NFL Combine invites by team (2020)

That is absurd. It’s not at all irrelevant. We’re just so desperate as a fan base that we overplay and overrate everything. He had a very good freshman year. Our team sucked. He didn’t start for a while. No dishonor that he wasn’t an all american.

Which kids have we had who legit deserved AA honors and got screwed out of them, the past decade?

At some point, we need to have some common f'n sense in this discussion. Yeah, we have enough talent to win the Coastal...but why in the fvck would you support your argument with numbers that say "we have talent...look...Kc McDermott! Graig Cooper! Dedrick Epps! Marcus Forston!"...how can we even have a discussion if thats ultimately a part of the evidence by the prosecution.

And, we completely ignore the downward trend. 8 guys going to the NFL Combine, not a single one projected to be Day 1, Day 2 picks. 16 players draft in rounds 1-3 since 2010.

Past FIVE drafts (2020 included)...averaged 1 player taken on Day 1/Day 2.

Calais Campbell and Brandon Linder are cool and all, but they are like 4 coaches ago and things have gotten much worse since...so throw all of the Jermaine Grace is in the NFL still takes at me as you'd like, but if you're saying we've got talent that competes at the top of the nation (which is ultimately what discussions like this insinuate even if they don't come out and say it...don't get it twisted), you're not seeing what I'm seeing. At some point we need to realize that Nick Saban wasn't getting more out of Jamal Carter than we did because Jamal Carter is what he is...its why he's just a practice squad guy...even the NFL can't much out of most of the players Miami has had. They give'em a shot, but they are duds. That's the point...even the "NFL talent" that gets propped up in these threads are a majority of duds the NFL gives a shot to, only to realize that yup, they aren't that good. That was my point at the beginning of this thread...D$ was making the same posts when Stacy Coley had a cup of coffee in the NFL and now he's begging for jobs in the XFL.

A majority of players D$ has propped his argument up on are about to ride off into the sunset, and when they do, this discussion changes dramatically for my man. Like, you aren't going to be able to use Artie Burns and Ereck Flowers like to support your argument like Calais, Olivier Vernon, and Jimmy Graham have.

Advertisement
Yeah, we have enough talent to win the Coastal...but why in the fvck would you support your argument with numbers that say "we have talent...look...Kc McDermott! Graig Cooper! Dedrick Epps! Marcus Forston!"..

Not one of those players is in the NFL, and nobody has mentioned them besides you.

Let’s focus on the 36 players in the pros and the $577 million that professional GMs decided to pay them.

The all American comment is pretty irrelevant when you have guys like greg Rousseau with the season he just had not receive any all American consideration. These writers don’t like Miami period so they aren’t going to vote for the players like that so it doesn’t say much of anything.
Rousseau was a 2nd Team All American.

No word games. Just repeating what you said. Did you misspeak?
i don’t think so. You just pretend to misconstrue the point because potato.

I wrote that: ‘volume of non-nfl kids is quite obviously the elephant in the room in this discussion.’

You responded with ’How do we compare to the rest of the country in “volume of non-nfl kids.”’

I responded: ‘Quite obviously poorly, insofar as our guys haven’t played well enough.’

Here you dive into the semantic game, thinking you caugnt a fantasy win. You responded: ‘So we have more “non-NFL players” than the rest of the country, despite having the third-most NFL players in the country?”

*strawman alert*

Clearly, I didn’t say that, and it’s a silly inference that goes nowwhere. The important point was obviously that the ‘volume of non-nfl kids‘ is the bulk of the roster and an important pool to assess if you’re making a claim about overall roster talent.’

Not one of those players is in the NFL, and nobody has mentioned them besides you.

Let’s focus on the 36 players in the pros and the $577 million that professional GMs decided to pay them.

Kc McDermott is currently one of your 47 players counted as "in the NFL" just like those other names have propped up this same argument you've had for years.

If you need contemporary names...Dee Delaney, Trent Harris, Ufomba Kamalu and his 12 tackles in 5 years in the NFL. The point remains the same.

Advertisement
Kc McDermott is currently one of your 47 players counted as "in the NFL" just like those other names have propped up this same argument you've had for years.

If you need contemporary names...Dee Delaney, Trent Harris, Ufomba Kamalu and his 12 tackles in 5 years in the NFL. The point remains the same.

Don’t know where you’re getting your numbers, but I’m relying on this tweet from the NFL which has us at 36.

No word games. Just repeating what you said. Did you misspeak?

We stack up high there, too, if you look at recruiting rankings. Other schools wanted our players.

But we’re supposed to ignore recruiting rankings. And NFL numbers. And NFL salaries. The best measure of our talent is the opinion of posters who don’t know what other rosters look like. The stats are just a distraction.
You are trying hard to sound like you have a case but you present no meaningful analysis of our actual rosters, which is why it’s obvious to smyone reading these exchanges that your case is message board hyperbole, not actual football analysis.

