My thoughts on the class (long)

The Berrios and McKenzie all-star game stuff is funny because if I remember correctly you didn't even watch the game and got secondhand information from someone and came on here to verify, Wildcat.

I went back and watched it, guy. I saw enough to form my opinion.

So the kid with the torn ACL didn't look as explosive but made two big plays in the game. Ok.

Man, those plays were pedestrian. Stop. It's much different than McKenzie making the D-1 athletes down here look stupid on a regular basis.

Of course it is. He is doing it in south Florida. Catching TDs and picking up chunks on third down don't look as good because he didn't look as "explosive". Never mind that by the numbers Berrios is the better athlete.

There's some Under Armor drills (WR v DB) floating around on Youtube. Berrios absolutely EXPLODES off the line. He's the quickest guy there - and obviously it's a pretty highly rated group.

Advertisement
Mike Rumph and I talk every once and a while and last night we spoke for about 45 minutes about Miami and their recruiting. We talked about Dowels, McKenzie, etc etc etc.

On McKenzie, we both agreed that a kid who embarrasses legit South FLA high school talent on a regular basis should be offered. 5'8". 6'7". 4'5". I don't give a ****. You make an exception for some players, and McKenzie was the kind of athlete that you make an exception for.

On Dowels, Rumph said he's the best Corner he's ever seen, literally. He said that he's NEVER seen anyone cover McKenzie until Dowels got on campus, and Dowels didn't allow him to catch a single pass that whole week. His exact words were "****, I couldn't cover that kid in my prime." He said scouts would come to look at other kids and they would see Dowels and immediately pick up their cell phones to call their head coach. That's exactly how he got his Oklahoma offer. Scouts would say "Coach I never seen anybody play man coverage like this." Then he spoke about how Dowels basically dominated Winky Flowers and Durante in their game against Miami Jackson.

He said the same thing I've been saying for months, you offer those kids despite a lack of inches or pounds. On Dowels, you sacrifice 10 pounds so you can have the best cover Corner in South Florida. On McKenzie, you sacrifice his lack of size so you can sign the most explosive player in Broward County.

If that ****ery wasn't enough you can add the non-recruitment of Battle. Good enough for LSU but not good enough for Miami. Dowels = good enough for A&M, Clemson and Oklahoma but not good enough for Miami. McKenzie = good enough for ND, Florida and Georgia but not good enough for Miami. Scouts literally come down and here and say "Miami doesn't want you son? Well come onnnnn downnnn."

Rumph also told me that Miami rarely shows their face at Heritage, that's why his kids could give two ****s about that school. Take that for what it's worth. Yall keep on proceeding with your blind faith, meanwhile the best play-makers from South Florida are going elsewhere. Who wants the state leader in interceptions, the kid who blankets Ermon Lane's of the world, give me Ryan Mayes baby!

Major problem with posters like yourself and others is the immediate jump to the "blind faith" bull**** or "slurpers" and other crap because someone doesn't immediately take what you say as gospel and the clear answer. We must trust Golden and the staff with everything they do right? Why? Because we don't agree with you? Those can be two separate issues.

I asked questions concerning his recruitment because what happened doesn't make alot of sense unless the kid marches to the beat of his own drum. I don't really care about Dowels or McKenzie. They aren't the difference between Miami being average or great anyway. Maybe Valentine and other dominant DTs are but a WR and a CB aren't. You keep talking about Battle as if Hester wasn't signed. Who is the better safety? Hester or Battle. That can be debated. They didn't whiff at the safety position. They got what appears to be their top guy.

Not calling people slurper or anything, just saying that some of yall have blind faith and think that everything this staff does makes sense. ****, there's people way more qualified than us who don't even think that. Other coaches. LOL

You don't think LSU is looking at Miami like "WTF"?
You don't think Clemson, OU and A&M aren't looking at Miami like "WTF"?
How 'bout Georgia and Florida?

Or do you not trust the opinions and/or evaluations of those coaching staffs?

I've been coaching down here for years. I know first hand. I've met college coaches that giggle and shake their head at the fact that Miami isn't recruiting certain kids. They come down here and one of the first things they ask is "Miami isn't looking at him?" And when we tell them no they just shake their head because many of these coaches come from programs that are better than Miami or have beaten them recently.
Honest question, how many of these kids would get into Miami?

It looks to me, especially with this EE class, that Golden is recruiting a certain type of kid. After being burned on NSD last year he's not interested in borderline academic qualifiers who are going to silently commit to 3 schools UNLESS they're incredibly special.

