New Stadium

Campus is in Gables. Students are in a Gables . Most fans are in Miami. Make the Broward folk shlep 20 miles to a game. I believe only 1 other school stadium is farther from their campus than ours.
Believe me ,I'd love a stadium at Miami but the city of Coral Gables will not have it , I think there at there max with baseball ,basketball and whatever else.
Remember they pay (2) taxes and don't want there multi-million dollar property to have drunken parties trashing the property and relieving themselves killing there flowers.
I myself would freak if this was near me , have to be honest it would be destructive even if we beat BAMA or Clemson that night

Advertisement
A lot of what you noted had NOTHING to do with why SMU was able to build Gerald Ford Stadium(No it isn't named after the President, it's named after a major donor). SMU was able to build the stadium because Ownby Stadium existed on the same site before. SMU already ahd the land set aside, they just built a new facility where the old one had stood. SMU's stadium is pathetically small, that wouldn't fly for a program like Miami, that historically sells around 40,000 season tickets, which is significantly more than the entire capacity of GFS.

Buddy, are you ok? I never attempted to explain why they were able to build a stadium 100 years ago. That has nothing to do with this.

I said their stadium was small, which would not work for us and that they had a successful program before we even had a team, hence they built a stadium in the 1920s, so they have the stadium space already

You literally said I noted "nothing", then just restated two points and talked about how fratty your childhood was. Yeah, no sh*t, you're fratty - you grow up in penny loafer and khaki capital of the world.

So, some of you armchair politicians who still think this could be done if the school really, really wanted to....my question is, where? And no, filling in lake Osceola and/or tearing down West Lab Elementary are not acceptable answers, so you better come up with something else.

And yeah, Doak and Ben Hill Griffin really are pieces of ****. Both places....most on campus stadiums, are highly overrated.

So, some of you armchair politicians who still think this could be done if the school really, really wanted to....my question is, where? And no, filling in lake Osceola and/or tearing down West Lab Elementary are not acceptable answers, so you better come up with something else.

Burn the whole muth*erf*ucker down

(jk, I think Hard Rock is awesome)

Believe me ,I'd love a stadium at Miami but the city of Coral Gables will not have it , I think there at there max with baseball ,basketball and whatever else.
Remember they pay (2) taxes and don't want there multi-million dollar property to have drunken parties trashing the property and relieving themselves killing there flowers.
I myself would freak if this was near me , have to be honest it would be destructive even if we beat BAMA or Clemson that night
I understand that, but Tropical is not in Coral Gables. i know it won’t happen but it’s perfect location.

Advertisement
This may be sacrilege, but the OB was magical because of the teams not the decrepit stadium. Put those teams in the Hard Rock and the Hard Rock will become magical.
OP, you should attend the FIU game and you will realize why Marlins Park does not work. I am already dreading going there but I will be there to support my Canes

Campus is in Gables. Students are in a Gables . Most fans are in Miami. Make the Broward folk shlep 20 miles to a game. I believe only 1 other school stadium is farther from their campus than ours.
I dispute your claim that most fans are in Miami. Do you have some evidence to support this?

Also, you left out Palm Beach.

I understand that, but Tropical is not in Coral Gables. i know it won’t happen but it’s perfect location.

I know exactly where TP is ,I walk the park 2 times week , Bird Road is MAD-MAX thunder dome in traffic now even though it's PERFECT as far as size and family picnics and so on.

The Palmetto would need to be redone for exit/entry ramps , hey I would love it there I'd walk to the games LOLOL the traffic is the issue there the site is AWESOME though.

Yes, and the students will still have to take a bus to the stadium. Let's say they chose some place like Tropical Park. How are you getting to the stadium from campus? Bird Road or Miller Road? It would take you an hour to go 4 miles. Coming north or south there is never a good time on 826 unless it is 9 pm or later.

Advertisement
Possible locations:

1. Marlins Park - find a city that really wants baseball, find a deep-pockets guy to buy the Marlins, gut the stadium and reconfigure it.

2. Tropical Park - similar situation to "Melreese-converted-to-soccer". Decent access via Bird and Miller, and then extend a "UM-traffic-only" pathway via Blue Road.

3. Crappy shopping center at Douglas Road and NW 7th Avenue. Same size footprint as Marlins Park. Work with the Mas brothers and MLS soccer to share parking capacity for both stadium sites. Shuttles.

4. Buy a place. Hialeah Park. Miami Springs Golf & Country Club.

I live in Dallas, and I actually agree with you about Jerryworld Stadium. I can't stand that place. The place is completely sterile and has no personality at all. I prefer Hard Rock to AT&T stadium.

