Myth Buster: Talent or Coaching?

Advertisement
People keep trying to ignore me when I keep bringing up that EIGHT turnover **** we dropped against Duke.

EIGHT ******* TURNOVERS!?!?!

We never came together as a coaching staff or as a team. The coordinators weren’t good fits and egos became abrasive.

Regardless of talent, we play sloppy football with terrible fundamentals and we lack focus. There are locker room issues, but that stuff gets aggravated when you are performing well below your potential.

We keep talking about culture issues, but I have heard Mario say too many times That the guys were working hard and even said he could push this group before last season went belly up.

@Brooklyndee @Cribby @DMoney @JayCane20 is part of the problem that the guys say and do the right things when supervised, but aren’t as focused and dedicated on our own? Or are things truly rotten and he is trying to keep the mess in-house? It’s hard for me to believe the latter is the case because I can’t see a guy with Mario’s personality not showing more problem players the door.

The good news is, he hasn’t lost the team. Otherwise there would have been a mass exodus of starters. We have mostly lost guys who will never play here anyway, so the idea that they don’t want to play for Mario doesn’t hold water from what I see.

Most people don’t understand how vital and volatile the chemistry of a football team can be. I played on a team that went from state champs defeating the number 1 team in the country to being .500 just two years later with a similar talent level. Small things can snowball quickly and tear a team apart.

The transition for MARIO HIMSELF was tougher than we gave credit for. A cross country move from a successful team he loved to come home to a pressure cooker all while grieving his beloved mother.

I think Mario can do this. He has his faults, but he is still growing and most importantly, showing himself to be open to new ideas. Gattis and Steele aren’t bad coaches, but they were not what we need for where we are currently. Gattis needed more experience. Steele is a little harder to assess but he needed to be better too.

I like the direction with Dawson and Guidry. The early returns have looked solid and that is vital to building the trust we need to turn this thing around. We were not on the same page in 2022. If Mario can get us on the same page in 2023 playing focused, fundamental football, we can have a year as surprisingly successful as last year was surprisingly awful.

1. Good stuff Relly
2. Congrats on finding a good coke dealer to enable this masterpiece at 4am.
🤣… I thought the same thing initially but I think he’s 3 hours behind us. Still a late night but not as bad.

You look at our classes just going off blue chip rates it’s easy to conclude we should win 9/10 annually…but when you really dive into year after year we haven’t stacked talent at spots the right way. That’s how you get a 6’5 260 lb TF LT starting. Or having to play 3 TF LBs. Or having to start Brad Kaaya who showed up in fall camp. Under Mario we are gunna see roster building that makes sense year over year

I don’t think it’s out of the realm to look at our classes & the teams we play and conclude we should win 9/10 games annually.

OK, how does Harbaugh step in to a volatile situation like Michigan where fans, students, & alums gathered in front of the mutha fonky AD’s house demanding to fire Hoke, & be successful? He takes over a program that got drastically worst ever yr under his predecessor:

11-2 (yr 1)
8-5 (yr 2)
7-6 (yr 3)
5-7 (yr 4)

He takes over a roster that was composed of the 30th, 6th, 4th, 20th, & 37th ranked classes (for context during this time: we had 32nd, 10th, 15th, 13th, & 26th ranked classes). Yet, immediately he comes in & turns around a 5-7 roster and goes 10-3?

Bro, at a certain point coaching & development HAS to be held to a standard. It’s like it’s ground hogs day w every coach.

“Just wait til Coach A, B, C, D get their players.”

I agree w/ that premise, but any coach worth a **** can make the best of what they have & turn it around.

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s out of the realm to look at our classes & the teams we play and conclude we should win 9/10 games annually.

OK, how does Harbaugh step in to a volatile situation like Michigan where fans, students, & alums gathered in front of the mutha fonky AD’s house demanding to fire Hoke. He takes over a program that got drastically worst ever yr under his predecessor:

11-2 (yr 1)
8-5 (yr 2)
7-6 (yr 3)
5-7 (yr 4)

He takes over a roster that was composed of the 30th, 6th, 4th, 20th, & 37th ranked classes (for context during this time: we had 32nd, 10th, 15th, 13th, & 26th ranked classes). Yet, immediately he comes in & turns around a 5-7 roster and goes 10-3?

Bro, at a certain point coaching & development HAS to be held to a standard. It’s like it’s ground hogs day w every coach.

I agree w/ that premise, but any coach worth a **** can make the best of what they have & turn it around.
My thoughts exactly… what I saw MC try and do was make a roster that was built on “finesse” be a much more “physical” team. And they weren’t ready mentally or physically to meet that standard. He didn’t read the room imo… he should’ve coached them to their strengths at the time and get the most out of what they were. Not try to force them into being something other than they were.