I don't agree with that approach, but it's understandable. SoFl recruiting is an utter cesspool. Locking down the high character, hard working, kids makes sense as it then frees up your time for the divas.

I don't know why they didn't offer your boy - but every staff makes evaluation mistakes. Feel free to crow about him if he turns into a shutdown corner up in Syracuse.

Wildcat,

I know you said "basically" dominated Flowers and Durante. But any way you slice it Dowels didn't "dominate" anybody that night. Durante had 160 yards and a 80 yard TD on Dowels. Flowers was excellent as well.

Now, with that said, this by no means should be taken as a referendum on Dowels. I am no talent evaluator. I'll leave that to all the experts around here. But I was there that night and I've seen Durante play twice. Want.

If you were there then you weren't paying attention. Durante beat Dowels on a double-move, which he ran because he couldn't get open otherwise. Other than that, Dowels picked off Flowers once and almost picked him off another 2 times. He was a blanket when he was on Durante.

That was probably his best game of the season and he was clearly the best defensive player on the field in that game. I've watched it on Hudl twice cause I marked the highlights for him.

Last edited:
Major problem with posters like yourself and others is the immediate jump to the "blind faith" bull**** or "slurpers" and other crap because someone doesn't immediately take what you say as gospel and the clear answer. We must trust Golden and the staff with everything they do right? Why? Because we don't agree with you? Those can be two separate issues.

I asked questions concerning his recruitment because what happened doesn't make alot of sense unless the kid marches to the beat of his own drum. I don't really care about Dowels or McKenzie. They aren't the difference between Miami being average or great anyway. Maybe Valentine and other dominant DTs are but a WR and a CB aren't. You keep talking about Battle as if Hester wasn't signed. Who is the better safety? Hester or Battle. That can be debated. They didn't whiff at the safety position. They got what appears to be their top guy.

Not calling people slurper or anything, just saying that some of yall have blind faith and think that everything this staff does makes sense. ****, there's people way more qualified than us who don't even think that. Other coaches. LOL

I've been coaching down here for years. I know first hand. I've met college coaches that giggle and shake their head at the fact that Miami isn't recruiting certain kids. They come down here and one of the first things they ask is "Miami isn't looking at him?" And when we tell them no they just shake their head because many of these coaches come from programs that are better than Miami or have beaten them recently.

Yeah well what was Miami saying when they snatched Kaaya from the west coast? Probably saying the same thing. We'll see what Courtel Jenkins becomes but when teams like Penn State and Ohio State are sniffing around later in the process then maybe Miami stole one away there. It goes both ways.

Florida shouldn't be saying ****, considering they got beat. A&M lost just as many games and played defense just as poorly. They're a college football legend away from being the also-rans they've been for the last 15 years.

Difference is...

Kaaya had offers from USC and UCLA. How could Miami say the same thing? His local schools wanted him. He wasn't ****in' ignored by his local programs like the kids I'm speaking of in South Florida.

Are you not following the point I'm trying to make?

There are 5000 kids in south florida. Is someone going to ***** when we offer the 3 kids you know and don't offer 3 other s florida kids? Probably if we got the 3 guys you like, Luke or some other guy who thinks he can recruit better than our coaches will be complaining that we didn't take Mayes... maybe our coaches were rubbed the wrong way by something, maybe they are stupid, but its not like our whole class is players from out of state. I mean seriously....

If we signed 24 guys all from BTW, STA, and Miami Central, there would still be some guy on here complaining that we also signed a player from jersey.

Who gives a **** what Luke or any of those guys think about Mayes? Yeah, they probably would be upset if Miami didn't offer Mayes but most those urban school coaches are ultimate cheerleaders. They think Miami should offer all their kids. They're not objective.

We're talking about several kids who were the top players in South Florida. We're talking about a human joystick, a Sean Taylor clone and the state leader in interceptions. We're not talking about Ryan Mayes or Dennis Turner. We're talking about kids who had offers from schools that would mop the floor with Miami.

Mike Rumph and I talk every once and a while and last night we spoke for about 45 minutes about Miami and their recruiting. We talked about Dowels, McKenzie, etc etc etc.

On McKenzie, we both agreed that a kid who embarrasses legit South FLA high school talent on a regular basis should be offered. 5'8". 6'7". 4'5". I don't give a ****. You make an exception for some players, and McKenzie was the kind of athlete that you make an exception for.

