New Stadium

The best opportunity for an on campus ( near campus ) stadium passed 20+ years ago. Holsum Bakery site across Dixie Highway and Red Road now the site of Sunset Place. Probably never would have been approved though.

True, but I bet you'd still see people complaining that it's not "on campus" and that they have to cross US1.

Advertisement
s

For what it's worth, whenever I go out to the restroom during games, there is a not-insignificant number of people hanging out by all the bars and food vendors. If all those people were in their seats at once, I think it would look different. This is the price we pay for playing in a stadium that sells good beer, decent food, and has TVs around everywhere showing the game.

Oh, no doubt.

All the tables were almost taken when I went for my adult beverage refill between the 1st and 2nd quarter.

I do remember I never left my seat at the Notre Dame game. Of course I had my own refill at hand, if you know what I mean

You are right. Plus no way would residents go for that either.

Our "Fans" don't realize that the homes that surround campus are MILLION DOLLAR HOMES. I lived right next to campus throughout undergrad and law school. It was a plain duplex, it would have been considered a typical run of the mill college house anywhere else. That house is worth well over a million dollars. Imagine the houses that have actually been renovated sometime in the last 40 years. Now think about buying dozens if not hundreds of those houses, because that's what you'll need in order to put a 50,000 seat stadium anywhere near campus, with all the infrastructure.

I still have yet to read someone explain the benefit of having an on campus stadium (relative to the dynamics Miami is facing and not some big state school).... Yay we have an on campus stadium like Wake Forest or Vandy... That will definitely draw the recruits....
We have better luck of winning the powerball than ever seeing an on campus stadium.

Our "Fans" don't realize that the homes that surround campus are MILLION DOLLAR HOMES. I lived right next to campus throughout undergrad and law school. It was a plain duplex, it would have been considered a typical run of the mill college house anywhere else. That house is worth well over a million dollars. Imagine the houses that have actually been renovated sometime in the last 40 years. Now think about buying dozens if not hundreds of those houses, because that's what you'll need in order to put a 50,000 seat stadium anywhere near campus, with all the infrastructure.
You would also have to change a ton of zoning laws.

Advertisement
I think most realize Coral Gables is wealthy. So let me ask you, if you could put a stadium a lot closer, where would you put it?

God that Santa's enchanted crap causes a traffic nightmare.

People just don’t get that right now even without the stadium, the traffic in that area makes you want to blow your brains out. That Christmas enchantment is a traffic nightmare.

How about going on US1. I’ve driven in many major cities that you could name in the US, and that few miles stretch from where 95 ends and US1 starts towards the university is almost always a fūcking nightmare. And if there is a basketball game it’s bedlam. And then we’re only talking about what? 7,000 people? And a lot of that traffic is traffic that would be there anyway.

The best opportunity for an on campus ( near campus ) stadium passed 20+ years ago. Holsum Bakery site across Dixie Highway and Red Road now the site of Sunset Place. Probably never would have been approved though.
I used to leave campus really late, between 11 and 1 when the library closed, the most wonderful smell filled the air around that bakery. I haven't thought about that in years.

Advertisement
there isnt anywhere to put it
There is no where to put it say 5,7,10 miles away? Can't get anywhere closer than Hard Rock? I am not one of these that's like, "oh we don't win cause we don't have an on campus stadium." I don't believe that ****. Just geographically ignorant of the area.

Imagine you're a recruit. You're on a visit to some school in the SEC. The coach takes you around campus, shows you the dorms, the practice facilities, and weight room. Then he walks you out to the 50 yard line of the on-campus stadium, where the announcer calls out your name and your picture is up on the jumbotron. The cheerleaders are chanting your name.

What is Miami gonna show them, the IPF?

