Never seen a coach quit like this

Tony Perps

Senior
Purgatory
I have never liked Mario as my post history makes clear. I knew he was the wrong hire because none of his supposed "strengths" are relevant here.

However, I'm still pretty shocked at the way the season played out. I figured we'd go 7-6 and look a bit better than last year. One thing I did expect from Mario was to see a team that did more of the little things right, even though I had no long term expectations for him succeeding here.

But about halfway through the season--after it become obviously his original "plan" wasn't working--he completely quit on the team. He started trashing the players, obviously did nothing to intervene on offense (because he doesn't have the background to do that), and completely deflated the team. He gave the players absolutely nothing to believe in and it showed.

Now, our talent is mid tier ACC talent at best. I have been saying this for years and have been attacked on the board for this. But even mid tier ACC talent should be competitive with other mid tier ACC teams and should beat MTSU and Duke. And any coach with even a modicum of coaching ability should be able to make adjustments after seeing that their original approach isn't working. In 2016, Richt opened up the offense a bit after our four game losing streak and we had our second best season of the past 17 years.

Mario is so bad that I'm beginning to wonder if he's sick or has something going on personally. I have never seen a coach just quit on a team like that especially in the first year. Mario's first year here resembles the end of Golden's tenure, where the players were completely deflated and the coach knew it was over and that he had no answers. I just can't believe how bad this guy is. All the excuses in the world--blaming it on someone else--won't save him. He's just an awful coach who is already checked out.

Advertisement
south park beat a dead horse GIF

I have never liked Mario as my post history makes clear. I knew he was the wrong hire because none of his supposed "strengths" are relevant here.

However, I'm still pretty shocked at the way the season played out. I figured we'd go 7-6 and look a bit better than last year. One thing I did expect from Mario was to see a team that did more of the little things right, even though I had no long term expectations for him succeeding here.

But about halfway through the season--after it become obviously his original "plan" wasn't working--he completely quit on the team. He started trashing the players, obviously did nothing to intervene on offense (because he doesn't have the background to do that), and completely deflated the team. He gave the players absolutely nothing to believe in and it showed.

Now, our talent is mid tier ACC talent at best. I have been saying this for years and have been attacked on the board for this. But even mid tier ACC talent should be competitive with other mid tier ACC teams and should beat MTSU and Duke. And any coach with even a modicum of coaching ability should be able to make adjustments after seeing that their original approach isn't working. In 2016, Richt opened up the offense a bit after our four game losing streak and we had our second best season of the past 17 years.

Mario is so bad that I'm beginning to wonder if he's sick or has something going on personally. I have never seen a coach just quit on a team like that especially in the first year. Mario's first year here resembles the end of Golden's tenure, where the players were completely deflated and the coach knew it was over and that he had no answers. I just can't believe how bad this guy is. All the excuses in the world--blaming it on someone else--won't save him. He's just an awful coach who is already checked out.
If the stories of him recruiting like a madman are true, there is no way you can say he is checked out.

Post Stop GIF by JOE

Advertisement
I stoped at our talent is mid ACC at best. And for all yall saying that **** I’ll continue to not read your opinions too lol scheme is the reason we are trash on offense, and unfortunate injuries. Defense I think just got down because offense was trash but maybe also because Addae can’t coach DB’s for ****.

Anyone who's been on Canes websites over the past couple decades knows that you NEVER go full Tony Perps. That said, TP has a grain of truth in his post.

The aspect that concerns me about Mario is his insistence on coming off like The Great Santini of college football. It's something that is likely a strength for Mario but if does not learn to temper that mindset to an extent, it could very well lead to his downfall. It's definitely an area where I'd like see some growth from Mario.

For those who do not know The Great Santini:

Last edited:
Advertisement
Anyone who's been on Canes websites over the past couple decades knows that you NEVER go full Tony Perps. That said, TP has a grain of truth in his post. The aspect that concerns me about Mario is his insistence on coming off like The Great Santini of college football. It's something that is likely a strength for Mario but if does not learn to temper that mindset to an extent, it could very well lead to his downfall. It's definitely an area where I'd like see some growth from Mario.

For those who do not The Great Santini:

/end thread

Anybody who has been on this board for more than 7 seconds knows not to take a word this dude (I think?) says seriously.

I agree, quit is the wrong word. But he looked defeated. He looked like he had no answers and he looked like a guy who wish he could make some different decisions, not in terms of coming to Miami, but in terms of things in his control after coming to Miami, like coaching hires and personnel decisions. Looks like a man who's confidence is shaken and the bravado of "we will be a championship team" sounds like he is trying to convince himself more than this being part of a process of some great plan..

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back