Next Head basketball coach at Miami...............................Definitely not an old guy, please.

Da_Lucky_One

All ACC
In fairness, this topic only comes up during a losing streak or in the midst of the team not playing well. Of course, winning cures all so if Miami wins the next two or three games, we will not discuss this topic at all.
At some point, whether it is when Coach L's contract expires or he decides to retire or Blake James decides to go another route, a coaching change will occur. What credentials you want in the next coach will vary, what type of offense or defense he runs is debatable but there is one thing we should all agree upon. Miami should never hire another older coach in or near his 60s who has coached for over 20 plus years.
I am not being disrespectful to older guys but after the way Mark Richt handled the football team and the current state of the basketball team with Jim Larannaga, it is becoming obvious that older coaches don't have the drive and desire it takes to win consistently on a yearly basis that is required to keep fans interested in Miami sports. Between recruiting, traveling, media appearances and alumni obligations, the stress on winning coaches is at an all time high and it is not getting easier.
I know a lot of people come to South Florida to retire but the Miami Hurricanes should not be your last opportunity for one last check before you head into retirement.

Advertisement
In the last 20 years we've had 3 coaches: 1 "old guy", who led us to our best season in school history, 2nd best season in school history, 2 other tournament appearances, 4 NCAA tourney wins, an NIT final, and the best recruiting class in school history. We've also had 2 "young guys" who combined for half as many tournament appearances and a total of 1 NCAA tournament win, in more seasons than the "old guy".

And your analysis of that is that we should focus on young guys?

Sure, if the next Billy Donavan becomes available, let's get him. But realistically, if the next Billy Donavan becomes available, he's not coming to Miami. And if somehow we catch lightning in a bottle and hire a rising star, he'll be gone within 2 years.

For argument's sake let's say you are right and 60+ coaches do not have the drive, you can always contract assistants that would have the drive a carry the recruiting all over the place burden. Anyway if coach K decides to "retire" in Miami you gonna say no to him?!

Has anyone ever considered that Jim Larannaga looks like a really good coach at Miami because most of the other coaches at Miami have been really bad? Yes, Coach L seems to be big fish in a little pond.

If you compared his body of work at Miami to other schools, would they settle for 2 Sweet Sixteens in 10 years with a couple of NIT and NCAA appearances? Of course, mid majors would love that but Miami is a power 5 schools in a power 5 conference. Definitely not in a what have you done for me lately sports world.

Next season is an ideal situation for Coach L. Coach L will have 5 seniors on his roster and a pretty good 11 man roster. Coach L really should use those last two scholarships on two more freshman bigs. The fair expectation for next season is Sweet Sixteen given his previous success in 2013 and 2016 with "older teams". Coach L literally has everything he needs to be successful at his highest level next season at Miami. All his eggs are in one basket. Let's hope Coach L and the staff meet those expectations because no coach in America can keep their job with 3 straight losing seasons.

I am not on the fire Jim Larannaga train at this point but he needs to do himself a favor and win some games so this does not become his reality.

Advertisement

Will Wade was also involved in the FBI investigation and he is currently under investigation by the NCAA. That has not stopped him in recruiting.
Don't tell me LSU is paying basketball players as they are a football school.

Has anyone ever considered that Jim Larannaga looks like a really good coach at Miami because most of the other coaches at Miami have been really bad? Yes, Coach L seems to be big fish in a little pond.

If you compared his body of work at Miami to other schools, would they settle for 2 Sweet Sixteens in 10 years with a couple of NIT and NCAA appearances? Of course, mid majors would love that but Miami is a power 5 schools in a power 5 conference. Definitely not in a what have you done for me lately sports world.

Next season is an ideal situation for Coach L. Coach L will have 5 seniors on his roster and a pretty good 11 man roster. Coach L really should use those last two scholarships on two more freshman bigs. The fair expectation for next season is Sweet Sixteen given his previous success in 2013 and 2016 with "older teams". Coach L literally has everything he needs to be successful at his highest level next season at Miami. All his eggs are in one basket. Let's hope Coach L and the staff meet those expectations because no coach in America can keep their job with 3 straight losing seasons.

I am not on the fire Jim Larannaga train at this point but he needs to do himself a favor and win some games so this does not become his reality.

Leonard Hamilton begs to differ as to your first point.

And if we're being realistic, Larranaga's record is decent for a power 5 school. Put our last 9 years up against Wake Forest, Clemson, BC, Pitt, VT, and GT, and tell me who's done better.

You're trying to compare us to upper-echelon programs, and we're not there, nor have we ever been there.

Coach L has put us in position to be consistently in the middle-third to upper-half of what is arguably the best b-ball conference in America. That's an extraordinary feat in and of itself, coming from where this program has always been.

I'm not saying we shouldn't strive to be better, more consistent. Of course, our goal should be to get a place where we can contend for ACC titles every few years and be a regular in the tourney.

