Myth Buster: Talent or Coaching?

Yeah, QB play has unfortunately been subpar. Brad Kaaya had an early favorable draft grade, but it shows the fallacy of early ratings. Todd McShay or one of the ESPN gurus projected a 1st round selection. Anyone with two eyes knew that was ridiculous. Love Kaaya, but lacked the athleticism & tools to play in today’s NFL.

True; but what Kaaya did excel in was out of The SG. Unfortunately, his flaws were on full display w/ Richt. He was sacked 18x as a TF, and only 16x as a Sophomore. His Junior Year? 25x. Richt’s scheme did Kaaya zero favors in hiding his greatest flaw; mobility. Long, slow developing plays + being under center = bye bye projected NFL grade.

Prior to Richt allowing Kaaya to just deal the rock after that 4 game losing streak, Kaaya was sacked 20x by week 8. He was sacked only 5x to end the last 5 games.

Advertisement
Brother it doesn’t matter if I pull this last 5 yr cluster; the cluster b4 that, or the cluster prior to that.

On paper, we’ve had the best team each Saturday against the far, greater majority of the teams we’ve played. No, we should not be competing w/ a Bama, UGA, or Clemson on a yearly basis, but there’s a specific reason y I highlighted Utah, Baylor, & TCU in this examination. Where do u think we would be if we flipped rosters? Do u think our record would be better if we had a bunch of lower 3 stars?
Truth. Dang, even Tulane would have kicked our *** last year 😒

Just with the OL additions this year, if we cant show significant improvement offensively.....

Season 9 Reaction GIF by The Office

Our leading receiver (WR) had 367 yards last season, almost 20% of which came from one play against Duke.
That ⬆️ WR stat is awful. Gattis 😡

Advertisement
Just show me what our players do in the league and that's all I need to see. To tell you what type of talent we had just go look at the NFL during our dominant years and during our trash years. And I will show you HCs that can lose to any team with lesser talent with that type of talent. I hated our staphs not only because of losses but because they couldn't bring real top end talent by the bulk (pause)

Ehhh; that’s a flawed point of view. Florida was notorious for putting bust in the NFL under Meyers, yet they won two titles with him.

OSU was notorious for putting subpar NFL players in to the NFL, particularly on offense under Tressel, yet they were dominating The B1G & CFB. LSU put out some real bust under Saban.

I can go on & one

Lot to read and digest there, excellent work. But if you want to make life easier on yourself just list what we have done right in the last 20 years, will save you hours on the next write up

Advertisement
Ehhh; that’s a flawed point of view. Florida was notorious for putting bust in the NFL under Meyers, yet they won two titles with him.

OSU was notorious for putting subpar NFL players in to the NFL, particularly on offense under Tressel, yet they were dominating The B1G & CFB. LSU put out some real bust under Saban.

I can go on & one
Thank you for pointing this out. Scheme has been extremely important in the college football landscape, especially over the course of the last 15+ years. It killed me that Florida won 2 NC's with that "gimmick" offense, but I have to give him credit for playing to his players strengths. He did this at Utah and OSU as well.

I'm excited to see our offense this year under Dawson. I know we don't necessarily have that stud receiver, and I don't think our offense will be earth shattering by all means. I do believe we will see major improvements in the passing game, mainly just based on the different and more passer friendly scheme than what we saw last year. Yeah, I know. I'm really going out on a limb here.

So yes, like you said, scheme matters.

I can go on & one
see Urban is special there are only few coaches who can change a team through play calling. Riley is one of them, those guys do not grow on trees. With Urban he can recruit at an elite clip as well he has the gift of both. But he couldnt out recruit Ole Nick. I wanted an elite recruiter as a HC not an and o guy if I had to choose. If we got both that would be amazing but they do not grow on trees. Mario has to do what Saban does recruit and let the and o guys call the plays and hopefully they are good at it.

Advertisement
Both sides of this classic argument has had great points, but I’ve always leaned towards coaching being the biggest issue over talent level, due to the points made and thoroughly brought out in this post.

The needed contextual factor between the talent vs coaching argument is development. Coaching and player development and retention.

And the #1 factor over both talent and coaching is CULTURE. The culture around and inside our football program has been rotten to the core. Poor culture trumps and nullifies every other factor involved. Culture is the most uniform or consistent overall message that’s being conveyed/taught and passed on (learned) as THE way of: thought, feeling, behaving, operation or function.

Bro, we have $8m invested/yr here. He’s going to be here regardless
Yup. 5 years minimum. So predicting he fails early really helps nothing. Unless you just want to do something else on a Saturday which is totally understandable.

Advertisement
great stuff brother

Nothing really to add other than this just highlights the frustration

We can nitpick and overanalyze as much as we want but the truth is we’ve been the most disappointing program in our conference for going on 20 years. Consistently recruiting more talent but not much to show for it despite a large sample size

Our blue chip rating is gonna go up under Mario it remains to see if this thing stays on a sliding scale or not. Like do we still have results under our recruiting it just happens to be relative? Or do we see evidence of coaches getting more from the talent?

Javion Cohen | Offensive Lineman | 6’4″, 305 lbs. | Fourth-Year Junior

image0-25-1024x682.jpeg

17. Seattle Seahawks – Walter Football

“The Seahawks have two talented, young tackles, but they could use some upgrades in the interior of the offensive line.

Javion Cohen showed great ability as a pass protector and run blocker.”

20. Jacksonville Jaguars – TheScore

“Cohen was a solid performer on the line at Alabama before opting to transfer to Miami this offseason. He heads north but stays in the state of Florida with the Jaguars opting to give Trevor Lawrence more protection on the offensive line.”

