New Stadium

More people live in Dade county than Broward. Anything you lose in Broward you make up for in Dade. Maybe it never occurred to you, but a lot of people don't want to travel up to Miami Gardens due to traffic and distance. You would gain those people.
Population in 2018:
Miami-Dade 2,751,796
Broward 1,935,878
Palm Beach 1,471,150

So yes, let's give a middle finger to 2.5 million people because a fraction of the 2.7 million might have a problem driving 20 miles.

Advertisement
More people live in Dade county than Broward. Anything you lose in Broward you make up for in Dade. Maybe it never occurred to you, but a lot of people don't want to travel up to Miami Gardens due to traffic and distance. You would gain those people.
Bro you are literally nit picking at anything. I live in broward county and during game days the traffic on the turnpike on the way to the stadium is pretty heavy coming from the north. And it was like that even in the Ob. I know people in Naples and Bonita springs that have season tickets. People will show up regardless of where they would’ve built the new stadium and people smarter than you or me picked the best location to accommodate the fan base. More people show up for Bethune Cookman or Rutgers now than they did 20 years ago when the stadium was literally in the middle of the city and we were winning championships. You can look it up if you don’t believe someone who actually went to those games.

We crank out top 20 classes and beat kids that other sec schools and acc schools want
We even had a top 10 class with cmr.
We also won 5 titles. All without on campus stadium. Ask all the former players if they feel like they’ve missed out on the college experience.
I’m sure cmr would've had a top 3 class just cause he could walk a kid to the stadium and have the announce call his name right?
There are too many venues in dade and broward counties to compete with to raise enough revenue to maintain and upgrade and compare to the stadium we have now. I also guarantee that the property tax in dade county is at least double what it is in Dallas.
Kids visit schools all the time since they’re junior years and see stadiums and have their name called out. It’s not as important as you think.
Yet this comes up year after year by other schools lurkers and trolls that wish they had a stadium half as dope as hard rock. They bring up attendance against crap schools in places where Walmart is an attraction.
People bring this up without knowing anything about dade county and coral gables. The school is literally surrounded by wealthy connected people that ain’t moving and will have several prominent federal Judges, powerful law firms and even people in the White House on speed dial if the school even hinted about an on campus stadium. Which btw there is no room for it as the satellite image that was posted shows.
There was a time when you couldn’t even own a pick up truck if you lived in coral gables.
Why buy the cow when you get the milk for free or in our case lease it.
I’ve stated before that one thing he school should start over with is the locker room and the Schwartz center. And with the money they’re saving by not having an on campus or owning a stadium, that place should be a **** shrine instead of what we have. That I agree with 100. But the stadium has proven to be a non issue. In fact, I’ll say hard rock is a **** recruiting advantage.

We haven't won a single title since they tore the Orange Bowl down. The OB wasn't on campus, but at least it was OURS. It wasn't some rent-a-stadium like Sun Life.

Property tax is actually higher in Dallas than in Miami, and property values in University Park are higher than they are in Coral Gables. And University Park has far more wealthy and connected people than Coral Gables - guaranteed. The Bush Presidential Library is walking distance from the stadium, and his house is only a few minutes away in Preston Hollow.

LOL @ anyone in Coral Gables having the White House on speed dial if Miami tries to build an on-campus stadium. Holy **** do you guys listen to yourselves?

Is it a logistical problem or a political problem. I look on Google maps at Tropical Park and it looks like it would work real well. But, again, I dont live there so I don't know the area.
Long ago in a galaxy far far away a man, a great man, brought the greatest glory to a little university know as Sun Tan U. For years he asked for an small oncampus stadium rather than the massive stadium it had played in for years and he helped coach a pro team to the only Perfect Season ever. The school promised and promised. Then one day they told him he would have to rasise all the money for the stadium, some 50 million dollars in that day. He proceed, with a small band of dedicated Canes, to seek pledges. They started flowing in, reaching nearly 10 million quickly.

Then the evil fake adminstration changed the rules on our hero. They said none of the money could come from people who already dpgave the Sun Tan U — it all had to be from band new “virgin” donors!!! So, after finally reaching the championship all desired, the betrayed Great Hero fled the evil ones and took another post. See he realized they never wanted a stadium on thier prestine little home, for they were little men and women who would look even smaller beside the stadium. Despite even greater success under lesser men, these creature of slime rebutted every effort to build the stadium even allowing the original one to be sold and destroyed.

We haven't won a single title since they tore the Orange Bowl down. The OB wasn't on campus, but at least it was OURS. It wasn't some rent-a-stadium like Sun Life.

