Next Head basketball coach at Miami...............................Definitely not an old guy, please.

Anthony Grant makes a lot of sense because of his success and his local ties. Getting him on campus would be a major haul. Another local, young coach that is starting to generate tons of interest from around the country is Charles "CY" Young. That's a name one should definitely keep an eye on. What I like most about both of these guys is that they're still relatively young and both can recruit with the best of them
Agreed on Grant. His youth combined with his recent success at Dayton is a major plus for him. My only question on him if we interviewed him would be "what happened at Bama, and how did you learn from that and fix it at Dayton". I'd say he's probably well prepared for that question...I would just want to ask the question for due diligence.

Young is on FSU's staff at the moment...I know he's from Miami and has HC experience at Georgia Southern, but I think he'd be tough to pull off of Hamilton's staff unless we came in with a better offer, and/or if he was looking to move back down to Miami where it's home.

Forbes doesn't have South Florida ties (that I know of), but he did coach for 2 really successful seasons at Northwest Florida State College up in Niceville - both seasons where they played for the National Juco title but lost. Those seasons got him the job under Gregg Marshall as an assistant at Wichita State, which he parlayed into his current 5-year stint with ETSU.

I'm not going to say much else on Forbes, and I know the competition played isn't the same for Forbes/Coach L - but Coach L's career winning percentage is .596 (659-446). Forbes at ETSU has had a .747 percentage (127-43). If you add in Forbes' JUCO record on top of that, you're looking at a career percentage as HC of .769 (257-77).

Advertisement
LARRANAGE ACTED LIKE HE DIDN'T EVEN CARE Any good coach in that moment is ripping Beverly a new one. Even the calm and collected ones are turning into Bob Knight at that moment.
To be fair (to Bev, if not Coach L, whom I do have issues with, such as his "immediate ALL head back strategy after a long shot is launched" when most are misses, so no offensive rebounds), the AP (and a post here) reported:
Coach L was ****ed about no foul being called on the play just before, and was yelling "FOUL FOUL" at the refs in anger. Bev heard that and in a reflex committed that atrocious (game-losing) foul. Perhaps Coach L realized what happened. So sad.

To be fair (to Bev, if not Coach L, whom I do have issues with, such as his "immediate ALL head back strategy after a long shot is launched" when most are misses, so no offensive rebounds), the AP (and a post here) reported:
Coach L was ****ed about no foul being called on the play just before, and was yelling "FOUL FOUL" at the refs in anger. Bev heard that and in a reflex committed that atrocious (game-losing) foul. Perhaps Coach L realized what happened. So sad.
That's even worse as sad as that is. Doesn't surprise me one bit though.

Agreed on Grant. His youth combined with his recent success at Dayton is a major plus for him. My only question on him if we interviewed him would be "what happened at Bama, and how did you learn from that and fix it at Dayton". I'd say he's probably well prepared for that question...I would just want to ask the question for due diligence.

Young is on FSU's staff at the moment...I know he's from Miami and has HC experience at Georgia Southern, but I think he'd be tough to pull off of Hamilton's staff unless we came in with a better offer, and/or if he was looking to move back down to Miami where it's home.

Forbes doesn't have South Florida ties (that I know of), but he did coach for 2 really successful seasons at Northwest Florida State College up in Niceville - both seasons where they played for the National Juco title but lost. Those seasons got him the job under Gregg Marshall as an assistant at Wichita State, which he parlayed into his current 5-year stint with ETSU.

I'm not going to say much else on Forbes, and I know the competition played isn't the same for Forbes/Coach L - but Coach L's career winning percentage is .596 (659-446). Forbes at ETSU has had a .747 percentage (127-43). If you add in Forbes' JUCO record on top of that, you're looking at a career percentage as HC of .769 (257-77).

CY is an assistant coach and probably next in line at fsu IF/when Coach Ham calls it quits. However, no question in my mind that he'd jump at the opportunity if Miami were to offer him the HC position.

