Next Head basketball coach at Miami...............................Definitely not an old guy, please.

Advertisement
Who thought Miami would take a step forward this season? I didn't see anyone projecting Miami in the tournament before the season started. Bilas has a preseason top 68 (which excludes the small schools that get blown out of the tournament the first weekend), and we weren't mentioned.

We're probably a little worse than people expected, but too much worse. The only folks who thought we would take a big step forward are on this board.
We were picked to finish 8th in the ACC, which usually translates to being a bubble team or at worst a solid NIT team. We are currently tied for 12th. That's underachieving.

The FBI investigation is a convenient excuse, but that's all it is--an excuse. Yes, it absolutely killed the 2018 recruiting class. I'll admit that, but the on court results in 2018-2019 were on coaching. Sitting Huellandez was a poor decision. Should've have played him.

The 2019 recruiting class is relatively good despite the poor on court results from the previous season. We signed three players that all had pretty good Power 5 offers. Again, our coaching/team effort is lacking this season. The offense is archaic, effort at times is lacking. Sometimes it looks like L and the team as a whole are going through the motions. That's not an FBI cloud hanging over the court, that's coaching.
The lack of effort on the glass is appalling and very blatant.

We were picked to finish 8th in the ACC, which usually translates to being a bubble team or at worst a solid NIT team. We are currently tied for 12th. That's underachieving.

We were picked 9th, not 8th. Definitely not a bubble team in a weak year for the ACC, a likely (but not guaranteed) NIT team. And that was with a healthy team.

We're currently tied for 11th, not 12th. So 2 spots below where we were projected, not 4 spots, as your post indicates.

That's not to say we won't finish lower than where we're at now--we very well might. But there's no reason for your exaggeration.

Last edited:
I keep hearing about this "momentum" we had before the FBI investigation. We got bounced in the 1st round by UMBC, what the **** kind of momentum did we really have? Not to mention we lossed Brown and Walker that same year.

AND that was L and staff's worst coaching year to date that screamed laziness all year by the staff.

Advertisement
We were picked 9th, not 8th. Definitely not a bubble team in a weak year for the ACC, a likely (but not guaranteed) NIT team. And that was with a healthy team.

We're currently tied for 11th, not 12th. So 2 spots below where we were projected, not 4 spots, as your post indicates.

That's not to say we won't finish lower than where we're at now--we very well might. But there's no reason for your exaggeration.
Fair point, thanks for the correction.

Regardless, there is no rational fan who can argue this season hasn't been a pretty big disappointment.

Fair point, thanks for the correction.

Regardless, there is no rational fan who can argue this season hasn't been a pretty big disappointment.

I'd argue we're about where I'd expect for a team that was projected to finish 9th and had a lot of lengthy mid-season injuries. I had hopes we'd be better, more like a 5th/6th-place team, but it's hard to outpace expectations (and easy to underperform) when your top 2 players go down for long stretches.

Am I happy about the season? No. Do I think next year is pivotal? Absolutely. Another season like the last 2 and it'll be time to cut the cord, as far as I'm concerned.

Somewhat related (and there was nowhere else to post this without making a new thread)

Jim basically blames the last 2 years entirely on the FBI investigation. I mean, I get that he might feel that way, but the excuses have to stop. The whole thing screams "ok with being ok." How much longer are we gonna have to deal with this?

I found a few positives out of this media session. It sounds like Coach L found some motivation and he acknowledged that they plan on filling the last two scholarships this summer to add depth to the roster for next season. I hope they sign Dylan Cardwell and Daniel Batcho because two bigs are needed but atleast they have a plan. Let's hope they execute that plan and get it done.

Coach L should figure out how to get his bigs more involved in the ball screen offense. Our bigs don't get any post touches nor any roll opportunities after setting the screen. Pick and pop is another missed opportunity. Given the limited athletic ability and skillset of the bigs on our roster, Coach L should consider running the Princeton offense during games next season. That offense would help our player movement, ball movement and spacing issues the current ball screen offense is experiencing. Some people will laugh at this idea but the Princeton offense does make teams with limited skilled, limited athletic players better as it gets them open shots and puts a lot of pressure on the defense.

Advertisement
Biggest (no pun intended) reason Miami is struggling on the boards is we have no quality bigs. Haven't signed a good one since Dewan.