Property tax is actually higher in Dallas than in Miami, and property values in University Park are higher than they are in Coral Gables. And University Park has far more wealthy and connected people than Coral Gables - guaranteed. The Bush Presidential Library is walking distance from the stadium, and his house is only a few minutes away in Preston Hollow.

LOL @ anyone in Coral Gables having the White House on speed dial if Miami tries to build an on-campus stadium. Holy **** do you guys listen to yourselves?
Ours? The sign said, "The City Of Miami Welcomes You To The Orange Bowl." We shared it with the Dolphins until JRS was built.

Google Doral.

You're grasping straws now.

Advertisement
I thought we were cool man. Lol. Ok. Aside from the zoning which wouldn’t permit it, we couldn’t afford it in the location that it’s located.

The environmental and traffic studies would show cost prohibitive requirements on the transportation planning and infrastructure development side in that specific location. They would likely need roads widened and extended in ways that would require more money than we have to do acquisitions and then build it out. It’s just not suited for that type of venue to go there, especially with land costs.

I’m not making this up. How do I say this??? I’m an expert in transportation planning and public infrastructure and land acquisitions involving major projects. Yes, Eminent Domain and zoning too. The costs would be insane, the environmental and structural impacts to that neighborhood and the extended neighborhoods would be unbearable, given how it’s all situated.

And politically, if either the state or City leadership has an issue with doing it we would be dead. The stringent requirements would magnify. It would need to be in an area whose situation has the ability to be more easily changed and absorb the new use.

A lot of these issues are political. My point is that UM has enough clout in Coral Gables that if we really wanted to build a stadium, we could get it done.

The entire population of Coral Gables is only like 50,000. We are the biggest employer, biggest tax payer, and biggest net spender by far. So if the city wanted to fight us and try to prevent a stadium, we could easily fight back.

We could literally pack the city counsel with all UM people if we wanted to go that way. We could get all of our people elected to city government. We could rewrite every zoning law in the books and there isn't a thing anyone else in the Gables could do about it.

But we won't bring out the big guns like that, because the University has no interest in building a stadium.

But just because we don't want to put up a fight doesn't mean that we couldn't win one.

That’s all true. But a couple things to consider:

- SMU’s stadium is small and holds 30,000. That’s not an option for us

- SMU has a deeper football history of us. They were in the original SouthWest Conference, probably before we even fielded a team. They were a powerhouse in the 20s - 40s and revolutionized the passing game

- University Park is the the Highland Park High School district which is very committed to a successful football program. So football is a part of the culture there. I can’t say that about Coral Gables.

Dude, I don’t know where you live. But if you don’t think coral gables has wealthy connected people then idk what to tell you fam. I have friends in Dallas and they won’t move here cause of housing prices, insurance and yes property tax. If you knew the traffic around coral gables you would know that dudes would stop any talk about on campus stadium. And again please draw on the map where you would put it. Or anywhere within 5 miles of campus.
University park has a ton of very wealthy people. I lived in Houston for 3 years and spent time in Dallas. I know that area and the fck ton of wealth behind it.
But that’s not the point. The point is that an on campus stadium just isn’t as valuable of a recruiting tool as you may think. And it’s advantageous to um financially, and imo as well as in recruiting. And attendance isn’t affected by its location.

A lot of these issues are political. My point is that UM has enough clout in Coral Gables that if we really wanted to build a stadium, we could get it done.

The entire population of Coral Gables is only like 50,000. We are the biggest employer, biggest tax payer, and biggest net spender by far. So if the city wanted to fight us and try to prevent a stadium, we could easily fight back.

We could literally pack the city counsel with all UM people if we wanted to go that way. We could get all of our people elected to city government. We could rewrite every zoning law in the books and there isn't a thing anyone else in the Gables could do about it.

But we won't bring out the big guns like that, because the University has no interest in building a stadium.

But just because we don't want to put up a fight doesn't mean that we couldn't win one.

It would never happen. The neighborhood has clout, money and friends. The heat would be far worse because of public perception of the actions of the bullies. The politics would be obscene. The pressure..... yeah.

Then the State government would destroy it by the requirements they would create, starting with the environment, the drainage, the roadways and the utilities. They would refuse to support any state or federal roadway funding. FHWA will not pay all of the big money without a submission by the state. And then.... and then the school could easily be looking at road costs with acquisitions and everything that would exceed $1B.

The State government is very powerful. They hold the keys to federal money. This is how shît works in this specific world.

Advertisement

You're definitely a troll because you have no clue what you're talking about. You go on ignore for being a dope.