21. Carolina Panthers – 247Sports

“After picking Bryce Young this year, we gave the Panthers a receiver in the first pick here and then have them protecting Young on the second pick. Cohen, by some reports, was considered to be Alabama’s best offensive lineman by NFL scouts and is now with the Hurricanes after entering the portal.”

26. Green Bay Packers – YardBarker

“The Packers have had success with later-round draft choices on the offensive line in recent seasons, but could approach a prospect with higher upside in next year’s draft. Cohen goes into 2023 as one of the top interior line prospects in the college game after transferring from Alabama.”

Leonard Taylor III | Defensive Lineman | 6’3″, 305 lbs. | Junior
image0-29-1024x680.jpeg

8. New England Patriots – Sharp Football Analysis

“Taylor, a former five-star recruit, emerged as one of the nation’s most dominant interior pass-rushers as a true sophomore in 2022. His combination of strength and quickness is rare for an interior lineman.

Key stat to know about Leonard Taylor III 一 Generated a 13.9% pressure rate on the interior defensive line 一 among Power Five linemen, only Buccaneers first-round pick Calijah Kancey had a higher rate.”

15. Las Vegas Raiders – USA Today

“Scraping by on the interior with the likes of Jerry Tillery, Bilal Nichols and third-round rookie Byron Young likely will prove problematic for the Silver and Black. An ascending talent, the 6-3, 305-pound Taylor flashes impressive pass-rushing tools that should put him in high demand.”

17. Houston Texans – Pro Football Focus

“This past season, Taylor lived up to his top-10 recruit billing coming out of high school. His 19.5% pass-rush win rate and 16.2% pressure rate trailed only Calijah Kancey among Power Five interior defensive linemen. With an increased workload, Taylor could rise even higher than this.”

17. Seattle Seahawks – The Dallas Morning News

“High upside for this 300-pound lineman.”

17. New York Giants – DraftKings Nation

23. Los Angeles Chargers – The 33rd Team

“The Los Angeles Chargers did not address the defensive front in 2023, but in 2024, they turn the card in on Miami’s Leonard Taylor. Taylor is a disruptive player who has top-level movement skills for his size (6-foot-3, 305 pounds). He has natural hands and can unlock his hips with ease. Taylor plays hard and is not an easy player to control for four quarters.”

24. Denver Broncos – Windy City Gridiron

“In case you couldn’t tell, the 2024 draft could be loaded at defensive tackle! Taylor’s athletic ability for a 305-pounder is absurd, which can see him take reps outside as a 5-tech in some cases. He’s active with his hands, and though his play strength could improve, he offers tremendous interior pass-rushing value that could entice Denver here.”

28. Buffalo Bills – Bleacher Report

“The Buffalo Bills are set up for success for the next several years. They’re almost guaranteed to stay competitive with Josh Allen at quarterback and have plenty of talent on offense across the board.

The Bills also have a good combination of pass-rushers and coverage defenders, but free agency will determine their needs in 2024. They’re likely going to have a massive hole at defensive tackle.

DaQuan Jones, Ed Oliver and Tim Settle are all scheduled to become free agents next offseason, and Buffalo is expected to be nearly $24 million over the cap. That will make it difficult to bring back one of those guys, let alone all three.

The Bills may have to turn to the draft to address their defensive line, and Miami’s Leonard Taylor III would be a great option. He already has great size at 6’3″ and 305 pounds, and he’s racked up 19 tackles for loss in two seasons, including 8.5 in only six games in 2021.
Taylor’s combination of size and production would give Buffalo the disruptor in the middle of the defense that it’ll likely be looking for.”

30. Buffalo Bills – TheScore

“Taylor was a highly touted recruit while heading to Miami and began to deliver on that hype last season. He was one of the country’s most productive pass-rushers among interior linemen, getting pressure on almost 17% of his chances.”

Yup. 5 years minimum. So predicting he fails early really helps nothing. Unless you just want to do something else on a Saturday which is totally understandable.

Let me list my teams, bro:
-Blackhawks
-White Sox
-Bears
-Bulls
-Fire

U know what they all have in common? Heart breaks & aches. Lol. I’m fortified tough as a fan. I think we should have a much better season 2 than 1, but I’m just not jiving w/ the built in excuse of not having enough talent.

The irony of this statement is we have posters posturing in the Mega Conference thread about joining either the B1G or SEC. So if we don’t have enough talent in the ACC which is Clemson & the rest, how in tf will we fair in conferences that will have Bama, UGA, LSU, & OU or USC, a resurgent UCLA, Michigan, & OSU? Make it make sense. Lol.

Let me list my teams, bro:
-Blackhawks
-White Sox
-Bears
-Bulls
-Fire

U know what they all have in common? Heart breaks & aches. Lol. I’m fortified tough as a fan. I think we should have a much better season 2 than 1, but I’m just not jiving w/ the built in excuse of not having enough talent.

The irony of this statement is we have posters posturing in the Mega Conference thread about joining either the B1G or SEC. So if we don’t have enough talent in the ACC which is Clemson & the rest, how in tf will we fair in conferences that will have Bama, UGA, LSU, & OU or USC, a resurgent UCLA, Michigan, & OSU? Make it make sense. Lol.
What was your prediction when Mizzu and the Aggies joined the SEC? Was it Mizzu winning the East or the Aggies beating Bama? $EC ratings brings new recruiting budgets and recruits know they won’t be on Bali TV.

Advertisement
Back