New 2014 DT Signee; Joe Brown

Advertisement
Do I have to be a computer expert to know that a certain computer is a piece of crap? Do I need to be a doctor to know that a certain doctor sucks at practicing medicine?

It seems all the other "experts" in the computer/medical field think very highly of him.. I'll take their word over yours.

Evidenced by his zero star rating. Gotcha.

Lemme see....zero star ratings: Gino Torretta, Jimmie Jones, Larry Jones, Russ Maryland, probably Jeremy Shockey (never saw him anywhere), maybe Tez Kennedy (never saw him anywhere on HS lists back then), Scott Provin (solid OL starter on some of our best teams in the '80's, since he never played HS ball), probably Leon Searcy (again, never saw him on any lists).....

I knew we were gonna pickup some bum at DT nobody wanted post NSD. This is an annual Golden tradition....when will he ever learn?

Agree 100%. Wish we had never wasted a ship on Ray Lewis too.

Yeah, hate those late signees....Ray Lewis, Jimmie Jones, Larry Jones...I think Edge might even have been a late signee.

Yeah, don't forget this guy (he was offered the last scholarship only after a couple of guys couldn't qualify):
389.jpg

He grew up in Chicago and attended Whitney M. Young High, where he played offense and defense for the Dolphins. Maryland was offered a scholarship to Indiana State but said his father made him turn it down.

"I was a guy who was pretty much left unrecruited because I was just one of thousands of Chicago kids who played football," Maryland said.

His father was unhappy with Maryland's bid to Indiana State, so he compiled a video and mailed it to Miami. "One thing led to another and they offered me the last scholarship in 1986. That's where my dad wanted me to go, so that's where I went."

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/spor...ollege-Football-Hall-of-Fame-Miami/56348948/1

Wonder what some of you guys would have said when we signed the 6'1, 330 lb DT with one offer from Indiana State? Here is what Art Kehoe had to say:

"Miami offensive line coach Art Kehoe remembers peering out of the window in the weight room and seeing Russell Maryland running.

The freshman defensive tackle had a trash bag wrapped around his midsection — "It almost looked like a tarp," Kehoe said — and sweat was dripping from his beefy 350-pound frame like a faucet that hadn't been shut off.

"I looked at him and I said, 'Wow, we signed that?!' We're going to have to wait a little bit for this to show up," Kehoe recalled last week. "The next thing, he was like 320, then 295, and then he was just whipping our [offensive linemen's] butts [in practice]."

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/20...-of-fame-induction-russell-maryland-art-kehoe

Last edited:
So we're gonna compare all time greats to some random recruit just to make Golden look good? Lulz at the excuses

Advertisement
Love some of the success stories like Maryland. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen on every team, every year. Hopefully this guy can break the mold and repeat history but he's going to have put in some serious work.

Best of luck to him

I knew we were gonna pickup some bum at DT nobody wanted post NSD. This is an annual Golden tradition....when will he ever learn?

Agree 100%. Wish we had never wasted a ship on Ray Lewis too.

Yeah, hate those late signees....Ray Lewis, Jimmie Jones, Larry Jones...I think Edge might even have been a late signee.

I've been a fan since the early '80s also. There's a common thread with each of those guys; they were in a completely different pre-Internet recruiting era. Does it mean that there are no under the radar studs anymore? no, but the odds are exceedingly slim.

Many people brought up the diamonds in the rough argument in the hopes that Stegall, Demtri Stewart, Kevin Nelson, Adderly, Cain, the RB that transferred last year, Corey King, Perry and many others would turn into studs. Unfortunately, the statistical odds against their success proved prescient.

Advertisement
So we're gonna compare all time greats to some random recruit just to make Golden look good? Lulz at the excuses

Yup.

It's sad that this is what it has come to. Picking up a flyer on someone nobody as ever heard of at a position where we are so incredibly thin and lacking any sort of play-making ability.

Meanwhile, a 4-8 UF team that we defeated at home and lost to a FCS school on its own turf lands arguably 3 of the top 15 DT's in the country.

If Golden would have just done his job and not botched the recruitment over this position over the years, we wouldn't have to bring in reaches like this and see the remaining apologists make the desperate claim that this guy might somehow be the next Russell Maryland.

The evolved posters to the rescue! There is no question that Joe Brown is our next consensus All American and Outland Trophy winner.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Gonna play Offensive Line per him.

Too funny - 17 pages of people mostly railing on the staff/kid about him being a bad choice as a DT, and he is coming to play OL.

That said, while we had success with some late signees over the years, the names thrown around mostly are from more than a decade ago. With the online media attention to recruiting exploding the past 10 plus years, it is harder and harder to find a "diamond in the rough". Golden said he planned to add a late OL, and that is exactly what he has done.

Is Joe Brown a better OL prospect than any of these kids the staff passed on:

A'lique Terry
Hialeah
8A All-State 3rd team

Ryan Crozier
STA
7A All-State 2nd team

Raul Diaz
Central
6A All-State 1st team

Michael Smith
Central