New UM Training Table

Advertisement
As a student, whose parents paid full tuition, at UM, it used to irk me off that the "student-athletes" had their own private dining hall....and the reality was that it was really only for the football team. Of course, this was 20 year ago, but it looks like some things haven't changed.

As a student, whose parents paid full tuition, at UM, it used to irk me off that the "student-athletes" had their own private dining hall....and the reality was that it was really only for the football team. Of course, this was 20 year ago, but it looks like some things haven't changed.

In reality, these athletes are a tremendous source of revenue for the school. These investments are a drop in the bucket.

I'd like to know more about this perspective.

I went to UM. Perhaps it's because I'm far too obsessed with football/sports, but I see it as completely fair. I think they net more for the University than the average student whose parents are paying tuition. A private dining hall doesn't even make it even. It's a minor perk that is really just an investment to get the athletes to perform better on behalf of the University.

They should get these guys hookers, boat rides, miso soup and free drinks at Clubs. That'll surely make them play better.

Advertisement
564.jpg

i'm ok with it since it was paid for using money directly donated to athletics. if it was from general university funds i'd be upset about it.

617.gif

So if your parents only paid half tuition it wouldn't have irked you off as much?

Athletes had far different nutritional needs. I like this, and don' reall there being a training table when I was at UM.

Advertisement

In reality, these athletes are a tremendous source of revenue for the school. These investments are a drop in the bucket.

Don't take it the wrong way. I love my Hurricane Football, but when you are there as a student.... and these are your fellow "students," you take on a different perspective. These are just guys taking the same classes (sort of) as you. Football revenues truly only subsidize the other sports on campus.

So you're saying entitled, spoiled, rich kids like yourself should have a private chow hall too?

The money these kids make for the school pays for many of the tougher programs that normally don't have the student capacity to keep the program going. The money also allows the university to improve the school, facilities and to hire more faculty. The whole "it's not fair" why don't I have it too mentality in this country is sickening. If you want a special place to eat, go earn it, otherwise be happy with your degree and focus on yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by QuadCam View Post

Advertisement

Don't take it the wrong way. I love my Hurricane Football, but when you are there as a student.... and these are your fellow "students," you take on a different perspective. These are just guys taking the same classes (sort of) as you. Football revenues truly only subsidize the other sports on campus.

lol "fellow students"

who the **** ever said that? they look like football players, act like football players and are therefore treated like football players. and i wouldn't want it any other way.

Wrong again, they fund pretty much every underfunded program in school. A bad football team can cripple the schools growth plans.

Advertisement

Are you upset that people wealthier than you have nicer things as well?

seriously? for someone who loves their Canes football you seem a lil out of touch with the current revenue streams in college football

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissm...e-teams-2013-texas-longhorns-cant-be-stopped/

furthermore, the noteriety which this football program brought to the university in their dominant years is the reason for the increase in admissions & why so many (NON FOOTBALL) facilities were built in the university. They were funded by the football program's success

Let me get this straight - you are a student (or alumni for that matter) at the University of Miami and your concern is that the football team gets to eat in a different place than you?

Nothing else for you to concern yourself with?

So you're saying entitled, spoiled, rich kids like yourself should have a private chow hall too?

Wow.... how do you walk around with such a heavy chip on your shoulder??? Entitled and spoiled don't automatically coincide with wealth. It's too bad that you lump these together.

Advertisement
Back