My Scrimmage Notes

Williams is ready to take the job now, and will be even more ready by the end of August. He's simply that much better of a QB.
You are the only one that is so sure of this.
I have not heard anyone else say any of this with such apparent certainty. Especially when he has not even played/ practiced against our number one defense yet.

Advertisement
Everyone is quick to jump on Kosi but we forget he is still a true freshman in his first spring. He came from a backyard football spread offense in high school and is raw as ****. Nobody wants to accept it because for whatever reason Pete and Dmoney hyped him up prematurely. He needs time people.
He's been here a year. If he has anything about him he should be distancing himself from Rosier and the actual true freshman, Williams, in Spring.

You are the only one that is so sure of this.
I have not heard anyone else say any of this with such apparent certainty. Especially when he has not even played/ practiced against our number one defense yet.
I've never been much of a "new guy is the best guy" type of person. However, I am that sure of Williams. His ability, work ethic, size, just everything about him is head and shoulders above what our current starter is. The ONLY thing Rosier has on him is experience, but a 23 year old should have that on an 18 year old.

Here's the thing. When I watched Miami play last year, it looked like half the field was off limits to Rosier, as a redshirt junior. People cried about Richt's play calling, but it was clear from very early on that Rosier was just that limited. As the year progressed, the playbook opened a bit, and Rosier's completion % went down. Now, if Richt can simplify the O for a redshirt junior with limited ability, why not for an uber-talented youngster like Williams?

I think you have to take into account that Rosier already has put up some decent numbers and has a rapport with some of his WRs and Backs. IT may be easier for Richt to trust that he will take a little step forward than to start all over with a Frosh and hope that he can learn on the job with a dumbed down offense.
But once again, we will see if any of the young guys can prove that they are ready. As of right now I don't think anyone but yourself and maybe a hand full of others on this site believe that Williams is truly ready for LSU.

I think you have to take into account that Rosier already has put up some decent numbers and has a rapport with some of his WRs and Backs. IT may be easier for Richt to trust that he will take a little step forward than to start all over with a Frosh and hope that he can learn on the job with a dumbed down offense.
But once again, we will see if any of the young guys can prove that they are ready. As of right now I don't think anyone but yourself and maybe a hand full of others on this site believe that Williams is truly ready for LSU.
We averaged 3.6 third down conversions a game. Good for 129th in the country. Stats, both good and bad, never tell the whole story. To me, though, that stat is damming.

As for "being ready for LSU", what does that matter in April? Are we playing them next week? For Williams to look this good this early tells me a lot about him. He has until September to learn and grow even more. Why should we settle for a guy that should have never been a starter here for another year, simply because he was the starter last year? I don't get that. It would be like people wanting Kenny Kelly to start over Dorsey because he had more starts. No. You simply have to play the better QB.

Advertisement
We averaged 3.6 third down conversions a game. Good for 129th in the country. Stats, both good and bad, never tell the whole story. To me, though, that stat is damming.

As for "being ready for LSU", what does that matter in April? Are we playing them next week? For Williams to look this good this early tells me a lot about him. He has until September to learn and grow even more. Why should we settle for a guy that should have never been a starter here for another year, simply because he was the starter last year? I don't get that. It would be like people wanting Kenny Kelly to start over Dorsey because he had more starts. No. You simply have to play the better QB.

The stats that matter the most to me were leading the team down the field for wins and the most TDs.
Those stats don't mean as much to you as you have clearly stated in your previous post.

Being ready for LSU matters in April because you said in your post that he is ready to start over Rosier now. If he is ready to take the job now then you are essentially saying he is ready to play LSU now. That is the way I interpreted it.

Why should we settle for a guy that should have never been a starter here for another year, simply because he was the starter last year? I don't get that. It would be like people wanting Kenny Kelly to start over Dorsey because he had more starts. No. You simply have to play the better QB.
If Richt believes he is the best leader to take us to the Playoffs then he will start. If not then one of the kids will start.

Simple truth of the matter is until we develop a running game we will struggle with RZ, 3rd down, and not having a stud at QB. No amount of motion or "creative" play calling will change that fact. To many times we are at 2 and long and we can't pick up 3rd and short with our run game. Those two factors right there, in my opinion contribute to 90% of the ills we suffer on O. Find a consistent run game on CMR will be the best OC ever

We need Searles to find a competent combination up front and pray to whatever you believe holy that our LT or RT doesn't get hurt all year once we find them. We have plenty of interior guys. Did D Scaife get any burn at RT yesterday?

People are too caught up on this motion thing. If you have someone who needs seasoning and time (Perry) or someone who struggles reading defenses and making quick/correct decisions then you don't use a lot of motion. Don't make someone who doesn't think quickly have to think about 2-3 more things pre snap. Simplify, don't complicate.

Best news of the scrimmage was D Smith IMO. The way he fought off the blocker and got out on the screens/quick passes against Klumpson was text book. Also, he was at a disadvantage playing 8 yards off in man against the slot. Now that he is closer his length alone could give the QB pause for that extra moment it takes to make a sack or have the QB come off his first read and get him out of sync.

Advertisement
If Williams really is the golden child as you and others seem to be hoping for then he will prove it on the field. I just have my doubts ThomasM.

If Williams really is the golden child as you and others seem to be hoping for then he will prove it on the field. I just have my doubts ThomasM.
Believe me, I want him to prove it as much as anyone.

JW needs to get more reps with the 1st and/or 2nd team in practice. Not sure how the in-practice scrimmages or whatever they call them work. Up until Cade went out with his eye issue , JW was throwing to the equipment manager during drills. At least the past week or 10 days he had an actual player to receive his throws. It can only make him better and in turn push the other two harder.