I really like Coach L. I think he's a very good X's & O's coach, but the recruiting or lack thereof is starting to rear it's ugly head. There have been some high major players come out of Florida the last few years and aside from Dewan, I can't recall another signing with Miami. This has to get straightened out, but it's going to be tough to do when not a single coach or GA on staff is from the state.

GO CANES!!!

Biggest (no pun intended) reason Miami is struggling on the boards is we have no quality bigs. Haven't signed a good one since Dewan.

I really like Coach L. I think he's a very good X's & O's coach, but the recruiting or lack thereof is starting to rear it's ugly head. There have been some high major players come out of Florida the last few years and aside from Dewan, I can't recall another signing with Miami. This has to get straightened out, but it's going to be tough to do when not a single coach or GA on staff is from the state.

GO CANES!!!
Can I get clarification on how L is a good "X's and O's" coach. I think everyone tends to use that saying completely wrong on this site because from my view, at this point in time, he is a terrible "X's and O's coach"

Miami is not known for being a basketball school.football and baseball was our trademark.before the fbi investigation we were under coach L a mid level acc team with momentum moving up.we've lost that momentum and yes the investigation did help with that.I believe coach L can get it done because he has proven it.remember same crowd saying the same thing about butch davis from 97-99.then cried about it when he left.

Can I get clarification on how L is a good "X's and O's" coach. I think everyone tends to use that saying completely wrong on this site because from my view, at this point in time, he is a terrible "X's and O's coach"
Could not disagree more. Look at all the wins over the years against UNC and Duke, the "double" ACC reg Saason and Tourney championship year, the GMU run to the Final Four, etc. All mostly accomplished with lesser talent. His coaching ability is a strength; recruiting is his weakness.

Advertisement
Could not disagree more. Look at all the wins over the years against UNC and Duke, the "double" ACC reg Saason and Tourney championship year, the GMU run to the Final Four, etc. All mostly accomplished with lesser talent. His coaching ability is a strength; recruiting is his weakness.
I said "at this point in time".

I agree when he first got here him and his staff were great at game planning, half time adjustments, etc. That has disappeared for years now dating back to the year with Lonnie and them.

But none of the preseason brackets had us in the dance. Bilas didn't even have us in his top 68! That excludes all of the auto-bid teams so it equates being to like 20 spots out of the tournament. That's not even close to the bubble. Lunardi didn't have us on the bubble, either.

We were picked to be in the middle of the pack in the conference in a down year. We're maybe 1-2 wins behind where we were projected to finish. So yes, that's "underachieving" technically, but not in a meaningful way. We were expected to be a mediocre team not contending for a tournament spot, and instead are a slightly-worse-than-mediocre team not contending for a tournament spot.

One could even argue that the injuries we've had are enough to explain the difference between those two outcomes - but I won't, as it's not necessary. We are irrelevant and were expected to be so. We're talking about degrees of irrelevance now.

While I'd hate to see him leave ETSU since they're local to me, Steve Forbes will probably have Power 5 job soon, maybe as early as next year. He's 54. I'd take him at Miami in a heartbeat if Coach L decided to reverse course (ala Richt) and suddenly retire. I've posted about him on this board a few times before so I'm not gonna run his resume down yet again...but he's a legit coach. ETSU just won 27 regular season games - best regular season they've had since 1952. Has knocked on the door of the top 25 all year (currently receiving double digit votes in both polls, 29th in AP and 31st in Coaches). They're the #1 seed in the Southern Conference and favorite to win the conference tourney...but some bracketology folks have said that their resume is good enough to sneak in as an at-large even if they don't get the auto-bid - and not as one of the perverbial "last 4 in", but solidly in. Their 2 non-conference losses were @Kansas and @North Dakota State (Kansas current #1 in the nation, NDSU is considered to be a possible tourney team). Best non-con win was @LSU by 11, and it wasn't that close of a game - ETSU was up 30 at one point. They've only had 2 conference losses to Furman and Mercer, and avenged both, going 16-2 in a tough So-Con regular season.

I'd be all in with Anthony Grant if we could somehow pull him away from Dayton - because holy **** what a job he's done there...so call him the 1A choice. Forbes should by all rights be 1B.

