Never seen a coach quit like this

Cool Starry Bra.jpg

Advertisement
Mario's strength is his ability as a recruiter...maybe as a program builder, but we'll see about that. He did build FIU to their first bowl game and he did right the ship at Oregon while increasing their talent quotient.

I am not sure how either of those are not relevant to this school. Both of those characteristics, to me, are exactly what the Miami Hurricanes need, especially evaluating and recruiting. It has been a historic weakness of ours in the past 15+ years.

A lot of people want us to de-emphasize recruiting and go after a scheme guy. That'll get us to a certain point, but...there is a ceiling there as Lincoln Riley will attest to. You need to recruit at the tippy top level if you want to muscle past a glass ceiling.

First things first, we need to build a roster capable of beating UNC or Florida State. Then we can talk about more. But right now, we aren't built to beat the upper middle class of the ACC, nevermind contend with Clemson, which will require us to have a massive injection of talent that is coached up and at the working standard we should be striving to attain. To start moving up the food chain in college football...increasing talent level and emphasizing the work required to succeed is step one to getting this going in the right direction. Those seem like traits of Mario Cristobal prior to coming to Miami.

I just think Mario figured out he made some massive mistakes in hiring ( especially hiring the staffs for the OC/DC) and there wasn’t much he could do about it especially on the offensive side cause he isn’t an offensive mind and decided just to ride out the season as is.

We will see what we have in Mario in the coming weeks if/when Gattis and others are canned and how he holds this recruiting class together then how he handles the portal.

This is going to be a 40-50 player turnaround and all we can hope is that Mario along with AH are as good at recruiting and evaluating players as they’re supposed to be.

Advertisement
I loved the hire. Everything about it. But the way we lost games and how we quit is a huge black mark on Mario. We could not do the “little things” to save our life. Every time we did something good we’d shoot our selves in the foof

Since some of you have sat in on meetings with Mario, followed what he does day to day, and spoken with what I assume is dozens of players on the team to draw these conclusions please tell me more. I love inside info. Because I know you can’t draw all these conclusions from interviews with Susan, Ferman and Manny.

Also I have two young kids so I must have missed all the instances where Mario threw kids under the bus. Could you link them. I’m about to make my nightly move and need some reading.

I have never liked Mario as my post history makes clear. I knew he was the wrong hire because none of his supposed "strengths" are relevant here.

However, I'm still pretty shocked at the way the season played out. I figured we'd go 7-6 and look a bit better than last year. One thing I did expect from Mario was to see a team that did more of the little things right, even though I had no long term expectations for him succeeding here.

But about halfway through the season--after it become obviously his original "plan" wasn't working--he completely quit on the team. He started trashing the players, obviously did nothing to intervene on offense (because he doesn't have the background to do that), and completely deflated the team. He gave the players absolutely nothing to believe in and it showed.

Now, our talent is mid tier ACC talent at best. I have been saying this for years and have been attacked on the board for this. But even mid tier ACC talent should be competitive with other mid tier ACC teams and should beat MTSU and Duke. And any coach with even a modicum of coaching ability should be able to make adjustments after seeing that their original approach isn't working. In 2016, Richt opened up the offense a bit after our four game losing streak and we had our second best season of the past 17 years.

Mario is so bad that I'm beginning to wonder if he's sick or has something going on personally. I have never seen a coach just quit on a team like that especially in the first year. Mario's first year here resembles the end of Golden's tenure, where the players were completely deflated and the coach knew it was over and that he had no answers. I just can't believe how bad this guy is. All the excuses in the world--blaming it on someone else--won't save him. He's just an awful coach who is already checked out.
You think Mario quit? You’re entitled to your opinion, but …Nah fam.

Advertisement
In regards to the OP’s last paragraph, I’ve actually had a theory for a couple of months that Cristobal is still downtrodden about the death of his mom and it’s seeped into his demeanor.

If you compare his pressers from Oregon to his pressers now he doesn’t have nearly the same liveliness.

Hopefully if that is indeed the cause, it resolves itself in the off-season when he has some time to decompress.

We’ll know a lot more after next season. Do the kids who have two years with Mario develop as players or not? Coker had tremendous classes on paper as did Shannon, they did not develop players very well. Part of that was poor program and culture building.

Advertisement
He looked defeated. He looked like he had no answers and he looked like a guy who wish he could make some different decisions, not in terms of coming to Miami, but in terms of things in his control after coming to Miami, like coaching hires and personnel decisions. Looks like a man who's confidence is shaken and the bravado of "we will be a championship team" sounds like he is trying to convince himself more than this being part of a process of some great plan..
Almost like he was ready for the season to be over and get some new blood in the program. Crazy.

I have never liked Mario as my post history makes clear. I knew he was the wrong hire because none of his supposed "strengths" are relevant here.

However, I'm still pretty shocked at the way the season played out. I figured we'd go 7-6 and look a bit better than last year. One thing I did expect from Mario was to see a team that did more of the little things right, even though I had no long term expectations for him succeeding here.

But about halfway through the season--after it become obviously his original "plan" wasn't working--he completely quit on the team. He started trashing the players, obviously did nothing to intervene on offense (because he doesn't have the background to do that), and completely deflated the team. He gave the players absolutely nothing to believe in and it showed.

Now, our talent is mid tier ACC talent at best. I have been saying this for years and have been attacked on the board for this. But even mid tier ACC talent should be competitive with other mid tier ACC teams and should beat MTSU and Duke. And any coach with even a modicum of coaching ability should be able to make adjustments after seeing that their original approach isn't working. In 2016, Richt opened up the offense a bit after our four game losing streak and we had our second best season of the past 17 years.

Mario is so bad that I'm beginning to wonder if he's sick or has something going on personally. I have never seen a coach just quit on a team like that especially in the first year. Mario's first year here resembles the end of Golden's tenure, where the players were completely deflated and the coach knew it was over and that he had no answers. I just can't believe how bad this guy is. All the excuses in the world--blaming it on someone else--won't save him. He's just an awful coach who is already checked out.
What a meat head u go to bed

Advertisement

I can't believe what a lack of knowledge you bring to this board. Go back to your Gaytor Fallatio board.

I think Mario been quit on the players but not the program. He IS Miami and he thinks these kids are the opposite (whatever that may be.) My main problem with Mario is the coaching staff he put together. You have to let the coordinators you hire bring in their own guys. Chemistry is such a big deal on your coaching staff.

You lost me at we have mid tier ACC talent. You’re stupid AF if you truly believe that! We didn’t just choose 50 plus blue chip players who were over rated coming out of high school. They were highly touted and most of them had major offers.That’s good enough for top 15 talent and second in the ACC. It’s next to impossible that we chose all the over rated dudes. Some were, no doubt but our coaching and culture are bigger reasons we suck. Look at schools like TCU, Wake, NC State, OK State doing more with less. It’s because they have good coaching and culture. Mario lost to Utah twice in the same season at Oregon. Utah had way less talent than Oregon. Unfortunately, even when he gets a few more 5 stars here and the blue chip ratio goes up to 75-80 percent he will still take Al’s to less talented, better coached teams.

Advertisement
Back