NEW NIL Guidelines

This is the same guy who said this only 5 months ago.

This mutherfvcker just signed the highest rated class in history with an unprecedented haul at DL coming off a ****** 8-4 season. Then we hear they spent around $30 million on the class before he goes out and basically admits to dropping illegal bags. He just walks by the NCAA while they...

23DCE791-55D8-4FB9-8D0E-F385AD5D8ADA.gif

Advertisement
Agreed. But what can you do then? All these coaches from smaller schools are *****ing and moaning about tampering so that goes back #1. Just not sure what the NCAA can realistically do without creating an even bigger mess.

It's not easy.

On tampering, it will ALWAYS be hard. Not to mention that most of the back-channeling is NOT tampering. If a kid wants to leave, he wants to leave. If he wants to lock in a landing spot before he announces, that is normal. How do most of us ever change jobs? We usually accept the new job before we put in notice at the old job. It is the PERCEPTION of tampering that is being overblown. If any of these dopey coaches think that their players were sitting around their dorm rooms jerking off when they got a spam autocall offering a scholarship and an NIL deal at another school...yeah, that's not what was happening.

One thing you could do to address tampering is set a waiting period after a kid enters the Portal before he can announce or sign with any team. If, say, five business days later, the kid still wants to sign with Team #1 and refuses to answer the calls of Teams #2 through 10, so be it.

As for the boosters, you can limit what they do. No NIL agreements prior to picking a school. No meetings with boosters prior to picking a school. Neither of those things prohibits ANY kid from signing MILLIONS of dollars of NIL deals, so long as it happens after a transfer destination has been chosen (or an initial destination, for HS recruits).

It is possible to walk and chew gum at the same time. You can embrace the reality that NIL will happen, while still setting time/distance/person limitations during the recruiting period.

That is all. Let the coaches recruit. And let the money roll in AFTER a school has been chosen. We've had less than a year of Wild Wild West, the kids know who is paying and how much. Not every NIL deal is signed before a kid picks a school. Look at all the deals TVD has picked up SINCE he has become a starter for Miami. It's not some big secret.

Again, this is not 100% of my own personal opinion, I'm just suggesting what the NCAA might COULD do to address these problems, or at least the perception of a problem in the "tampering" myth.

Is there a clear distinction between a booster talking to a recruit and a company talking to a recruit? I have to imagine Ruiz is a booster, but are he and other boosters allowed to communicate with potential recruits and transfers for potential marketing opportunities through their businesses?

Maybe this is why he has signed some deals with kids from other schools too

Advertisement
Ruiz is way ahead of this. He has had former NCAA compliance people reviewing everything he does. This is not a UM issue.
But honestly what does it matter if an organization with 15-20 incompetent people try to enforce a rule retroactively. They will be crushed in court and ultimately they will lose millions in legal fees alone.
Once March Madness is taken from the NCAA the organization will be bankrupt.

Advertisement
Advertisement
This to me reads like more of a tampering issue with money than anything else. It doesn’t say anything about selling their respective university by telling them hey - we have x-amount of players making x-amount of dollars on NIL deals. To me - that’s fine - leave it in the athletes hands but publish the stats. If we have a top 5 NIL university it should speak for itself.

Ruiz is way ahead of this. He has had former NCAA compliance people reviewing everything he does. This is not a UM issue.
But honestly what does it matter if an organization with 15-20 incompetent people try to enforce a rule retroactively. They will be crushed in court and ultimately they will lose millions in legal fees alone.
Once March Madness is taken from the NCAA the organization will be bankrupt.
All I am seeing rn is the NCAA preventing (or trying) boosters from trying to communicate with players.

If the guideline does not state that contacts with agents are also forbidden, the guideline is pretty much useless itself.

If the coach can mention a NIL deal without numbers to a recruit or transfer portal candidate, the guideline becomes even more useless.

In short: Its a pretty desperate attempt by the NCAA to regain some form of control that they have lost years ago. The NCAA needs to be aware that if they actually try to retroactively sanction colleges, the living crap is getting sued out of them and the fact that a politician has already expressed her dislike of the still NCAA commissioner means to me that the NCAA really does not have a shot here.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back