Next Head basketball coach at Miami...............................Definitely not an old guy, please.

Not for nothing, but ETSU just won the So-Con tourney in dominating fashion over Wofford. They went 30-4, 16-2 in conference, conference tourney champs...legit shot to be ranked in the next Top 25 and end up with somewhere around a 10/11/12 seed.

Again...put Forbes on that short list of guys to interview.

Advertisement
Not for nothing, but ETSU just won the So-Con tourney in dominating fashion over Wofford. They went 30-4, 16-2 in conference, conference tourney champs...legit shot to be ranked in the next Top 25 and end up with somewhere around a 10/11/12 seed.

I watched. Impressive. They woulda murdered us this year.

Will he be available in 4 years to interview for the job?

Can I get clarification on how L is a good "X's and O's" coach. I think everyone tends to use that saying completely wrong on this site because from my view, at this point in time, he is a terrible "X's and O's coach"

There logic is "since he brought a team of scrubs to the final 4 he must be a great Xs and Os coach". Not saying I agree, but that is there logic.

I’d pass on Grant and especially Martin.

I’d go after Randy Bennett or Brian Dutcher. Of course, I don’t expect L to leave.

He definitely needs to evaluate his assistants though during the offseason

At this point if he hasn’t made changes with his assistants, not in terms of replacing someone who leaves under their own volition, I doubt it happens.

Advertisement
At this point if he hasn’t made changes with his assistants, not in terms of replacing someone who leaves under their own volition, I doubt it happens.
This is starting to sound like a Richt scenario more and more, with the assistants/changes being involved and such. Who knows?

OP is typically off with most of his points but the take that Miami hasn't hired the correct coach in basketball is about as bad as one can have. When you consider that we've only had 5 coaches in the modern era, i'd argue that 3-4 of them were good to great hires:

Bill Foster - Had a winning record overall after relaunching the program. I'd say that's more than solid.

Leonard Hamilton - Actually had a losing record overall and in conference but won a share of the Big East but made two Sweet Sixteens and 3 tourneys overall. Recruited the likes of Tim James, Johnny Hemsley, et al. Put Miami Basketball on the map.

Perry Clark - Awful. One tourney appearance with a loaded 01-02 team (most of those guys were upperclassman from Hamilton) but total crap once he had his guys in the program

Frank Haith - Absolutely atrocious conference record (.383) but made the postseason 5 out of 7 seasons. Recruited at a fairly high clip as well and laid the foundation for the 12-13 ACC Championship team. Would place him in the Bill Foster bucket.

Jim Larranaga - Recent dip aside, the man should have his name on the Watsco Center floor after he retires. .643 win percentage overall including a remarkable .563 % inside of ACC play. A conference and ACC tourney title, two sweet sixteens and 4 NCAA tourneys in 8 years. Just an incredible run overall given where this program was.

Advertisement
Back