New Stadium

Not like it matters but if the Marlins weren’t there could it be reconfigured?

Truthfully, no, not in a way that would be up to snuff for a major college football programs home field. Part of the issue when it was built was that it was configured in such a way structurally that significantly limits its ability to be anything other than a baseball stadium.

Advertisement
I see this pop up from time to time, where certain influential past players talk about having an on campus stadium or converting Tropical Park. I don't live there so it is hard to know what is really a possibility. Do we really have no room for a stadium on campus? Is Tropical Park a possibility?
Campus is only 220 acres...No room...Coral Gables would never allow it...

You can’t change that. Baseball fields are wide while football fields are narrow. If the venue host both then the football experience will suck
3 Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh was constructed for both, as were most "super stadiums" of the 70's. Watching Steelers games there was by far the best football experience I've ever had other than ND at The Rock and that was one **** game of magic let's not act like that's consistent there. I get what you're saying in terms of nowadays when they try to convert baseball only fields for Bowl games etc it does look ridiculous, but it was easily a doable situation for several stadiums and cities for decades. The sidelines weren't like that they were filled with moveable seats.

Stop it.
@RVACane schooled me on stadium expenditures on another thread.
A stadium is a big chunk of cement incurring property taxes (ridiculous in dade county) maintenance and the occasional upgrades. Not to mention slip and fall lawsuits and all kinds of crazy sht. Storm damage etc etc.
We talk here a lot about facilities. Bud hardrock just underwent a ton of them and it cost the school absolutely nothing.
Usc just spent 300million in partnership with the rams and the naming rites company.
I strongly advise anyone that hasn’t gone to a game down here to come to the next night game and watched the team walk through the smoke after they blackout the stadium. That should stop all arguments about an off campus stadium. No room on campus unless your gonna start buying out million dollar homes and that’s definitely not happening.

Advertisement
An on campus stadium will never happen and as a resident of the City I wouldn't want it either. I am sure the board members that live in the Gables would also be opposed to it.

I'm still surprised that the school was able to even get a basketball arena built. That was enough of a feat, for Coral Gables.

You can’t change that. Baseball fields are wide while football fields are narrow. If the venue host both then the football experience will suck
The last time I was in HRS prior to saturday was before the remodel. Because of the accommodations for baseball the seats were further back and higher up. It was a night and day difference.

Anybody that suggests leaving Hard Rock has either never been there or suffered head trauma.

Advertisement
Maybe they should just cover more of the stadium to make it seem more full. Watching on TV it seems like a ghost town.
Win and that place is packed. Yes that’s unfortunate but it’s a reality in major markets. Yankee stadium is a ghost town when the Yankees suck. USC games look like you could sit anywhere you want. Look at FSU this season and all the sht they talked about attendance. Win and play a good team and you get this.

Our stadium hosts Super Bowls and was recently completely revamped for the best to continue to do so. Since Richt, they've learned how to sell it properly and with the addition of the Indoor Practice Facility have brought our facilities from some of the worst to some of the best in the country. We aren't losing recruits because of the our stadium. "if you make it an issue it becomes one" was one of many errors Golden made and Richt went the opposite way on with success.

I was on the sideline saturday for the game and trust me HRS is just fine....here's the deal start winning consistently and make the offense exciting and the stands will fill up more.

Also go look at our attendance even when we were winning consistently and we never sold it out unless it was certain teams

Advertisement
Advertisement
I see this pop up from time to time, where certain influential past players talk about having an on campus stadium or converting Tropical Park. I don't live there so it is hard to know what is really a possibility. Do we really have no room for a stadium on campus? Is Tropical Park a possibility?
I hear there is room in Coconut Grove, next to the Sand Bar

i know where this is coming from. I was at a coral gables city commission meeting a month ago and the commission and UM staffers were discussing the idea. seems everyone, including residents, is on-board. the city is going to purchase almost the entire area just east of the Univ of Miami between Granada and Riviera and US1 and Blue Road through the use of eminent domain and then give it to the Univ of Miami as was done in Kelo v. City of New London (545 U.S. 469 (2005)(for all you blue book geeks) in order to build a 55,000 seat single-use stadium (all football, no other bullsh!t). estimatef cost is about $2,000,000,000. there are about 600 houses in that area each of at least at a million dollars each so that's about $750,000,000 (rounding up) right there. the rest is to close off roads, upgrade rights of way and then build the stadium. exemplifying unrivaled largess, residents of the city (including me) have agreed to absorb the tax increase because they are wealthy. all of this to play 6 games a year. and epstein didn't kill himself.

/one has to be dense to continue raising the "build a new stadium" issue.

Nothing wrong with hard rock so I’m not sure what’s people issue about it . Best hope for a stadium close to campus imo is if the marlins relocate elsewhere and Miami makes massive renovations to their current stadium.

Why is there this false narrative that the OB was packed to the brim week after week?
Not sure that's the consensus of the majority. What is being said is that place is special. People who didn't experience it would never understand it. The mystique of the OB would never be matched...

Advertisement
Back