Myth Buster: Talent or Coaching?

Rellyrell

Heisman Winner
Premium
⚠️ Lengthy Post‼️‼️ ⚠️

There’s a lot of myths that’s plagued our society: The Lockness Monster, Big Foot, Kim Kardashian’s *** being real; but, no myth has divided the CIS society into factions none other than the debate of Miami not having enough talent vs. coaching. This subject is as divisive as if Miami should have its own stadium, Miami is broke, & if Miller Lite is truly less filling or if it indeed taste great.

I wanted to examine this notion from several angles, looking at polar opposite ends of the spectrum regarding top tier programs who are flushed w/ talent (e.g Bama) and successful programs without the same caliber of talent (e.g Baylor) to see where we fall. I will also look at how we’ve faired when it comes to blue chip success, and finally I will take a look at how we compare to our contemporaries in the woeful ACC Coastal.

The starting point I’ll use is 2007; why? B/c in 2007, two seismic hires took place that changed two historic programs’ fate, Miami & Alabama.

BLUE CHIP ACQUISITION-

Let’s first examine 6 programs in regards to blue chip acquisition since 2007 - present: Alabama, UGA, Clemson, Utah, Baylor, & TCU. (Please note: I did not take into account player attrition for any program since it all washes it out, but I did take in consideration transfer-in from The Transfer Portal).

-Alabama: 342 blue chip players (71 Five-Stars)
-UGA: 268 blue chip players (54 Five-Stars)
-Clemson: 188 blue chip players (28 Five-Stars)
-TCU: 58 blue chip players (1 Five-Star)
-Baylor: 41 blue chip players (2 Five-Stars)
-Utah: 37 blue chip players

How does Miami compare? 179 blue chip players (12 Five-Stars).

Conclusion on talent acquisition: While we have not hoarded the same amount of blue chip talent as three of the most dominant programs since 2007, it was interesting to see how we’ve been fairly on par w/ Clemson in regards to acquiring total blue chips during this time frame.

With that being said, let’s see what we’ve done with such acquisitions, comparably, with the draft (to gage why we may struggle to get high end blue chips to consistently consider us).

THE DRAFT (I’ll only focus on the top 3 teams compared to Miami in this exercise, since we love to blame bags for everything as an excuse)-

*The classes of 2007-2020 are the only ones that have been drafted or draft eligible since 2010-2023.*
-Bama had 259 blue chips (50 Five-Stars)
-UGA had 202 blue chips (40 Five-Stars)
-Clemson had 142 blue chips (22 Five-Stars)
-Miami had 132 blue chips (7 Five-Stars)

-Bama:
38% of Bama’s total blue chips were drafted (99)
68% of their 5* were drafted
72% of Bama’s drafted blue chips were in the first 3 rounds

-UGA:
33.6% of UGA’s total blue chips were drafted (68)
67.5% of their 5* were drafted
48.5% of UGA’s drafted blue chips were in the first 3 rounds

-Clemson:
31.6% of Clemson’s total blue chips were drafted (45)
77% of their 5* were drafted
60% of Clemson’s drafted blue chips were in the first 3 rounds

Miami:
28% of Miami’s blue chips drafted (27)
86% of our 5* were drafted
32% of our drafted blue chips were in the first 3 rounds

Conclusion on The NFL Drafts: This could explain why high end players are not beating down our doors with consistency; the blue chip players we’ve acquired, we’ve done far less in not only getting them drafted, but the draft position for our blue chips have been well below sub-par.

RECORDS SINCE 2007 (Let’s deep dive in the notion of talent vs. coaching)-

-Bama: 194-27
-Clemson: 173-46
-UGA: 166-49
-TCU: 142-63
-Utah: 138-64
-Baylor: 114-88

Miami? 116-84

In this example, Miami has the 6th worst record out of two polar opposite ends of the spectrum. We can reason why Miami would have a worst record than Bama, UGA, & Clemson due to a talent discrepancy, but Utah, and TCU??
-We’ve acquired 300% more blue chips than TCU
-We’ve acquired almost 500% more blue chips than Utah
-We’ve acquired about 430% more blue chips than Baylor;

Yet, since 2007:
-TCU has won 10+ games 8x (including 4 Conference Titles, 9 bowl games {3 NY6 bowls}).
-Utah has won 10+ games 7x, (including 3 Conference Titles, 10 bowl games {1 NY6 bowl})
-Baylor has won 10+ games 5x (including 3 Conference Titles, 6 bowl games {1 NY6 bowl})

Miami? One 10 win season, and one bowl victory since 2007.

