Never forget the Tate Martell era

Advertisement
Was that a just opportunity? No. But quite arguably he shouldn't have had an opportunity at all yesterday. And when he did finally get in he legit looked like a chicken with its head cut off running around out there. Every single play was garbage sandlot sh-t. Just when you feel like this train wreck couldn't possibly get any worse....

His OSU stats:

Passing:

23 of 28 (83.1%) for 269 yards. 9.6 yards per throw. 1TD 0 Ints Long of 51 yards. 174.6 passer rating.

Rushing:

22 rushes for 128 yards. 5.8 ypc. 2 TDs. 47 yard long rush.

I dunno. Seems decent to me.

Those stats are meaningless as it was all done in mop up duty. The kid is 5'-10" with a below average arm. His scrambling abilities will only get him so far.

Again, Im, glad he got some PT. I actually advocated for it on this board last week. But lets not fool ourselves about his actual talent level.

Its stuff like this where we learn which posters have critical thinking skillz. Yes Tate Martell deserved at least one more series but anyone who's seen Martell play (either at UM or Ohio state) should be able to see that he's not a D1 caliber QB.

Yeah you’re really the authority around here on critical thinking. Thanks for another solid porst.

Advertisement
It's quite an accomplishment when you think about it. It's been 17 years since Fancy hung them up. And in that time how many QB's have rolled through Hecht? Waaaaaay too many to count. And each and every one of them has been...unstellar. You'd think we'd get at least one or two serviceable ones if by no other reason than pure chance. But, remarkably, we've whiffed on EVERY SINGLE QB since Dorsey. That's got to be a college football record.

Advertisement
The film from the Ohio state -vs- Rutgers game told us all we needed to know about Tate Martell as a D1 QB. He simply is not a Power Five caliber QB.
I think they all got tired of running for their lives every game and Manny staging "tryouts" every week for the job. Got real old by October.

Those stats are meaningless as it was all done in mop up duty. The kid is 5'-10" with a below average arm. His scrambling abilities will only get him so far.

Again, Im, glad he got some PT. I actually advocated for it on this board last week. But lets not fool ourselves about his actual talent level.
How convenient. Yet one quick series in a game where neither of the other two QBs did anything either, tells you all you need to know.

Actually, if it was "mop up" duty, I'd say the OSU stats mean even more. That likely means he was working with the 2nd and 3rd teamers against the other team's first string defense.

This guy was considered the crown jewel of Irving Meyers' recruiting class, and now all of a sudden, after being misused by a one and done fired OC, he's just a noodle-armed midget.

How convenient. Yet one quick series in a game where neither of the other two QBs did anything either, tells you all you need to know.

Actually, if it was "mop up" duty, I'd say the OSU stats mean even more. That likely means he was working with the 2nd and 3rd teamers against the other team's first string defense.

This guy was considered the crown jewel of Irving Meyers' recruiting class, and now all of a sudden, after being misused by a one and done fired OC, he's just a noodle-armed midget.

Its not all of the sudden. Its been 3 years since Martell was a high school TV reality show participant who captivated the nation by winning a ton of high school games. In those 3 years he's been beaten out by plenty of other QBs, including ones who aren't very good.

I've tried to avoid the Tate Martell debate here. Just seems to be too polarizing. Call it my opinion, but to me its beyond obvious that the kid is not a D1 caliber QB. The film of him in the 4th quarter of the Ohio state vs Rutgers game was quite telling IMO.

Advertisement
Not saying we win, but we undoubtedly score a point if Tate plays the entire game. He would have broke something at some point. Williams is not only terrible, but he might be the dumbest QB we’ve ever had at Miami and that’s saying a lot.

With those runs, he was bound to score 2 points. Unfortunately, for the other team.

Didn't deserve any series. Took multiple sabbaticals during the season, then plays in the Bowl game? NO. Can't happen. Can't build a winning program this way. Can't reward this type of behavior. Same for Jarren skipping practice and threatening to tranfer. Bye.

I need winners. Winning starts between the ears. Get rid of weak minded players and staff.
We would have no one left.

Advertisement
The film of him in the 4th quarter of the Ohio state vs Rutgers game was quite telling IMO.
I still don't know what you mean. His stats are his stats. What specifically did you see to overlook the very good numbers he put up?

Btw, you know who else was initially beaten out by Haskins and left, while Martell stayed? Joe Burrow. Martell was the next guy up. Then Myers left and the new staff changed direction. And I don't remember Burrow looking so great last season. Most QBs need time (and competent coaching) to develop.

Advertisement
Back