New Recruiting strategy??

It's not a trend. It's because the local class is weak this year. There's a few local big fish we still have on the hook but overall it's one of the worst years for SOuth Florida recruiting I can remember. If there's not a lot of local talent, you go out of state for it. Next year the class will be completely different.

Advertisement
Ehhh I’m a big proponent of chasing kids nationally especially my home state of Texas

but 80% of the class yearly should most definitely be from Florida/south Florida

Miami is a national brand (some would say even global)- ergo recruiting should follow.
Not only is this common sense - it's very "2021" thinking....

Yeah I have posted it a few times, in all my years following recruiting I do not recall a year where not a SINGLE offensive skill position (WR, TE, RB, or QB) from So.Fla was not in the top 300. DE class this year may be the best ever on paper out of So.Fla., but aside from that? Not much.

Lolll

Recruiting at Miami prioritizes like this
1. South Florida
2. Florida
3. National

In that exact order, if it isn’t local then you go across Florida. If it isn’t there you go national. Some positions obvious more than others but that has been priority for a while now.

Advertisement
Not a trend. Several of our most desired SOFL kids have offers, but haven't committed. You know who they all are. Stewart, Bissanthe, Kelly, Little, Jones Jr. etc. It's on the kids.

Advertisement
We will find anything to complain about. We’re literally forming our best recruiting class in very long time but we’re “concerned” about a strategy that seems to be kicking more *** than an a pro MMA fighter in bar brawl.
Our roster is literally littered right now with a list of elite sofla recruits.
The strategy seems to be on fckng point.
Whose complaining? You seem to be the only one arguing?

Advertisement
I think its a new strategy and ill tell you why. Their are talented kids outside of the state, no florida school as won a title in 8 years case in point. The kids even from south florida know there are dudes all over the country. If Miami starts filling up on top rated kids from other areas, the Florida kids will start feeling pressure to make decisions or become bandwagon.

Where as previously they had all the cards and keep waiting for months and months to commit then alot of times leaving us at the alter. Now if they see Miami has a class ranked top 5, it has a domino effect where they feel they can win with that class. Its brilliant really, we should focus on south florida but if they are slow playing us we have the brand to get #1 players from all over the country, GA, CA, TX. They treat us with more respect these days than kids from the area in alot of cases.
💯

Advertisement
I agree with everyone who says it was a tactical response to a historically weak local talent pool outside of the DL.

I also think it shows how much better this staff is at recruiting versus previous cycles when they are pulling in this level of talent even from OOS. Those past guys would not have succeeded. And it should put positive pressure on future local recruits to covet the limited spots available. Win/win across the board.

This. Obviously we're not gonna go Dan Mullen and claim to ignore the state....BUT, to parrot your post again, im extremely glad we have seemingly gone away from holding out until the 11th hour for specific hometown kids that are just blatantly dragging us along.
Besides, Mullens weird anyways.

Ehhh I’m a big proponent of chasing kids nationally especially my home state of Texas

but 80% of the class yearly should most definitely be from Florida/south Florida

I LOVE Florida players, but I think closer to 60% would be better for the program.

That way you get more of a mix of cultures, personalities and skill sets. Being well rounded allows you to be better prepared to avoid mismatches personnel wise and situationally.

The top teams are 50-60% local and recruit nationally for the rest. We should do the same.

Advertisement
Back