Next Head basketball coach at Miami...............................Definitely not an old guy, please.

Advertisement
Again, another clueless post on your part. Miami is not Lville, Arizona or Kansas when it comes to basketball and never will.
The cool thing about college basketball, as opposed to football, is you only need a handful of good players to be a Top 10 program. Despite the history, no reason why UM can't do that. I mean if the Butler's, Wichita State's, Baylor's, Iowa State's, etc. can, why not us? I woulda had Gonzaga on that list too but ... they've done it for so long now, I guess they'd be considered a "blue blood" program.

Ever is a bit extreme but this topic appears moot for the foreseeable future

Really sick and tired of the FBI excuse and hacks like Barry who perpetuate this as truth. They completely self-sabotaged themselves by holding out Hernandez when they didn't have to and subsequently refused to use open scholarships on transfers/lower rated recruits to fill out the roster. Still think it's possible there is a 'mutual parting of the ways' situation. That said, next year sets up nicely with the returning guys + Brooks + Timberlake/Cross, but he's gone for sure in 2021 if things go south.

Can we get a breakdown of what makes someone a "really good college coach". I really am curious as to what boxes L checks off consistently. I agree at one time he was a "really good coach" but I can't say that over the last 4 years.
He's not but given the expectations for the program, he's been given tenure by a whimpy **** AD

The cool thing about college basketball, as opposed to football, is you only need a handful of good players to be a Top 10 program. Despite the history, no reason why UM can't do that. I mean if the Butler's, Wichita State's, Baylor's, Iowa State's, etc. can, why not us? I woulda had Gonzaga on that list too but ... they've done it for so long now, I guess they'd be considered a "blue blood" program.
All of these are not equal. Butler and Baylor are located in basketball hotbeds (IN and TX) and are fairly easy places to recruit at given proximity to top talent. Not sure how you can compare Iowa St. to Miami given they're a state school. Wichita State is an anomaly but Gregg Marshall is a top 10 coach in America who has simply refused to take a bigger job.

Advertisement
All of these are not equal. Butler and Baylor are located in basketball hotbeds (IN and TX) and are fairly easy places to recruit at given proximity to top talent. Not sure how you can compare Iowa St. to Miami given they're a state school. Wichita State is an anomaly but Gregg Marshall is a top 10 coach in America who has simply refused to take a bigger job.
Don't agree. Waco is not a hoops hotbed (neither is most of Texas for that matter). Do you think it's easier to recruit kids to Spokane, Wichita, Ames, or Indy than it is Miami? Those are hardly destination locations.

Really sick and tired of the FBI excuse and hacks like Barry who perpetuate this as truth. They completely self-sabotaged themselves by holding out Hernandez when they didn't have to and subsequently refused to use open scholarships on transfers/lower rated recruits to fill out the roster. Still think it's possible there is a 'mutual parting of the ways' situation. That said, next year sets up nicely with the returning guys + Brooks + Timberlake/Cross, but he's gone for sure in 2021 if things go south.
You can be sick of it if you want but it is the truth, The FBI BS robbed the program of the momentum it had going and killed 2 recruiting classes. Next year, it can't be used a an excuse. Also, there is zero chance barring illness that there will be a mutually parting of the ways. Coach L will coach out the remainder of his contract.

Don't agree. Waco is not a hoops hotbed (neither is most of Texas for that matter). Do you think it's easier to recruit kids to Spokane, Wichita, Ames, or Indy than it is Miami? Those are hardly destination locations.
Waco is 90 min from Dallas, which is a top 5 high school basketball city in America.

You can be sick of it if you want but it is the truth, The FBI BS robbed the program of the momentum it had going and killed 2 recruiting classes. Next year, it can't be used a an excuse. Also, there is zero chance barring illness that there will be a mutually parting of the ways. Coach L will coach out the remainder of his contract.
Around until 2024? Highly doubtful

Advertisement
Has anyone ever considered that Jim Larannaga looks like a really good coach at Miami because most of the other coaches at Miami have been really bad? Yes, Coach L seems to be big fish in a little pond.

Jim came from George Mason?!?! Granted, we aren't Duke or anything and GM went to one final four, but how little is our pond actually?

Going back to OP, in a couple years, will Huger be ready for P5? He is doing really well at BG right now (21-8) and will likely win the MAC this year.

Advertisement
Overall, Coach L has done well here in Miami. Problem is his last 2 years have been his worst in the last 20 years of his career. Both seasons we've finished under .500. Also, doesn't help that he refuses to recruit in-state kids and does a poor job of building relationships with local HS/AAU coaches. This cannot continue or else we will have a new coach by 2022.

