New Stadium To Call Home?

Advertisement
Baylor, a school about the size of UM, built McLane Stadium for $266 million 5 years ago with a capacity of 45k and expandable to 55k. Considering the thieves and crooks who’ve governed Miami since the 60’s and I can’t imagine Miami building a 65k stadium for less than $500 million (see: Stadium, Marlins Park)

Kyle Field was renovated for $483 million 5 years ago (much larger capacity). Penn State’s new Beaver Stadium will likely exceed that whenever they choose to move forward.

So yeah,what I’ve been saying for years.

Forget the crooks, not even counting them...south Florida construction and labor costs alone would make a decent stadium a half billion dollar venture.

For 6 - 8 football games a year.

I’ve said it’s million times before, without a benefactor willing to put up at least 2-300 million, there’s ZERO chance. And actually, the benefactor might actually have to put up the entire amount or close to it. Which is arguably around a half billion

Question is soccer popular in Overtown ?

GOCANES

it isnt about overtown. its the only sites beckham is proposing to play within the city center vs in the middle of west miami or FTL. if beckham gets suarez, messi, or ronaldo in the near future, people will go to boca to watch them play. the marlins kinda ran into this issue when they moved south. no one gives a bleep about htem when they suck and the PB and Broward ticket holders disappeared after the move (its far easier to go once a week on a sat to MP vs 81 times including weekdays with traffic)

Baylor, a school about the size of UM, built McLane Stadium for $266 million 5 years ago with a capacity of 45k and expandable to 55k. Considering the thieves and crooks who’ve governed Miami since the 60’s and I can’t imagine Miami building a 65k stadium for less than $500 million (see: Stadium, Marlins Park)

Kyle Field was renovated for $483 million 5 years ago (much larger capacity). Penn State’s new Beaver Stadium will likely exceed that whenever they choose to move forward.

Like anything in south Florida, it's about the location not what you build on it. UM would first have purchase a vast swath of property since there's not nearly enough room on campus. The actual construction costs would probably be cheaper than the property.

For comparison, FAU stadium in Boca is a pretty bare bones, 30k seat facility but it only cost 70 million (lol "only") to build.
UCF spent $54 million to build their 44k seat facility in 2007 but already spent another 8 million renovating it in 2014 and are facing a $14 million repair bill to replace rusted beams that are only 11 years old.

Both of those stadiums are of the "skeleton" variety also. Pretty much bare bones steel structures with almost none of the amenities we're used to at HRS.

Between buying the property and constructing the facility, $1 billion isn't a stretch.

Advertisement
The only way the University of Miami gets a $500-900 million football stadium is to win a bid for the Olympics.

But if you think Miami is crooked now, wait until they’re dealing with the IOC and the different international federations.

You do make some good points here I must say.

GOCANES

With the Olympics being in Los Angeles in 2028 the earliest the United States would get the Olympics again would be … If history held … 2044. (LA ‘84, ATL ‘96). Best case scenario, 25 years from now.

Crazy idea: cost about 2 billion dollars to reclaim part of the sea off the coast of Coral Gables (think Fisher Island) that’s dedicated to retail shopping, entertainment and sports stadiums UM and MLS (special ferries going back and forth). It’s a long play, but all parties would have a profitable asset in about 10 years, maybe 15. I said it was crazy*

*Japan’s airport that was built in 2000 from reclaimed sea is sinking. There’s that.
There's no way any environmentalist would allow that to happen. And if they did, you know any effects further up the coast would cause years of litigation. You'd have a better shot of putting one on stilts in the Everglades.

HRS is awesome but can still feel a bit antiseptic with its sheer size and a million things to distract you from focusing on the game. A revamped Marlins Park that fits 50k would be ideal imo.

HRS is awesome but can still feel a bit antiseptic with its sheer size and a million things to distract you from focusing on the game. A revamped Marlins Park that fits 50k would be ideal imo.

every new stadium is going to have things distract you. stadiums are losing attendance to TV sets and they need to bring home like amenities to the stadium. i personally dont like the bare bones stadiums w nothing in there like ND, UF, FSU.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back