New Stadium To Call Home?

I'd be very interested to know what the demographic breakdown is of fans who attend our games (what % are from Broward, Dade, Palm Beach, elsewhere in FL, out of state, etc). I also think that as Broward has become much more of a major player in high school football and producing P5 talent over the last 20 years or so, it can't hurt us to have a major presence there.

This is never going to be an easy answer because there's not going to be an on-campus stadium and some segment of the fanbase is going to bytch and complain regardless of where we play. But one thing I don't think any of us can disagree about is that, location aside, we unequivocally will not play in a nicer stadium with nicer amenities and all the trimmings outside of Hard Rock Stadium. And when we are winning and the stadium is packed, I can't think of a better realistic option.
Good evening... do you want to know the demographics or do you want to know where the fans live? Funny you bring up demographics because that issue has been carefully brought up here in the past to explain why a stadium around campus wouldn't "have more than 15K attending"... which is total bullshiit. However, demographics drives an underlying force to any marketing scheme hence the soccer stadium ideas in Miami.
When all is said and done... me who wishes for a stadium closer to campus... could be coaxed to move northward if some great real estate deal were to become available... then this humble poster would quietly join the JRS bandwagon... but just to attend the Canes games and maybe the Miami Open.

Advertisement
Let’s just pray that they renew it with HR when the time comes. I like the stadium as it is and the fact that it’s a pro stadium. School
Campus stadium would kill the Bars amenities that we get to enjoy as adults.

Good evening... do you want to know the demographics or do you want to know where the fans live? Funny you bring up demographics because that issue has been carefully brought up here in the past to explain why a stadium around campus wouldn't "have more than 15K attending"... which is total bullshiit. However, demographics drives an underlying force to any marketing scheme hence the soccer stadium ideas in Miami.
When all is said and done... me who wishes for a stadium closer to campus... could be coaxed to move northward if some great real estate deal were to become available... then this humble poster would quietly join the JRS bandwagon... but just to attend the Canes games and maybe the Miami Open.
I think you're getting caught up in semantics, location is a "common variable that is gathered in demographic research" (https://www.investopedia.com/terms/d/demographics.asp).

We're not going to have a stadium near campus because there simply isn't a viable solution with adequate seating for a realistic cost. These soccer stadium ideas are horrible because the seating capacity is always some paltry figure that handicap our capacity at below 40k. It is what it is.

Well, since you put it that way, even pigs WILL fly someday. It is inevitable. However, I don’t see it happening in the near future. Unless, of course (one example), IF the Marlins become an unwanted weed in our backyard, IF their baseball park goes the way of the old Miami Heat center, IF we get influential Miami alumni in the ***** of Miami government who decide to allow to pair the U with the site...a lot of IFS, then that is possible.

I left Miami a long time ago, I’m in the Pacific Northwest. I am a Fins fan, but have not attended a game since Huizenga owned them last. Why do you ask?
My friend I envy that you live in the Pacific northwest... the sportsman that I am loves that part of our country.
The reason I asked is that most Fins fans support the Canes playing at JRS... it's a warm and cozy venue.
Well since you brought up Marlins Park yes... the scenario you explained could happen, however, the next buyer isn't going to get the deal of the century that ***galoon Loria got. I agree that a lot of ifs would have to happen but who knows. Sadly the problem is always $$$ and more $$$ and how to get government to disguise $$$ for the U.

Advertisement
My point is the stadium will be built near the airport. The MLS team will play at Lockhart until their actual stadium is built near the airport. Lockhart will eventually be the location of the training facilities.

its 25k capacity and ill wait and see if it gets built at the melreese site. you're clearly not from SFL bc there are a ton of issues w getting the melreese site approved (hence why theyre going to lock hart first). i dont think they'll ever get the melreese site tbh

Since u dont know the area I wont laugh about this. There is two possible areas a stadium could be done and both are reaches to an extent. #1 tamiami park. #2 tropical park. One is owned by the city the other private. You gotta consider traffic & parking when considering a stadium that needs to house atleast 50k fans (and that's conservative) that area already has little to no room for roads. You put that traffic around that area and you'll be stuck in traffic for God knows how many hours. Only place that would be worse is campus.

FIU bought Tamiami park i thought or owns a lot of it

Here’s my thoughts about The Broward contingents saying it would be a bad move to be closer to campus....was it a problem at the OB?

Also, like u said, we are the red headed step children at The Rock. I would like to call a place our true home, even if we’re partners with another entity. With all that being said, however, I just don’t see any motivating factor that this happens.

traffic is worse now than it was when the OB was around. it would be a nightmare to put a football stadium down there again imo. also, w the renos at HRS, its an awesome facility. no reason to move anymore. also, theyre building overpass walkways to get across the street to the parking lots so they dont have to stop traffic anymore to let people cross

Advertisement
The Inter Miami deal is a full on clusterf*ck. They can’t get the MLS approval without a downtown Miami stadium and they can’t get a Miami stadium. And 25K is looking too high now. I thought they already changed it to 15K - 20K.

Let’s just pray that they renew it with HR when the time comes. I like the stadium as it is and the fact that it’s a pro stadium. School
Campus stadium would kill the Bars amenities that we get to enjoy as adults.

there isn't room on campus to place a big stadium anyways and CG is a pain in the butt to deal with when they used to do the homecoming concert on the green. imagine the crap they'll pull with a stadium. the residents around UM hate UM and everyone associated with it (including students)

I'm in Naples. I also have family in Miami Beach and Boca. Hard Rock is about mutually inconvenient. Therefore it's pretty perfect.

