My thoughts on the class (long)

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
There are two schools of thought with this recruiting class.

One group is disappointed because they know what this class could have been. These fans have lost faith in the staff’s ability to coach, so they believe we need superstar classes to compete with the big boys.

The second group is happy about the kids we actually signed and doesn’t worry about the misses. These fans have full faith in Golden and believe it’s only a matter of time before Miami is back on top.

The truth, as always, is somewhere in the middle.

It’s impossible to ignore the mistakes that kept us from capitalizing on South Florida’s bumper crop. We lost head-to-head battles for Valentine, Sony, Cook, Dixon and Rudolph. Everybody has heard the money rumors, and there may be some truth there. But more often than not, these rumors come from highly competitive coaches who can’t admit defeat. We got beat on these guys.

We’re still stubborn on size. I thought we were done with this crap when Golden came in and offered Dallas Crawford. But this year, we turned down Juwon Dowels and Isaiah McKenzie simply because they were too small. That’s disappointing.

Brandon Powell’s defection was a total ***** up. No other way to put it.

We were clumsy in our QB recruiting after Kaaya. Before the season, I advocated offering Kaaya, Treon Harris and Winky Flowers. We ended up doing exactly that, except we waited too long to offer Treon and offered a similar out-of-state player (Rosier) instead of Winky. If we followed the right blueprint, we could’ve signed two of the best athletes in Miami.

We offered Ryan Mayes instead of taking a similar player (Quincy Wilson) with Canes blood and extensive connections to the local football community. Wilson is by no means a perfect prospect, but this move revealed two flaws in our approach: an inability to think big-picture and an overemphasis on the Golden Camp. We make too many decisions based on workouts in shirts and shorts.

Finally, the defensive scheme is the new “cloud.” High school coaches are talking about it and college coaches are using it against us. If the results don’t change, this will do even more damage than the NCAA ever could.

But even with all of these issues, I feel the same way that Coach Golden felt in his NSD press conference: confident and comfortable.

The word to describe this class is “healthy.” There is balance across the board. The two most important positions in football—quarterback and defensive line—are the strongest positions in the class. Kaaya is our biggest coup in years. We’ve accumulated a stable of talented and hungry pass-rushers. The offensive line is in terrific shape. Kiy Hester will provide safety depth right away, and Berrios will emerge as a Shockey-type fan favorite.

If Golden is the man for the job, he has enough to win with. If he’s not, the next guy will have a balanced roster without the gaping holes that Coker and Shannon left behind.

More than anything, I just love seeing kids like Demetrius Jackson and Trayon Gray shed tears for the colors. I don’t care if it’s corny. Last year was the roughest NSD in ages, but we will always remember Stacy Coley putting on the Swag hat. These guys will represent the Canes for the next few years and maybe the next decade in the pros. Forget about the coaches. That’s what this day is about.

Welcome to Miami, fellas. Let’s go get number six.

Advertisement
D money be like

199.gif

Can we get some clarity on exactly what happened with Powell, and why someone wasn't fired b.c. of it if it was a "***** up".

Btw, couldn't be more spot on about the camps thing. Camps are like the NFL draft, or the senior bowl. You know how talented a kid is by watching them play in actual games. Not workouts. Games show you all you'll need to know about athleticism, toughness, effort, intelligence, instincts, focus, leadership, and drive. They should be watching as many games as possible, and live. That's what Belichick does. For a guy who looks at the Parcells system as gospel, I'd like to see following more of his tenets than simply the 2 gap front.

The Wilson thing I don't agree with. For all the pied piper talk, none of his boys ended up where he was. If you don't think Wilson can play then don't even bother. We'll see if their wrong on that evaluation but for now Mayes at least appears to be kid who wants it. Did everything he could to be an EE. No guarantees in life, but I get the feeling Quincy and his father would've surely been a pain in the *** if he was stuck behind other players for a year or two.

Advertisement
Agreed on everything you said, but Im a bit more pessimistic about my overall feel for this class. We just simply let too many elite skill position guys leave this year. There were 3 elite WR's down here this year and 3 elite RB's. We went 1-6 (Yearby). IMO our WR is solid but lacks elite playmakers. Brady and Langham look like possession guys and Berrios is a slot guy. I dont see any truly game breaking explosiveness out of the group. Its also still sad that we cant more than one elite DT. I like Moten, but Valentine seems to be on another level. Overall I feel the same way about this class as I did about the 2013 class: I like the guys we signed but it could've been so much better. I dont thing we signed many JAG's today.

If Golden is the man for the job, he has enough to win with. If he’s not, the next guy will have a balanced roster without the gaping holes that Coker and Shannon left behind.

This is how I feel. Thanks for summing things up.

Bottom line is I don't think this is an "A" class at Miami, yet we got like 10 guys who I think have a better than 50% chance at being NFL players. Says a lot about our geographic advantage. Football is not getting less popular in inner city Miami.

