Confirmed New DC is Lance Guidry

Advertisement
Advertisement
Ideally you’d like to see a hire that has a little more experience. Both as a DC and recruiter on the trail.

Looking at Mashall’s F+ rankings:

In 2020, before he got there, they were 21st in defense.

Then Doc is gone, Huff takes over. Maybe it’s because it was a new defense, but Marshall slips to 46 under him. Which is probably a little further than you’d want, even if breaking in a few defense.

But in 2022, even adjusting for schedule, they rank 10th. So pretty elite once the players had a year in the defense down.

But that’s also it for a sample size.

If you consider the overall oddness of the 2020 Covid season and the fact Marshall's 2019 team had a DF+ ranking of 67th, IMO the 46 in 2021 is much more palatable. Add to that his time as DC at WKU, taking over a team ranked 120th in DF+ the year before he arrived and getting them to 78th by his second year, and the numbers and results look pretty solid.

honestly I think 95% of the board is ecstatic or optimistic on the hire.

You’ll always have the 5% that don’t watch much football outside of Miami and stick to the big names.
I get that. It's frustrating, but I get it. End of the day, only reason we know of the big names is because they've had success at big places. This giu has had success everywhere. Time to prove it on the big stage now

Advertisement
C3F29BC7-3404-4420-ADEF-6117290FE6B4.jpeg

One of my boys from FAU. Imagine having a coach players actually like 😂

Thought bubble...

Guidry is a DB coach. Does this free up Mario to drop Addae and promote DVD? DVD would be able to be a fully on-the-road recruiting savage while Guidry holds his hand with the DB's. Would obviously also mean that Guidry wouldn't have the burden of a full position coach as he'd have DVD at his side.
Or the staff could stay like it is and Guidry will just be the DC like Steele was

Advertisement
Love this hire. Didn’t think Mario had it in him to avoid name brand and make a hire based solely off of results. Please do the same on offense.

Side note.. haven’t followed it at all so idk if it’ll play out this way or who is staying/going.. but for staff makeup and continuity/familiarity sake.. Guidry’s DC at McNeese St his 1st year was Tommy Restivo who was also with Strong at UF in 2008-09 and followed him to Louisville for 4 years and met up again at South Florida. They all have similar philosophy.

Advertisement
Yeah I mentioned this as well. Priority #1 is letting Guidry choose the support staff he wants. But…it does set up nicely and you could groom DVD by having him learn under Guidry.

FYI I completely disagree about letting a coordinator have carte blanche with his staff, btw. You let him have input, and you give input, you collaborate, and of course you don't get in his way with silliness, but you absolutely under no circumstances turn over half the coaching staff decisions to an underling, ever. Especially if that underling came from Marshall and probably has a quarter of the coaching connects you do.

That's not how it works.

Love this hire. Didn’t think Mario had it in him to avoid name brand and make a hire based solely off of results. Please do the same on offense.

Side note.. haven’t followed it at all so idk if it’ll play out this way or who is staying/going.. but for staff makeup and continuity/familiarity sake.. Guidry’s DC at McNeese St his 1st year was Tommy Restivo who was also with Strong at UF in 2008-09 and followed him to Louisville for 4 years and met up again at South Florida. They all have similar philosophy.
Glad to see you back brother!! Hope all is well

Advertisement
Back