My Scrimmage Notes

954Cane'21

Recruit
Unfortunately the New Amsterdam kicked in at the end of the 2nd so I only transcripted the beginning of the game but these are my observations. Most of these are hot takes with a shameful lack of data for a data analytics major, but I had to write something down for you guys up north. For what they're worth enjoy:

1st Quarter
  • 10:08 Bad read Rosier, handed it off when the LB's went for the run
  • 9:39 Horrible drop D. Harris on sideline; went right through his hands
  • 8:46 N. Perry overthrow open reciever
  • 7:20 N. Perry threw a way overpowered bullet to Irvin who was 5 yds from him and he dropped it
  • 6:47 O line completely folds on 3&8
  • 5:40 J-williams wiggles out of pocket for gain of 8
  • 4:57 Pocket folds JW escapes and throws it way; veteran move
  • 2:57 T. Bandy lockdown coverage combined with bad throw from Perry
  • 1:30 R. Burns wide open in flat Kosi over throws
2nd Quarter
  • 13:20 JT 3yd catch extended it to 8yd gain
  • 11:16 Lingard hits one of the few seams of the day for 9 yds
  • 9:30-9:00 Lingard just running into pile no holes
  • 8:50 Rosier Touch pass to corner for touchdown
  • 8:37 G. Garvin sack
  • 7:49 Sack
  • 6:51 M. Rosier great pass to D. Harris right at eye level drop
  • 1:12 Rosier horrible read Dallas plugged up at line immediately
  • 1:00 J garvin sack
  • :34 B hightower laid out to catch Perry overthrow. Made Hightower look like a stud tho
General Player Notes
-Williams: Smart Ball Player, he had by far the best pocket presence. He slid out of the pocket several times and either threw it away before taking the sack or wiggled up the field for some yards. HE LOOKS HUGE. It wasn't hard to tell when Williams was in the pocket. Dwarfs Kosi in my opinion. The man is thicc. in the 2nd Q there were two slants run in a row (I think to Wiggins) where he put some serious heat on the ball and delivered it on the money. On JW's touchdown drive I really don't think Richt expected him to extend it as long as he did. It started on the opposite 15 making it the longest drive of the game. We saw scrambles, smart decisions in a bind, and what I liked most, he spread the ball around. He wasn't picking a single receiver but hitting whoever was open. Finished off the drive with a nice throw for the TD.

-Kosi: Counted 5 overthrows. Couple connected on the sidelines for good gains, but just too inconsistent. It was very concerning especially in the last 2-3 minutes how run first he was. There were 2-3 plays in a row where he was tucking the ball before the receivers made their first break in their routes. I get it was the last 2-3 minutes of a spring game but it's designed to simulate a real game, and he showed his instinct is to try to be superman and win with his legs.

-Rosier: Alot of what we saw last year with a slight accuracy improvement. Made very conservative throws with a couple nice deep balls. I'm convinced Rosier is a Great game manager but that's all he is. he's not a guy that consistently wins games for your team simply because he's hit his ceiling. For those about to say "well what about FSU that's literally what he did." FSU's defense was hot garbage last year. Rosier made them look good. A better QB could have never even put us in the situation where the game had to be won in the last seconds.

Other Notes: Brian hightower, G. Fierson, and the whole defensive line stood out. Our Oline sucking probably helped, but today I saw no dropoff from last year especially in the DT's, and thats not even with Miller and Nesta. Frierson had a easy pick on a overthrow by Kosi in the endzone, but it was good to see the chain come out and see a freshman jacked up on the sideline. You could see a bucket list item checked off. Frierson also had a nasty blitz where he came flying off the edge for a sack. Idc if it was Joe thomas out there you weren't catching him. I could see him making a case for #2 corner. Robert Burns put on ALOT of weight. If you think DJ Dallas is big wait till you see burns. Made some nice dives where was able to push the pile with little Oline help. Gentleman we have a heartbeat. The long rumored 4-2-5/hybrid 4-3 showed it's head and I liked the POTENTIAL it showed. There definitely needs to be some more studying done to get some chalkboard stuff down but I think having the star/hybrid saftey in there will pay large dividends against pass heavy teams.

Conclusion: J Williams made his case, and he made it plainly. It's a Rosier/Williams conversation at this point. Williams looked like he was in another tier from the other two. You can just tell the dude is smart and a quick thinker. He really plays like a rs sophmore or junior rather than a true freshman. He stepped up in the pocket to avoid pressure, went through his reads, and only wiggled out as a last resort, but when he did he consistently found yards. If we played LSU next week he'd be my starter.

Ik the grammar police will hate, but thats my hot take.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Thank for the information. I'm not the least bit surprised about Williams. If we can stay healthy on defense we will be good and I mean very good. The RB's will be just fine as will the WR group. I'm also not going to trip out about the TEs because we have the 2 studs coming.

