Never seen a coach quit like this

Advertisement
Things will get better. The recruiting will improve and the financial commitment to the program will ultimately manifest itself in wins. That said, Mario showed us little this season. I am hoping this was an effect of injury to the starting QB and an oc that is historically bad and not a reflection of his limitations as a HC.
What we all hope.

I have never liked Mario as my post history makes clear. I knew he was the wrong hire because none of his supposed "strengths" are relevant here.

However, I'm still pretty shocked at the way the season played out. I figured we'd go 7-6 and look a bit better than last year. One thing I did expect from Mario was to see a team that did more of the little things right, even though I had no long term expectations for him succeeding here.

But about halfway through the season--after it become obviously his original "plan" wasn't working--he completely quit on the team. He started trashing the players, obviously did nothing to intervene on offense (because he doesn't have the background to do that), and completely deflated the team. He gave the players absolutely nothing to believe in and it showed.

Now, our talent is mid tier ACC talent at best. I have been saying this for years and have been attacked on the board for this. But even mid tier ACC talent should be competitive with other mid tier ACC teams and should beat MTSU and Duke. And any coach with even a modicum of coaching ability should be able to make adjustments after seeing that their original approach isn't working. In 2016, Richt opened up the offense a bit after our four game losing streak and we had our second best season of the past 17 years.

Mario is so bad that I'm beginning to wonder if he's sick or has something going on personally. I have never seen a coach just quit on a team like that especially in the first year. Mario's first year here resembles the end of Golden's tenure, where the players were completely deflated and the coach knew it was over and that he had no answers. I just can't believe how bad this guy is. All the excuses in the world--blaming it on someone else--won't save him. He's just an awful coach who is already checked out.
Que clase de come mierda! This porst is so awful, I think you’ve already checked out as a canes fan.

Mario is so bad that I'm beginning to wonder if he's sick or has something going on personally. I have never seen a coach just quit on a team like that especially in the first year. Mario's first year here resembles the end of Golden's tenure, where the players were completely deflated and the coach knew it was over and that he had no answers. I just can't believe how bad this guy is. All the excuses in the world--blaming it on someone else--won't save him. He's just an awful coach who is already checked out.

Dude left a good thing at Oregon—personally and professionally—to come home to rebuild his dumpster fire alma mater, which has been in the tank for 20 years and has been a perennial penny-pinching, eat-what-you-kill program (with a clown AD, a former president actively against football and a newer guy that's been at-best hands-off).

Whatever Mario thought he was walking into with Manny Diaz's old team—the equivalent of buying a used car without getting to look under the hood or take it for a test drive. The minute he got here, saw the roster he was working with and was knee-deep in a broken culture—so many kids from the Country Club Manny way of doing things who wanted no part of his hard-***, Butch Davis-like "my way of the highway" approach—he realized this was no patch and paint renovation. He had to strip this thing down to the studs for a full-blown rebuild, which ain't happening mid-season.

Once these kids didn't heed the warning after a bye week and loss to Texas A&M—laying an egg against Middle Tennessee, where players came out and admitted post-game that they weren't ready, didn't think they had to bring an A-game, felt they could just go through the motions and win, couldn't pinpoint what went wrong (Rivers, Clark and Stevenson—look it up)—this season was done late-September at 2-2.

Let's see what Mario does in the off-season and over the next few years, as it's foolish to throw it all out after one season, with this program has been trash for two decades.
FSU is no juggernaut right now, but 8-3 under Norvell in year three—they look like a much different program than the 6-12 squad that rolled into face Diaz's Canes last fall.

Riley rolled into USC with an offense, his own scheme (as his own play caller) and a Heisman-caliber quarterback—which allowed him to rob the portal, to land the Blietnikoff winner and to send dead weight packing—while Cristobal is a culture guy, which can work in the long-run but there is no short-term answer for that type of coach or approach.

Davis was a culture guy, a great evaluator of talent and he needed six years (albeit dealing with probation) to get Miami where it needed to be—calculated with how they doled out scholarships to quality kids, football kids and Miami-style kids who wanted to be part of something special.

