New ACC Thread (and statement on thread derailment)

OK, I'll partially buy in on MANNY doing a great job thus far, but if you are going to have 39 Power 5 teams playing ball in a few weeks, you can't necessarily assume Manny-level-focus at every program.

You may be right on how UM has handled this, and I'm not critical of UM's efforts. I'm just pointing out the general discourse in the sports world, not just on this board, about how "playing football" is safer than "not playing football", from a Covid-19 standpoint only.

I just think some people have these "all-or-nothing" arguments that don't even come close to what will happen in real life.

Yes, "playing football" might make kids more aware of being disciplined (though didn't the Seahawks just cut a DB who was a couple of months out of OK State for trying to sneak a woman into the team hotel?). On the other hand, the actual playing of football is an activity that could increase the spread of the virus (assuming someone contracts it) due to the intense and close nature of physical contact and bodily fluids.

Again, I really do want to see us play football, I'm just pointing out that the good experience (thus far) at UM under Manny may not be the same at 38 other P5 programs. And I DEFINITELY think there is a huge issue with only testing once a week.

youre seeing this now with how cuse, fsu and others are handling it and that is within the conference.

Advertisement
The Cardinals aren't. Certain facts get omitted for some reason...
also he failed to include the MARLINS had to sign new players to field a team (whether call ups, trades, or FA signings). their best pitcher (Sandy) just got a negative test and is back home with his family. just take a look at their transaction sheet before their first game back from quarantine.

if there is an outbreak like we saw with the Marlins and now STL, there is no FA to fill the roster holes which is another issue.

Marlins had, what, 17+ positive test results? Why should we believe UM would have any fewer, and likely more?

Bigger question is what will individual schools, and the Conference leadership, do as a result of the inevitable positive tests that are coming?
international highly paid pro athletes living all over the area are harder to police than college kids living in an athletic dorm.

More importantly, those infections took place when South Florida was having an explosion of positive tests/new cases. now we are at a drastically different place on the curve.

I don’t think people will care if it’s policed as long as we can get this regular board back on track.
I sympathize with you. It’s ruined thread after thread. I won’t moderate a political forum. I know other active mods who won’t either. Not sure who will or how but my guess is that they need some sort of moderation or they risk issues with advertisers.

international highly paid pro athletes living all over the area are harder to police than college kids living in an athletic dorm.

More importantly, those infections took place when South Florida was having an explosion of positive tests/new cases. now we are at a drastically different place on the curve.
so what happened with STL?

also, there is no "Athletic dorm" at UM. players live in the same dorms as students do. youll have some players live in pearson and mahoney on the same floors as normal students.

Advertisement
That’s surprising to hear that students are returning at UM. UCF has gone full online for the next semester
Are you sure about that. My old bosses wife runs the student housing right next to the arena and he told me kids started moving back in.

I’ll add that many players have unequivocally stated they feel safe on campus and safer then they would at home.

That is fine, as an opinion, though I would point out that UNTIL NOW the players have largely been on campus without any (or very few) of their fellow students.

The issue of "on-campus" vs. "at-home" is a university-wide decision, though. It impacts all students, not just football players. Thus, if it was a factual situation that students were safer "on-campus" than they are "at-home", universities would be creating MORE HARM by sending the entire student body home.

Yes, the football players can "feel" safer on-campus, but that doesn't make it true. And I realize that things have been pretty good during the summer, when the campuses had a "Home Alone" feel.

We'll see what happens when everyone comes back to campus this week, and over the next couple of weeks.

I'd like to believe in the magical healing properties associated with the "discipline" required by Division I athletics, but I've seen too much over the past 35 years that says otherwise.

There are no athletic dorms anymore. You know, for the past 25 years or so.

Advertisement
There are no athletic dorms anymore. You know, for the past 25 years or so.
he clearly went to UM tho. some people never attended the university and/or lived on campus speaking about living quarters. you were placed where you were based on your preference sheet (which really doenst matter -- FR get placed in the towers for the most part). athletes generally got put into the suites in Mahoney Pearson their first year vs the towers for reg students but reg students (generally sophomores/juniors lived in the suites)

I sympathize with you. It’s ruined thread after thread. I won’t moderate a political forum. I know other active mods who won’t either. Not sure who will or how but my guess is that they need some sort of moderation or they risk issues with advertisers.

Put me in charge...I'll delete all the racist posts, and otherwise let ****holes be ****holes.

also he failed to include the MARLINS had to sign new players to field a team (whether call ups, trades, or FA signings). their best pitcher (Sandy) just got a negative test and is back home with his family. just take a look at their transaction sheet before their first game back from quarantine.

if there is an outbreak like we saw with the Marlins and now STL, there is no FA to fill the roster holes which is another issue.
So what they're still playing. Dance all you want baseball is moving along. So I one up you with the Phillies playing. Setbacks things you overcome and keep moving forward. See you at the World Series...

Advertisement
What's it pay? I'd be a benevolent dictator. Nothing racist or personal attacks allowed.

Wrong again.....

Advertisement
he clearly went to UM tho. some people never attended the university and/or lived on campus speaking about living quarters. you were placed where you were based on your preference sheet (which really doenst matter -- FR get placed in the towers for the most part). athletes generally got put into the suites in Mahoney Pearson their first year vs the towers for reg students but reg students (generally sophomores/juniors lived in the suites)

Clearly.

The one advantage that football/basketball players used to get back in the day...longer beds. No joke.

Although the beds in the Apartment area SUCKED. Not even real mattresses. They were pieces of foam inside of a crappy nylon cover. And the "box spring" was just some additional foam and nylon tacked onto a 2x4 frame with four wooden footers.

What's it pay? I'd be a benevolent dictator. Nothing racist or personal attacks allowed.
We volunteer. I would be happy to ask for mod rights for you and TOC, if they are considering a political board. I’m not certain why we need one on a Canes Board if we’re playing this season.

Advertisement
Back