Also I have a close relative that is currently a student. Most of the students, especially frat kids rather party off campus unless it's a huge, huge game. I know most of them won't be going to Orlando. UM students are different man. We're not like Penn State cultists that will show up with 100k fans at 11AM against Iowa. There's things to do here. Students got amped for FSU and Notre Dame. That's about it

Advertisement
I'm in Naples. I also have family in Miami Beach and Boca. Hard Rock is about mutually inconvenient. Therefore it's pretty perfect.

Also I have a close relative that is currently a student. Most of the students, especially frat kids rather party off campus unless it's a huge, huge game. I know most of them won't be going to Orlando. UM students are different man. We're not like Penn State cultists that will show up with 100k fans at 11AM against Iowa. There's things to do here. Students got amped for FSU and Notre Dame. That's about it

agreed. that's how it was when i was there. the frats would try to force students to go to noon games and they still didnt give a ****. most kids show up to tailgate and bounce before kick to keep the party going.

Hopefully the wrongness of your ways will some day be corrected.

Hopefully the wrongness of your ways will some day be corrected.
I mean it is what it is. Getting angry about student football attendance, or for that matter live sporting event attendance in South Florida more broadly is a fool's errand. It's like being upset that you can never build a snowman here.

Miami is an event town. There's too many things to do here, especially for students. Students are 18-23 years old in Miami without the stress of a job. To get them to show up to anything it's gotta be worth it.

UM kids aren't gonna go to a 1:30 game against Syracuse. A prime-time night rivalvry home game with an undefeated team in contention for the playoffs, yes, it will be wild. I have never been to any sports game more wild than the night against ND. We turn up. But it has to be worth turning up for. This ain't Madison Wisconsin or Lubbock Texas. We got entertainment options.

When Bron Bron was here the Heat were must see sell-outs. Now it's whatever. That is the nature of our market. We're all transplants. Either from other states or other countries. There's a billion fun things to do. To draw a crowd in Miami it's gotta be something special

Advertisement
My friend I envy that you live in the Pacific northwest... the sportsman that I am loves that part of our country.
The reason I asked is that most Fins fans support the Canes playing at JRS... it's a warm and cozy venue.
Well since you brought up Marlins Park yes... the scenario you explained could happen, however, the next buyer isn't going to get the deal of the century that ***galoon Loria got. I agree that a lot of ifs would have to happen but who knows. Sadly the problem is always $$$ and more $$$ and how to get government to disguise $$$ for the U.
Indeed, it is beautiful country here. I understand the Fins fans take on this. There was a time I clamored for a U stadium, as early as resurrection of a retro OB (when Marlins park was in the talks) to as recent as Tropical Park. The reality set in with MR’s hire and the Rock upgrades. I believe Miami politicians can be bought (not necessarily for a cash bribe, but with incentives) that’s all I Knew when in Miami. If I won a Billion dollar jackpot, I’d be down in SFLA looking to build my U a stadium of its own. I got enough to retire - I don’t need much, wouldn’t need the jackpot for myself.

I mean it is what it is. Getting angry about student football attendance, or for that matter live sporting event attendance in South Florida more broadly is a fool's errand. It's like being upset that you can never build a snowman here.

Miami is an event town. There's too many things to do here, especially for students. Students are 18-23 years old in Miami without the stress of a job. To get them to show up to anything it's gotta be worth it.

UM kids aren't gonna go to a 1:30 game against Syracuse. A prime-time night rivalvry home game with an undefeated team in contention for the playoffs, yes, it will be wild. I have never been to any sports game more wild than the night against ND. We turn up. But it has to be worth turning up for. This ain't Madison Wisconsin or Lubbock Texas. We got entertainment options.

When Bron Bron was here the Heat were must see sell-outs. Now it's whatever. That is the nature of our market. We're all transplants. Either from other states or other countries. There's a billion fun things to do. To draw a crowd in Miami it's gotta be something special
Good perspective... accurate. Students do not have to be team fanatics, especially the "transplants" who end up transplanting again. As for me... I've been living in Miami for 55 of my 64 years. I made the Canes a priority early on and never missed an OB game during 22 yrs. as a STH. But most of us here on CIS are real Canes whether living here or not, and we are all orange and green football fiends... the few, the proud, the CIS crazies.

UM has about 17,000 students and you know **** well you'll never get 100% attendance.

I live north of the stadium and I commuted to campus 25 years ago. Now that would be a logistical impossibility for me to make that drive after work. Traffic is worse, parking would be a disaster, and there's no way any other stadium would be as nice as HRS. I drove past Bobby Dodd stadium today and you can see the bleachers up in the nosebleeds. Does anybody here really like the idea of sitting on a bleacher for 3+ hours?

Indeed, it is beautiful country here. I understand the Fins fans take on this. There was a time I clamored for a U stadium, as early as resurrection of a retro OB (when Marlins park was in the talks) to as recent as Tropical Park. The reality set in with MR’s hire and the Rock upgrades. I believe Miami politicians can be bought (not necessarily for a cash bribe, but with incentives) that’s all I Knew when in Miami. If I won a Billion dollar jackpot, I’d be down in SFLA looking to build my U a stadium of its own. I got enough to retire - I don’t need much, wouldn’t need the jackpot for myself.
I feel the same... I've already pledged $3K from my humble 401K for a Hurricane Stadium... but if the good Lord were to bless me with a big jackpot my wife knows that I will donate a big chunk for a UM stadium as long as they name it Gruntking Stadium.
Also, you would see me in your neck of the woods off and on.

Advertisement
Back