Advertisement
What about Frank Martin?

What about him? He had one tremendous season at South Carolina in 7 total seasons there. I’m not including this year because it isn’t over. Here is his tenure at South Carolina:

- He made the NCAAT once in seven seasons
- He has had a losing record in-conference four times in seven seasons
- Best finish in-conference was tied for third

He had better success a long time ago at Kansas State.

The younger the coach, the greater the chance of losing him after one good year. UM still is hardly on most "hot" coaches radar as a "destination job."

Advertisement
The younger the coach, the greater the chance of losing him after one good year. UM still is hardly on most "hot" coaches radar as a "destination job."

I’ve posted something like this before...

1. I don’t expect a coach for a long time. We just need the right coach for now. If they leave and go somewhere else, maybe because they have tremendous success, then so be it. You want people to covet your success and employees. It typically means they’re (i.e. your coach) having success now and for you. Frank Haith was the exception; he was a failure yet someone wanted him. We were glad to let him walk. There are plenty of very good options and there will always be more because of the mid-majors and their lack of resources/inferior programs. If our new coach has great success and leaves, we can find someone else. Just remember the goal is to have real success, not simply retain a coach long term.

2. Don’t believe this mom and pop narrative. We’re cheap and we waste money. We have plenty of money, we can’t offer money like UL, Duke, Kentucky etc. but we easily can pay a basketball coach $3MM+. Coach L makes somewhere in the low 2s and that would be a tremendous raise for 5-10 really good candidates.

3. Your biggest concern should be the people making the hire. They’re not qualified/capable to make a quality hire because they’ve never done it organically. They’ve only made atrocious decisions when it comes to basketball and football and that trend will likely continue. My guess is if Coach L stepped down, they will promote Caputo. That is how they do things. That is why we need a new AD. That is why we need a competent, passionate AD with autonomy. That should be your biggest and only real concern because these coaches don’t hire themselves.

I’ve posted something like this before...

1. I don’t expect a coach for a long time. We just need the right coach for now. If they leave and go somewhere else, maybe because they have tremendous success, then so be it. You want people to covet your success and employees. It typically means they’re (i.e. your coach) having success now and for you. Frank Haith was the exception; he was a failure yet someone wanted him. We were glad to let him walk. There are plenty of very good options and there will always be more because of the mid-majors and their lack of resources/inferior programs. If our new coach has great success and leaves, we can find someone else. Just remember the goal is to have real success, not simply retain a coach long term.

2. Don’t believe this mom and pop narrative. We’re cheap and we waste money. We have plenty of money, we can’t offer money like UL, Duke, Kentucky etc. but we easily can pay a basketball coach $3MM+. Coach L makes somewhere in the low 2s and that would be a tremendous raise for 5-10 really good candidates.

3. Your biggest concern should be the people making the hire. They’re not qualified/capable to make a quality hire because they’ve never done it organically. They’ve only made atrocious decisions when it comes to basketball and football and that trend will likely continue. My guess is if Coach L stepped down, they will promote Caputo. That is how they do things. That is why we need a new AD. That is why we need a competent, passionate AD with autonomy. That should be your biggest and only real concern because these coaches don’t hire themselves.
Good post, well said!

Get the best coach you can find, age be damned. Miami got more than anyone could have ever expected out of Coach L, and he most likely is going to give this program at least 1-2 more NCAA Tournament appearances before he hangs it up. Whenever Miami jumps on the replacement carousel, the AD should be looking for someone with the following qualities.

1) Superior mind and ability to get the most out of what may be less than optimal talent--Whether the experts on this board want to admit it or not,this isn't a destination program for most blue chip guys. Never mind the fact that even when times are good, the local market barely gives a ****, you just aren't going to be a major star here, even when you ball out. Therefore, you need a coach that can take quality players, develop them and then put them in the best position to win.