But that doesn't mean I like Hard Rock either. Probably my biggest complaint about it is that it's in Miami ******* Gardens. David Beckham, of all people, had it exactly right. Miami is one of the most exciting cities in the world. Why the **** are you gonna put a stadium in the one place in Miami that is boring and sanitized? Announcers on TV have to lie and say things like "Welcome to South Beach," just so the audience doesn't fall asleep.

There is literally nothing to do in zero-personality Miami Gardens. One of the best things about the Orange Bowl was that it was in Little Havana. EVERYTHING about that place was 100% Miami. It was the total opposite of AT&T stadium - there was NOTHING sterile or boring about it. The place was dripping with personality. Everything from the No Blockie signs to the fools in the WEZ.

I'm sorry to say, but Hard Rock doesn't have any of that. You have to try pretty hard to make Miami a boring city, but Joe Robbie did his **** best.

The upgrades are nice, but doesn't come close to what we had at the OB.

I grew up in the Old Lady but parking was a disaster unless you had parking inside the gate, which we did since we were Dolphin and Hurricane season ticketholders. If you weren't inside the gate then nothing like being stacked four deep in some dude's neighborhood.

I find the tailgating at Hard Rock actually very good and the Orange lot is rocking an hour before game time.

Or by a troll that just wants to point out that we don't play in an on campus stadium. I haven't heard any "influential past players" mention an on campus stadium lately. BS.

It popped up just yesterday on my stat of the u feed....so pipe down....

Advertisement
Haha, why don't you give it a rest once in a while, you don't have to be a prick every second of your life. I would much rather field a well intention question then have to put up with all the posts from our new "cane fans" with names such as super duper cane, tatesdutyhole, and sebsatianbird who are just here to start ****.

Thank you. I grew up watching the Canes of the 80's and was jealous of the atmosphere I saw at the Ob on TV for all the games I saw. I have been to a number of games elsewhere and for other teams, but nothing ever seemed to match what I saw at the OB. That is why I asked.

And yeah, Doak and Ben Hill Griffin really are pieces of ****. Both places....most on campus stadiums, are highly overrated.
Watchout..................Lake Osceola is sacred ground, and part of the U....forget filling it in....my memories of the pregames back in the day are still vivid.
Never happen.

I never knew that, wow.
Howard is gentleman and never went public with it being his reason for leaving. He went with the story about his sick son but don't you think Miami had the finest health care available? I can't swear what was in his head, but the crap about the donors need to be new is true. I was involved and one of them ones who didn't count. It funny, Howard created a monster that could do what he never imagined possible, fill the OB regularly - remember the Fins had expanded it significantly. Howard imagined 50,000 would be enough. Personally, I always love the OB and wanted to stay, but Howard was very persuasive man.

Advertisement
Howard is gentleman and never went public with it being his reason for leaving. He went with the story about his sick son but don't you think Miami had the finest health care available? I can't swear what was in his head, but the crap about the donors need to be new is true. I was involved and one of them ones who didn't count. It funny, Howard created a monster that could do what he never imagined possible, fill the OB regularly - remember the Fins had expanded it significantly. Howard imagined 50,000 would be enough. Personally, I always love the OB and wanted to stay, but Howard was very persuasive man.
I knew there was a disagreement about wanting/needing a stadium but I didn't know they switched up with something so ridiculous after the money started pouring in. Crazy how inept and corrupt this administration has been going on at least 40 years

Tell me this, smart guy. If there's really no room to build anything on campus, then how does the university plan to expand in the next 30 years for non-football related stuff?

What about when they need a new library, or a new building for the law school? You're telling me the University of Miami has just run out of room?

THAT'S stupidity.

I 1000% GUARANTEE you that the University of Miami owns a lot of land for future expansion. And I guarantee that it's enough to build a stadium on, if they chose to do that.

Going to speak up here as someone who is currently enrolled in a masters program at the school.

1. The majority of student body can give 2 ****s about the football team - this isn't the 80s
2. There is absolutely NO ROOM for a Stadium at or near campus in CG. They've just now knocked down 4 different buildings for the new dorms. That's their plan in the future - tear down what isn't efficient and build something that is.

You're a ******* imbecile if you think a 50k seat football stadium PLUS parking PLUS the traffic it would cause is feasible.

I go back to the examples of TCU and SMU. Both have smaller undergraduate populations than we have. SMU's is less than half. Yet both have on-campus stadiums that are used for many things besides just football.

Being in the middle of the city is a BENEFIT, in that way. Your stadium has a market value for things other than just football.

And yeah... in campuses across America, the football stadium is usually the heart and focal point of student life on campus.

4508648.jpg

**** of a job they're doing filling their stadium. How convenient that it is filling up when they're winning. Did 2017 fly over your head? We had SIXTY SIX THOUSAND people at the VIRGINIA game that year. Winning sells seats - **** you if you think otherwise.

Advertisement
Back