Personally, as a replacement I'd like them to take a look at Shaka Smart. Although it hasn't happened for him at Texas, I still think he's one of the better young coaches in college basketball. Bryce Drew is another young guy I like a lot.

GO CANES!!!

Last edited:
Somewhat related (and there was nowhere else to post this without making a new thread)

Jim basically blames the last 2 years entirely on the FBI investigation. I mean, I get that he might feel that way, but the excuses have to stop. The whole thing screams "ok with being ok." How much longer are we gonna have to deal with this?

Last edited:
Advertisement
The FBI investigation is a convenient excuse, but that's all it is--an excuse. Yes, it absolutely killed the 2018 recruiting class. I'll admit that, but the on court results in 2018-2019 were on coaching. Sitting Huellandez was a poor decision. Should've have played him.

The 2019 recruiting class is relatively good despite the poor on court results from the previous season. We signed three players that all had pretty good Power 5 offers. Again, our coaching/team effort is lacking this season. The offense is archaic, effort at times is lacking. Sometimes it looks like L and the team as a whole are going through the motions. That's not an FBI cloud hanging over the court, that's coaching.

The FBI investigation is a convenient excuse, but that's all it is--an excuse. Yes, it absolutely killed the 2018 recruiting class. I'll admit that, but the on court results in 2018-2019 were on coaching. Sitting Huellandez was a poor decision. Should've have played him.

The 2019 recruiting class is relatively good despite the poor on court results from the previous season. We signed three players that all had pretty good Power 5 offers. Again, our coaching/team effort is lacking this season. The offense is archaic, effort at times is lacking. Sometimes it looks like L and the team as a whole are going through the motions. That's not an FBI cloud hanging over the court, that's coaching.

It is very simple...

1. The FBI Bullchit. Nobody faults Coach L for last season, both the results (with Dewan) and the prior recruiting class going into last season (i.e. 2018 recruiting class). But again, this FBI cloud bullchit is over. This is a guy that NEVER used the real cloud, the Nevin stuff, as an excuse for our performance.

For the 2018-19 season, we brought in 3 transfers.
For the 2019-20 season, we brought in 3 recruits (very strong quality), 1 grad transfer and 1 transfer.

Will Coach Make the Necessary Changes?

2. Roster Management. The reason the FBI Bullchit is over blown is because Coach L has done a poor job with roster management for a long time. There is no need to go into this again, see the post below.

3. Coaching Changes. Coach L should make some obvious coaching changes. I am assuming he won't get rid of Caputo, no matter what the data shows. If he refuses to remove him, Caputo should NOT do any actual coaching as our defense has been pretty chitty since he has been the "defensive coordinator".

Caputo as DC:

2015-16: 67.4
2016-17: 64.1
2017-18: 67.8
2018-19: 71.1
2019-20: 74.6 (https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/team/miami-florida-hurricanes)

See more here: https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/supporting-huger-and-konkol.158729/

Last edited:

The timing is very interesting that these messages keep getting released. Someone else must be having these discussions other than this board.
I am sure Coach L will coach until the end of his current contract with Miami and he will go somewhere else and coach their for a few more years.
No, I don't think Coach L deserves another contract extension until he takes Miami to three straight Sweet 16s in the NCAA tournament.
Realistically, the coach who took George Mason to the Final Four is not the same guy sitting on the bench at Miami. It is a shell of his former self. I hope the real Coach L shows up and starts winning again.

Somewhat related (and there was nowhere else to post this without making a new thread)

Jim basically blames the last 2 years entirely on the FBI investigation. I mean, I get that he might feel that way, but the excuses have to stop. The whole thing screams "ok with being ok." How much longer are we gonna have to deal with this?

This is my MAJOR ISSUE with this excuse. He hasn't done a single thing to make us better since the FBI investigation.

Hire more quality assistants? Specifically Guys with offensive pedigrees? NOPE
Hit the transfer market to fill scholarships? Nope
Adapt game plans to our strengths? Nope

I have found everything about him and his staff LAZY for a few years now. I don't see it changing either and I'm tired of the **** FBI excuse.

Even if the FBI investigation hit us hard. Which it didn't (We still are littered with 4 star talent everywhere). There is still no reason that I need to watch the quality of basketball we have played for years. Awful on defensive side of the ball, turnovers, 1 on 1 basketball, no effort on the glass, Can't close out games without giving us all a heart attack or blowing a late game lead.

Advertisement
Back