New 2014 DT Signee; Joe Brown

Advertisement
Brown has Russell Maryland written all over him. Russell was 350-380 pounds as a freshman at UM who's only other college offer was to Indiana State University. Russell ended up playing on a couple NC teams, All-American, Outland trophy winner and #1 pick in the 1991 NFL draft. If Brown wants it bad enough, he can be as good as he wants. You can't teach size.

Was Russell really that big as a freshman? I knew he was a fat kid when he came in, and had to lose weight, but I had no idea he was that heavy. When I met him as a junior or senior he didn't really look all that big. A friend who worked in the athletic department said Russ was very disciplined throughout college in watching what he ate. Amazing transformation in college. Tez had to lose weight, too. He was a backup his junior year (1988) his first year from Juco. I used to hear the coaches would tell him he would be an All American if he lost weight. He did.

Brown has Russell Maryland written all over him. Russell was 350-380 pounds as a freshman at UM who's only other college offer was to Indiana State University. Russell ended up playing on a couple NC teams, All-American, Outland trophy winner and #1 pick in the 1991 NFL draft. If Brown wants it bad enough, he can be as good as he wants. You can't teach size.

Was Russell really that big as a freshman? I knew he was a fat kid when he came in, and had to lose weight, but I had no idea he was that heavy. When I met him as a junior or senior he didn't really look all that big. A friend who worked in the athletic department said Russ was very disciplined throughout college in watching what he ate. Amazing transformation in college. Tez had to lose weight, too. He was a backup his junior year (1988) his first year from Juco. I used to hear the coaches would tell him he would be an All American if he lost weight. He did.

Sonny Lubick was our DC and Ed Orgeron was the DL coach......... We have Doritos and Uncle Jethro, who are no where as capable as coaching up players as those who coached Russell

Is Joe Brown a better OL prospect than any of these kids the staff passed on:

A'lique Terry
Hialeah
8A All-State 3rd team

Ryan Crozier
STA
7A All-State 2nd team

Raul Diaz
Central
6A All-State 1st team

Michael Smith
Central
6A All-State 2nd team

Freddie Booth-Lloyd
Cocoa
4A All-State 1st team

Jordan Ingraham
BTW
4A All-State 1st Team

We will see in due time...

Crozier put on Rimington Award Watch list and Terry started at Wake last year

Even though OL depth isn't one thing we are hurting for right now...I will say that Terry should have been here. I am sure looking back Golden and Kehoe will admit they missed on that one.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Never understood why we didn't take crozier. Kid is a beast

The issue is whether or not Ryan Crozier playing Guard at UCONN is playing against any type of quality dline competition in AAC.

Go Canes

What the **** does that mean?

Are you saying that the kid can't play because he plays in the AAC?!?

He's on the Remmington Award watch list kid.

The point of the thread is to compare the DONKEYS Golden took VS the ones he skipped.

Come on Danny, get with it.

I like this kid as a project. He has some definite potential. You ****ing gloomers need to settle down til he gets at least 2 years in the program to start bashing him. He's a late addition not an early reach. Huge difference.

Interesting point of view from myself...

Advertisement
Shocking turn of events: fat, unathletic blob accomplishes nothing at major program, transfers.

Who saw this career coming for a recruit nobody wanted and whose highlight tape looked like a tranquilized black bear trapped on an ice rink?

I can't believe he couldn't cut it here.

I was told, in this thread, that he was going to contribute here. I even had a fake *** practice report that told me that he was well on his way to perhaps earning some "much deserved" playing time.

I'd bet all of the hair on gooch and *** that the new OL coach saw 5 plays and wrote this **** buckets name at the top of the "no thanks" list.

Advertisement
Brown has Russell Maryland written all over him. Russell was 350-380 pounds as a freshman at UM who's only other college offer was to Indiana State University. Russell ended up playing on a couple NC teams, All-American, Outland trophy winner and #1 pick in the 1991 NFL draft. If Brown wants it bad enough, he can be as good as he wants. You can't teach size..

i dont think most of the people have any idea what to look for in a nose tackle

1 year of RS and he'll be good..like the pick up shows some quickness off the line and navigates through the trash well (good use of hands)

YA N.I.G.G.A.S TRIPPIN
KID IS A BEAST

You know how people ***** and moan that we can't pick up JUCO DTs every year? What do you think those JUCO DTs looked like coming out of high school? What schools were recruiting them?