Miami will never get a stadium but when did our fanbase just settle on Hard Rock as some great place. That place is a bottom 10 NFL stadium and that's being nice. Renovation has improved things but let's not act like we get to play in the Cowboys stadium every week. If it could somehow be done, I'm all for having our own stadium and leaving Hard Rock behind. Miami has never won anything there.

Miami will never get a stadium but when did our fanbase just settle on Hard Rock as some great place. That place is a bottom 10 NFL stadium and that's being nice. Renovation has improved things but let's not act like we get to play in the Cowboys stadium every week. If it could somehow be done, I'm all for having our own stadium and leaving Hard Rock behind. Miami has never won anything there.

I’ve been to both the AT&T Dallas Stadium and of course the hard rock. Several of us here have. I didn’t see anything at the AT&T Stadium that I like better than the hard rock. Maybe other than that big drop-down screen they have on the roof above the 50. That’s about the only advantage they have.

Advertisement
It would never happen. The neighborhood has clout, money and friends. The heat would be far worse because of public perception of the actions of the bullies. The politics would be obscene. The pressure..... yeah.

Then the State government would destroy it by the requirements they would create, starting with the environment, the drainage, the roadways and the utilities. They would refuse to support any state or federal roadway funding. FHWA will not pay all of the big money without a submission by the state. And then.... and then the school could easily be looking at road costs with acquisitions and everything that would exceed $1B.

The State government is very powerful. They hold the keys to federal money. This is how shît works in this specific world.

Not saying there aren't wealthy people in Coral Gables, but the median income for those 50,000 people is only $90k per year. That means most people in Coral Gables are just average Joes. The median home value is only $750k. That's above average but not exactly millionaire's row.

And who the bullies are depends on how you frame it. How would those few rich people in Coral Gables with all this supposed clout sell their message? It seems a lot easier to me to sell UM's message.

"It's your Canes. We want to build them a stadium. Remember all those special memories at the Orange Bowl? That's what we want. The people against this bill are just rich people who don't want you to have a stadium because the traffic will bother them at their golf course. Etc etc." And then you trot out Michael Irvin and all the ex-players that people love. We would win that PR war easily. You win with your own students and faculty, who make up about 1/5 of the entire population of Coral Gables, and you win with all of those 90k millionaires who secretly despise the Riviera Club millionaires behind their walls.

Oh - and UM has far more money and power than any one single person living in the Gables.

And what state politician wants to be the reason Miami doesn't get a stadium? Congresswoman Shalala? No politician is going to put their neck out there like that just to please some golf buddy from Coral Gables. Especially in a Republican administration.

Yes, the project would need an environmental assessment, etc, but so does every other building project done in the city.

Respect your opinion, but I don't agree. I think if the will were there, UM could get this done.

I’ve been to both the AT&T Dallas Stadium and of course the hard rock. Several of us here have. I didn’t see anything at the AT&T Stadium that I like better than the hard rock. Maybe other than that big drop-down screen they have on the roof above the 50. That’s about the only advantage they have.

I live in Dallas, and I actually agree with you about Jerryworld Stadium. I can't stand that place. The place is completely sterile and has no personality at all. I prefer Hard Rock to AT&T stadium.

But that doesn't mean I like Hard Rock either. Probably my biggest complaint about it is that it's in Miami ******* Gardens. David Beckham, of all people, had it exactly right. Miami is one of the most exciting cities in the world. Why the **** are you gonna put a stadium in the one place in Miami that is boring and sanitized? Announcers on TV have to lie and say things like "Welcome to South Beach," just so the audience doesn't fall asleep.

There is literally nothing to do in zero-personality Miami Gardens. One of the best things about the Orange Bowl was that it was in Little Havana. EVERYTHING about that place was 100% Miami. It was the total opposite of AT&T stadium - there was NOTHING sterile or boring about it. The place was dripping with personality. Everything from the No Blockie signs to the fools in the WEZ.

I'm sorry to say, but Hard Rock doesn't have any of that. You have to try pretty hard to make Miami a boring city, but Joe Robbie did his **** best.

The upgrades are nice, but doesn't come close to what we had at the OB.

That’s all true. But a couple things to consider:

- SMU’s stadium is small and holds 30,000. That’s not an option for us

- SMU has a deeper football history of us. They were in the original SouthWest Conference, probably before we even fielded a team. They were a powerhouse in the 20s - 40s and revolutionized the passing game

- University Park is the the Highland Park High School district which is very committed to a successful football program. So football is a part of the culture there. I can’t say that about Coral Gables.