2) Someone that can recruit outside the box. When you aren't really in the race for most of the blue chips, you may have to resort to other options. Guys that can recruit internationally should be on the radar, because kids overseas hear Miami and are more intrigued than the kids stateside. Katie Meier has shown that you can find legitimate talent overseas that will flock to Miami.

Personally, I'd back up a brinks truck to Randy Bennett's house in Cali and encourage him to show up in 2 years. Bennett fits all the qualities listed above, and is a proven winner. I have no idea why he hasn't left for a bigger job, but he is at the point in his career where you can easily get 10-12 years out of him right now. Basketball coaches have a longer shelf life than football coaches. I'm not enamored with hot shot candidates like Shaka or Grant, I think they have a shelf life and I think Shaka is being exposed at Texas.

Advertisement
5 National Championships in Football
4 National Championships in Men's baseball
0 National Championships in Men's basketball.

Miami has never hired the "right guy" to lead the basketball team and change the perception about the program.

5 National Championships in Football
4 National Championships in Men's baseball
0 National Championships in Men's basketball.

Miami has never hired the "right guy" to lead the basketball team and change the perception about the program.

Since 1980, how many teams in the ACC have a National Championship in Basketball?

Since 1980, how many different teams have won a National Championship in Basketball?

Gonzaga hired the “right guy” but he has never won a National Championship. Should they fire Mark Few?

How about Oregon and Altman?

How about Baylor and Drew?

Why does our next HC need ties to Miami?

Also, Anthony Grant is not “young”. He turns 54 in April. That isn’t “young”.
This changes my mind a bit on Grant, especially in comparison to my boy Steve Forbes who is the same age. I mean I'd still interview Grant for sure, but the gap between him and Forbes just closed considerably.

Advertisement
This changes my mind a bit on Grant, especially in comparison to my boy Steve Forbes who is the same age. I mean I'd still interview Grant for sure, but the gap between him and Forbes just closed considerably.

My concern about Grant is why did he do sub-par at Bama. The SEC is obviously inferior to the ACC. The A-10 is inferior to the SEC.

He coached 6 full seasons at Bama:

- One NCAAT appearance.
- He had a losing record in-conference 50% of the time.

Not exactly a strong tenure there. Maybe the experience he gained being an assistant for Billy D, after Bama, made the difference. Maybe Bama was a terrible fit. Maybe he should be coaching at a mid-major. I don’t know.

I have no doubt he will get better opportunities this off-season.

Since 1980, how many teams in the ACC have a National Championship in Basketball?

Since 1980, how many different teams have won a National Championship in Basketball?

Gonzaga hired the “right guy” but he has never won a National Championship. Should they fire Mark Few?

How about Oregon and Altman?

How about Baylor and Drew?

Few has coached in the National Championship game. Miami has never advanced to the Final 4.

Baylor has never won the National Championship in football nor basketball while Oregon won the National Championship in men's basketball in 1939.

My point is the "right guy" at Miami will turn around the perception of the program and win a National Championship. Just like Howard Schnellenberger (football) and Ron Fraser (baseball). Those two guys set the standard and everyone else is following in the new standard.

I think you totally missed the point of my post.

Few has coached in the National Championship game. Miami has never advanced to the Final 4.

Baylor has never won the National Championship in football nor basketball while Oregon won the National Championship in men's basketball in 1939.

My point is the "right guy" at Miami will turn around the perception of the program and win a National Championship. Just like Howard Schnellenberger (football) and Ron Fraser (baseball). Those two guys set the standard and everyone else is following in the new standard.

You don't realize how hard it is to win a National Championship in Basketball. You don't even realize the flaws in your post (that I originally responded to). If you need help, you can start by actually answering the questions.

I’d pass on Grant and especially Martin.

I’d go after Randy Bennett or Brian Dutcher. Of course, I don’t expect L to leave.

He definitely needs to evaluate his assistants though during the offseason

Advertisement
Back