ND/Wake postponed

Advertisement
They both have a bye on 10/3.

what I don’t understand beyond the decisions of just letting healthy people play football, is why can’t notre dame just have the 4 people who tested positive sit out?
It's not 4. 7 new players tested positive yesterday PLUS the ones who tested positive on Friday.
Combined with last week’s testing results, a total of 13 players are currently in isolation, with 10 in quarantine.

They are doing contact tracing now..

I don’t know the details of this, but assuming that it’s only six players between those who are infected AND the contact tracing sit-outs, why would you need to postpone the game?

You literally have a team with close to 100 players including scholarship and walkons.

At the very least even if you have 10 guys out, you’re going to have somewhere between 80 and 90 available bodies.

Have people play out of position, but play the fūcking game. 🤷🏽‍♂️

I thought it was six positive tests PLUS seven contract-tracing quarantines.

I don't know that Notre Dame has "close to 100 players" including walk-ons. They aren't Nebraska.

But I would LOVE to see Notre Dame forced to play a bunch of Rudy's.

PS, even my old numbers are wrong. 13 positive tests PLUS 10 contract-tracing quarantines. That's 23 down.

I don't know that Notre Dame has "close to 100 players" including walk-ons. They aren't Nebraska.

no. 7 new positives PLUS the ones from last week.

Advertisement
I thought as long as you met the positional requirements, you play?

Unless those requirements have already failed, why cancel the game so early?

From their board:

13 players in self-isolation.
10 in quarantine.

Contact tracing in process

OK, maybe this is just quibbling about details (since the numbers are close), but I read 13 in "isolation" (which I thought was the treatment for a "positive test"), and 10 in quarantine (which I thought was the precaution for "came into contact/contact-tracing").

If I'm wrong on that, I would certainly correct any statement I've made in error, but it sounds like a combo platter of positive tests AND exposure.

Advertisement

23 is 23.

Miami barely gets to 85 guys INCLUDING walk-ons who have any shot at all of seeing the field.

That's 25% of the team.

You might be able to field enough WRs or DLs, but there were some specific positional rules (center, QB) that might become problematic when you lose 25% of ANY team.

Not cancelled, postponed.

And October 3 is a week-and-a-half away (both Wake and ND have 10/3 as an open date).

Seems reasonable, particularly if ND can get back the "quarantine" kids who are only being held out as a precaution right now (assuming the reason is due to "exposure" to someone with Covid).

Advertisement

PS, even my old numbers are wrong. 13 positive tests PLUS 10 contract-tracing quarantines. That's 23 down.

P5 schools have in the ballpark of that many players available . maybe not a hundred , but somewhere near that number - think about it, seventy plus something or even eighty active scholarship players , and usually at least fifteen to twenty walkons .

From further posts I have read it sounds like maybe there might be 20 or more, so that would probably be a tough nut to crack, but sorry, generally, if it’s less than 15, I think they should play unless you have basically your entire offensive or defensive line out. Those would be my exceptions. Or all 3 QBs.

Interesting - a possible scenario from their 247 people:

Until further notice, it's our understanding that the Notre Dame football facility is shut down from any team-related activities. I would expect them to pick back up either this weekend or Monday. It doesn't sound like they will be making up the Wake Forest game next weekend, although that could be a fluid situation, depending upon how the next five days go.

One possibility would be playing Wake Forest on Nov. 7, which is a bye week for the Demon Deacons, and moving the Notre Dame-Clemson game back to Nov. 14, whic
h currently is a bye week for Tigers. I think this is the most likely scenario.

Advertisement
Not cancelled, postponed.

And October 3 is a week-and-a-half away (both Wake and ND have 10/3 as an open date).

Seems reasonable, particularly if ND can get back the "quarantine" kids who are only being held out as a precaution right now (assuming the reason is due to "exposure" to someone with Covid).
I get it if the positional numbers don't add up. But 23 is just a number.

The reason I'm not as sympathetic to players being out, is because eventually these postponed will turn into cancels. We can't keep postponing everything over a few positives.

I get 23 is a lot. But if you can field a team, then we have to start doing that. If not, were gonna end up playing a 6 game schedule at this rate.

Like VT for example. They better be clean the rest of the year and hope their opponents are too, if not I doubt the reach the full amount of games.

They both have a bye on 10/3.

what I don’t understand beyond the decisions of just letting healthy people play football, is why can’t notre dame just have the 4 people who tested positive sit out?
Likely depends on what position, aside from the contact tracing. I think they said each team needs 7-8 OL, as an example. Obviously if it is only 4 people but it is 4 QBs, that would probably pose some issues.

One thing I would warn Miami fans about who are making plans to travel to the games this season is that we will need to be very flexible. Even if we don’t have any positive tests, if other schools need to postpone, they could easily shuffle us around. It sucks but it’s the truth of the matter.

Craziest year ever in the sports industry. No way all these games get played. I'm curious how tiebreakers etc will be determined if everyone can't play the same number of games.
1600806668127.png

Advertisement
Back