New Stadium

i know where this is coming from. I was at a coral gables city commission meeting a month ago and the commission and UM staffers were discussing the idea. seems everyone, including residents, is on-board. the city is going to purchase almost the entire area just east of the Univ of Miami between Granada and Riviera and US1 and Blue Road through the use of eminent domain and then give it to the Univ of Miami as was done in Kelo v. City of New London (545 U.S. 469 (2005)(for all you blue book geeks) in order to build a 55,000 seat single-use stadium (all football, no other bullsh!t). estimatef cost is about $2,000,000,000. there are about 600 houses in that area each of at least at a million dollars each so that's about $750,000,000 (rounding up) right there. the rest is to close off roads, upgrade rights of way and then build the stadium. exemplifying unrivaled largess, residents of the city (including me) have agreed to absorb the tax increase because they are wealthy. all of this to play 6 games a year. and epstein didn't kill himself.

/one has to be dense to continue raising the "build a new stadium" issue.

Nice 1L Property call-back

Advertisement
Not sure that's the consensus of the majority. What is being said is that place is special. People who didn't experience it would never understand it. The mystique of the OB would never be matched...

I was there multiple times per year when I was a kid. But the OB against middling competition was as empty (if not more empty) than those same games today. Miami is a big game town.

In fact, most schools that don't have enrollment in the 25k+ range have difficulty filling their stadium, it's just how it is.

I love the OB and all the memories I have from there but it wasn't this world-beating home environment against the lower end opponents. For big games, nothing can beat it. Hard Rock is our home and it is a **** good home at that.

i know where this is coming from. I was at a coral gables city commission meeting a month ago and the commission and UM staffers were discussing the idea. seems everyone, including residents, is on-board. the city is going to purchase almost the entire area just east of the Univ of Miami between Granada and Riviera and US1 and Blue Road through the use of eminent domain and then give it to the Univ of Miami as was done in Kelo v. City of New London (545 U.S. 469 (2005)(for all you blue book geeks) in order to build a 55,000 seat single-use stadium (all football, no other bullsh!t). estimatef cost is about $2,000,000,000. there are about 600 houses in that area each of at least at a million dollars each so that's about $750,000,000 (rounding up) right there. the rest is to close off roads, upgrade rights of way and then build the stadium. exemplifying unrivaled largess, residents of the city (including me) have agreed to absorb the tax increase because they are wealthy. all of this to play 6 games a year. and epstein didn't kill himself.

/one has to be dense to continue raising the "build a new stadium" issue.

Don't forget about another 2 billion for highway access and road expansions and improvements.

Some of you morons try going to a Saturday afternoon baseball or basketball game on campus.

Or an early evening weekday game.

About half of you would give up about halfway down US1 and turnaround and go home. The other half would vow never to go again.

Forget the fact that Coral Gables wouldn’t allow it, and there’s no room anyway on campus. The billions of dollars it would cost for highway expansion and road improvements - where would it come from?

There should be a rule...next person that starts a thread on a new on campus or Tropical Park stadium...grounds for automatic lifetime ban.

I was there multiple times per year when I was a kid. But the OB against middling competition was as empty (if not more empty) than those same games today. Miami is a big game town.

In fact, most schools that don't have enrollment in the 25k+ range have difficulty filling their stadium, it's just how it is.

I love the OB and all the memories I have from there but it wasn't this world-beating home environment against the lower end opponents. For big games, nothing can beat it. Hard Rock is our home and it is a **** good home at that.

in 01, we woild still do kids in free promotions to get people to go. it would be empty for the same **** games as HRS would be now. we'll never draw a big crowd for the middle of the pack ACC teams. only games that will guarantee a big crowd is FSU, UF, and a marquee nonconf (ND, OSU, etc)

Advertisement
Hard Rock is very impressive. I was there for the VA Tech game and was blown away. Great tailgates, loud, awesome video and amenities. It compares favorably to the Ravens stadium and is light years ahead of the Redskins stadium.

My only comment is, realistically, it will be hard to fill against lesser opponents. Why did they stop covering the upper end zones with the big U banners? They actually look fine and it would make the stadium louder and more exciting.

Hard Rock is very impressive. I was there for the VA Tech game and was blown away. Great tailgates, loud, awesome video and amenities. It compares favorably to the Ravens stadium and is light years ahead of the Redskins stadium.

My only comment is, realistically, it will be hard to fill against lesser opponents. Why did they stop covering the upper end zones with the big U banners? They actually look fine and it would make the stadium louder and more exciting.

Because when over 50,000 seats are sold, it doesn't make any sense to cover them because there isn't enough to cover. The U has no control over who doesn't show-up. You can't cover sections where seats have been sold.

Advertisement
Because when over 50,000 seats are sold, it doesn't make any sense to cover them because there isn't enough to cover. The U has no control over who doesn't show-up. You can't cover sections where seats have been sold.
That seems solvable. It's just data. If you KNOW you aren't selling out against CMU, then don't sell those sections unless you absolutely need them. Release the two upper end zones only if the market responds.

Man we play in a world class stadium, that gets great support when we're good, idk what else people want

Advertisement
People need to change their perspective. Empty seats down lower are nothing but free upgrade opportunities for your nosebleed corner end zone seats.

That seems solvable. It's just data. If you KNOW you aren't selling out against CMU, then don't sell those sections unless you absolutely need them. Release the two upper end zones only if the market responds.
Some people have season tickets in those upper deck sections. What are you going to do with them?

Don't forget about another 2 billion for highway access and road expansions and improvements.

Some of you morons try going to a Saturday afternoon baseball or basketball game on campus.

Or an early evening weekday game.

About half of you would give up about halfway down US1 and turnaround and go home. The other half would vow never to go again.

Forget the fact that Coral Gables wouldn’t allow it, and there’s no room anyway on campus. The billions of dollars it would cost for highway expansion and road improvements - where would it come from?

There should be a rule...next person that starts a thread on a new on campus or Tropical Park stadium...grounds for automatic lifetime ban.

no one ever considers infrastructure costs of getting that many people to campus. a plan to upgrade the streets and eminent domain costs to purchase enough property to widen the roads (not to mention the years of lawsuits that would have to be settled) make any plan dead on arrival. you're looking at $1.5-2 billion in construction costs just to make the roads, not counting the properties that have to be bought out and the legal fees.

Advertisement
75% of the stadium seats are allotted to season tickets. For 2018, we sold about 48,000 season tickets. One of the upper end zones you reference is part of the mandatory away allotment.

2C75FD97-EC94-47A5-8F10-D97DE578F721.gif

Advertisement
Back