Advertisement
Our wr core has no elite first round type dude. That's cause they just can't convince a kid. Right now for db Deon would and already bodied MC. And for wr Hartline runs his sh. It ain't scheme cause Deon hasn't done sh it's his charisma and relationship building. Hartline is the same he just got a gift to be able to get a kid. Does he say scheme in his pitch? Yea he does. But he has to do more than that and he does it. He's gotta be charismatic asf to land all those kids. It's just the facts. We had no scheme that was secxy for OL and we landed the best OL class in America. So what was the pitch? I coached a kid at Oregon who was already elite coming in? What's the pitch for the OL? "We pushed people around last season and went 5-7 you should be a part of that Mr honcho"

The pitch is that he's a rare OL as head coach, with an elite OL coach who have developed first rounders and built a crazy good line in Oregon.

That makes it a lot easier for a recruiter.

Hartline looks like some type of sales genius in OSU because their scheme is extremely WR friendly.

Talent and scheme go hand in hand, its definitely not a black and white argument.

You just saw us go from Lashlee to Gattis with the same players and really still don't think scheme matters at all? Like a little?

Miami is going to need some great scheme first before we get to championship level recruiting. There's just not enough production on paper in some places for these kids to continuously turn down the factories for us.

The pitch is that he's a rare OL as head coach, with an elite OL coach who have developed first rounders and built a crazy good line in Oregon.

That makes it a lot easier for a recruiter.

Hartline looks like some type of sales genius in OSU because their scheme is extremely WR friendly.

Talent and scheme go hand in hand, its definitely not a black and white argument.

You just saw us go from Lashlee to Gattis with the same players and really still don't think scheme matters at all? Like a little?

Miami is going to need some great scheme first before we get to championship level recruiting. There's just not enough production on paper in some places for these kids to continuously turn down the factories for us.
Yea scheme matters when it's that bad like Gattis. But they still got elite Offensive kids to verbal with him. So product doesn't mean u can't get kids. The reason we can't get wrs is Hartline not product. Kids say that in interviews but I don't believe that. The cameras on and they have to give a reason. We just went 5-7 worst record in awhile and got the best class we had in years. What more proof y'all need?

"Tough class loads and military requirement'???? Let's be honest, It's the Air Force. They don't even require haircuts.
The Academies aren't as strict as they used to be, and i understand the Air Force has changed A LOT since i was in. That being said, I stand by what I said because I know 1st hand. It's tough to get in academically. They do have a prep school that helps some with that, but the prep school grades don't carry over. They have military training and mandatory extracurricular requirements. 6 of the 9 weeks of summer, you are required to do military things, not football. They can't redshirt ( very rarely a medical RS will happen). They can't gain anyone in the portal. They cannot recruit many 300 LB dudes because a large percentage of the wing has to be pilot or navigator qualified. They've had some pretty good success for years and even had the nation's leading RB last season.

My thoughts exactly… what I saw MC try and do was make a roster that was built on “finesse” be a much more “physical” team. And they weren’t ready mentally or physically to meet that standard. He didn’t read the room imo… he should’ve coached them to their strengths at the time and get the most out of what they were. Not try to force them into being something other than they were.

I agree but he also has to start implementing his plan and find out who can cut it to begin roster turnover. All of this is a fine line most fans will overreact to one way or another on everything.

Advertisement

OK, how does Harbaugh step in to a volatile situation like Michigan where fans, students, & alums gathered in front of the mutha fonky AD’s house demanding to fire Hoke, & be successful? He takes over a program that got drastically worst ever yr under his predecessor:

11-2 (yr 1)
8-5 (yr 2)
7-6 (yr 3)
5-7 (yr 4)

. . . AND beat MTSU 🤢

People keep trying to ignore me when I keep bringing up that EIGHT turnover **** we dropped against Duke.

EIGHT ******* TURNOVERS!?!?!

We never came together as a coaching staff or as a team. The coordinators weren’t good fits and egos became abrasive.

Regardless of talent, we play sloppy football with terrible fundamentals and we lack focus. There are locker room issues, but that stuff gets aggravated when you are performing well below your potential.

We keep talking about culture issues, but I have heard Mario say too many times That the guys were working hard and even said he could push this group before last season went belly up.

@Brooklyndee @Cribby @DMoney @JayCane20 is part of the problem that the guys say and do the right things when supervised, but aren’t as focused and dedicated on our own? Or are things truly rotten and he is trying to keep the mess in-house? It’s hard for me to believe the latter is the case because I can’t see a guy with Mario’s personality not showing more problem players the door.