With the transfer portal what it is, Highsmith on board as a talent evaluator, and Mario's recruiting efforts—Miami can turn things around much quicker than it was done 25 years ago—and it all starts with (1) punting any dead-weight kids who don't want to be here, (2) finding those who do through the portal and the former MSU staffer Andrew Rodgers heading that up, (3) reeling in character kids who want to play football and work hard and (4) evaluating some bad staff hires and making some immediate changes this off-season to avoid another year like 2022.

Anything outside of that is emotion talking and not logical in the lead; the Mario "quit nonsense.

Dude didn't accidentally go 35-12 over four years at Oregon, winning the PAC-12 twice, two 10+ win seasons, Rose Bowl win, huge upset at #3 Ohio State last fall, massive efforts recruiting-wise and some quality players who loved playing for him.

The ONLY thing that changed from 2021 to 2022 was that he took over a Manny Diaz roster of deadasses and entitled South Florida talent (that wasn't good enough for Bama or Georgia to poach.)

Let it play out. No need to go all "death therapy" after year one.

Advertisement
I stoped at our talent is mid ACC at best. And for all yall saying that **** I’ll continue to not read your opinions too lol scheme is the reason we are trash on offense, and unfortunate injuries. Defense I think just got down because offense was trash but maybe also because Addae can’t coach DB’s for ****.
⚠️ : Analytical Break Down‼️‼️

I agree our scheme absolutely sucks, but let’s be clear:

Here was our starting/rotation defense from 2021:
DL: McCloud, Harvey, Ford, JHH (Silvera/Miller)
LB: Flagg, K Smith (Steed)
Striker: Carter (Frierson)
DB: Stevenson, Ivey, Bolden (Kinchens), Hall (Williams)

[Returning: Harvey, JHH, Flagg, K Smith, Stevenson, Ivey, Kinchens, Miller, Stevenson, Ivey, Kinchens, Williams, Steed, Frierson]

11 of the 17 (65%) players who either started or was in rotation from last yr’s defense returned to “run it back.”

Rankings from 2021:

-Total Def: 75th (7th in the ACC)
-Rushing Def: 44th (5th in the ACC)
-Passing Def: 102nd (11th in the ACC)
-Passing Efficiency Def: 60th (7th in the ACC)
-1st down Def: 45 (6th in the ACC)
-3rd Down Def: 76th (9th in the ACC)
-4th Down Def: 45th (5th in the ACC)
-Scoring Def: 82nd (9th in the ACC)
-Sacks: T-35th (T-4th w/ FSU, NCST in the ACC)
-TFLs: 8th (2nd in the ACC)
-Red Zone Def: 129th (14th in the ACC)
-Turnovers Gained: 118th (13th in the ACC)

*Our avg. Def rank/category was 8th in the ACC*

Here’s our starting/rotation offense from 2021:
QB: King (TVD)
RB: Harris (Chaney/Knighton)
WR: Rambo, Smith, Harley (Brinson, X, George)
TE: Mallory
OL: Nelson (Williams), Gaynor (Clark), Scaife, Donaldson (Oluwaseun)

[Returning: TVD, Chaney, Knighton, Brinson, Smith, X, George, Mallory, Nelson, Clark, Scaife, Oluwaseun]

12 of 19 (63%) players who either started or was in rotation from last yr’s offense returned to “run it back.”

Rankings from 2021
:
-Total Off: 19th (5th in the ACC)
-Rushing Off: 97th (12th in the ACC)
-Passing Off: 10th (3rd in the ACC)
-Passing Efficiency Off: 28th (4th in the ACC)
-1st Down Off: 39th (5th in the ACC)
-3rd Down Off: 50th (6th in the ACC)
-4th Down Off: 8th (1st in the ACC)
-Scoring Off: 23rd (5th in the ACC)
-Sacks Allowed: 89th (8th in the ACC)
-TFLs Allowed: T-108th (T-12th w/ FSU in the ACC)
-Red Zone Off: T-51st (7th in the ACC)
-Turnovers: T-66th (T-10th w/ UVA in the ACC)

*Our avg. Off rank/category was 6th in the ACC

This team was literally the definition of mid. U couple these stats along w/ us being 108th in penalties (12th in the ACC), & voila, our returning core.

The difference between 2021 & 2022 is that we passed the ball really, really well in 2021. That masked over or gave the impression of being more talented than we really were.

