New Recruiting strategy??

I think it's a great strategy..

1) in a down year in S. Fla you go where you need to get better players..

2) it opens up other avenues to areas where you might not presently be in....

3) we seem to have a lot less problems with BS from kids that are out of state.
#3 couldn't be further from the truth.

Advertisement
This isn't some strategic trend we're trying. It's a down year in South florida. Even with that said, we should always be trying to snag the most elite players regardless of area.

This is the most talent-rich football area in the entire world, and it's not even really debatable. Anybody who would purposely recruit less South Florida kids is committing career suicide.

We've been recruiting OOS kids for a while now and many of them turned out to be JAGs or straight up 🗑️.
Some of them also debunked the myths that OOS kids are tougher, better behaved, more likely to compete, and less likely to transfer.

Last edited:
You also don’t purposely ignore the one advantage your program has over everyone else simply because some local kids hurt your feelings before. Is there drama here? Yes. Are some kids divas? Probably. But that’s what you deal with when you want the best players. The only teams that purposely avoid south Florida recruiting are ones that suck anyway. I’d venture to say we’d probably sign more of the local kids if we hadn’t sucked for so long. You can still go out of state if you want. There’s nothing wrong with chasing out of state talent, specifically of the local crop is in a down year but you’re not going to be able to fill out entire classes with kids from halfway across the country. I mean look at our current class. We’ve got what, eight kids committed? Nine? It’s a good haul from an average rating perspective but we’re still lagging behind in terms of number of commits. We’re not planning on taking a full class this year so it’s not an issue but most years, you’re signing 22-25 kids and it’s not realistic to think you’re going to sign 25 OOS blue chip players. Think about it from a scouting perspective. Our staff can always scout local kids in person. Go to games, meet with coaches, watch practices. You can get a much better feel for a kid if you can see him in person a lot. Out of town kids, you’re relying on tape and text messaging.

Advertisement
The SoFla kid seems to love recruiting more so than others around the country. Stewart, Wesley and Kelly all seem to want to let the process play out. **** even Little Jr is still uncommitted even tho his dad has been slurping Bama the entire process. It's a down year overall down here but there is still some top level talent but they all want to wait things out.

From a strategic standpoint if local talent have a desire to leave to some out of state program for whatever reason, the same reasoning could apply to out of state talent that want to leave their local surroundings to experience something else. So why not go after out of state talent using that as a strategy?

Playing for the crib doesn't always sell with these kids.

I don't think we are doing this because we want to ignore the So FL kids. I think we are doing it to put pressure on them. Too many of the So FL kids love to play games and wait out recruiting. Other big schools like Clemson and Bama will have all these top rated players they are targeting pretty much locked up with like 2 or 3 waiting while we be waiting on 7 or 8 to decide then we lose half of that and have to go back up plan.
Now if the So FL kid know the next person they are up against for a spot is the #1 player from GA or CA for example and those players are likely to commit before the season even start, thats pressure for them, good pressure for us.

I don't think we should ignore FL and more importantly So FL and i don't think we are, but we needed a change of strategy. We have to step into the top 7, top 5 nationally if we are gonna challenge the upper level of CFB. Getting 10, 11, etc is only gonna get you so far. We have the brand identity to recruit nationally and we should use it on only top players from out of state.

This should be our strategy every year:

Angry Gary Oldman GIF

Numbers always sort themselves out. Give T-Rob the keys to the city and an annual bonus in the form of a fully loaded Brinks truck. If Manny needs to promote him to co-DC or even DC eventually so be it, just keep him on staff as long as possible and saturate the roster with blue-chip talent. Hopefully the rest of the staff can pick up some tricks of the trade from him on the trail.

Advertisement
From a strategic standpoint if local talent have a desire to leave to some out of state program for whatever reason, the same reasoning could apply to out of state talent that want to leave their local surroundings to experience something else. So why not go after out of state talent using that as a strategy?

Playing for the crib doesn't always sell with these kids.

I been saying this.

Kids nowadays grow up watching people travel to exotic places on social media. Our culture likes to get around.

Miami hasn’t done a good enough job taking advantage of this.

Advertisement
I'm a s.fla homer but LOVE the out of state gets this class.

Still want to see more of a new orleans presence, as well as Dallas,

This.

We should have a HEAVY emphasis on scouring large cities for talent.

