New ACC Thread (and statement on thread derailment)

We volunteer. I would be happy to ask for mod rights for you and TOC, if they are considering a political board. I’m not certain why we need one on a Canes Board if we’re playing this season.

Election Day is in 81 days. If you think political discussions will go away simply because football is being played...

JD08 can be the FoxNews mod, I can be the CNN mod. Now we just need Gwen Ifill or someone similar as the third moderator for the debate.

Advertisement
In a non-bubble environment, it's a **** of a lot more difficult to control a professional athlete than it is a college athlete. Comparing what happened with the Marlins to CFB is a false analogy.

Gotta disagree; it’s much more difficult controlling a testosterone filled young person who still want to hang out, that also have been convinced they are invincible towards the virus, than an pro athlete. 30 Rutgers players just tested positive all w/in 3 weeks.

Election Day is in 81 days. If you think political discussions will go away simply because football is being played...

JD08 can be the FoxNews mod, I can be the CNN mod. Now we just need Gwen Ifill or someone similar as the third moderator for the debate.
I'm afraid I'm going to hold out for a better offer. Maybe Cat Fancy needs an editor.

Gotta disagree; it’s much more difficult controlling a testosterone filled young person who still want to hang out, that also have been convinced they are invincible towards the virus, than an pro athlete. 30 Rutgers players just tested positive all w/in 3 weeks.
Also people will hang out w each other along w contact in class rooms (not auditorium ones but the normal ones which miami still has for many classes (Dooley building). It’s gonna be a challenge hence why ou ad said we’ll see where it goes but we’re not saying this is a final decision And same w frenk .

I'm afraid I'm going to hold out for a better offer. Maybe Cat Fancy needs an editor.
It's true, over the past few years, they've received a lot of letters to the editor that involve cat-grabbing. Whoops, political comment...

Advertisement
Also people will hang out w each other along w contact in class rooms (not auditorium ones but the normal ones which miami still has for many classes (Dooley building). It’s gonna be a challenge hence why ou ad said we’ll see where it goes but we’re not saying this is a final decision And same w frenk .

As a non-political aside (though I guess it is related to the trends of the day), are we going to be renaming all the streets and buildings named after the Merricks?

I don't have a problem with it, but it's going to cost some cash. Maybe we can sell the naming rights.

Advertisement
Clearly.

The one advantage that football/basketball players used to get back in the day...longer beds. No joke.

Although the beds in the Apartment area SUCKED. Not even real mattresses. They were pieces of foam inside of a crappy nylon cover. And the "box spring" was just some additional foam and nylon tacked onto a 2x4 frame with four wooden footers.
I went to the law school and I'd walk past the practice field which near the law school parking lot. That's about all I know about athletic dorms ...

Id drive all the way over from the Grove everyday

As a non-political aside (though I guess it is related to the trends of the day), are we going to be renaming all the streets and buildings named after the Merricks?

I don't have a problem with it, but it's going to cost some cash. Maybe we can sell the naming rights.

i saw frenk said he was renaming the merrick building. ill honestly say idk whats the deal w the family, but you can pm me the details if youre free (if not i have a google lol) since id rather keep it off the board

Sometimes folks forget these kids are human beings and young as **** to top it off.

Advertisement
I went to the law school and I'd walk past the practice field which near the law school parking lot. That's about all I know about athletic dorms ...

Id drive all the way over from the Grove everyday
by the IM fields, they built the UV (2006 was the first year they were into existence i believe maybe 05) but those were available to only juniors and seniors (close to the frat houses). thats about it on that end. they got rid of the apartments on campus. they have towers, eaton, the new dorm jsut opened, mahoney pearson

also, there are students who live off campus (ludlam pointe, valencia, U Inn Condos, etc)

Sometimes folks forget these kids are human beings and young as **** to top it off.
even if they werent young as ****, even old people arent following the guidelines bc they dont believe in it or dont care. the partying is stupid but people will party esp in college (**** house parties were becoming an issue)

Advertisement

Exactly. I overheard a young person a couple of weeks ago tell his sister “I don’t need a mask, I’m young and immune.” Just saw a Covid party kick off with all these young ppl come dress all the way up, renting fancy cars, and towards the end of the party they were chanting “Fck Covid.”

OK, I'll partially buy in on MANNY doing a great job thus far, but if you are going to have 39 Power 5 teams playing ball in a few weeks, you can't necessarily assume Manny-level-focus at every program.

You may be right on how UM has handled this, and I'm not critical of UM's efforts. I'm just pointing out the general discourse in the sports world, not just on this board, about how "playing football" is safer than "not playing football", from a Covid-19 standpoint only.

I just think some people have these "all-or-nothing" arguments that don't even come close to what will happen in real life.

Yes, "playing football" might make kids more aware of being disciplined (though didn't the Seahawks just cut a DB who was a couple of months out of OK State for trying to sneak a woman into the team hotel?). On the other hand, the actual playing of football is an activity that could increase the spread of the virus (assuming someone contracts it) due to the intense and close nature of physical contact and bodily fluids.

Again, I really do want to see us play football, I'm just pointing out that the good experience (thus far) at UM under Manny may not be the same at 38 other P5 programs. And I DEFINITELY think there is a huge issue with only testing once a week.
Testing once a week, while not ideal, will be better than the zero tests per week the players will have if football gets canceled.

I think we're seeing this through different lenses, which happens. I'm thinking more along the lines that college kids, with no football, will not be sitting at home quarantining. I see them out and about with virtually no regard for avoiding COVID, as they pretty much feel invincible at that age. He will no longer have the responsibility of not being the guy who shuts his team down with COVID. Instead, he'll just be a guy who, if he catches it, will just chill for a few days until the symptoms subside. He'll also have a lot more free time on his hands and no more structure in his life.

Advertisement
Back