New excuse: cliques killed the team

This was a very divided team from the onset last year. I had a conversation with a friend of mine close to the situation who told me many of the older players carried around a very negative attitude. Perhaps after skipping bowls games they developed a don't give a **** attitude.
There was a major difference between the freshman class last year and the upperclassmen.When freshman are your leaders are you know you are going to have a lot of pull back.

I still don't get the Williams deal. When he had opportunities he did not show anything. There we're other problems with some players which are reasons they did not play as much as some would like,but there is no point in calling them out by name on a fan board . I was not there and they
don't have the opportunity to defend themselves. I do know selfish individuals can kill any organization and make for a depressing environment.

You also need to take these matters into mind when recruiting players. Film does not tell what is in someone's head. This is where a coach needs to do his homework. Five star players with one star brains don't usually work out too well.

Greatest statement ever. You must be channeling Jimmy Johnson. This sounds like it came right from him.

It is also the reason I hate all the hate on this board by the ignoramuses when it comes to recruiting and the obsession with rankings.

He did his own evaluations and he knew better than the recruiting writers what he wanted in a player.

Advertisement
So some of you are surprised by this & blaming it all on the coaches? You could see the difference after the FSU game & the attitude swing. Would it would have been different if Dobard hadn't dropped the pass & we had won the FSU game? If this is true where were Duke Johnson, Dorsett, Denzel, etc. and all those now gone for the NFL?? Did they expect Kaaya to dispel locker room issues by himself as an incoming freshman? The very best of coaches have locker room issues even when winning big; they're just magnified when things go south. BS thread; haters gonna hate.

After reading your post, I thought this might be helpful:

coach /ˈkoʊtʃ/noun : a person who teaches and trains the members of a sports team and makes decisions about how the team plays during games

Not saying they were the reason but I even noticed it I posted about it during the UVA game how the team was fake and soft .... Now let's see what these guys do this year I really think this team will be better and will win at least 9 games next year..... Canes willing

Lulz at dumb people buying into the clique excuse when it was all Folden's guys who were supposedly divided. Do you guys even bother with that pesky notion called thinking?

This was a very divided team from the onset last year. I had a conversation with a friend of mine close to the situation who told me many of the older players carried around a very negative attitude. Perhaps after skipping bowls games they developed a don't give a **** attitude.
There was a major difference between the freshman class last year and the upperclassmen.When freshman are your leaders are you know you are going to have a lot of pull back.

I still don't get the Williams deal. When he had opportunities he did not show anything. There we're other problems with some players which are reasons they did not play as much as some would like,but there is no point in calling them out by name on a fan board . I was not there and they
don't have the opportunity to defend themselves. I do know selfish individuals can kill any organization and make for a depressing environment.

You also need to take these matters into mind when recruiting players. Film does not tell what is in someone's head. This is where a coach needs to do his homework. Five star players with one star brains don't usually work out too well.

Greatest statement ever. You must be channeling Jimmy Johnson. This sounds like it came right from him.

It is also the reason I hate all the hate on this board by the ignoramuses when it comes to recruiting and the obsession with rankings.

He did his own evaluations and he knew better than the recruiting writers what he wanted in a player.

And who was JJ's recruiting coordinator? For all of the success JJ had at the U and Dallas, there is one name that's linked to both. Butch Davis. Butch gets major credit for assembling the 'Canes championship squad of '01, but doesn't get nearly enough credit for the JJ years. One could say that JJ's success was largely depended on Butch Davis' eye for talent. The fact that Butch played such an instrumental part during the JJ era and returned the Canes to glory after probation speaks volumes about his ability to find and develop talent.

If I recall correctly the Canes signed two number one rated recruits during those eras. Jesse Armstead and DJ Williams. It's interesting that both played on the defensive side of the ball. Again, what name is associated with both? Butch Davis.

Advertisement

And who was JJ's recruiting coordinator? For all of the success JJ had at the U and Dallas, there is one name that's linked to both. Butch Davis. Butch gets major credit for assembling the 'Canes championship squad of '01, but doesn't get nearly enough credit for the JJ years. One could say that JJ's success was largely depended on Butch Davis' eye for talent. The fact that Butch played such an instrumental part during the JJ era and returned the Canes to glory after probation speaks volumes about his ability to find and develop talent.

If I recall correctly the Canes signed two number one rated recruits during those eras. Jesse Armstead and DJ Williams. It's interesting that both played on the defensive side of the ball. Again, what name is associated with both? Butch Davis.

Not denying the eye of Butch but I believe Corey Johnson was Jimmy's recruiting coordinator most of his years at Miami.

Not denying the eye of Butch but I believe Corey Johnson was Jimmy's recruiting coordinator most of his years at Miami.

Thanks. For some reason I thought it was Butch.

Advertisement
Back