On Dowels, Rumph said he's the best Corner he's ever seen, literally. He said that he's NEVER seen anyone cover McKenzie until Dowels got on campus, and Dowels didn't allow him to catch a single pass that whole week. His exact words were "****, I couldn't cover that kid in my prime." He said scouts would come to look at other kids and they would see Dowels and immediately pick up their cell phones to call their head coach. That's exactly how he got his Oklahoma offer. Scouts would say "Coach I never seen anybody play man coverage like this." Then he spoke about how Dowels basically dominated Winky Flowers and Durante in their game against Miami Jackson.

He said the same thing I've been saying for months, you offer those kids despite a lack of inches or pounds. On Dowels, you sacrifice 10 pounds so you can have the best cover Corner in South Florida. On McKenzie, you sacrifice his lack of size so you can sign the most explosive player in Broward County.

If that ****ery wasn't enough you can add the non-recruitment of Battle. Good enough for LSU but not good enough for Miami. Dowels = good enough for A&M, Clemson and Oklahoma but not good enough for Miami. McKenzie = good enough for ND, Florida and Georgia but not good enough for Miami. Scouts literally come down and here and say "Miami doesn't want you son? Well come onnnnn downnnn."

Rumph also told me that Miami rarely shows their face at Heritage, that's why his kids could give two ****s about that school. Take that for what it's worth. Yall keep on proceeding with your blind faith, meanwhile the best play-makers from South Florida are going elsewhere. Who wants the state leader in interceptions, the kid who blankets Ermon Lane's of the world, give me Ryan Mayes baby!

Honest question, how many of these kids would get into Miami?

It looks to me, especially with this EE class, that Golden is recruiting a certain type of kid. After being burned on NSD last year he's not interested in borderline academic qualifiers who are going to silently commit to 3 schools UNLESS they're incredibly special.

I don't agree with that approach, but it's understandable. SoFl recruiting is an utter cesspool. Locking down the high character, hard working, kids makes sense as it then frees up your time for the divas.

I don't know why they didn't offer your boy - but every staff makes evaluation mistakes. Feel free to crow about him if he turns into a shutdown corner up in Syracuse.

Why wait? I'll crow about Fabian Moreau right now.

Advertisement

Yeah well what was Miami saying when they snatched Kaaya from the west coast? Probably saying the same thing. We'll see what Courtel Jenkins becomes but when teams like Penn State and Ohio State are sniffing around later in the process then maybe Miami stole one away there. It goes both ways.

Florida shouldn't be saying ****, considering they got beat. A&M lost just as many games and played defense just as poorly. They're a college football legend away from being the also-rans they've been for the last 15 years.

Difference is...

Kaaya had offers from USC and UCLA. How could Miami say the same thing? His local schools wanted him. He wasn't ****in' ignored by his local programs like the kids I'm speaking of in South Florida.

Are you not following the point I'm trying to make?

There are 5000 kids in south florida. Is someone going to **** when we offer the 3 kids you know and don't offer 3 other s florida kids? Probably if we got the 3 guys you like, Luke or some other guy who thinks he can recruit better than our coaches will be complaining that we didn't take Mayes... maybe our coaches were rubbed the wrong way by something, maybe they are stupid, but its not like our whole class is players from out of state. I mean seriously....

If we signed 24 guys all from BTW, STA, and Miami Central, there would still be some guy on here complaining that we also signed a player from jersey.

Who gives a **** what Luke or any of those guys think about Mayes? Yeah, they probably would be upset if Miami didn't offer Mayes but most those urban school coaches are ultimate cheerleaders. They think Miami should offer all their kids. They're not objective.

We're talking about several kids who were the top players in South Florida. We're talking about a human joystick, a Sean Taylor clone and the state leader in interceptions. We're not talking about Ryan Mayes or Dennis Turner. We're talking about kids who had offers from schools that would mop the floor with Miami.

You keep talking about Mayes like he was the reason why other guys didn't get offers. Mayes is probably Gunter's replacement as their big corner. Now John Battle is a Sean Taylor clone as well. They wanted Hester over Battle. You've said you'd take the Florida safety over the Jersey safety and it is because the bias you have for south Florida competition and "LSU would kick our ***" so they must be right. Never mind that Ohio State and Michigan State would kick Miami's *** too and they wanted Hester.

Last edited:
Wildcat: Apologize if already addressed, but why does it appear that we have little presence at Heritage? The coaches from Norland and Columbus recently claimed in the Herald that Miami is constantly in communication with them and have done a great job being present at that school notwithstanding that neither had high-level talent this year. So why is Golden & co. ignoring Heritage? I mean, if they do a good job communicating with some South Florida schools, why not with all of them (particularly considering the amount of talent at Heritage and Rumph's connections)?

