New 2014 DT Signee; Joe Brown

I highly doubt they offered this kid because they think he's a total sh*tbag loser that is never going to amount to anything.

They obviously saw something in the kid they think can be special. He is a huge kid, who doesnt have very good strength or speed numbers. What that tells me is that he's raw as ****, and hasnt really had much sophisticated strength or speed training. That is PRECISELY the kind of guy you look for when looking for "sleepers". The kids that have NOT really fully developed yet.

No one is claiming this kid was some great steal or a cant miss recruit. But I dont think we need to officially declare this kid is a loser and will never amount to anything yet. The staff feels they can make him into something, and I guess we will see. Its fair to say that you dont have much faith in the staff and their ability with kids like this, but we dont need to trash the kid and proclaim that he's never going to amount to anything. Fact is we dont know. They saw something they liked, I mean they could have offered any number of other guys if it was just about grabbing anyone for "depth". They didnt. Yet they saw this kid's video and decided they would spend a ship on him. All we can do is hope for the best, and wait and see.

And I'm sure this staff felt the same way with Ivery, King, Alexis, etc.

Advertisement
Good call moving this kid to the OL, cause he looks like a blind dog at a meat market on defense.

:nelsonhaha:

Over or under 15 pages on a kid we wont remember in a month?

Over. And he may be brought in as an OG.

From the CS article: "Brown says he prefers to play defense but is fine playing offensive line, which is where UM plans to use him. He says he expects to start out as an offensive guard."

I saw last night and personally at that size you take that flyer
Yup I agree. Welcome to the U

Brown has Russell Maryland written all over him. Russell was 350-380 pounds as a freshman at UM who's only other college offer was to Indiana State University. Russell ended up playing on a couple NC teams, All-American, Outland trophy winner and #1 pick in the 1991 NFL draft. If Brown wants it bad enough, he can be as good as he wants. You can't teach size.

Brown has Russell Maryland written all over him. Russell was 350-380 pounds as a freshman at UM who's only other college offer was to Indiana State University. Russell ended up playing on a couple NC teams, All-American, Outland trophy winner and #1 pick in the 1991 NFL draft. If Brown wants it bad enough, he can be as good as he wants. You can't teach size.

lol..

say the truth…you hittin that rock?

Advertisement
Why is this guy Russell Maryland instead of Darius Smith or Jacoby Briscoe?

I mean, which is more likely judging from Al Golden's history of developing his 'sleepers?'

He's Russell Maryland, not any one of the hundreds of lowly ranked DL to come through here and amount to shlt.

Why is this guy Russell Maryland instead of Darius Smith or Jacoby Briscoe?

I mean, which is more likely judging from Al Golden's history of developing his 'sleepers?'

Briscoe is a bad example...kid had a bunch of offers from big programs. The Russell Maryland example is moot now, since this kid is going to play OG. Perhaps Haji-Rassouli or Mercier might be a better comparison at this point.

What's the hit rate on kids like this for any coach? Doesn't have anything to do with AG's history, because most of these kinds of kids don't pan out for anyone. The kid has size, and they seem to think they can develop him. Maybe they can, maybe they can't. I guess we'll see.

Advertisement
The key to recruiting is to sign guys after NLOI Day. Clearly, every late signee becomes Ray Lewis or Edgerrin James. This is all starting to make sense.

Can't help but notice in this guy's highlight tape that he plays a LOT like our DL does.

Did anyone else see that?

Kind of stand up once the ball is snapped, engage and try and make a play horizontally?

Seems like a sign and pray the kid hits the gym and juice and learns something. 2 years from now who knows?

I think we are fine even with reductions. Look at our roster. We are still light.

too bad that won't be the case this time...Russell NEVER played offense homie.

Advertisement
He's Russell Maryland, not any one of the hundreds of lowly ranked DL to come through here and amount to shlt.

That being the case, but we've had more than our fair share of HIGHLY ranked DL to come through here and amount to ****, also. So your point is......:noidea:?
Just give the young man a chance and see how he pans out. Besides, he's playing OL.

I don't know if he's Russell Maryland or Jeffrey Brown, I would say, let's give the guy a chance. Let him lift weights, get strong, learn our system and see what happens in a few years. If the 4 dts we brought in work out like they are supposed to and the olinemen work out we will not need him for a few years. If at that time, he becomes Holliett, we should have a chad Thomas type by then. We probably needed someone for the scout team with Reilly and/or Valentine backing out.

Remember, this guy will probably never play here. Meanwhile, there is no punter. Huge mistake by the staff.

Advertisement
If we had better DC, then I'd say they could develop him, I hold hope we after so many attempts get a surprise stud. We certainly deserve one after all the Jerry kids we'd given a chance to. Imagine if we had been able to sign Bostwick, Keif and Valentine. My fantasies are Defensive. We gotta have success signing a couple more DL in 2015 class to compete at a top 10 level.

Remember, this guy will probably never play here. Meanwhile, there is no punter. Huge mistake by the staff.

Since you are obviously so much smarter than others, why dont you write the staff and educate them?

Advertisement
Back