New Stadium?

You build a 50k stadium anywhere near Biscayne or the Downtown (I'm not sure you could talk Beckham's group into Tropical Park) and, with the right Coach (Butch?), and SANE ticket pricing for the fans, that place will rock.

your right a 45-50k stadium would be good and people think thats to big for a soccer stadium but we are in south fla with alot of people from soccer playing countries man that place would be rocking.

Advertisement
Donna Shalala says Miami considering shared football stadium with David Beckham

Shalala, who is ending her 14-year run as the university's president June 1 and had her tenure celebrated before thousands in an on-campus ceremony Thursday, said the Hurricanes' current football home -- Sun Life Stadium -- is "too big and cavernous for a college of our size."

"I know this: Leasing space is not the best situation for anyone, for the Dolphins or for us," Shalala said. "Being a tenant, we've had two tenancies, one at the Orange Bowl and one at Dolphins Stadium, and I don't much like being a tenant."

tumblr_nfwlqxsnAW1rdhesho1_500.gif

Wait, is she saying that Sun Lifeless might not be the best solution for the program?

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
This is a classic save my legacy by talking big before I leave case. She gave zero ***** about the program or the stadium during her 14 year tenure. Now all of the sudden, she wants to resolve the stadium issue. All shes really doing is trying to shift the blame onto the next president. In five years when people ask, why don't we have a stadium, people like CaneInHeelCountry will point to her comments in that article and say she tried, its the new president that doesn't care.

Don't be fooled.

Talk is cheap. Everything that has happened suggests otherwise. So until they start building it, I don't see why any of us should give a flyin' hoot to a single word. Miami has been all talk and no results lately anyways.

A little birdie was telling me there are plans in place to build a 45,000 seat stadium funded by various donor millionaires, on campus, on top of the BUC.

Various world renown MiMo architects have been hired to make it balance, and naming rights are rumored to be in early negotiations with Stir Crazy.

As per Coral Gables aesthetic housing ordnance, a retractable dome is not an option.

Advertisement
Moving to Beckham's new stadium would be perfect as long as it can seat 45 thou with possible expansion to 50 thou for the big games. It doesn't have to be anything special, just has to get loud on Saturdays, and location must be close to the U. Sunlife is so freakin far I have to go to MIA and catch a flight there.

This is a classic save my legacy by talking big before I leave case. She gave zero ***** about the program or the stadium during her 14 year tenure. Now all of the sudden, she wants to resolve the stadium issue. All shes really doing is trying to shift the blame onto the next president. In five years when people ask, why don't we have a stadium, people like CaneInHeelCountry will point to her comments in that article and say she tried, its the new president that doesn't care.

Don't be fooled.

We've known that UM has been pursuing the Beckham option for more than a year now. Whether or not it goes through is another matter, and one that no one here has the answers to. But it's clear that she's been trying to get UM out of Sun Life for at least that long.

Before that, up until it was shot down in 2007, she tried to broker a deal with the city to save the OB.

Stupid to say that she "gave zero *****" about the stadium for 14 years, given those facts. But those facts don't fit the narrative of the pitchfork-wielding mob.

Last edited:
As a long time "we need a new smaller stadium" proponent, I think we should wait to see how SLS turns out. What's happening there looks very promising. The one danger, is that by waiting, we could miss out on the chance to own(in partnership with Beckham) instead of rent.

Show me a 45-50k seat stadium in Miami with the lower bowl being 20ft from the field, and I'll show you the loudest and most intimidating place to play in America.

If you build it, they will come.

Even when FSU or uf or ohio state bring 15 - 20K fans?

Hopefully they wouldn't be able to bring 20K fans to a 45K seat stadium. We'd give them 8K tickets, maybe 10K and hopefully our fans would not sell their tickets to the opposing fans (as long as Golden is not coach). That's part of the beauty of a small stadium. It's why the US soccer team plays their home qualifiers against Mexico in Columbus, OH in a 25K seat stadium, instead of the Rose Bowl. They could easily sell out the Rose Bowl and get 100K, but 80K would be Mexicans. This way, 22K are US fans, and the US has won all World Cup qualifiers in Columbus dating back to 2001 when they started playing Mexico there by a combined 8-0.

Advertisement
Show me a 45-50k seat stadium in Miami with the lower bowl being 20ft from the field, and I'll show you the loudest and most intimidating place to play in America.

If you build it, they will come.

Even when FSU or uf or ohio state bring 15 - 20K fans?

Hopefully they wouldn't be able to bring 20K fans to a 45K seat stadium. We'd give them 8K tickets, maybe 10K and hopefully our fans would not sell their tickets to the opposing fans (as long as Golden is not coach). That's part of the beauty of a small stadium. It's why the US soccer team plays their home qualifiers against Mexico in Columbus, OH in a 25K seat stadium, instead of the Rose Bowl. They could easily sell out the Rose Bowl and get 100K, but 80K would be Mexicans. This way, 22K are US fans, and the US has won all World Cup qualifiers in Columbus dating back to 2001 when they started playing Mexico there by a combined 8-0.

This, and if we are in a 40k stadium then the price of tickets to FSU game would go up to meet the increased demand.... I don't think too many FSU fans would be able to afford the higher priced tickets

FSU grads don't make enough to afford that

Don't be fooled.

We've known that UM has been pursuing the Beckham option for more than a year now. Whether or not it goes through is another matter, and one that no one here has the answers to. But it's clear that she's been trying to get UM out of Sun Life for at least that long.

Before that, up until it was shot down in 2007, she tried to broker a deal with the city to save the OB.

Stupid to say that she "gave zero *****" about the stadium for 14 years, given those facts. But those facts don't fit the narrative of the pitchfork-wielding mob.

This is either Don Bailey Jr himself or Donna Shalala's ******* hobbit girlfriend

As a long time "we need a new smaller stadium" proponent, I think we should wait to see how SLS turns out. What's happening there looks very promising. The one danger, is that by waiting, we could miss out on the chance to own(in partnership with Beckham) instead of rent.

There is NO scenario where NOT joining with Beckham is a good thing.

Sun Life is an abomination. Renovations are simply the equivalent of putting expensive lipstick on a pig

Advertisement

There is NO scenario where NOT joining with Beckham is a good thing.

Sun Life is an abomination. Renovations are simply the equivalent of putting expensive lipstick on a pig

What's true in real estate, is true in business: location, location, location.

A little birdie was telling me there are plans in place to build a 45,000 seat stadium funded by various donor millionaires, on campus, on top of the BUC.

Various world renown MiMo architects have been hired to make it balance, and naming rights are rumored to be in early negotiations with Stir Crazy.

As per Coral Gables aesthetic housing ordnance, a retractable dome is not an option.

They COULD get Beckham to buy into that.

The Gables Campus is High Rent enough to support the kind of demographic that MLS caters to, while the Canes would be able to restrict the home games to season ticket holders. The Big Games they could lease from Ross if ticket demand was high enough (FSU, Notre Dame).

Don't be fooled.

This is either Don Bailey Jr himself or Donna Shalala's ******* hobbit girlfriend

That's the thing about nitwits like you...when you can't actually step to a debate with facts, you resort to insults and slander. It's common on this board.

Come at me with facts that dispute anything I've said and I'll be game to talk.

Did we not know that UM was trying to hitch its wagon to Beckham over a year ago? Here's an article from March of last year, to refresh your memory.

Did the city not renege on the deal originally struck by Donna? Here's a link from May 2007 that supports my side.

Your turn, chump. Show me where I'm wrong.

Advertisement
Back