Next steps after RB Henry Parrish's departure

Martínez also makes sense just from the situation Oregon St finds themselves in as a program. He’s too good to be on a team that doesn’t have real postseason aspirations. He’s originally a Texas kid from outside Dallas so not saying Miami is close to home, but Oregon is pretty far.

I still think it ends up being Donaldson, which in my eyes wouldn’t necessarily be categorized as a Cam Ward-esque pickup. Good for sure, but not great.

Guys like Martinez, Jeanty, Taj Brooks, Ott and Quinton Cooley would fit the mold imo.
If Donaldson was going to be here, he'd be here by now. There seems to be a lot of groundswell pointing to a major addition at the position and even national guys like Josh Pate are dropping subtle hints in that regard.

Don't get me wrong, a kid who rushed for 800 yards and 11 TD's on 5 YPC, moves the needle a bit, but I feel like they're going to be aiming even higher.

Advertisement
Agreed, that is why I honed in on the "Cam Ward" type of pickup. He was without a doubt top 2 in the QB transfer market and the top 2 were far and ahead of #3. As far as Pate, I thought the tweet itself spoke more than him saying "adequate" as in he doesnt tweet about every transfer so why tweet about parrish unless he is bookmarking something to pull a receipt later.

Also agree Fall is typically when you see the bigger influx but who knows but like you said we just need that one.
Pate is pretty plugged in and has already insinuated that the spring portal is going to be madness. Again, there seems to be a belief that Miami already has a back lined up

If Donaldson was going to be here, he'd be here by now. There seems to be a lot of groundswell pointing a major addition at the position and even national guys like Josh Pate are dropping subtle hints.

Don't get me wrong, a kid who rushed for 800 yards and 11 TD's on 5 YPC, moves the needle a bit, but I feel like they're going to be aiming even higher.
He had a great 2022, but to me he seemed to run slower in 2023. He was also banged up, but the emergence of Jaheim White during his injury indicated to me at least, that it’ll be a split backfield in 2024. Maybe he doesn’t want to deal with that after the Spring finishes up. Heck, maybe White beats him out.

I agree with you though, the clues point to someone big. I think this all leads back to Mario knowing he has a sure-fire baller at QB with a **** good WR in Restrepo and a solid OL. He just needs to put the finishing touches on the offense with another WR and an RB to take the pressure off the passing game.

I’m more excited for the Spring portal than spring ball to be honest. I think there will be plenty of players capable of upgrading our roster at key positions, more than any other spring window has previously produced. College football is basically free agency.

If they're going be taking a similar approach to RB that they did to QB then no one should be off the table. I'm sure Ward will be part of the pitch in addition to a substantial NIL bag
this ... now we approach guys with an NFL level qb, a 1000 yard receiver and a good offensive line ... as well as a good NIL program ... based on those facts and mario's history, i'm expecting a big time guy

this ... now we approach guys with an NFL level qb, a 1000 yard receiver and a good offensive line ... as well as a good NIL program ... based on those facts and mario's history, i'm expecting a big time guy

I'm sorry but players aren't inking NIL deals like this playing in college towns. Stuff like this is a proof of concept that playing in major market like Miami gives an athlete access to opportunities that they likely wouldn't have at 98% of the other programs in CFB

Advertisement
Pate is pretty plugged in and has already insinuated that the spring portal is going to be madness. Again, there seems to be a belief that Miami already has a back lined up
I still think the spring names will surprise people

I realize that’s a ****** cryptic fake insider statement but this belief that it’s only going to be guys buried on depth charts is not correct

I’m no NIL expert but I’ve seen enough about how teams are approaching this and budgeting it to know this spring might be different than any previous ones

I think a lot of good players wanted to get their bag but opted to wait for spring when the pickings were less and teams had a better handle on their budgets post winter portal

Just the vibe I get though

I realize that’s a ****** cryptic fake insider statement but this belief that it’s only going to be guys buried on depth charts is not correct

I’m no NIL expert but I’ve seen enough about how teams are approaching this and budgeting it to know this spring might be different than any previous ones