Wildcat,

I know you said "basically" dominated Flowers and Durante. But any way you slice it Dowels didn't "dominate" anybody that night. Durante had 160 yards and a 80 yard TD on Dowels. Flowers was excellent as well.

Now, with that said, this by no means should be taken as a referendum on Dowels. I am no talent evaluator. I'll leave that to all the experts around here. But I was there that night and I've seen Durante play twice. Want.

If you were there then you weren't paying attention. Durante beat Dowels on a double-move, which he ran because he couldn't get open otherwise. Other than that, Dowels picked off Flowers once and almost picked him off another 2 times. He was a blanket when he was on Durante.

That was probably his best game of the season and he was clearly the best defensive player on the field in that game. I've watched it on Hudl twice cause I marked the highlights for him.

LOL! OK he dominated.

Advertisement
The NJ school system is 10x better than in Florida, and you can't be an NCAA qualifier from there without having taken the core classes Miami requires.

That's what half these SoFla enthusiast don't understand. Florida has some of the worst HS in America... with SoFla being the worst of the worst. Valentine wasn't getting in here. Neither was Kirkland. Neither was McKenzie. Spare me the ND talk.. He wasn't getting in there either. We've tried with kids like Leggett & Grooms. How did that work out?

Wildcat,

Now, with that said, this by no means should be taken as a referendum on Dowels. I aum no talent evaluator. I'll leave that to all the experts around here. But I was there that night and I've seen Durante play twice. Want.

LOL! OK he dominated.

Eye in the sky don't lie, homeboy. Watch the tape. Jackson is all over Dowels highlights.

Last edited:
Wildcat: Apologize if already addressed, but why does it appear that we have little presence at Heritage? The coaches from Norland and Columbus recently claimed in the Herald that Miami is constantly in communication with them and have done a great job being present at that school notwithstanding that neither had high-level talent this year. So why is Golden & co. ignoring Heritage? I mean, if they do a good job communicating with some South Florida schools, why not with all of them (particularly considering the amount of talent at Heritage and Rumph's connections)?

Don't know. Maybe Rumph is blowing it up a little and it's not true. No clue, just repeating what he said.

Advertisement
Why do these so fla coaches get so sensitive its a bunch of females down there i live in the mecca of cbb "handlers" crooked these coaches in north jersey ny dont get like females when a kid dont get and offer? I dont get it these coaches have to man up in s fla

Why do these so fla coaches get so sensitive its a bunch of females down there i live in the mecca of cbb "handlers" crooked these coaches in north jersey ny dont get like females when a kid dont get and offer? I dont get it these coaches have to man up in s fla

Shut your dumb *** up.

Advertisement

Ive found this highly curious too. And its not just Columbus or Norland. They are at many programs all the time. Yet have clearly kept their distance from Heritage for some reason. It wasnt just Rumph's comments either. My guess, and its pure speculation, is that maybe there are some characters hanging around that program that Um is leery of. Im not talking about the staff itself, but maybe some handlers, or other types. Its clear UM was steering clear of Champagnat for the most part too, based on Tunsil's own comments, and the rumors of Donofrio basically not liking that program, and maybe even telling kids to stay away from it.

PURE speculation here, but I get the sense that the staff stays away from programs that it may consider troublesome. I have NO reason to suggest there is anything going on at Heritage, it could be something as simple as some hanger ons around the program that the staff doesnt like, but with all the talent at the school, and current and former UM recruits, and a former Cane coaching there, that the staff is obviously keeping some distance from it, sure seems odd.

Shut your dumb *** up.
Some Canes fans are a bunch of high horse riding ******s. Perfect example JerzeyCane32

Wildcat,

Now, with that said, this by no means should be taken as a referendum on Dowels. I aum no talent evaluator. I'll leave that to all the experts around here. But I was there that night and I've seen Durante play twice. Want.

LOL! OK he dominated.

Eye in the sky don't lie, homeboy. Watch the tape. Jackson is all over Dowels highlights.

He played well. He didn't dominate. Or maybe we have much different definitions of dominate. IMO, no matter how you slice it, if your man puts up 160 and TD on you, you didn't dominate.

Any way, carry on. The argument is silly any way.

Nva cane your a perfect example of the new school ***** cane fan who cares more about the people we didnt get than the ones we did pathetic

Advertisement
Back