The Wilson thing I don't agree with. For all the pied piper talk, none of his boys ended up where he was. If you don't think Wilson can play then don't even bother. We'll see if their wrong on that evaluation but for now Mayes at least appears to be kid who wants it. Did everything he could to be an EE. No guarantees in life, but I get the feeling Quincy and his father would've surely been a pain in the *** if he was stuck behind other players for a year or two.

Signing Wilson wasn't just about 2014. The South Florida Express isn't going anywhere. Big-time kids like Sam Bruce are already parroting anti-Miami talk. These kids won't necessarily follow Wilson, but I'd rather them hear Miami propaganda than Miami hate.

More than anything, I'm just not a Mayes fan. I don't understand offering him and turning our nose up at Wilson.

Signing Wilson wasn't just about 2014. The South Florida Express isn't going anywhere. Big-time kids like Sam Bruce are already parroting anti-Miami talk. These kids won't necessarily follow Wilson, but I'd rather them hear Miami propaganda than Miami hate.

More than anything, I'm just not a Mayes fan. I don't understand offering him and turning our nose up at Wilson.[/QUOTE]

Arrogance?

Advertisement

More than anything, I'm just not a Mayes fan. I don't understand offering him and turning our nose up at Wilson.

You mean another University School player has something to say? Not a shocking development. Wilson wants to play CB. If he was open to playing safety things would probably be different. He isn't, so he got no offer. What did Golden say about Mayes today? We'll start him out at CB but we might try him at safety. IF that was Wilson's attitude then he might be in this class. It wasn't so he isn't.

Winning shuts up propaganda. Quincy Wilson could run his mouth all he wanted if they won more games and looked good doing it. They fix the on-field product in a clearly winnable division and Wilson could use his redshirt year to talk **** on twitter any and every day and it wouldn't matter.

I'd take Mayes over Wilson

Even though I admit Mayes was a questionable take

D$ I know what your trying to say but Wilson is a punk imo. The crying and blasting a program on twitter is ridiculous. I dont other recruits doing that. So they didnt offer you. Your going to a great school. Life is ok why do you need to go blast UM because they dont like you as a player

Last edited:
Advertisement
Don't forget the Alin Edouard was a part of the weird QB situation late in this cycle.

You mean another University School player has something to say? Not a shocking development. Wilson wants to play CB. If he was open to playing safety things would probably be different. He isn't, so he got no offer. What did Golden say about Mayes today? We'll start him out at CB but we might try him at safety. IF that was Wilson's attitude then he might be in this class. It wasn't so he isn't.
You bring the kids in and figure it out. The treon situation was the same thing. Offer him at QB if he doesn't make it then move him. Same could have been done with Wilson or any other recruit.

Advertisement

You bring the kids in and figure it out. The treon situation was the same thing. Offer him at QB if he doesn't make it then move him. Same could have been done with Wilson or any other recruit.

Agreed on Treon and Flowers

Mckenzie is another miss

Wilson doesnt look like a Miami DB to me. BTW was roasting him. He disapeared in big games. Causey and Fair were the best DBs at U School imo

There are two schools of thought with this recruiting class.

One group is disappointed because they know what this class could have been. These fans have lost faith in the staff’s ability to coach, so they believe we need superstar classes to compete with the big boys.

The second group is happy about the kids we actually signed and doesn’t worry about the misses. These fans have full faith in Golden and believe it’s only a matter of time before Miami is back on top.

This is just dumb. The vast majority of us are firmly in the middle of these two groups. The same few people from each group posting 50,000 times a day doesn't mean that those are the only two groups.

If we're so stubborn on size, why did we sign Berrios? Kinda shoots down the McKenzie argument, no? And come on, Dowels? Offers from Rutgers, Utah, Appalachian State, NIU, and Cuse? That's the kind of kid that this and previous staffs have gotten murdered for signing in the past.

Are you suggesting that Miami coaches start the rumors of kids getting paid because they can't admit defeat? You lose all credibility with me if that's the case.

How was Powell's defection a total ***** up?

It's a little contradictory to say that QB is the strongest position in the class, but the QB recruiting was 'clumsy' (I happen to agree with the latter, although that has nothing to do with Flowers or Treon).

I agree with the rest.

When could it have been done? Before or after the *****ing and trashing in the summer started? Wilson isn't some can't miss prospect anyway. I think his influence is overstated as well. Win some ******* games and the Wilson's of the world will be begging to play here and you would be legitimately be able to tell him, "sorry we feel good about guys we have higher up our board". When a player is valued for the "intangibles" he might bring more than his actual game, I'll pass.

When could it have been done? Before or after the *****ing and trashing in the summer started? Wilson isn't some can't miss prospect anyway. I think his influence is overstated as well. Win some ******* games and the Wilson's of the world will be begging to play here and you would be legitimately be able to tell him, "sorry we feel good about guys we have higher up our board". When a player is valued for the "intangibles" he might bring more than his actual game, I'll pass.

With kids like Treon and Wilson, you also have to consider the parents. If their kid doesn't win PT, or is perceived to not have been given a fair shot, then the potential damage is far worse down the road than just passing on them to begin with.

Advertisement
Back