Utah, TCU, & Baylor are also doing this as under dogs, having far less talent than the likes of USC, Oregon, Texas, Oklahoma or equal talent as the likes of UCLA, Washington, Iowa St, & OK St. Which brings me to

THE ACC COASTAL AND HOW WE COMPARE-

Unlike TCU, Utah, & Baylor, we’ve out recruited every single team in our division since 2007.

Blue Chip Acquisition during that time:
-UNC: 107 (6 Five-Stars)
-VT: 69 (2 Five-Stars)
-UVA: 35 (2 Five-Stars)
-GT: 33
-Pitt: 25 (since joining the ACC in 2013)
-Duke: 11

Yet, here’s our record against said opponents:
UNC: 6-10
VT: 9-7
UVA: 9-7
GT: 10-5
Pitt: 7-3
Duke: 12-4

So is this a talent issue, or have something else been going on?

Final Conclusion: Yes, we have experienced a plethora of attrition; however, if u compare our attrition and stack the remaining roster talent/season to the majority of the teams we’ve faced annually, on paper, we’ve still had more than enough talent.

The NFL draft agrees with that assessment:
Since 2007-
-Miami: 57 Players Drafted (19 in first 3 rounds)
-UNC: 43 Players Drafted (20 in first 3 rounds)
-VT: 34 Players Drafted (11 in first 3 rounds)
-Pitt: 29 Players Drafted (7 in the first 3 rounds)
-GT: 19 Players Drafted (4 in the first 3 rounds)
-Duke: 9 Players Drafted (2 in the first 3 rounds)

Imo, the fate of Miami’s program is all cumulative. It’s not a coincidence that programs like Baylor, Utah, & TCU have thrived in a CFB world filled w/ handlers, w/ big fish choosing bigger programs; that’s coaching. Then again, it shouldn’t surprise anyone that programs like Bama, UGA, & Clemson are thriving w/ the shear amount of 5 stars & blue chips they’ve acquired; we can say that’s talent.

With Miami, we’re neither Bama-esque nor Utah-esque when it comes to talent or coaching. We should have enough talent to be a perennial 10 win team + winning the division (which is no longer an option), but the coaching has been putrid.

Every top program I’ve studied all have one thing in common: dedication and commitment from the top-down. With Miami, we’ve seen apathy from the admin, lazy hires filled with cronyism and nepotism, and a lack of semblance both at the AD and coaching levels. To constantly hide behind the theory of “Miami doesn’t have talent or enough talent” is foolish and disingenuous. Once upon a time, I believed that, but when I see other programs filled w/ non blue chip caliber rosters, taking down much tougher opponents, it puts things into perspective.

The hardest thing for anyone to do is face truth b/c it hurts. The NFL draft is a reminder that the program has some work to do, but with this renewed dedication, it shouldn’t take 5 yrs. There’s too many past and current examples showing that a turn around can be done in two yrs. Hopefully moving forwards, we’ll have a definitive answer vs. a theory of talent vs. coaching; I’m of the opinion we’ll have both, but this season will give me an even more definitive answer one way or another.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Good post.... I've always believed you need a combination of both to win...
As far as why it doesn't work at times ,well, again it's both... Sometimes the Coaching is subpar and at times the talent falls behind... Finding that happy medium is not easy...
There's so many things involved in the "Why"...
As we know it's way easier to pick things apart when it doesn't work... Everyone has the answer... .. lol

Great post as always.

I haven’t done as much research as u but looking at those numbers and just thinking from an eye test standpoint i think from 07 to maybe like until ritch got here I always thought we had more than enough talent to be at least successful on the level of the teams u listed like tcu baylor etc but the coaching and administration were terrible but post ritch imo i think the talent took a hit and got worse n worse (especially local) because of the pre ritch era of us heavily underachieving with the talent we got.