The answer, most of the time, is most schools didn't recruit them because of their grades and because their bodies needed a lot of work.

I like this kid and I hope he plays right away he has talent... very aggressive and strong... he does need to work on his technique a bit though... but I really like his film he will be a stud for us... welcome to the fam!

Also consider this kid probably has never worked out seriously in a S&C program, based on his previous lack of discipline in the class room. But he has found the focus based on He essentially made up 2 yrs worth of work in 1 year to just become illegible, also consider that at this late date you know AG and staff had admissions go over his kids transcripts with a comb.

This is the type of developmental player Butch Davis always talked about that was athletic but had never been in a weight training program. If Brown can continue to build on the focus that motivated him to conquer hs academic hurdle, then with a red-shirt year this kid will be a 340lbs solid contributor in 2015 and a force in 2016.

Go Canes

You really don't think the coaches don't have this scholly thing figured out?

JC

Exactly

Woah, woah, woah let's simmer down now. People are acting like Moten is some scrub or some ****. Kid is an elite DT.

I honestly think we aren't capable of landing an elite DT. All the Elite DT's get scooped up by programs that actually win. We get the leftovers.

So Moten is a leftover?

I just find it very odd that no other schools came after him. Miami was his only official visit. But maybe its an STA thing.

According to the LA Times his coach sent out his highlights and transcripts once he got his qualifying SAT score and Miami called immediately to bring him down for a visit.
We offered and he committed on the spot, so saying he didn't have other offers is a bit disengenuous. Nobody else had a chance to offer him.

You guys do see that this is a 6'4" 330lb DT who is not a fattie.
Kid looks to be just a giant of a boy with real long arms so that may explain his bench.
This is going to be a kid who's going to be called a JAG for the next 3 years, then when he's become 350lbs of muscle will blow up as a redshirt junior.
The progression that has traditionally been the norm for DT's before this recent obsession with instant impact, which never happens for DT's.

In a year of scholarship reductions we jumped all over this kid from 3000 Miles away for a reason.

I think it might have something to do with something Golden said a year or so ago.

He said the toughest thing about recruiting is evaluating for 3 years down the road. You want players who are nowhere near their peak instead of players who've reached their ceiling as a senior in high school, ala Jeff Luc.

Watched the highlights and saw a very different player from the complainers. Handled double teams very well and slipped them go get into pursuit. Stood up blockers and able to work his way through trash to get to the ball-carrier. Needs to get into program to work on quickness. Might have potential to be very solid college player.

I love his film.

JAG special, the more I look at his highlights, I'm not sure if he's worthy of a preferred walk-on spot here, WTF is the staff doing?

I'm sure the professional staff knows a **** of a lot more than some nobody sitting on his couch and surfing the web. Brown may not be a star, but he has the potential to add quality depth at a position of need. Someone to plug into the rotation who will likely be better than King or Moore.

this thread is all that is wrong with message boards in a nutshell. a bunch of lawyers, accountants, salesman, construction workers and students acting like football coaches.

i have no idea what most of you do for a living but it seems like most of you must be football coaches or former players with the way you all evaluate film. i know there are a few guys that play football coach in real life on the board but come on.

this thread is all that is wrong with message boards in a nutshell. a bunch of lawyers, accountants, salesman, construction workers and students acting like football coaches.

i have no idea what most of you do for a living but it seems like most of you must be football coaches or former players with the way you all evaluate film. i know there are a few guys that play football coach in real life on the board but come on.

Sooooo, let me get this straight, we aren't allowed to evaluate/critique players based on their highlight film? Or only if it's positive? Man please, that's why the board is here so we can have this discussion. Yes he has great size but with that size he isn't dominating kids half his size, some of which he's actually getting drove off the ball but I guess we have to be in a coaching position or be a former collegiate player/professional player to be able to see this.

it is ok to have an opinion but guys are just flat out positive they see a guy that can't play from these tapes. i just find it hard to believe guys are that good at evaluating tape to make some of the statements i am reading.

Do I have to be a computer expert to know that a certain computer is a piece of crap? Do I need to be a doctor to know that a certain doctor sucks at practicing medicine?

It seems all the other "experts" in the computer/medical field think very highly of him.. I'll take their word over yours.

Evidenced by his zero star rating. Gotcha.

Stars matter.. really, they do.

Channing-Tatum-laughing-21-jump-street.gif

Advertisement
Back