Never seen a coach quit like this

Best of luck with that. Our schedule is ridiculous over the next few years. This year was the year to have momentum. We fell flat on our face. Next year is another chance before the schedule becomes a Notre Dame esque gauntlet
Right because in a few years, the talent level and coaching staff will be the same….

Advertisement
I didn't read much after the first dozen or so posts.

OP, correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like you were saying he quit on this team, the current players. Not so much the school or job itself, and obviously not recruiting.

I have no idea if that true, but it's obvious from some of his comments he was lost as to what to do with a lot of the current roster.
I think you nailed it with the last part. I'm obviously not shy in criticizing Mario and I think the narrative of him being the hardest worker in the profession and having incomprehensible love of this program gets overplayed but he didn't quit.

He just didn't know what to do when things went south reallll quick post TAMU. And that's a problem in itself that he was obviously caught off guard by the true nature of his roster and was unable to get ANYTHING out of it. It's as big a problem as him supposedly being the most "thorough" head coach when it comes to hiring process and THIS is what resulted staff-wise.

All that said, I still believe he can recruit his way out of this and the guy isn't a quitter. I don't know if Zo can help or even if Rad might get involved but almost equally as important as recruiting is going to be the do-over on the staff hires. The initial process and even the associated duration of it can't be allowed to repeat.

I have never liked Mario as my post history makes clear. I knew he was the wrong hire because none of his supposed "strengths" are relevant here.

However, I'm still pretty shocked at the way the season played out. I figured we'd go 7-6 and look a bit better than last year. One thing I did expect from Mario was to see a team that did more of the little things right, even though I had no long term expectations for him succeeding here.

But about halfway through the season--after it become obviously his original "plan" wasn't working--he completely quit on the team. He started trashing the players, obviously did nothing to intervene on offense (because he doesn't have the background to do that), and completely deflated the team. He gave the players absolutely nothing to believe in and it showed.

Now, our talent is mid tier ACC talent at best. I have been saying this for years and have been attacked on the board for this. But even mid tier ACC talent should be competitive with other mid tier ACC teams and should beat MTSU and Duke. And any coach with even a modicum of coaching ability should be able to make adjustments after seeing that their original approach isn't working. In 2016, Richt opened up the offense a bit after our four game losing streak and we had our second best season of the past 17 years.

Mario is so bad that I'm beginning to wonder if he's sick or has something going on personally. I have never seen a coach just quit on a team like that especially in the first year. Mario's first year here resembles the end of Golden's tenure, where the players were completely deflated and the coach knew it was over and that he had no answers. I just can't believe how bad this guy is. All the excuses in the world--blaming it on someone else--won't save him. He's just an awful coach who is already checked out.
What are you basing the allegation that he "quit" on the team? The lazy, self-consumed, so-called "talent" that was here is now being shipped out. The only thing he gave up on was the losers, which is why he played the freshmen and transfer players more and the others are going somewhere else to cry. You can take your shots now, it is easy when things are down, but I suspect you will be eating your words.

Advertisement
Back