Miami has a great reputation and allure with these kids as a city and school. The kids are not scared off by the fast pace like many of the small town kids can be.

Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, Cali, Chicago, Memphis, St Louis, Philly, DC etc etc etc. Offer early and keep pumping them out.

The same phenomenon that makes kids want to leave south Florida makes us attractive to national recruits. This is where evaluation is key. There are many talented players below big bag level and they are low hanging fruit. The bag schools can’t get them all and the rest can’t compete with what we offer if we really get our **** together.

I don't think we are doing this because we want to ignore the So FL kids. I think we are doing it to put pressure on them. Too many of the So FL kids love to play games and wait out recruiting. Other big schools like Clemson and Bama will have all these top rated players they are targeting pretty much locked up with like 2 or 3 waiting while we be waiting on 7 or 8 to decide then we lose half of that and have to go back up plan.
Now if the So FL kid know the next person they are up against for a spot is the #1 player from GA or CA for example and those players are likely to commit before the season even start, thats pressure for them, good pressure for us.

I don't think we should ignore FL and more importantly So FL and i don't think we are, but we needed a change of strategy. We have to step into the top 7, top 5 nationally if we are gonna challenge the upper level of CFB. Getting 10, 11, etc is only gonna get you so far. We have the brand identity to recruit nationally and we should use it on only top players from out of state.
Bro we're not even good enough to put pressure on elite kids.

Why would any kid with offers from the likes of Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, etc feel pressured to commit to the Miami Hurricanes right now?

We really need to stop over-valuing our favorite program and be realistic about where we're at right now. The local perception of our program is that we lose to lesser talented teams and we don't do a good job of developing NFL talent. And it's hard to argue with that right now.

Why would any kid with offers from the likes of Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, etc feel pressured to commit to the Miami Hurricanes right now?

We really need to stop over-valuing our favorite program and be realistic about where we're at right now. The local perception of our program is that we lose to lesser talented teams and we don't do a good job of developing NFL talent. And it's hard to argue with that right now.
Showtime Recording GIF by CBS

Advertisement

Most kids go to school in areas where they are from. If Miami loads up on a top 5 clasd with high rated kids from other states and are left with few spots, the high rated kids from SO FL will feel pressure and look at Miami different, i am convinced of that. My opinion and my thought process. When they see us at 15th with 12 3 stars and projects and they are about to be the only blue chips, they are giving Miami consideration but then they think twice if thats a class thats gonna win even with their committment. That's my perception. You think Singletary would look at us more interestingly with the class we have now or if we have 3 3 star kids that were unranked nationally? The top kids speak to each other. They know

Most kids go to school in areas where they are from. If Miami loads up on a top 5 clasd with high rated kids from other states and are left with few spots, the high rated kids from SO FL will feel pressure and look at Miami different, i am convinced of that. My opinion and my thought process. When they see us at 15th with 12 3 stars and projects and they are about to be the only blue chips, they are giving Miami consideration but then they think twice if thats a class thats gonna win even with their committment. That's my perception. You think Singletary would look at us more interestingly with the class we have now or if we have 3 3 star kids that were unranked nationally? The top kids speak to each other. They know
I'm with these kids everyday. The only thing that's going to make them look at Miami different is if Miami starts winning and sending kids to the NFL in the early rounds.

South Florida kids, more than any other kids in the country, look at football as a business. Even from the time they're in optimist.

It's also extremely hard to assemble a top-5 class with a bunch of highly rated kids from out of state. Only the elite programs are able to do that. We can do that when we're winning and can offer more than their local programs.

You just said yourself that kids generally go to school in the areas where they're from. So you want to reach for highly ranked kids in Georgia, Texas, Louisiana etc... When those same kids are already being recruited by Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Clemson, Florida State, Texas, etc... And we're trying to pull them away from those local powerhouses. (while they're winning)

We can't pull kids from our own backyard who are being recruited by Alabama, but you want to chase kids FROM ALABAMA who are being recruited by Alabama?

How's that work?

Right now we have Zero South Florida commits and 7 out of state commits. Do you think this will be a trend going forward or is it just this class?
This was stated several times in multiple threads. The staff isn’t taking commitments from kids, unless they believe they’re a done deal. We’ve matured as a program. Kids won’t use us to hold a spot and let their senior season and the recruiting process play out on our time. The official side chick program is now fsu. 😂

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back