Never forget the Tate Martell era

Advertisement
Advertisement
I think most of that was due to the o-line play sucking. The rest of his failures were largely due to play calling and a lack of coaching.
Did he ever look past the first read? He had time... he got flushed cause he sat and stared down the first read for 5 seconds.

Tate Martell probably shouldn't have been a 5-Star recruit because of his size and his HS juke moves tonight were funny to watch. That being said, he was still an elite recruit in HS.
Nope! That just shows how bad some recruiters and recruiting services are. If I were rating him from the games I saw he would have been a 2 star. He was missing to many tools. He was a tough kid, that can get you through HS but not a good college.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
And then we have the best QB in the Pro's right now and the dopes @ Miami at the time couldn't find one reason to give him a chance, that's part of the problem. We need real evaluators.

I don’t think he should’ve played but if he did, it should’ve been all in. As in, at least a half to see. The one series thing just makes the staff look even more ridiculous. Almost like, here Tate now stfu.

Its stuff like this where we learn which posters have critical thinking skillz. Yes Tate Martell deserved at least one more series but anyone who's seen Martell play (either at UM or Ohio state) should be able to see that he's not a D1 caliber QB.

He did but he played a much tougher defense which caused a lot of good QBs not named Joe Burrow or Jake Fromm to struggle. Tate was struggling against LaTech. Even the announcers said Tate had to try to throw. He didn’t have any confidence throwing the ball. That led me to believe that he just isn’t a p5 or fbs QB. The kid is quick but not very fast. Combine that with a weak arm. It only would have got worse. However the coaches wanted to play him more but he got hurt.
Did he ever look past the first read? He had time... he got flushed cause he sat and stared down the first read for 5 seconds.
I not defending his performance. Im a little frustrated that were going into our second straight spring season with this QB group not knowing who our quarterback is or what Tate can do, if anything, for this offense. And now we have to blow it all up and start over again with a new OC coordinator (not complaining about that).

Advertisement
What game were you watching? Defenders were flying in completely unblocked. He was forced to scramble from the get go. An OC with a brain would know that a defense is going to bring pressure on a new, cold QB coming into the game and account for it with a screen pass or draw play, or anything that doesn't rely on our horrible O line holding a block for more than half a second.

I not defending his performance. Im a little frustrated that were going into our second straight spring season with this QB group not knowing who our quarterback is or what Tate can do, if anything, for this offense. And now we have to blow it all up and start over again with a new OC coordinator (not complaining about that).
Second straight spring? Shiiiiiiiit this is the 17th straight spring of utter ineptitude all across the board.

Its stuff like this where we learn which posters have critical thinking skillz. Yes Tate Martell deserved at least one more series but anyone who's seen Martell play (either at UM or Ohio state) should be able to see that he's not a D1 caliber QB.
His film and numbers at OSU were quite decent. Not sure what you were watching. Irving Myers got him into games as often as he could. He was next in line until Myers left and the new staff changed course and brought in Justin Fields (whiched caused a few excellent QBs to leave).

Advertisement
What game were you watching? Defenders were flying in completely unblocked. He was forced to scramble from the get go. An OC with a brain would know that a defense is going to bring pressure on a new, cold QB coming into the game and account for it with a screen pass or draw play, or anything that doesn't rely on our horrible O line holding a block for more than half a second.

I watched the game where he held his eyes on one receiver regardless of whether he was flushed or not. Which also happened to be the same game where a new cold QB came into the game and the OC didn’t account for it with a screen pass or draw play, or anything that doesn't rely on our horrible O line holding a block for more than half a second.

His film and numbers at OSU were quite decent. Not sure what you were watching. Irving Myers got him into games as often as he could. He was next in line until Myers left and the new staff changed course and brought in Justin Fields (whiched caused a few excellent QBs to leave).

The film from the Ohio state -vs- Rutgers game told us all we needed to know about Tate Martell as a D1 QB. He simply is not a Power Five caliber QB.

The film from the Ohio state -vs- Rutgers game told us all we needed to know about Tate Martell as a D1 QB. He simply is not a Power Five caliber QB.
His OSU stats:

Passing:

23 of 28 (83.1%) for 269 yards. 9.6 yards per throw. 1TD 0 Ints Long of 51 yards. 174.6 passer rating.

Rushing:

22 rushes for 128 yards. 5.8 ypc. 2 TDs. 47 yard long rush.

I dunno. Seems decent to me.

I came to the conclusion that Tate didn’t have it. Manny pursued him strong. When you go after someone in the portal for QB it’s not for depth purposes. They brought him in with all intentions to be the starting QB after competing. However, after hearing reports of him struggling then being relegated to 3rd string, I had a feeling that fbs p5 ball may have been overwhelming to him. And I initially wasn’t high on Perry or knew anything about JW. I felt that was a bad sign. Now as the season concludes I realize we don’t have a QB and I don’t expect TVD to be an immediate contributor (it’s hard for true freshmen, I tend to manage my expectations with freshmen).

I understand your frustration. However, it is what it is. We don’t have a QB. This is probably how LSU has felt for about the past 15 years. As for Tate, the kid just don’t have it. He doesn’t have the arm to play fbs and he isn’t fast enough to make plays with his feet vertically. The kid is quick but he may be best suited for FCS or D2. As for Perry, he’s a solid backup here. As for JW, I don’t know what happened. You can’t discredit 6 TDs but he may have to transfer to a g5 school or something. This kid looked great some games and was downright awful for about the half of the season. Maybe VT gave a blueprint to other teams. Either way, we don’t have a QB.

Advertisement
Back