New ACC Thread (and statement on thread derailment)

IndayArtHauz

Knoxville Baby Maker
Administrator
NOTE: I’m uncertain what to do about the absurd amount of political posts that overwhelm nearly every single thread. To those of you who are just trying to get the info, I apologize. Its fair to say that not enough is being done.

To those of you who keep derailing the threads, I would ask you to please stop. The back and forth is literally making these threads unreadable. Consider if what you are posting is 1) relevant to the topic of the thread or 2) moves the conversation away from that topic. Those are the criteria by which I evaluate posts.

If they fail to meet those standards I’ll delete them and all replies. I deleted 40 posts from a thread last night, but I won’t do that again, I’ll just boot you from the thread.

Do not reply to the thread derailment portion of this thread. I dont really care what you think, I care what you do.

Starting the ACC topic off with this very relevant post.

Advertisement
I will stop reacting to the constant right wing jabs and thread takeovers. I will ignore them moving forward and hope others will too. I hate seeing that ****, so I regret adding to it.

As for SU players, I don't blame them for being concerned if cesspools like FSU and Vag Tech are so lax in their testing and sharing of results even within their own teams. But I'll stick with my theory that the players are safer in the team environment than out on their own.

Advertisement
Yeah lets please keep this non political. Want a place to go to see updates on all the possible speed bumps that could derail the season. Another whole year without CBF would be awful. I assume that our next big speed bump is when more students return to campus in the next week or so?

Students are already returning to campus, at least at Miami.

For six months, I have supported doing whatever it takes to get widespread, affordable, frequent, and rapid-result testing, as well as facemask-wearing. Neither of those two ideas is partisan or political in any way.

I hope that life gets back to normal as quickly as possible, including college sports. I do fear the realities of what will happen with college football not being played in a bubble like other pro sports leagues have done, but I hope for the best.

And I'm not going to question any decisions by athletes (or their hearts, guts, courage, loyalty, etc.) because they have valid concerns about the future impact of Covid-19, even if someone does not die from the disease.

For six months, I have supported doing whatever it takes to get widespread, affordable, frequent, and rapid-result testing, as well as facemask-wearing. Neither of those two ideas is partisan or political in any way.

I hope that life gets back to normal as quickly as possible, including college sports. I do fear the realities of what will happen with college football not being played in a bubble like other pro sports leagues have done, but I hope for the best.

And I'm not going to question any decisions by athletes (or their hearts, guts, courage, loyalty, etc.) because they have valid concerns about the future impact of Covid-19, even if someone does not die from the disease.
That’s surprising to hear that students are returning at UM. UCF has gone full online for the next semester

Advertisement
I will stop reacting to the constant right wing jabs and thread takeovers. I will ignore them moving forward and hope others will too. I hate seeing that ****, so I regret adding to it.

As for SU players, I don't blame them for being concerned if cesspools like FSU and Vag Tech are so lax in their testing and sharing of results even within their own teams. But I'll stick with my theory that the players are safer in the team environment than out on their own.
Nothing about what the SU players are doing makes any sense at all. If they are concerned about the protocols in place at SU, I could understand sitting out, but sitting out right now from team practices because they are concerned about protocols in place at other schools makes ZERO sense. Something doesn't add up at all. If they are concerned about what is happening at other schools, they should continue to practice AND make it clear that they won't play in any games until the issues at other schools are addressed. They are only hurting themselves right now. Real dumb.

Nothing about what the SU players are doing makes any sense at all. If they are concerned about the protocols in place at SU, I could understand sitting out, but sitting out right now from team practices because they are concerned about protocols in place at other schools makes ZERO sense. Something doesn't add up at all. If they are concerned about what is happening at other schools, they should continue to practice AND make it clear that they won't play in any games until the issues at other schools are addressed. They are only hurting themselves right now. Real dumb.
They're probably sitting out because they don't really love football and don't want to practice because they think the ACC will cancel. Kids aren't always so well thought out.

the real question is does the virus cause harm to otherwise healthy 18-22 year olds at a statistically significant rate? the big 10 and the pac 12 are floating some anecdotal evidence of an enlarged heart condition. is that a legitimate risk? seems to me that it is not a statistically significant risk.

if some are uncomfortable with the level of risk they can opt out. others should be allowed to play in my opinion.

Advertisement
If uou bail out on the season you cant get embarrassed on the field...

Marlins had, what, 17+ positive test results? Why should we believe UM would have any fewer, and likely more?

Bigger question is what will individual schools, and the Conference leadership, do as a result of the inevitable positive tests that are coming?

Advertisement
the real question is does the virus cause harm to otherwise healthy 18-22 year olds at a statistically significant rate? the big 10 and the pac 12 are floating some anecdotal evidence of an enlarged heart condition. is that a legitimate risk? if some are uncomfortable with the level of risk they can opt out. others should be allowed to play in my opinion.
They've been looking out for the kid's heart conditions for several years now
Not a new thing after some kids suffered heart issues years before covid..

That didn't take long. Made it Post 6.

As for Jimmy Lake, I'd like to see him explain how he's going to keep his players from getting COVID while they're away from the team. What's his grand plan? No football means no COVID?

I'm going to ask a simple question, it's not a criticism of you.

Why is this frequently analyzed as "away from the team"? And why isn't there any sort of concern for the rest of the student body?

Let me rephrase. Some schools will have in-person, some will be remote, some are apparently doing a hybrid of both. I'm not sure why, when the discussion of football players comes up, it is characterized as some sort of a choice between (a) football players being kept in a clean room at Johns Hopkins simply because they play a sport, or (b) football players being forced to return to filthy hovels where they have to breath recycled air from an unsanitized oxygen tank.

After all, haven't most football players...been AT HOME...for a good chunk of the past six months NOT contracting Covid-19 (along with all the K-12 kids as well)?

I get the concept that the football players may have better access to medical care while they are on campus, and I can respect that. At the same time, that very idea can be undermined by poor execution (and I'm definitely looking at F$U on this one).

Anyhow, that's just my thought process on the whole "we're better off playing football, from a Covid-19 standpoint" argument that is being made. Maybe it will prove to be true, maybe it will prove to be false, but I don't understand why some people seem to think that 85 kids per university are FAR BETTER OFF playing football rather than just attending classes however classes are offered.

If you pay the tuition and fees...you still have healthcare coverage. You still live wherever you were going to live (on-campus, off-campus, at-home). The football players are still getting their tuition/financial aid packages.

I'm sure someone's going to turn this into politics, so "it is what it is".

Advertisement
Back