The factors for you to consider in assessing roster talent aren’t complex. They’ve been mentioned in this thread. They just include actual UM-specific considerations, not just other people’s rankings for their ow purposes before kids get to UM or after they depart.

Don’t know where you’re getting your numbers, but I’m relying on this NFL tweet which has us at 36.

Throughout an NFL season players are added on and off rosters and practice squads.

Taking a static number from Sept for a discussion in February probably not the best move on your part.

And you mention these guys every time you post these raw numbers. You just don't want to discuss the particulars.

If you think we have talent because Kamalu and Olsen Pierre collect NFL paychecks, idk what to tell you. We are working with different definitions I guess.

Throughout an NFL season players are added on and off rosters and practice squads.

Taking a static number from Sept for a discussion in February probably not the best move on your part.

When was Kc McDermott on a 53?

Advertisement
Now we get to the part where you pick and choose our NFL talent. He's been rostered for two years.

On the 53-man roster or practice squad?

Everything I’m seeing says practice squad, but if he made the team go ahead and add him to Miami’s NFL list.

Last edited:
Advertisement
If volume is important, we are third in total NFL players.

So to recap: we still put a lot of players in the pros, they get paid a lot, and there are more on the way.

D$ - You've got a great point on numbers and volume of players. That definitely counts for a lot and shows Miami still produces talent.

I think the part you'e not giving enough attention to is Miami's lack of star power/top guys in the NFL. Calais Campbell, Olivier Vernon, Brandon Linder - those guys aren't exactly household names.

Look at the careers of our guys who did get drafted high the last 10 years:

1st Round - Njoku, Flowers, Burns, Dorsett
2nd Round - Perryman, Franklin, Harris

You've got some solid careers - but at best I'd say Perryman and Franklin played to the level where they were drafted and Njoku is still TBD. Flowers, Burns, Dorsett, and Harris were disappointments in terms of their draft positions. None are even close to being "star" players.

Jimmy Graham is the only real "star" player Miami has produced in 10 years, and he only caught 17 passes in 1 year at Miami, so it's hard to even count him.

On the 53-man roster or practice squad?

Everything I’m seeing says practice squad, but if he made the team go ahead and add him to Miami’s NFL list.

You're going back and forth on your data is partially the problem. You mention active roster, but also using total dollars given to players (players collecting NFL paychecks, of which, on-again-off-again roster members and practice squad players count toward that total...so which is it?

You're going back and forth on your data is partially the problem. You mention active roster, but also using total dollars given to players (players collecting NFL paychecks, of which, on-again-off-again roster members and practice squad players count toward that total...so which is it?
Who’s on again and off again? Miami started the season with the 3rd most active nfl players and finished with the 3rd most active nfl players.

what’s funny is shouldn’t these schools that produce all these top round talent according to y’all have more staying power in the league and more guys in the nfl than Miami? some of these other schools are getting more premium draft picks than Miami yet results show a lot of their players flame out because if they didn’t they theoretically should have more players than the U since according to you guys Miami is not putting any real talent in the league(despite all that Miami is still top 3 in active nfl players more than some of these schools producing elite talent)

Advertisement
You mention active roster, but also using total dollars given to players (players collecting NFL paychecks, of which, on-again-off-again roster members and practice squad players count toward that total...so which is it?

Take your pick. Miami ranks high in both.

D$ - You've got a great point on numbers and volume of players. That definitely counts for a lot and shows Miami still produces talent.

I think the part you'e not giving enough attention to is Miami's lack of star power/top guys in the NFL. Calais Campbell, Olivier Vernon, Brandon Linder - those guys aren't exactly household names.

Look at the careers of our guys who did get drafted high the last 10 years:

1st Round - Njoku, Flowers, Burns, Dorsett
2nd Round - Perryman, Franklin, Harris

You've got some solid careers - but at best I'd say Perryman and Franklin played to the level where they were drafted and Njoku is still TBD. Flowers, Burns, Dorsett, and Harris were disappointments in terms of their draft positions. None are even close to being "star" players.

Jimmy Graham is the only real "star" player Miami has produced in 10 years, and he only caught 17 passes in 1 year at Miami, so it's hard to even count him.
The entire discussion is short-bus level flawed.

The premise is that nfl stats tell you about miami rosters. But just like a few companies‘ stock prices doing well doesn’t tell you what their index is doing, a few kids doing well down the line doesn’t tell you about the actual roster talent at Miami.

A coach has to manage an 85 man roster, fill it, have depth, balance, experience. None of that is picked up by nfl rosters or salaries. Jimmy Graham’s success is nice but it doesn’t mean his talent was meaningful at Miami. And Ereck Flowers being drafted high doesn’t mean his Miami contributions were great, or that his nfl career has been. Playing true frosh often is a sign of roster deficiencies. In D$’s nfl view, it might look good in retrospect. If Nelson becomes an nfl player, someone will someday tell us our ‘19 line had ‘nfl’ talent. If their point is re the talent we rolled out in ‘19, they’d be misleading us (scaife notwithstanding).

Advertisement
Back