I think a lot of good players wanted to get their bag but opted to wait for spring when the pickings were less and teams had a better handle on their budgets post winter portal

For sure. The Spring Portal period has usually been lighter as far as starpower, but I believe that a number of guys waited the winter window out to see who landed where

That's the thing now that makes it different than the past. Pre NIL, it was mostly just guys buried on depth charts entering that late in the portal. Sure the winter window may have MORE impact players, but the spring window is a different animal when a team can go through spring workouts, ID a weakness and then backdoor tamper with NIL to plug a hole on the team. Not saying the spring window will be overflowing with talent, but there will definitely be some names that excite people that come up now.

For sure. The Spring Portal period has usually been lighter as far as starpower, but I believe that a number of guys waited the winter window out to see who landed where

I think a good way to describe this upcoming window is tiers. The Fall window you have a full gambit. Studs who want pay raises, moving on due to coaching changes, unhappy about playing time, believe they could be used better elsewhere, and guys who just got beat. Legit you have the upper echelon Day 1 Starters (Ward, Downs, etc) then you have your middle of the pack guys (Chaney, Parrish) then your depth guys (Malik Curtis).

For Spring I see it as your day 1 starters that had some back channeling and are entering the portal with a known destination then a huge drop off, then depth guys that were passed up in spring ball and want a fresh start elsewhere, much less middleground.

Advertisement
I think a good way to describe this upcoming window is tiers. The Fall window you have a full gambit. Studs who want pay raises, moving on due to coaching changes, unhappy about playing time, believe they could be used better elsewhere, and guys who just got beat. Legit you have the upper echelon Day 1 Starters (Ward, Downs, etc) then you have your middle of the pack guys (Chaney, Parrish) then your depth guys (Malik Curtis).

For Spring I see it as your day 1 starters that had some back channeling and are entering the portal with a known destination then a huge drop off, then depth guys that were passed up in spring ball and want a fresh start elsewhere, much less middleground.
Could be right

I’ll just say that we are in uncharted territory imo

It’s a business and businesses and employees have to adjust and just things I read and hear tells me the market is changing. All that Business 101 bull**** to say…I’m not sure what we will see 😂

Advertisement
Agreed, that is why I honed in on the "Cam Ward" type of pickup. He was without a doubt top 2 in the QB transfer market and the top 2 were far and ahead of #3. As far as Pate, I thought the tweet itself spoke more than him saying "adequate" as in he doesnt tweet about every transfer so why tweet about parrish unless he is bookmarking something to pull a receipt later.

Also agree Fall is typically when you see the bigger influx but who knows but like you said we just need that one.
It could very well happen. I'm just jaded, and I don't blame D$, but his job on this board is to generate excitement.

Example - last summer D$ reported coaches thought Ajay Allen would be a "jersey guy" - like fans would be wearing his jersey to games because he was that good. Who knows - that could still happen.

Right now D$ is reporting 6-0 180 CWH size looks similar to 5-9 210 Duke Johnson - he's just "taller, doesn't weigh as much, and isn't as physical".
So you know....CWH is built similar to Duke Johnson except for the small fact that he's built nothing like Duke Johnson.

It's hype season!

Advertisement
Let's just play optimists here for a sec and say we land a whale of a transfer at RB - historically lot's of very good teams had stud qb's paired with a great back....this could get interesting

My biggest beef with the RBs last year was we did not have a guy that could break loose once he hit the secondary. I love Fletcher but he doesn't have the speed to be that guy and his vision was not great. Between Fletcher and Parrish, they had 1 run over 40 yards...on 200+ carries.

With how this O-Line performs, they need to go find a guy who can hit the hole and just fly.

We were never gonna rock with 10 RB, the room was gonna have to clear out, I BEEN saying that.. Didnt know the local guy who portaled in was gonna be the guy but it happens.. AND was expected so yea.. already know what train Im on.. so I aint sweating it..

Not quite sure why you are saying that. We are absolutely pursuing a replacement for Parrish, so "numbers" should remain similar.

Advertisement
Back