*Basically 07-16 coaching issue 16-22 talent issue, not saying the coaching was good after 16 just what was the biggest issue for that time imo*

That led to years like last year where our only pick was a 7th rd dt, i think mario mentioned it being the worst it has ever been. But in the future I know for sure mario will get talent here, we need him to maximize what he gets in these early years(3) so then with that steady improvement and success we can be a major program by year 6. I have doubts but i also have no problem waiting lol as long as i know its going in the right direction

Last edited:
great analysis! If the coaching and development sucks you can't blame players for not trusting thier future and potential fortune to them.

Advertisement
Just show me what our players do in the league and that's all I need to see. To tell you what type of talent we had just go look at the NFL during our dominant years and during our trash years. And I will show you HCs that can lose to any team with lesser talent with that type of talent. I hated our staphs not only because of losses but because they couldn't bring real top end talent by the bulk (pause)

Last edited:
Our 116-84 record over the last 15 years tells me we’re below .500 vs our p5 opponents.

We’ve obviously lost to a lot of teams who’ve had less ‘talent’ than we’ve had.
That’s on the coaches.
We’ve also lost to teams over the years who’ve had sh1tier coaches than we’ve had.
That’s on the players.

No one skates.

Advertisement
Conclusion on talent acquisition: While we have not hoarded the same amount of blue chip talent as three of the most dominant programs since 2007, it was interesting to see how we’ve been fairly on par w/ Clemson in regards to acquiring total blue chips during this time frame.
All blue chips aren’t created the same. Would be curious to see the average player rating of Clemson versus ours. They’re getting a lot more of the elite kids, whereas our rosters are more likely to have a few top 100 kids with mostly mid to low 4 stars sprinkled in.

But yea, coaching, culture setting, development and evaluation have all been major disadvantages here for the last two decades. Hopefully that changes over the next few years.

@Rellyrell one aspect that factors in here that I don’t know how you’d even quantify is evaluations. While on paper we have had some success at the “blue clip” factor, it’s my belief (or perception) that by and large (due to coaching and draft records) we’ve been signing 4 star guys other programs don’t covet as much. There are a few examples (Saban flying in for Gurvan etc) but not many dogfights. I’d argue all things considered the TCUs of the world are outperforming us because we’ve brought in poor blue chip evaluations star chasing vs truly identifying and projecting talent. From a fringe 4 star vs 3 star it comes down to player evaluation.

Last edited:
⚠️ Lengthy Post‼️‼️ ⚠️

There’s a lot of myths that’s plagued our society: The Lockness Monster, Big Foot, Kim Kardashian’s *** being real; but, no myth has divided the CIS society into factions none other than the debate of Miami not having enough talent vs. coaching. This subject is as divisive as if Miami should have its own stadium, Miami is broke, & if Miller Lite is truly less filling or if it indeed taste great.

I wanted to examine this notion from several angles, looking at polar opposite ends of the spectrum regarding top tier programs who are flushed w/ talent (e.g Bama) and successful programs without the same caliber of talent (e.g Baylor) to see where we fall. I will also look at how we’ve faired when it comes to blue chip success, and finally I will take a look at how we compare to our contemporaries in the woeful ACC Coastal.

The starting point I’ll use is 2007; why? B/c in 2007, two seismic hires took place that changed two historic programs’ fate, Miami & Alabama.

BLUE CHIP ACQUISITION-

Let’s first examine 6 programs in regards to blue chip acquisition since 2007 - present: Alabama, UGA, Clemson, Utah, Baylor, & TCU. (Please note: I did not take into account player attrition for any program since it all washes it out, but I did take in consideration transfer-in from The Transfer Portal).

With that being said, let’s see what we’ve done with such acquisitions, comparably, with the draft (to gage why we may struggle to get high end blue chips to consistently consider us).

THE DRAFT (I’ll only focus on the top 3 teams compared to Miami in this exercise, since we love to blame bags for everything as an excuse)-

*The classes of 2007-2020 are the only ones that have been drafted or draft eligible since 2010-2023.*

-Bama:

-UGA:

-Clemson:

Miami:

Conclusion on The NFL Drafts: This could explain why high end players are not beating down our doors with consistency; the blue chip players we’ve acquired, we’ve done far less in not only getting them drafted, but the draft position for our blue chips have well below sub-par.

