New ACC Thread (and statement on thread derailment)

Advertisement
That's not going to be determined within the time frame required to make a play/don't play decision. If anything, a school like UM, that's been on top of this, would have a more valid concern about the protocols others are using than SU.

Since Frenk's been involved in the discussions on a conference level, if other school's are concerned, I would think they'd have an open dialog about what precautions are needed. It's in our interest to ensure we can go forward safely.
Doesn't hurt to take advice from Dr. Frenk if he's at the forefront of the situation. The guy might not know athletics but definitely has an idea about medicine.

Advertisement
Just let 'em go at it on one board no holds barred. anyone that posts politics in any other board gets an automatic 1 week suspension. 2nd offence, 2 weeks. 3 strikes, you're out.
main-qimg-2c97bb48234d073a26dcce2bef178a8f

I think where your idea falls apart a bit is thinking college kids will be at home if they're not playing football. I think they'll be out and about like college kids typically are, and they won't have their teammates or the peer pressure of ruining a season by spreading the bug to teammates.

Manny has done a great job of keeping the kids focused because they have a goal of playing football. He's seemingly managed to convince them, while striving toward that goal, to stay out of potentially COVID-risky situations. I don't see that happening if the season is canceled. And I don't trust kids to act responsibly without any team or peer or football pressure to keep them in line.

There were some positive cases when the kids came back to the team from their free time, and there haven't been any cases in the last 3 rounds of tests according to Frenk. So that supports the idea that the team environment is safer from the standpoint of avoiding the bug.
I’ll add that many players have unequivocally stated they feel safe on campus and safer then they would at home.

I was going to start a thread with this info but I think it's pertinent here.

Mark Packer blasted Emmert this morning about the statements he made yesterday concerning the cancellation of championships of 21 fall sports and some of the other statements Emmert made. I'm paraphrasing here but basically Packer said Emmert wasn't telling us anything we already didn't know, cancelling the championships of the 21 sports was running scared, and his medical "expert" Brian Hainline was way out of touch with what was going on.

They showed a clip of Emmert in his home that had a bookcase behind him. On it was a Washington helmet. Packer said I can't believe he's got that Washington helmet on that shelf. Everyone knows he should have and LSU helmet displayed. I about fell out of my recliner!

Advertisement
i have sneaking suspicion that only a handful of acc schools will be ready to play. the product on the field will show. i bet we are going to crush most teams like 40+ on allot of them

I was going to start a thread with this info but I think it's pertinent here.

Mark Packer blasted Emmert this morning about the statements he made yesterday concerning the cancellation of championships of 21 fall sports and some of the other statements Emmert made. I'm paraphrasing here but basically Packer said Emmert wasn't telling us anything we already didn't know, cancelling the championships of the 21 sports was running scared, and his medical "expert" Brian Hainline was way out of touch with what was going on.

They showed a clip of Emmert in his home that had a bookcase behind him. On it was a Washington helmet. Packer said I can't believe he's got that Washington helmet on that shelf. Everyone knows he should have and LSU helmet displayed. I about fell out of my recliner!
He is also an alum of Washington and was President of the University of Washington immediately preceding his appointment to head the NCAA.

I’ll add that many players have unequivocally stated they feel safe on campus and safer then they would at home.
If they can decide if they want to join the armed forces, then they can decide if they want to play football. Everyone participating is an adult and is doing so of their own free will, so I don't see why there needs to be any talk of shutting it down.

It's like a biker rally in South Dakota. They're adults. If they want to go drink and carry on with each other then go ahead. No one is forcing anyone to attend that rally, and no one is forcing anyone to play or coach college football.

Tweet is a bit vague. If Cuse can’t field a team, let’s get OSU or Nebraska or some other school that wants to play. I get the conference and TV deal restrictions. If I had to pick schools to drop out, Cuse would be on my short list anyway.

Advertisement
Tweet is a bit vague. If Cuse can’t field a team, let’s get OSU or Nebraska or some other school that wants to play. I get the conference and TV deal restrictions. If I had to pick schools to drop out, Cuse would be on my short list anyway.
Being prepared and tackling the Covid issue is part of the competition factor this season. If you don't prepare your team you forfeit your ability to compete.

I don’t think people will care if it’s policed as long as we can get this regular board back on track.
The problem is people hold grudges. They'll carry it over to every other board just to lash out at someone they're ****ed at.

Advertisement
Football activities take up an enormous number of hours per week of these kids' time. Take away all those hours and what are the kids going to do to fill the time? Probably activities that put them at greater risk of getting the virus.

Oh, let me clutch my pearls! Student-athletes would have to figure out what to do with their free time like every other college student does?

Hey, let's put 8,000 students on the football team, just to prevent coronavirus spread.

Lord, please save me from having to read the brain-dead musings from Canes1968.

I think where your idea falls apart a bit is thinking college kids will be at home if they're not playing football. I think they'll be out and about like college kids typically are, and they won't have their teammates or the peer pressure of ruining a season by spreading the bug to teammates.

Manny has done a great job of keeping the kids focused because they have a goal of playing football. He's seemingly managed to convince them, while striving toward that goal, to stay out of potentially COVID-risky situations. I don't see that happening if the season is canceled. And I don't trust kids to act responsibly without any team or peer or football pressure to keep them in line.

There were some positive cases when the kids came back to the team from their free time, and there haven't been any cases in the last 3 rounds of tests according to Frenk. So that supports the idea that the team environment is safer from the standpoint of avoiding the bug.

OK, I'll partially buy in on MANNY doing a great job thus far, but if you are going to have 39 Power 5 teams playing ball in a few weeks, you can't necessarily assume Manny-level-focus at every program.

You may be right on how UM has handled this, and I'm not critical of UM's efforts. I'm just pointing out the general discourse in the sports world, not just on this board, about how "playing football" is safer than "not playing football", from a Covid-19 standpoint only.

I just think some people have these "all-or-nothing" arguments that don't even come close to what will happen in real life.

Yes, "playing football" might make kids more aware of being disciplined (though didn't the Seahawks just cut a DB who was a couple of months out of OK State for trying to sneak a woman into the team hotel?). On the other hand, the actual playing of football is an activity that could increase the spread of the virus (assuming someone contracts it) due to the intense and close nature of physical contact and bodily fluids.

Again, I really do want to see us play football, I'm just pointing out that the good experience (thus far) at UM under Manny may not be the same at 38 other P5 programs. And I DEFINITELY think there is a huge issue with only testing once a week.

Advertisement
Back