NEW NIL Guidelines

Advertisement
It's beyond my intelligence, but someone smart is going to have to craft something that's workable.

In theory, businesses should not be able to induce a player to come to a school, i.e., if you come here, I'll give you "x" NIL deal.

However, on the other hand, kids should be able to assess NIL opportunities before they enroll to weigh pro and con of 1 school vs. another and that's going to be difficult without some preliminary conversations.

Maybe transfers (not freshmen) should be prohibited from receiving NIL compensation for 1 year? I'm not even sure that's legal but it would mitigate against transfers going somewhere solely for financial reasons.
the NCAA CAN'T prohibit any NIL deal.. the deal is between an individual and a company.

The NCAA also can't prohibit any company from conducting legitimate business.

If a business like Lifewallet spends money on a sponsorship of an athlete at "market value" and claims this is good for their business, who is the NCAA to argue otherwise? That is a likely unachievable burden of proof on the NCAA.

All they can do is try and enforce their existing booster rules.

Nobody wanted to listen on here when I tried to tell y’all Ruiz needed to shut the **** up.
Sorry, but you are wrong here. Ruiz owns a legitimate business that has a legitimate business interest in hiring these student athletes to perform valuable marketing services. I don't think that is the type of thing the NCAA is wanting to go after. I think they are wanting to go after the collectives that are making up things in order to provide themselves cover. The fact that Ruiz is a booster isn't relevant either. The NCAA will not go after that type of situation because they will lose on the same grounds they have been losing...anti-trust.

I just dont see how you can separate NIL from recruiting...it has always been there even illegally...you can make a rule that says no NIL discussions until player is signed but that goes back to the bag schools doing bag school things

Doubt there's any proof... But the Ruiz family posting about shemar while uncommitted, posting bat signals for Addison, and telling people theyre on a recruit/transfer before they've committed may get the NCAA to ask questions. Doubt anything would ever come of it because I'm sure Ruiz is CYAing everything (as per his own words in interviews)

Absolutely correct.

I love John Ruiz, but the lines between "individual" and "business" have been blurred by a lot of social media activity. There will be questions. He probably wins in the end, but nobody really needs/enjoys the NCAA rectal exam.

Before a year ago, nobody knew anything about John Ruiz in relation to UM Athletics (though people knew him as an attorney from his ads). Now he is ubiquitous. I understand the "I'm publicizing my new company" angle, but from an Athletics standpoint, we need to go back to how things were a year ago., PR-wise

Quiet.

shhhhhhh....

Advertisement
Sorry, but you are wrong here. Ruiz owns a legitimate business that has a legitimate business interest in hiring these student athletes to perform valuable marketing services. I don't think that is the type of thing the NCAA is wanting to go after. I think they are wanting to go after the collectives that are making up things in order to provide themselves cover. The fact that Ruiz is a booster isn't relevant either. The NCAA will not go after that type of situation because they will lose on the same grounds they have been losing...anti-trust.

Wrong on so many counts.

I don’t care. It’s Miami. Everyone hates us. He knows this, we know this. If there is ever, EVER, any reason why anyone can **** us for any reason, we will be made the example. I don’t get why people don’t understand this. I know Miami isn’t the only school doing what Ruiz (and others) are doing. But when we do it, it generates the most interest. There is no reason to be so vocal on Twitter. Zero. None of what has transpired to this point has to do with a social media presence. Just do what you do, but don’t rub people’s faces in it. I can’t fully explain why, but when Miami does it, it stirs up an entirely different agenda.

I don’t care. It’s Miami. Everyone hates us. He knows this, we know this. If there is ever, EVER, any reason why anyone can **** us for any reason, we will be made the example. I don’t get why people don’t understand this. I know Miami isn’t the only school doing what Ruiz (and others) are doing. But when we do it, it generates the most interest. There is no reason to be so vocal on Twitter. Zero. None of what has transpired to this point has to do with a social media presence. Just do what you do, but don’t rub people’s faces in it. I can’t fully explain why, but when Miami does it, it stirs up an entirely different agenda.
Who chares if people hate us? And also, are you so naive that you think none of this potential enforcement threat would be happening if Ruiz had just kept his mouth shut? C'mon! I know you aren't that naive. Whether he is spouting off on Twitter or not doesn't change one dang thing. And quite frankly, I love that people hate us. It's exactly why the same people say "CFB is better when Miami is good." Miami is the villain that CFB needs!