Miami? 116-84

In this example, Miami has the 6th worst record out of two polar opposite ends of the spectrum. We can reason why Miami would have a worst record than Bama, UGA, & Clemson due to a talent discrepancy, but Utah, and TCU??

Yet, since 2007:
-TCU has won 10+ games 8x (including 4 Conference Titles, 9 bowl games {3 NY6 bowls}).
-Utah has won 10+ games 7x, (including 3 Conference Titles, 10 bowl games {1 NY6 bowl})
-Baylor has won 10+ games 5x (including 3 Conference Titles, 6 bowl games {1 NY6 bowl})

Utah, TCU, & Baylor are also doing this as under dogs, having far less than talent than the likes of USC, Oregon, Texas, Oklahoma or equal talent as the likes of UCLA, Washington, Iowa St, & OK St. Which brings me to

Unlike TCU, Utah, & Baylor, we’ve out recruited every single team in our division since 2007.

Final Conclusion: Yes, we have experienced a plethora of attrition; however, if u compare our attrition and stack the remaining roster talent/season to the majority of the teams we’ve faced annually, on paper, we’ve still had more than enough talent.

Since 2007-

Imo, the fate of Miami’s program is all cumulative. It’s not a coincidence that programs like Baylor, Utah, & TCU have thrived in a CFB world filled w/ handlers, w/ big fish choosing bigger programs; that’s coaching. Then again, it shouldn’t surprise anyone that programs like Bama, UGA, & Clemson are thriving w/ the shear amount of 5 stars & blue chips they’ve acquired; we can say that’s talent.

With Miami, we’re neither Bama-esque nor Utah-esque when it comes to talent or coaching. We should have enough talent to be a perennial 10 win team + winning the division (which is no longer an option), but the coaching has been putrid.

Every top program I’ve studied all have one thing in common: dedication and commitment from the top-down. With Miami, we’ve seen apathy from the admin, lazy hires filled with cronyism and nepotism, and a lack of semblance both at the AD and coaching levels. To constantly hide behind the theory of “Miami doesn’t have talent or enough talent” is foolish and disingenuous. Once upon a time, I believed that, but when I see other programs filled w/ non blue chip caliber rosters, taking down much tougher opponents, it puts things into perspective.

The hardest thing for anyone to do is face truth b/c it hurts. The NFL draft is a reminder that the program has some work to do, but with this renewed dedication, it shouldn’t take 5 yrs. There’s too many past and current examples showing that a turn around can be done in two yrs. Hopefully moving forwards, we’ll have a definitive answer vs. a theory of talent vs. coaching; I’m of the opinion we’ll have both, but this season will have give me an even more definitive answer one way or another.
Phenomenal post! You made a lot of great points and I agree with mostly all of it.

That first paragraph sent me into oblivion

:pgdead:

Spot on post… gotta have both.

Can either be slightly better than the other and still get you to the mountain top? Yes.

Can the disparity between the two be too big that it’ll keep you from getting there? Yes.

In my opinion… I think Lincoln Riley and Jim Harbaugh are two examples of that. Have they had teams who were talented enough to win titles? Yes. But they’ve been consistently out coached when it’s mattered most.

Advertisement
Not all 4stars are built the same. Not All 5star will be 1st rd picks either. These ratings systems do matter. That said the gap between a 4star talent and 3 star talent isn’t that far off when it comes to physical talent. That’s where evaluating comes into play. Along with culture & making sure these kids have all the tools, support and resources to maximize their physical ability..then it comes down to roster management to make sure the pieces fit and make sense. For example a kid like DJ Scaife played 10 years here out of position. A guy like Ivey probably needed 2 years stashed away before seeing the field on defense. The list of guys who definitely saw the field earlier than they probably should’ve is long at Miami & it’s been that way for a while. All in all we probably can say it’s one thing in particular. It all matters

247 team talent composite rankings had miami at 12th last year which was 2nd in the acc behind clemson who was 5th. This is where coaching comes in. Fsu had 52 3 stars on the roster. Tennessee had 56 3 stars. Ole miss 59, Ucla 50, Utah 65, Pitt 66, Tcu 60.