Lashlee gave us Vegas at night on The Strip, Gattis gave us Vegas in the day off The Strip. If u ever been to Vegas, u know it’s a totally different feel at night vs day, but it’s the same city.

Advertisement
I didn't read much after the first dozen or so posts.

OP, correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like you were saying he quit on this team, the current players. Not so much the school or job itself, and obviously not recruiting.

I have no idea if that true, but it's obvious from some of his comments he was lost as to what to do with a lot of the current roster.

Mario can be and is many things. Quitter isn't one, imo. I'm as disappointed as anyone else but this observation is off.
Yea your right he never quit on a philosophy that wasn’t realistic for this team and probably never will. He’s a Neanderthal in his physicality efforts when every team is physical . Mario go talk to Mike Mcdaniels about how to get the best creative ways to be successful…. he’ll give you some ideas.

Just curious...

What led you, besides emotion, to believe Miami would go 7-6? Especially by game 5 or 6?
I thought Miami would go 7-6 before the season. After a quarter of the Southern Miss game, I began predicting 4-8 and texted someone that this was the worst Miami team I'd ever seen.

Advertisement
I didn't read much after the first dozen or so posts.

OP, correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like you were saying he quit on this team, the current players. Not so much the school or job itself, and obviously not recruiting.

I have no idea if that true, but it's obvious from some of his comments he was lost as to what to do with a lot of the current roster.

Correct. I don't think he'll stop recruiting yet because he probably believes that "recruiting" will fix this mess (it won't). But I think it's fairly obvious he basically quit trying to win games this year and just threw in the towel.

When you have a passionate rant by a player directed at fellow players that suggest to them that they need to GTFOOH if they ain't going to put in the work...you've got these players mid-season admitting they don't work hard and need to eat better (lmfao)...when you got players moms admitting to the public that their son called home crying because one of the coaches said his unit stinks...when you have players admitting to the public that they did not take an opponent serious... and y'all still point the first finger at a coaching staff all with varying success at the major Power 5 level, we've can't even have a conversation.

This is just a small sample of PUBLIC knowledge. Not even anything that is rumor mill fodder, conjecture, "inside info" from propagandists, etc. You don't hear this nonsense coming from successful programs and successful players. It comes from unserious programs and unserious players. That isn't to say there aren't serious players on our team...there definitely is...but they are carrying an albatross around their necks for this program by the umpteenth number of individuals on this team that are unserious. These players admit to the public they are unserious. We have heard recruits that come to visit here what they think of what would be their future teammates and opt to go elsewhere. This has been happening for years. Unserious human beings littering the roster, the coaching staffs, etc.

Despite that...the current head coach is out there recruiting his *** off. idk if he'll be successful here. He's been successful elsewhere...won multiple conference championships...but Miami has proven to be a different animal making very good coaches look significantly worse by proxy of their association with the University. If you're going to be successful here, you can't quit on a team. You've got to burn the midnight oil to make this team better. We'll see if Mario can do it, but he hasn't quit on this team...and I'd understand if he did...because as a serious man, its tough to try and lead a group of unserious men, especially ones that openly sandbag.

Dude left a good thing at Oregon—personally and professionally—to come home to rebuild his dumpster fire alma mater, which has been in the tank for 20 years and has been a perennial penny-pinching, eat-what-you-kill program (with a clown AD, a former president actively against football and a newer guy that's been at-best hands-off).

Whatever Mario thought he was walking into with Manny Diaz's old team—the equivalent of buying a used car without getting to look under the hood or take it for a test drive. The minute he got here, saw the roster he was working with and was knee-deep in a broken culture—so many kids from the Country Club Manny way of doing things who wanted no part of his hard-***, Butch Davis-like "my way of the highway" approach—he realized this was no patch and paint renovation. He had to strip this thing down to the studs for a full-blown rebuild, which ain't happening mid-season.

Once these kids didn't heed the warning after a bye week and loss to Texas A&M—laying an egg against Middle Tennessee, where players came out and admitted post-game that they weren't ready, didn't think they had to bring an A-game, felt they could just go through the motions and win, couldn't pinpoint what went wrong (Rivers, Clark and Stevenson—look it up)—this season was done late-September at 2-2.