The OL however is a disaster at this point and they have their work cut out for them. If I'm Richt, I'm putting serious pressure on Searels to get results. Searels job is on the line this year IMO. The good news here is that there is talent here. They just need to gel together. In the interest of fairness it should be stated that this OL is going up against one of the most freakish DLs in the nation.

Back to the QB situation. I fully expect J Williams to win the job this Fall. The kid seems to be head and shoulders above Rosier and Perry in terms of processing information, pocket presence, and overall football IQ not to mention leadership skills. Gentlemen, say hello to the brand new QB of your Miami Hurricanes...Jarren Williams! Like I said before, I expect Williams to pull away for good during Fall practice.

Last edited:
Advertisement
those about to say "well what about FSU that's literally what he did." FSU's defense was hot garbage last year.

Good write up and I appreciate you observations and opinions.
However, If you think F$U's defense was hot garbage last year then the defenses we will face on our schedule in 2018 will all be nuclear waste combined with manure ***** with an atom bomb explosion type of garbage.

Rosier can beat every one of the teams on our schedule as long as he does not do dumb mistakes, the OL gets better, and our stable of Backs run the ball down opposing defenses throats early and often.

Well from what I can see Malik didn't turn the ball over under extreme pressure so he probably didn't make any enemies with the coaching staff. Nothing wrong with being a game manager if you have the right guys around you.

Williams should be put on fast track for the job.He showed quick decision making,pocket presence,leadership,ball handling skills ,and was never rattled when the preassure came.He is not only mentally better than the others but physically he has the better arm,legs,hand strength,and height with thickness.The most impressive trait he displayed was how good he was on third down conversions and decision making.He is the total package all he lacks is reps.

Advertisement
However, If you think F$U's defense was hot garbage last year then the defenses we will face on our schedule in 2018 will all be nuclear waste combined with manure ***** with an atom bomb explosion type of garbage.

Rosier can beat every one of the teams on our schedule as long as he does not do dumb mistakes, the OL gets better, and our stable of Backs run the ball down opposing defenses throats early and often.

So basically hope Rosier's a different QB. We also have realistic question marks about our Ol right now.

So basically hope Rosier's a different QB. We also have realistic question marks about our Ol right now.
I expect the whole team to be better this season with one more year of strength and conditioning and one more year within Richt's/ Diaz's systems.
He does not have to be a different QB. He just needs to progress as most players do in their second year as starter and their final season to prove themselves.

As for the OL problems I expected that weeks ago. Our D Line is solid and would make most OLs look bad. I expect things to get better the closer we get to fall and then face opposing defenses.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I expect the whole team to be better this season with one more year of strength and conditioning and one more year within Richt's/ Diaz's systems.
He does not have to be a different QB. He just needs to progress as mot players do in their second year as starter and their final season to prove themselves.

As for the OL problems I expected that weeks ago. Our D Line is solid and would make most OLs look bad. I expect things to get better the closer we get to fall and then face opposing defenses.

Rosier's in his 5th year and is 23 years old. Rosier has shown the same issues during the spring as he has last year. Rosier's not going to get much better. Williams and Perry on the other hand have a much higher ceiling to improve.

Rosier's in his 5th year and is 23 years old. Rosier has shown the same issues during the spring as he has last year. Rosier's not going to get much better. Williams and Perry on the other hand have a much higher ceiling to improve.
Rosier is a proven winner that led the team into the endzone more than any other QB in our history.
I am not going to sit here and say he is Russell Wilson but he does not have to be super accurate in order for us to win the key games on our schedule.

Kosi and Williams may be solid young players but we have not seen them play a down yet in a real game. Maybe we see it in Arlington. I will tip my cap to either one if they prove they should start. I just have my doubts.

Advertisement
A couple of things. 1. Defense generally gels before offense. I would be real concerned about our defense if the offense played well against them. I think Searels will be able to get the OL squared away and be at least on par with last seasons OL which ain’t saying much. While I think Rosier will start the season I do not think it will be the same situation as last year. I think you will see the young guys playing early this season to get them experience and I think if Rosier struggles he will be replaced. Ultimately I think Williams will be the back up by the time that LSU game roles around and could be the starter by the end of the year.

Lol if you believe this. Four teams on the schedule were ranked in the top 50 of total defense, seven in passing yards allowed.

Lol if you believe this. Four teams on the schedule were ranked in the top 50 of total defense, seven in passing yards allowed.
The returning Defenses we play in 2018 on paper do not scare me in any way. And I do not believe any of them are better than the F$U team he claims to be hot garbage.

I would have loved for the OL to get the best of the DL just to show that they were gamers. The fact that everyone had something bad to say is disheartening. Every unit on your team isn't going to be the best but the OL has to be solid if you are expecting to compete.

Advertisement
Back