All those teams won 9 games or more and way over half their roster was 3 star guys. Yet us miami fans keep saying we need more talent to win 9 or 10 games a year. Yes to win a championship we do need way more but there is no reason why this program should be as bad as it’s has been for the last 20 years

All blue chips aren’t created the same. Would be curious to see the average player rating of Clemson versus ours. They’re getting a lot more of the elite kids, whereas our rosters are more likely to have a few top 100 kids with mostly mid to low 4 stars sprinkled in.

But yea, coaching, culture setting, development and evaluation have all been major disadvantages here for the last two decades. Hopefully that changes over the next few years.
Clemson average last year was 91.15 and Miami was 89.68. Clemson had 12 5 stars, 39 4 stars, and 29 3 stars. Miami had 2 5 stars, 44 4 stars, and 35 3 stars.

Advertisement
You look at our classes just going off blue chip rates it’s easy to conclude we should win 9/10 annually…but when you really dive into year after year we haven’t stacked talent at spots the right way. That’s how you get a 6’5 260 lb TF LT starting. Or having to play 3 TF LBs. Or having to start Brad Kaaya who showed up in fall camp. Under Mario we are gunna see roster building that makes sense year over year

@Rellyrell one aspect that factors in here that I don’t know how you’d even quantify is evaluations. While on paper we have had some success at the “blue clip” factor, it’s my belief (or perception) that by and large (due to coaching and draft records) we’ve been obtaining 4 star guys other program don’t covet as much. There are a few examples (Saban flying in for Gurvan etc) but not many dogfights. I’d argue all things considered the TCUs of the world are outperforming us because we’ve brought in poor blue chip evaluations star chasing vs truly identifying and projecting talent. From a fringe 4 star vs 3 star it comes down to player evaluation.
Development… we had too many, WAY too many guys who were either no better or slightly better in year 3 than they were as freshman. More than I’d like to count and many of them were starters… multi year starters.

⚠️ Lengthy Post‼️‼️ ⚠️

BLUE CHIP ACQUISITION-

-Bama:

-UGA:

-Clemson:

Miami:

Conclusion on The NFL Drafts: This could explain why high end players are not beating down our doors with consistency; the blue chip players we’ve acquired, we’ve done far less in not only getting them drafted, but the draft position for our blue chips have well below sub-par.

Miami? 116-84

Yet, since 2007:

Utah, TCU, & Baylor are also doing this as under dogs, having far less than talent than the likes of USC, Oregon, Texas, Oklahoma or equal talent as the likes of UCLA, Washington, Iowa St, & OK St. Which brings me to

Since 2007-

The hardest thing for anyone to do is face truth b/c it hurts. The NFL draft is a reminder that the program has some work to do, but with this renewed dedication, it shouldn’t take 5 yrs. There’s too many past and current examples showing that a turn around can be done in two yrs. Hopefully moving forwards, we’ll have a definitive answer vs. a theory of talent vs. coaching; I’m of the opinion we’ll have both, but this season will have give me an even more definitive answer one way or another.
analyze the last 5 years and you will see our talent has went to ****. we were still pulling in big classes with randy and golden.

247 team talent composite rankings had miami at 12th last year which was 2nd in the acc behind clemson who was 5th. This is where coaching comes in. Fsu had 52 3 stars on the roster. Tennessee had 56 3 stars. Ole miss 59, Ucla 50, Utah 65, Pitt 66, Tcu 60.

All those teams won 9 games or more and way over half their roster was 3 star guys. Yet us miami fans keep saying we need more talent to win 9 or 10 games a year. Yes to win a championship we do need way more but there is no reason why this program should be as bad as it’s has been for the last 20 years
Too bad football isn’t played with an injury off setting tho. If I’m not mistaken Texas, FLA, USC, Tenn etc etc have always looked good by 247 rating on paper. Neither has been winning like the 247 composite suggests they should be the past decade or so. You need your talent spread out throughout the roster and not concentrated at a few positions

Advertisement
Back