Let's see what Mario does in the off-season and over the next few years, as it's foolish to throw it all out after one season, with this program has been trash for two decades.
FSU is no juggernaut right now, but 8-3 under Norvell in year three—they look like a much different program than the 6-12 squad that rolled into face Diaz's Canes last fall.

Riley rolled into USC with an offense, his own scheme (as his own play caller) and a Heisman-caliber quarterback—which allowed him to rob the portal, to land the Blietnikoff winner and to send dead weight packing—while Cristobal is a culture guy, which can work in the long-run but there is no short-term answer for that type of coach or approach.

Davis was a culture guy, a great evaluator of talent and he needed six years (albeit dealing with probation) to get Miami where it needed to be—calculated with how they doled out scholarships to quality kids, football kids and Miami-style kids who wanted to be part of something special.

With the transfer portal what it is, Highsmith on board as a talent evaluator, and Mario's recruiting efforts—Miami can turn things around much quicker than it was done 25 years ago—and it all starts with (1) punting any dead-weight kids who don't want to be here, (2) finding those who do through the portal and the former MSU staffer Andrew Rodgers heading that up, (3) reeling in character kids who want to play football and work hard and (4) evaluating some bad staff hires and making some immediate changes this off-season to avoid another year like 2022.

Anything outside of that is emotion talking and not logical in the lead; the Mario "quit nonsense.

Dude didn't accidentally go 35-12 over four years at Oregon, winning the PAC-12 twice, two 10+ win seasons, Rose Bowl win, huge upset at #3 Ohio State last fall, massive efforts recruiting-wise and some quality players who loved playing for him.

The ONLY thing that changed from 2021 to 2022 was that he took over a Manny Diaz roster of deadasses and entitled South Florida talent (that wasn't good enough for Bama or Georgia to poach.)

Let it play out. No need to go all "death therapy" after year one.
This calms me down to no end…

Advertisement
When you have a passionate rant by a player directed at fellow players that suggest to them that they need to GTFOOH if they ain't going to put in the work...you've got these players mid-season admitting they don't work hard and need to eat better (lmfao)...when you got players moms admitting to the public that their son called home crying because one of the coaches said his unit stinks...when you have players admitting to the public that they did not take an opponent serious... and y'all still point the first finger at a coaching staff all with varying success at the major Power 5 level, we've can't even have a conversation.

This is just a small sample of PUBLIC knowledge. Not even anything that is rumor mill fodder, conjecture, "inside info" from propagandists, etc. You don't hear this nonsense coming from successful programs and successful players. It comes from unserious programs and unserious players. That isn't to say there aren't serious players on our team...there definitely is...but they are carrying an albatross around their necks for this program by the umpteenth number of individuals on this team that are unserious. These players admit to the public they are unserious. We have heard recruits that come to visit here what they think of what would be their future teammates and opt to go elsewhere. This has been happening for years. Unserious human beings littering the roster, the coaching staffs, etc.

Despite that...the current head coach is out there recruiting his *** off. idk if he'll be successful here. He's been successful elsewhere...won multiple conference championships...but Miami has proven to be a different animal making very good coaches look significantly worse by proxy of their association with the University. If you're going to be successful here, you can't quit on a team. You've got to burn the midnight oil to make this team better. We'll see if Mario can do it, but he hasn't quit on this team...and I'd understand if he did...because as a serious man, its tough to try and lead a group of unserious men, especially ones that openly sandbag.
Awesome post. I swear 75% of their board hears or reads this info and it’s in through one ear and out the other. We’re so used to automatically blaming the man in charge that certain posters (the same ones every single time) either fail to recognize the root of the problem, or ignore it all together.

Mario is going to earn every bit of his 80 mil. Are there mistakes he made in year 1? Oh yeah, he made plenty - and he’s got a chance to atone for those miscalculations and poor decisions, and can do so in a quicker manner thanks to a strong NIL game and a relentless work ethic.

I don’t think even he understood the sheer amount of rot in this program and what it’s going to take to turn this around.

If there’s anyone that has the work ethic and patience to do it because he loves this program and bleeds orange and green, it’s Mario.

i dont think mario quit. i think the coaches he hired and players quit on the season after a certain point though. when you cant take control of an entire side of the ball (like being an OC or DC) if someone is flopping or basically going through the motions, you have no choice to but live w it until the end fo the year.

Advertisement
Back