A lot of what you noted had NOTHING to do with why SMU was able to build Gerald Ford Stadium(No it isn't named after the President, it's named after a major donor). SMU was able to build the stadium because Ownby Stadium existed on the same site before. SMU already ahd the land set aside, they just built a new facility where the old one had stood. SMU's stadium is pathetically small, that wouldn't fly for a program like Miami, that historically sells around 40,000 season tickets, which is significantly more than the entire capacity of GFS.

University Park has the same problems with SMU as the City of Coral Gables has with UMiami. Town vs. gown issues didn't go away, it's just easier when you already have the land there, and you aren't looking to add all that much. How do I know? I grew up in University Park, in fact my childhood home was separated by an alley from Greek Row(One of the frats basically adopted me in High School, let's just say I was a partier way before I got to college).

I have been to dozens of SMU games, mostly because my mother is an SMU alum and apparently has a sadistic streak(They were godawful for my entire childhood, I think they won 6 games ONCE in the entire 90s) SMU had thrown in the towel when it came to major college football following the death penalty, let's see what happens if they are able to keep this level of success going, and eventually move into the Big XII. That stadium won't cut it anymore, don't be shocked if they try to expand it, which would then put them in the same dire straits that Miami would be in if we tried to build in CG.

Advertisement

If Hard Rock is a bottom 10 NFL stadium(Which is a complete falsehood), then it's in the top 1% of college facilities. Maybe, not just maybe if more of our fans actually traveled, they'd see how utterly crappy most on campus facilities are. Nebraska still has gigantic troughs to **** in, and a giant fountain for hand washing in each restroom. I'm not joking, I was in shock when I walked into that dump of a restroom. Ben Hill Griffin is an erector set stadium that is miserable for anyone not in a luxury box. Crappy seats, no chair backs for most of the stadium, did I mention that you are basically guessing where your seat is because signage is a rumor? Doak is just as crappy. All that money for stained glass windows, but getting in is a cluster**k every single time. Oh, and it looks like a giant high school stadium underneath.

We're spoiled by playing in Hard Rock, you can have a beer(I actually had to explain to someone at Doak this year that unless you are in their club level, you aren't getting any adult beverages), the food is more than crappy hot dogs and cold pizza, and you can leave without having to fight your way out. Did I mention that parking at Hard Rock is incredibly easy? The thing that drives me nuts at most road games is the parking. It's always an adventure(Hence why it's worth it to find a way to stay at a hotel within walking distance of the stadium). I'm sorry, but I'm not willing to trade all of those amenities, to play in a glorified erector set stadium, just to say "Miami owns it". Who the F cares? Never mind the fact that this incredibly cheap, halfassed fanbase won't put up the money. This is the same fanbase that couldn't manage to come up with 30 million dollars, and that's with the major donors coming up with a big chunk of it. Yep, we can count on you to come up with at minimum 400 MILLION dollars. That's a barebones minimum.

Most? It's right on the highway centrally located to PB, Broward, and Dade. Easy to get in and out. Its hard to find a location with that ease of access for most of the potential attendees.
Campus is in Gables. Students are in a Gables . Most fans are in Miami. Make the Broward folk shlep 20 miles to a game. I believe only 1 other school stadium is farther from their campus than ours.

Long ago in a galaxy far far away a man, a great man, brought the greatest glory to a little university know as Sun Tan U. For years he asked for an small oncampus stadium rather than the massive stadium it had played in for years and he helped coach a pro team to the only Perfect Season ever. The school promised and promised. Then one day they told him he would have to rasise all the money for the stadium, some 50 million dollars in that day. He proceed, with a small band of dedicated Canes, to seek pledges. They started flowing in, reaching nearly 10 million quickly.

Then the evil fake adminstration changed the rules on our hero. They said none of the money could come from people who already dpgave the Sun Tan U — it all had to be from band new “virgin” donors!!! So, after finally reaching the championship all desired, the betrayed Great Hero fled the evil ones and took another post. See he realized they never wanted a stadium on thier prestine little home, for they were little men and women who would look even smaller beside the stadium. Despite even greater success under lesser men, these creature of slime rebutted every effort to build the stadium even allowing the original one to be sold and destroyed.
I never knew that, wow.

Death is the only thing certain. That said, to the OP, give it about a .00000001% chance of a stadium being built on campus and .00000001% for a stadium to built at Tropical park for UM.

Enjoy the Hard Rock as it’s state of art after Ross spent $500M of his own money to upgrade it.

Advertisement
Back