Advertisement

I could be wrong here, but solely based off games I've seen throughout the years I don't remember them losing a lot of close games. Usually, when games are close Coach L finds a way to get the W. Whether it's against stacked non-conference opponents or ACC powers, Coach L doesn't play 2nd fiddle to many coaches when it's about X's & O's. They guy didn't just forget how to coach or run his system. Problem they're going thru right now (and last few season) is that the roster is decimated. There's not a lot of high level ACC talent on this team. I think coming into the season Lykes was the only player one could say could contribute on any ACC team. Wong has shown he can also be placed in that category, but the rest of the squad leaves a lot to be desired. Coach L is usually successful when he has a good PG with athletic wings and bigs. If we've seen anything from Coach L over the years is that when he's got talent, Miami can play with anybody. Don't get me wrong though, roster issues fall squarely on the shoulders of Coach L, not the FBI.

GO CANES!!!

Last edited:
While I'd hate to see him leave ETSU since they're local to me, Steve Forbes will probably have Power 5 job soon, maybe as early as next year. He's 54. I'd take him at Miami in a heartbeat if Coach L decided to reverse course (ala Richt) and suddenly retire. I've posted about him on this board a few times before so I'm not gonna run his resume down yet again...but he's a legit coach. ETSU just won 27 regular season games - best regular season they've had since 1952. Has knocked on the door of the top 25 all year (currently receiving double digit votes in both polls, 29th in AP and 31st in Coaches). They're the #1 seed in the Southern Conference and favorite to win the conference tourney...but some bracketology folks have said that their resume is good enough to sneak in as an at-large even if they don't get the auto-bid - and not as one of the perverbial "last 4 in", but solidly in. Their 2 non-conference losses were @Kansas and @North Dakota State (Kansas current #1 in the nation, NDSU is considered to be a possible tourney team). Best non-con win was @LSU by 11, and it wasn't that close of a game - ETSU was up 30 at one point. They've only had 2 conference losses to Furman and Mercer, and avenged both, going 16-2 in a tough So-Con regular season.

I'd be all in with Anthony Grant if we could somehow pull him away from Dayton - because holy **** what a job he's done there...so call him the 1A choice. Forbes should by all rights be 1B.

Anthony Grant makes a lot of sense because of his success and his local ties. Getting him on campus would be a major haul. Another local, young coach that is starting to generate tons of interest from around the country is Charles "CY" Young. That's a name one should definitely keep an eye on. What I like most about both of these guys is that they're still relatively young and both can recruit with the best of them

I could be wrong here, but solely based off games I've seen throughout the years I don't remember them losing a lot of close games. Usually, when games are close Coach L finds a way to get the W. Whether it's against stacked non-conference opponents or ACC powers, Coach L doesn't play 2nd fiddle to many coaches when it's about X's & O's. They guy didn't just forget how to coach or run his system. Problem they're going thru right now (and last few season) is that the roster is decimated. There's not a lot of high level ACC talent on this team. I think coming into the season Lykes was the only player one could say could contribute on any ACC team. Wong has shown he can also be placed in that category, but the rest of the squad leaves a lot to be desired. Coach L is usually successful when he has a good PG with athletic wings and bigs. If we've seen anything from Coach L over the years is that when he's got talent, Miami can play with anybody. Don't get me wrong though, roster issues fall squarely on the shoulders of Coach L, not the FBI.

GO CANES!!!
This is a good response. My only clapback is: Most of those close games we win are complete meltdowns by us late in games. Games that we should win by 8+ always end up going down to the wire because we are always so unprepared in crunch time of games. Our team acts like they have no idea how to close out games. Can't break a press, don't have any inbound plays to free our guards up, don't come to the ball, missed 1 and 1's. Those are all "X's and O's" in my book and our staff does a horrible job of preparing these kids for late game situations

Example last night: What in gods name was Beverly thinking fouling that kid last night? He is a **** near 90% free throw shooter and you send him to the line on a bonus opportunity with 8 seconds left to take the lead? Are you kidding me? What lack of situational awareness....The most cringe worthy part of that play last night..... LARRANAGE ACTED LIKE HE DIDN'T EVEN CARE :rk5i6fxwjlgev5j6.jpg: Any good coach in that moment is ripping Beverly a new one. Even the calm and collected ones are turning into Bob Knight at that moment.

Advertisement
Back