Never seen a coach quit like this

Advertisement
It’s never a good thing to get caught running for the door because the season is too hard for you. Either CMC is tough as nails or he isn't.
At some point in the season, it is what it is. You can’t get new players or quality coaches. I have no issue with him looking forward to the off-season where he isn’t handcuffed to make changes (his fault or not).

I have never liked Mario as my post history makes clear. I knew he was the wrong hire because none of his supposed "strengths" are relevant here.

However, I'm still pretty shocked at the way the season played out. I figured we'd go 7-6 and look a bit better than last year. One thing I did expect from Mario was to see a team that did more of the little things right, even though I had no long term expectations for him succeeding here.

But about halfway through the season--after it become obviously his original "plan" wasn't working--he completely quit on the team. He started trashing the players, obviously did nothing to intervene on offense (because he doesn't have the background to do that), and completely deflated the team. He gave the players absolutely nothing to believe in and it showed.

Now, our talent is mid tier ACC talent at best. I have been saying this for years and have been attacked on the board for this. But even mid tier ACC talent should be competitive with other mid tier ACC teams and should beat MTSU and Duke. And any coach with even a modicum of coaching ability should be able to make adjustments after seeing that their original approach isn't working. In 2016, Richt opened up the offense a bit after our four game losing streak and we had our second best season of the past 17 years.

Mario is so bad that I'm beginning to wonder if he's sick or has something going on personally. I have never seen a coach just quit on a team like that especially in the first year. Mario's first year here resembles the end of Golden's tenure, where the players were completely deflated and the coach knew it was over and that he had no answers. I just can't believe how bad this guy is. All the excuses in the world--blaming it on someone else--won't save him. He's just an awful coach who is already checked out.
Just curious...

What led you, besides emotion, to believe Miami would go 7-6? Especially by game 5 or 6?

Advertisement
I have never liked Mario as my post history makes clear. I knew he was the wrong hire because none of his supposed "strengths" are relevant here.

However, I'm still pretty shocked at the way the season played out. I figured we'd go 7-6 and look a bit better than last year. One thing I did expect from Mario was to see a team that did more of the little things right, even though I had no long term expectations for him succeeding here.

But about halfway through the season--after it become obviously his original "plan" wasn't working--he completely quit on the team. He started trashing the players, obviously did nothing to intervene on offense (because he doesn't have the background to do that), and completely deflated the team. He gave the players absolutely nothing to believe in and it showed.

Now, our talent is mid tier ACC talent at best. I have been saying this for years and have been attacked on the board for this. But even mid tier ACC talent should be competitive with other mid tier ACC teams and should beat MTSU and Duke. And any coach with even a modicum of coaching ability should be able to make adjustments after seeing that their original approach isn't working. In 2016, Richt opened up the offense a bit after our four game losing streak and we had our second best season of the past 17 years.

Mario is so bad that I'm beginning to wonder if he's sick or has something going on personally. I have never seen a coach just quit on a team like that especially in the first year. Mario's first year here resembles the end of Golden's tenure, where the players were completely deflated and the coach knew it was over and that he had no answers. I just can't believe how bad this guy is. All the excuses in the world--blaming it on someone else--won't save him. He's just an awful coach who is already checked out.
Ridiculous take number 3571. Over emotional take number 6712. This is one of the most PMS fueled rants. I’ve read in a while.

He didn’t quit, he realized that the majority of the players that we have, regardless of star rating, are bad players. The majority of them came in under the leadership of bad coaches that happen to be bad recruiters. Excuse me, did you see anyone out there outside of Kinchens that showed a drop of leader ship? I did not.

Mario recruited a top notch staff prior to the season. On paper that staff looked amazing. But sometimes highly talented individuals don’t work well together and it takes a little bit of time to figure that out. On and on. Some of y’all just like the gastric juices to go through the initial. ****. Most of you guys just want the good Times here right now. But there’s a period of adjustment on this program needs it. If you can’t handle it, then get the heck out.

