Melvin Gordon is a bum...you're preaching to the choir...but he was cherry picking.

20-Yard Shuttle

Broad Jump

60 Yard Shuttle
Taylor - Not Tested

Vertical Jump

I didn't go off their combine numbers in shorts, but if i did. A 4.39 is a 4.4 with lipstick on. If they ran the 40 at the same time. They would both be at the finish line side by side practically. I went off of film and in no way shape or form does Taylor look more explosive.

Wisconsin offense was more explosive with Gordon at RB than it was with Taylor and the numbers prove that.

The time will come when he gets the chance to prove he just wasn't another RB at Wisconsin.

None of those are really explosion drills...DMoney was talking about explosion. Gordon had some pretty impressive numbers in some of those drills.

I like JTT as a prospect and think Melvin Gordon is a bum...you're preaching to the choir...but he was cherry picking.

Exchange "much more explosive" for "much better prospect" - and DMoney is dead on. Even though I'd say Taylor is more explosive as well.

Gordon is an very interesting measuring stick on what people consider a talented RB. I think Gordon is much better than "a bum", but I think we're just looking at different things in evaluating RB's.

I'm looking at age for a RB's dropoff (I wouldn't gamble on them past 28) whereas it seems you favor carries/volume (seems like 1,000 carries is roughly your dropoff? I could be totally wrong here)

You favor Six Sigma - but where you see guys like Cook (6th percentile) and Fournette (11th percentile) as poor athletes, I'm looking at their Weight/40 and seeing 240 / 4.51 and 210 / 4.49 and not even caring about their terrible verticals.

I think different people favor different metrics. It's a very inexact science and no one is right wrong. No one has the answers - only their opinions.

Sh*t crazy lol. Why give up a 5th round pick for him when you got Haskins? They should have just brought Jameis Winston in

Probably because like EVERYONE else they think Jameis Winston is a bum...and he has a relationshp with Allen...who is cool with being a back up type.

Advertisement
Its just an athletic profile comp.

PJ Walker had a very good showing in the XFL. Glad he's getting a chance in the league.

The new HC of the Panthers i believed coached him at Temple. Walker looked pretty good in the XFL. Looked a lil like Tyrod Taylor. Hopefully he makes the roster.

10.41 in the 100M and 4.39 is a different level of home-run hitting ability.

How many RBs in the NFL have those numbers at 225 pounds? Do any?

Advertisement

Miami Central kid that played well at USF getting a shot with the Saints, happy for him.

A kid i wanted us to offer back when he came out. Good for him..hopefully he gets to cash some nfl checks. Similar to him Cris Lammons (Plantation) and Rashad Fenton(Carol City) are other 2 kids we aint get that were easy gets that are still cashinmg nfl checks at cb.

Exchange "much more explosive" for "much better prospect" - and DMoney is dead on. Even though I'd say Taylor is more explosive as well.

Gordon is an very interesting measuring stick on what people consider a talented RB. I think Gordon is much better than "a bum", but I think we're just looking at different things in evaluating RB's.

I'm looking at age for a RB's dropoff (I wouldn't gamble on them past 28) whereas it seems you favor carries/volume (seems like 1,000 carries is roughly your dropoff? I could be totally wrong here)

You favor Six Sigma - but where you see guys like Cook (6th percentile) and Fournette (11th percentile) as poor athletes, I'm looking at their Weight/40 and seeing 240 / 4.51 and 210 / 4.49 and not even caring about their terrible verticals.

I think different people favor different metrics. It's a very inexact science and no one is right wrong. No one has the answers - only their opinions.

I think Taylor is a better prospect by quite a bit. FWIW, I liked Dalvin Cook quite a bit coming out, too. Did not like Leonard Fournette.

Wouldn't take Taylor R1, but thats preference. I like AJ Dillon, too, which is funny since I think he's kind of like Fournette...I just think you can get him late Day 2, Day 3 and I'm cool with that versus Top 5 like Fournette went.

Jtt = Jonathan Taylor? I dont See that comparison at all

Scott Reynolds from Pewter Report said on a podcast that Gruden drafted Cadillac because of his name, saying "Gruden was a weird guy like that".

SMH man we had Gruden and Allen drafting guys based on name or 40 time (Dexter Jackson, Sabby Piscitelli) and now we have Licht trading up to get a mediocre college kicker in the 2nd round. And dudes wanna argue with me that teams know what they're doing and fans don't have a clue.

Last edited:
Scott Reynolds from Pewter Report said on a podcast that Gruden drafted Cadillac because of his name, saying "Gruden was a weird guy like that".

SMH man we had Gruden and Allen drafting guys based on name or 40 time (Dexter Jackson, Sabby Piscitelli) and now we have Licht trading up to get a mediocre college kicker in the 2nd rounder. And dudes wanna argue with me that teams know what they're doing and fans don't have a clue.

I recruit players in NCAA Football based on name.

But I've won 60 National Championships, I can do those things.

Advertisement
Back