Advertisement
Those TDs were a result of Richt getting blood from a stone. Mark my word, the next good QB will shatter that record. A record that wasn't very high to begin with. Look at how many times we left points off the board that a good QB would have gotten. Our next good QB will be a Heisman candidate, and not a candidate for replacement.
Next qb a Heisman candidate? Never a shortage of idiotic comments by posters on this forum. Your prediction of our next qb being a Heisman candidate may be among the most stupid and idiotic ever posted on this forum. What can possibly motivate you to make this wild comment?

Next qb a Heisman candidate? Never a shortage of idiotic comments by posters on this forum. Your prediction of our next qb being a Heisman candidate may be among the most stupid and idiotic ever posted on this forum. What can possibly motivate you to make this wild comment?
I'll tell you. If Rosier, with all his issues, can set the team record for TDs, what do YOU think a good QB will do with all the talent on that side of the ball? I'll tell you what they will do. They will tear the **** out of the ACC and lead us to the ACC title game, possibly undefeated. I guarantee you, if this happens, and it very well could, our QB will be in the Heisman conversation. If Rosier can lead us to a 10-0 start, I'm thinking a BETTER QB can get us over the hump. I see the next good QB hitting our weapons in stride, making proper reads, and having this O a juggernaut.

I completely disagree. I said several times last year that the plus turnovers our defense got us was the difference of 10-3 vs 8-5 or 7-6. I'm not going to revisit the statistics, but it goes a little something like this:

Our defense averaged nearly 3 turnovers per game. If they got 1 less turnover per game, We lose to FSU, GT, and UNC. Last year Rosier was good at times, but his inconsistent play caused too many games to be close ones. Fortunately, we won the close games. That's no guarantee it will happen again next season. We have to have consistent play from the QB position.

I believe Perry or Williams could win the same number of games as Rosier. They have more upside and higher ceiling.

Rosier will probably start vs LSU. If he starts poorly, I expect Perry and /or Williams to get an opportunity. That will happen throughout the season. Rosier will NOT get 2nd chance opportunities after poor performances during the game. Whomever has the hot hand will play.

A lot of things happened last year that you can't count on replicating, and our ridiculous TO margin is one of them. That was a very lucky team.

Advertisement
You are telling me things that you saw last season along with what you believe and assume can happen in 2018, which is fair.

I am assuming and believing that our defense will be better at not only causing turnovers but scoring off those turnovers.

I also assume and believe that we will be better defensively at getting teams off the field on 3rd down (at a better rate than last year).

I also assume that with (hopefully) an improved OL, a deeper stable of RBs, a true FB, good potential at TE and more playmakers at WR we can be more dynamic and more versatile in our formations.

Let's see how things play out. I am not ready to give up on Rosier. Especially after what I have read and heard about the last 12 hours or so around here.
The thing is we need consistent play at the QB position regardless of who's back there. That would give us 10-12 win regular season. If a QB develops as a playmaker for the offense, then this team could be really special. No knock on Rosier. He can be solid. However, I think N'Kosi or Jarren give the offense the greatest upside.

We'll see how things unfold in fall camp. I hope all the QBs get better in the off season.

Simple truth of the matter is until we develop a running game we will struggle with RZ, 3rd down, and not having a stud at QB. No amount of motion or "creative" play calling will change that fact. To many times we are at 2 and long and we can't pick up 3rd and short with our run game. Those two factors right there, in my opinion contribute to 90% of the ills we suffer on O. Find a consistent run game on CMR will be the best OC ever

We need Searles to find a competent combination up front and pray to whatever you believe holy that our LT or RT doesn't get hurt all year once we find them. We have plenty of interior guys. Did D Scaife get any burn at RT yesterday?

People are too caught up on this motion thing. If you have someone who needs seasoning and time (Perry) or someone who struggles reading defenses and making quick/correct decisions then you don't use a lot of motion. Don't make someone who doesn't think quickly have to think about 2-3 more things pre snap. Simplify, don't complicate.

Best news of the scrimmage was D Smith IMO. The way he fought off the blocker and got out on the screens/quick passes against Klumpson was text book. Also, he was at a disadvantage playing 8 yards off in man against the slot. Now that he is closer his length alone could give the QB pause for that extra moment it takes to make a sack or have the QB come off his first read and get him out of sync.

While I agree that we need to get more push from the OL, having an highly-effective QB can really open up your running game. Last year defenses frequently crowded the LOS because they knew we weren't likely to pass.

The one stat I saw,.. Was on Williams, his progression in the last couple months.
Now, that he's beginning to make a case for more snaps, how much more can he improve in 4 months?
I'm not calling him the answer yet, but I will say he has my interest.
Between the rumors about his work ethic, and his mental game, don't be surprised if he doesn't work his way into game time within the first couple weeks of the season.

The thing is we need consistent play at the QB position regardless of who's back there. That would give us 10-12 win regular season. If a QB develops as a playmaker for the offense, then this team could be really special. No knock on Rosier. He can be solid. However, I think N'Kosi or Jarren give the offense the greatest upside.

We'll see how things unfold in fall camp. I hope all the QBs get better in the off season.
I can agree with you in principle. We do need more consistency. We just disagree on who will develop and provide the consistency this season and in time for the LSU game.
To me Rosier can take a progressive step forward and get into a better rhythm if we can figure out the OL situation, if the RBs can carry the load and if the Wrs and TEs step up and play as great as I think they can.

Advertisement
Back