What I'm saying is that you're sorely devaluing Coach Ls accomplishments, and attributing what you falsely see as his lack of achievement to his age.

Advertisement
Leonard Hamilton begs to differ as to your first point.

And if we're being realistic, Larranaga's record is decent for a power 5 school. Put our last 9 years up against Wake Forest, Clemson, BC, Pitt, VT, and GT, and tell me who's done better.

You're trying to compare us to upper-echelon programs, and we're not there, nor have we ever been there.

Coach L has put us in position to be consistently in the middle to upper half of what is arguably the best b-ball conference in America. That's an extraordinary feat in and of itself, coming from where this program has always been.

I'm not saying we shouldn't strive to be better, more consistent. Of course, our goal should be to get a place where we can contend for ACC titles every few years and be a regular in the tourney.

What I'm saying is that you're sorely devaluing Coach Ls accomplishments, and attributing what you falsely see as his lack of achievement to his age.

In fairness, I am not diminishing what Coach L has accomplished at Miami. He has done a good job. It is fair to ask it this the end of the road as Miami did not taken the step forward most people thought they would this season. It looks like Miami will not reach any post season tournament unless it wins the ACC tournament and that has not happened in quite some time.

I tend not to count Leonard Hamilton because his run at Miami was cut short and if Leonard would not have left for the Wizards, Miami would be a top tier team in the ACC right now. I think Leonard Hamilton leaving Miami was the worse day in the history of Miami basketball.

My point about his age is that you see other coaches in similar situations figure out how to improve their team and win games but it is not happening at Miami. Age is the factor that sticks out to me, what do you think the problem is?

In fairness, I am not diminishing what Coach L has accomplished at Miami. He has done a good job. It is fair to ask it this the end of the road as Miami did not taken the step forward most people thought they would this season. It looks like Miami will not reach any post season tournament unless it wins the ACC tournament and that has not happened in quite some time.

I tend not to count Leonard Hamilton because his run at Miami was cut short and if Leonard would not have left for the Wizards, Miami would be a top tier team in the ACC right now. I think Leonard Hamilton leaving Miami was the worse day in the history of Miami basketball.

My point about his age is that you see other coaches in similar situations figure out how to improve their team and win games but it is not happening at Miami. Age is the factor that sticks out to me, what do you think the problem is?

Who thought Miami would take a step forward this season? I didn't see anyone projecting Miami in the tournament before the season started. Bilas has a preseason top 68 (which excludes the small schools that get blown out of the tournament the first weekend), and we weren't mentioned.

We're probably a little worse than people expected, but too much worse. The only folks who thought we would take a big step forward are on this board.

And answering your question at the end of your post: the FBI.

That was the answer last season, it was the answer preseason, it was the answer in November, in December, in January, in February, and again now. It won't be the answer this time next year, but that's the reason right now.

Just because we're tired of talking about it doesn't make it any less true.

Who thought Miami would take a step forward this season? I didn't see anyone projecting Miami in the tournament before the season started. Bilas has a preseason top 68 (which excludes the small schools that get blown out of the tournament the first weekend), and we weren't mentioned.

We're probably a little worse than people expected, but too much worse. The only folks who thought we would take a big step forward are on this board.

After a 14-18 season with 7 scholarship players, you had to think it would get better. How much was the question?

Probably the best question is, what is the expectation for Miami men's basketball? I expect 20 regular season wins and a trip to the NCAA tournament after finishing in the top half of the ACC. That is very fair to me given the time Coach L has been at Miami.

Advertisement
And answering your question at the end of your post: the FBI.

That was the answer last season, it was the answer preseason, it was the answer in November, in December, in January, in February, and again now. It won't be the answer this time next year, but that's the reason right now.

Just because we're tired of talking about it doesn't make it any less true.

Let's see, Kansas, Arizona, Louisville, LSU were actually involved deeply with the FBI investigation as all four of those schools are now under NCAA investigation and they figured out how to win and recruit but Miami was falsely accused and Coach L cannot recover after two years.

You don't see a problem with this?

This is why I will not buy the FBI investigation as a reason or excuse.

Dude you're clueless if you don't think Coach L is a "really good coach".

Let's see, Kansas, Arizona, Louisville, LSU were actually involved deeply with the FBI investigation as all four of those schools are now under NCAA investigation and they figured out how to win and recruit but Miami was falsely accused and Coach L cannot recover after two years.

You don't see a problem with this?

This is why I will not buy the FBI investigation as a reason or excuse.
Again, another clueless post on your part. Miami is not Lville, Arizona or Kansas when it comes to basketball and never will.

Advertisement
Dude you're clueless if you don't think Coach L is a "really good coach".
Can we get a breakdown of what makes someone a "really good college coach". I really am curious as to what boxes L checks off consistently. I agree at one time he was a "really good coach" but I can't say that over the last 4 years.

Advertisement
Back