Advertisement
Absolutely correct.

I love John Ruiz, but the lines between "individual" and "business" have been blurred by a lot of social media activity. There will be questions. He probably wins in the end, but nobody really needs/enjoys the NCAA rectal exam.

Before a year ago, nobody knew anything about John Ruiz in relation to UM Athletics (though people knew him as an attorney from his ads). Now he is ubiquitous. I understand the "I'm publicizing my new company" angle, but from an Athletics standpoint, we need to go back to how things were a year ago., PR-wise

Quiet.

shhhhhhh....
I'm just so on the fence about it. Any type of investigation can hurt momentum, even if derived from a simple tweet that was the Ruiz family just joking around.

I believe Ruiz should be able to post NIL amounts if agreed. Free publicity for both the school and his business. You don't think Nick Saban didnt think the same when he said his QB was getting over a mil?

I don't agree with posting about recruits and saying "we're on it" if it can be perceived as pay for play or tampering. Even if your agreement and documentation is iron clad. The NCAA ilare dirty ***** and will simply investigate and throw **** at the wall. They don't care about due process and facts.

Whatever happens, I think they should be sued non stop. Kavanaugh essentially said it's absurd how much money the schools and NCAA have raked in while players get nothing. Super unconstitutional and illegal. Telling them how and when and who they can get paid by is the same. There's a reason why states are at will employment, employees legally can talk about their salaries, and so on and so forth.

Who chares if people hate us? And also, are you so naive that you think none of this potential enforcement threat would be happening if Ruiz had just kept his mouth shut? C'mon! I know you aren't that naive. Whether he is spouting off on Twitter or not doesn't change one dang thing. And quite frankly, I love that people hate us. It's exactly why the same people say "CFB is better when Miami is good." Miami is the villain that CFB needs!

You don’t get it at all. It’s all good though. Hopefully nothing negative comes of all this.

Wait huh? They’re making a rule now and punishing programs who broke a rule before it was a rule? What kind of inception/looper bull**** is this?! 😂

Welcome to the NCAA. Completely on brand for those brain-dead morons. Punishing people for breaking a rule that wasn't yet a rule. Makes complete sense.

Advertisement

Please stop with this dopey nonsense.

Do I think "collectives" enforcement would be happening? Recruiting? Tampering? Yes, with many, many programs.

But if he was more quiet about things, do I think UM transfers would be part of this "witness roundup"? No. No I do not.

This isn't about "who hates us". It's about WHAT THE HATERS DO IN RESPONSE. And, yes, the NCAA and its member institutions still have some teeth in their collective mouth, contrary to popular board opinion.

Advertisement
Please stop with this dopey nonsense.

Do I think "collectives" enforcement would be happening? Recruiting? Tampering? Yes, with many, many programs.

But if he was more quiet about things, do I think UM transfers would be part of this "witness roundup"? No. No I do not.

This isn't about "who hates us". It's about WHAT THE HATERS DO IN RESPONSE. And, yes, the NCAA and its member institutions still have some teeth in their collective mouth, contrary to popular board opinion.
Nonsense. Complete and utter nonsense. All of what is happening would still be happening regardless of whether Ruiz was being vocal or not. Stop being chicken little.

youbetterlawyerupasshole-socialnetwork.gif

Apparently, Zay Flowers says he turned down two "big money" offers ($600K and $300K) to leave BC. Most are assuming one of those was from Miami interests? Don't know whether he alleges tampering or what. Anyone know more?

I don't agree with posting about recruits and saying "we're on it" if it can be perceived as pay for play or tampering. Even if your agreement and documentation is iron clad. The NCAA ilare dirty ***** and will simply investigate and throw **** at the wall. They don't care about due process and facts.

Did you listen to His interview with Rose? He basically said that He only tweets NIL announcements after the player commits, which I think have all been players from the portal. Every other NIL announcement has been about players already on the team. Apparently those announcements are within compliance. Also, the reason He didn't renegotiate with Wong for a higher NIL was because it would've been a violation, Wong ******* e d up.

Now the Addison tweet I think you're referring to IDK about, maybe Addison committed to UM?

Advertisement
Back