Having an on-campus stadium is a huge recruiting tool. And Sun Life Stadium, great as it is, isn't ours. It's a rental. And it's nearly an hour away from campus.
We crank out top 20 classes and beat kids that other sec schools and acc schools want
We even had a top 10 class with cmr.
We also won 5 titles. All without on campus stadium. Ask all the former players if they feel like they’ve missed out on the college experience.
I’m sure cmr would've had a top 3 class just cause he could walk a kid to the stadium and have the announce call his name right?
There are too many venues in dade and broward counties to compete with to raise enough revenue to maintain and upgrade and compare to the stadium we have now. I also guarantee that the property tax in dade county is at least double what it is in Dallas.
Kids visit schools all the time since they’re junior years and see stadiums and have their name called out. It’s not as important as you think.
Yet this comes up year after year by other schools lurkers and trolls that wish they had a stadium half as dope as hard rock. They bring up attendance against crap schools in places where Walmart is an attraction.
People bring this up without knowing anything about dade county and coral gables. The school is literally surrounded by wealthy connected people that ain’t moving and will have several prominent federal Judges, powerful law firms and even people in the White House on speed dial if the school even hinted about an on campus stadium. Which btw there is no room for it as the satellite image that was posted shows.
There was a time when you couldn’t even own a pick up truck if you lived in coral gables.
Why buy the cow when you get the milk for free or in our case lease it.
I’ve stated before that one thing he school should start over with is the locker room and the Schwartz center. And with the money they’re saving by not having an on campus or owning a stadium, that place should be a **** shrine instead of what we have. That I agree with 100. But the stadium has proven to be a non issue. In fact, I’ll say hard rock is a **** recruiting advantage.

You know the goal is to attract people, right? You don't do that by making it inconvenient for them. Do you think they'd be able to afford all the amenities that HRS provides? Nope. So now people north of say downtown Miami have to drive farther through worse traffic and pay more for a lesser experience. Ticket sales will drop, then the school has even less money. Your brilliant idea of an on campus stadium has not only reduce income, but increased debt.

More people live in Dade county than Broward. Anything you lose in Broward you make up for in Dade. Maybe it never occurred to you, but a lot of people don't want to travel up to Miami Gardens due to traffic and distance. You would gain those people.

Advertisement
Advertisement
More people live in Dade county than Broward. Anything you lose in Broward you make up for in Dade. Maybe it never occurred to you, but a lot of people don't want to travel up to Miami Gardens due to traffic and distance. You would gain those people.

when the stadium was in little havana, attendance still sucked.

There is no where to put it say 5,7,10 miles away? Can't get anywhere closer than Hard Rock? I am not one of these that's like, "oh we don't win cause we don't have an on campus stadium." I don't believe that ****. Just geographically ignorant of the area.
Again what would be the advantage of having this stadium?

People just don’t get that right now even without the stadium, the traffic in that area makes you want to blow your brains out. That Christmas enchantment is a traffic nightmare.

How about going on US1. I’ve driven in many major cities that you could name in the US, and that few miles stretch from where 95 ends and US1 starts towards the university is almost always a fūcking nightmare. And if there is a basketball game it’s bedlam. And then we’re only talking about what? 7,000 people? And a lot of that traffic is traffic that would be there anyway.

With no place to park. From my kid's apartment at LeJeune and Ponce to someplace like Winn Dixie on Coral Way it takes 15 minutes to go 2.5 miles. On South Dixie Highway just to get to Dadeland is insane. It's bad enough they are putting in two new academic buildings on campus. Any yahoo who thinks there is any room to put a stadium on campus is outside their mind.

There are 11k undergraduates and as you know Miami has a dispropropriate amount of international students who could give a rat's about football. Even the ROTC kids he was with all left after they got introduced. He was going to stay in the student section with them but came back up to club with me. Two of the kids never go to games.

Hardrock is first rate as far as I'm concerned and we are coming up from the Gables.

You guys remember when our current starting QB, 4 star Jarren Williams from Georgia flipped his commitment to UM after attending a game at Hard Rock? He had offers from pretty much every SEC school plus Ohio State... I bet those school went out and immediately built on campus stadiums... 🤔

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...illiams-commits-to-miami-over-ohio-state-more

Some kids just like a crappy atmosphere and a bus ride, I guess... But I'm sure what UM could build would be just as good.

Screen_Shot_2017_11_09_at_6.46.49_PM.0.jpeg

20191109_193041.jpg

UM_VT_42.jpg

I love Bye weeks, they're like a mini-offseason...

Advertisement
Back