Criticize Mario all you want, but to say that he quit on the team, and that he is a terrible coach, that he doesn’t know what he’s doing. It’s just stupid. That’s all it is. It’s ignorant.

But I am sure that once he cleans up this mess, you will be celebrating when this team is a contender 2 to 3 years from now. You will be their sporting your Mario T-shirt and conveniently ignoring the garbage you wrote previously. I know your type.

Maybe some of you all should go back in time and look at what we had to go through in the mid to late 90s in order to resurrect this program. Simply, by reading the narrative you might grow some ********s.

Last edited:
Ridiculous take number 3571. Over emotional take number 6712. This is one of the most PMS fueled rants. I’ve read in a while.

He didn’t quit, he realized that the majority of the players that we have, regardless of star rating, are bad players. The majority of them came in under the leadership of bad coaches that happen to be bad recruiters. Excuse me, did you see anyone out there outside of Kinchens that showed a drop of leader ship? I did not.

Mario recruited a top notch staff prior to the season. On paper that staff looked amazing. But sometimes highly talented individuals don’t work well together and it takes a little bit of time to figure that out. On and on. Some of y’all just like the gastric juices to go through the initial. ****. Most of you guys just want the good Times here right now. But there’s a period of adjustment on this program needs it. If you can’t handle it, then get the heck out.

Criticize Mario all you want, but to say that he quit on the team, and that he is a terrible coach, that he doesn’t know what he’s doing. It’s just stupid. That’s all it is. It’s ignorant.

But I am sure that once he cleans up this mess, you will be celebrating when this team is a contender 2 to 3 years from now. You will be their sporting your Mario T-shirt and conveniently ignoring the garbage you wrote previously. I know your type.

Maybe some of you all should go back in time and look at what we had to go through in the mid to late 90s in order to resurrect this program. Simply, by reading the narrative you might grow some ********s.
B9590E61-9FF9-484A-95F9-4FAAA819C381.jpeg

Advertisement

Can't wait to bump this post in 2-3 years. It'll be glorious.

Can't wait to bump this post in 2-3 years. It'll be glorious.
Best of luck with that. Our schedule is ridiculous over the next few years. This year was the year to have momentum. We fell flat on our face. Next year is another chance before the schedule becomes a Notre Dame esque gauntlet

Advertisement
Anyone who's been on Canes websites over the past couple decades knows that you NEVER go full Tony Perps. That said, TP has a grain of truth in his post.

The aspect that concerns me about Mario is his insistence on coming off like The Great Santini of college football. It's something that is likely a strength for Mario but if does not learn to temper that mindset to an extent, it could very well lead to his downfall. It's definitely an area where I'd like see some growth from Mario.

For those who do not The Great Santini:

Great book and movie

Advertisement
Who ran for the door? It looks like he is still showing up every day.

He looked defeated. He looked like he had no answers and he looked like a guy who wish he could make some different decisions, not in terms of coming to Miami, but in terms of things in his control after coming to Miami, like coaching hires and personnel decisions. Looks like a man who's confidence is shaken and the bravado of "we will be a championship team" sounds like he is trying to convince himself more than this being part of a process of some great plan..
Almost like he was ready for the season to be over and get some new blood in the program. Crazy.

It was based on this conversation. Where Tru C said CMC looked defeated and then L A M P kinda said well maybe he's ready for the season to be over to get some new blood "sarcastically" and I said that its not a good look for your leader to to be rushing towards the door (end of the season) just because the season is tough. Its almost like he's giving up on some of the kids so by definition he gave up on the season. Just my opinion. You can still coach the kids you have.

Basically L A M P said that the season is what it is. I didn't have anything else to add...

+10,000

The Mario excuses are funnier than a Dave Chappelle stand up.

What exactly is it that you think this team will be contending for in 2 years?

Advertisement
Back