The good news is, he hasn’t lost the team. Otherwise there would have been a mass exodus of starters. We have mostly lost guys who will never play here anyway, so the idea that they don’t want to play for Mario doesn’t hold water from what I see.

Most people don’t understand how vital and volatile the chemistry of a football team can be. I played on a team that went from state champs defeating the number 1 team in the country to being .500 just two years later with a similar talent level. Small things can snowball quickly and tear a team apart.

The transition for MARIO HIMSELF was tougher than we gave credit for. A cross country move from a successful team he loved to come home to a pressure cooker all while grieving his beloved mother.

I think Mario can do this. He has his faults, but he is still growing and most importantly, showing himself to be open to new ideas. Gattis and Steele aren’t bad coaches, but they were not what we need for where we are currently. Gattis needed more experience. Steele is a little harder to assess but he needed to be better too.

I like the direction with Dawson and Guidry. The early returns have looked solid and that is vital to building the trust we need to turn this thing around. We were not on the same page in 2022. If Mario can get us on the same page in 2023 playing focused, fundamental football, we can have a year as surprisingly successful as last year was surprisingly awful.
I'm with you on this. I think the coordinator hires are very good until, and hopefully not, proven otherwise

I agree but he also has to start implementing his plan and find out who can cut it to begin roster turnover. All of this is a fine line most fans will overreact to one way or another on everything.
Of course they will… “When you try to please all, you please none”.

But he didn’t have the roster to do what he wanted. He tried to square peg a round hole. And I thought he’d know better.

He’s obviously on CIS and caved to the “right now” pressure, lol.

Advertisement

11-2 (yr 1)
8-5 (yr 2)
7-6 (yr 3)
5-7 (yr 4)

For 8 million a yr, I'd hope so....

Advertisement
We all know the recruiting services matrix is not some fool proof system, just like using analytics in sports; however, it’s the best guideline available in terms of rating talent w/o actually seeing hrs and hrs of film of each player.

U’ve hit the nail on the head regarding QB play. I mentioned this b4, but since 2003, we’ve only had two QBs drafted: Dorsey and Kaaya. However, one could argue coaching screwed up Brad. Kaaya had a favorable draft grade going into his Jr yr; statistically he had his best campaign under Richt, but that was due to Richt finally allowing Brad to rip the ball those last 5 games. Until then, it was a very conservative play calling, placing Kaaya under center many times, when his comfort level since HS was from the gun.
Yeah, QB play has unfortunately been subpar. Brad Kaaya had an early favorable draft grade, but it shows the fallacy of early ratings. Todd McShay or one of the ESPN gurus projected a 1st round selection. Anyone with two eyes knew that was ridiculous. Love Kaaya, but lacked the athleticism & tools to play in today’s NFL.

Of course they will… “When you try to please all, you please none”.

But he didn’t have the roster to do what he wanted. He tried to square peg a round hole. And I thought he’d know better.

He’s obviously on CIS and caved to the “right now” pressure, lol.

Really who knows what ultimately led to the decision. I could easily see and justify wanting to expedite that with the small portal + unlimited counter window available. Not saying that was the case, just something off the top of my head. I'm not absolving him of anything - 2022 was the worst season I can remember witnessing.

For the record, and u can verify this w/ both @TimeBum & @crossover22[]_[] I’ve defended Mario & tried to justify & reason upon the 2022 season to the best of my abilities, white knighting the chit out of this platform. However, what I’ve been noticing is this built in excuse in case next season is the same chit.

This “not enough talent” b.s have got to stop at a certain point. I feel in my plums that Mario can turn it around, but if I’m being frank, most of that is based upon fan-believe vs. a tangible fact.

We need to continue to stack talent to get to the mountain top, but in the ACC? Nah; we’ve had more than enough talent to win the Coastal more than once.

Last edited:
For the record, and u can verify this w/ both @TimeBum & @crossover22[]_[] that I’ve defended Mario & try to justify the 2022 season to the best of my abilities, white knighting the chit out of this platform. However, what I’ve been noticing is this built in excuse in case next season is the same chit.

This “not enough talent” b.s have got to stop at a certain point. I feel in my plums that Mario can turn it around, but if I’m being frank, most of that is based upon fan-believe vs. a tangible fact.

We need to continue to stack talent to get to the mountain top, but in the ACC? Nah; we’ve had more than enough talent to win the Coastal more than once.

Just with the OL additions this year, if we cant show significant improvement offensively.....

Season 9 Reaction GIF by The Office

Our leading receiver (WR) had 367 yards last season, almost 20% of which came from one play against Duke.

Advertisement
Back