My Scrimmage Notes

I'll throw in my two cents since we don't need 50 different scrimmage threads. I thought Rosier was generally sharp. Although after a long pass th Cager to open the game, he pretty much settled for short stuff the rest of the game. Perry looked to throw downfield more but with less success. He dropped a couple of nice lobs right on target but also overthrew a couple easy passes. His interception was on a desperation heave to end the first half so it wasn't necessarily a terrible throw, he was just tossing it up in the endzone trying to get something right at the half and frierson made a nice pick. Kosi's throws still look so effortless as he just flicks the ball with his wrist and the ball jumps out. He's got the best release and strongest arm but like i said earlier, he missed some easy ones. Williams was very sharp and did not look like a freshman. He's built like a truck but has got some nice quickness to escape the pocket. Him and Perry spent a majority of the game scrambling becasue the 2nd team o line is garbage. I did like that Richt gave perry and williams a series or 2 with the ones in the second half. They both had good but not great results. The QBs all did some really nice things and generally played well considering how dominant the defensive line was.
Brian Hightower was the MVP on offense easily. He was all over the field beating coverage, out jumping defenders and using perfect body control on some sideline and endzone grabs. These upper classmen receivers are gonna lose playing time to these kids. Surprisingly, Brian Polendy made a few nice catches. He looked good on short stuff and down the field. Irving... didn't see him make a catch. Running backs were bottled up a majority of the game. Homer had a few nice runs but also fumbled. DJ Dallas is officially going to be the biggest punt returner in college football. He looks like a linebacker now. Linguard got some good burn and has a few nice runs. He's probably the fastest running back we have. Robert Burns looked to have made through another scrimmage without getting hurt so that's a victory of sorts.

Defensive line looks dominant. Willis had his name called a few times as well as most of the other 1st team guys. 2nd team line was awesome too but i think our crappy 2nd team o line had a lot to do with it. Patchan was super active and Rousseau looks like a freak. I think we'll be just as good if not better this year than last. No post kool dropoff. Linebackers in general did a great job against the run. Shaq was his solid self. Some oc the younger guys made plays. Mike smith looked good filling in with the ones for a few series. He looks like he cut his Rastaman dreads. Lol. Dbs were up and down. Frierson was definitely a noteable. He looked sharp in coverage and had some nice hits in the running game. Very versatile player. Man coverage was generally very good. The QBs often found themselves with nobody to throw to even when th3y had some time. Defense overall won the scrimmage. They looked ready to start the season.

Advertisement
The returning Defenses we play in 2018 on paper do not scare me in any way. And I do not believe any of them are better than the F$U team he claims to be hot garbage.

On paper FSU still has multiple 4 and 5* on their defense. Bud Foster is still at VT so they will continue to be a problem. LSU annually has a top defense. The same with Bostom College who has been a thorn in past teams' side.

On paper FSU still has multiple 4 and 5* on their defense. Bud Foster is still at VT so they will continue to be a problem. LSU annually has a top defense. The same with Bostom College who has been a thorn in past teams' side.
Nothing in your post convinces me that they are as good or better.
But the general point is being ignored and not focused upon. I think Rosier is good enough to help us win against any of the defenses on our schedule. Especially if people think F$U's defense was crap.

Rosier is a proven winner that led the team into the endzone more than any other QB in our history.
I am not going to sit here and say he is Russell Wilson but he does not have to be super accurate in order for us to win the key games on our schedule.

Kosi and Williams may be solid young players but we have not seen them play a down yet in a real game. Maybe we see it in Arlington. I will tip my cap to either one if they prove they should start. I just have my doubts.
I completely disagree. I said several times last year that the plus turnovers our defense got us was the difference of 10-3 vs 8-5 or 7-6. I'm not going to revisit the statistics, but it goes a little something like this:

Our defense averaged nearly 3 turnovers per game. If they got 1 less turnover per game, We lose to FSU, GT, and UNC. Last year Rosier was good at times, but his inconsistent play caused too many games to be close ones. Fortunately, we won the close games. That's no guarantee it will happen again next season. We have to have consistent play from the QB position.

I believe Perry or Williams could win the same number of games as Rosier. They have more upside and higher ceiling.

Rosier will probably start vs LSU. If he starts poorly, I expect Perry and /or Williams to get an opportunity. That will happen throughout the season. Rosier will NOT get 2nd chance opportunities after poor performances during the game. Whomever has the hot hand will play.

I completely disagree. I said several times last year that the plus turnovers our defense got us was the difference of 10-3 vs 8-5 or 7-6. I'm not going to revisit the statistics, but it goes a little something like this:

Our defense averaged nearly 3 turnovers per game. If they got 1 less turnover per game, We lose to FSU, GT, and UNC. Last year Rosier was good at times, but his inconsistent play caused too many games to be close ones. Fortunately, we won the close games. That's no guarantee it will happen again next season. We have to have consistent play from the QB position.

I believe Perry or Williams could win the same number of games as Rosier. They have more upside and higher ceiling.

Rosier will probably start vs LSU. If he starts poorly, I expect Perry and /or Williams to get an opportunity. That will happen throughout the season. Rosier will NOT get 2nd chance opportunities after poor performances during the game. Whomever has the hot hand will play.
You are telling me things that you saw last season along with what you believe and assume can happen in 2018, which is fair.

I am assuming and believing that our defense will be better at not only causing turnovers but scoring off those turnovers.

I also assume and believe that we will be better defensively at getting teams off the field on 3rd down (at a better rate than last year).

I also assume that with (hopefully) an improved OL, a deeper stable of RBs, a true FB, good potential at TE and more playmakers at WR we can be more dynamic and more versatile in our formations.

Let's see how things play out. I am not ready to give up on Rosier. Especially after what I have read and heard about the last 12 hours or so around here.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Everyone is quick to jump on Kosi but we forget he is still a true freshman in his first spring. He came from a backyard football spread offense in high school and is raw as ****. Nobody wants to accept it because for whatever reason Pete and Dmoney hyped him up prematurely. He needs time people.

This is 100% of the issue with the posts knocking Perry.

Pete and DMoney made it seem like CMR was handing him the job as soon as he got to campus. And because that hasn’t happened, people are calling him a bust ... And he hasn’t even been a college student for a full year, yet.

Perry still has time to develop into what he was hyped to be. No reason to write the kid off after his first spring scrimmage.

And it’s a good thing that Jarren Williams can actually play. He’ll either continue to improve, and take the job. Or, he’ll continue to improve and make Rosier and Perry rise to meet the challenge.

That’s a no lose proposition for the QB spot this season, IMO.

Everyone is quick to jump on Kosi but we forget he is still a true freshman in his first spring. He came from a backyard football spread offense in high school and is raw as ****. Nobody wants to accept it because for whatever reason Pete and Dmoney hyped him up prematurely. He needs time people.

Agents do less to hype up their quarterbacks than D$ and Pete hype up ours

Redshirt Frosh- but true.

I think it also does not help that we see true Freshmen and Redshirts play early all around the college football landscape for other major programs. ( And not only do they play they look very good at times.)

Some players take time to develop and I am sure both of our young players can come in eventually and win the starting job. Can it be by the fall? Sure.
I am not expecting it though. Some players take time to gradually grow into the position. Especially with Pro types of offenses.

Advertisement
Rosier is a proven winner that led the team into the endzone more than any other QB in our history.
I am not going to sit here and say he is Russell Wilson but he does not have to be super accurate in order for us to win the key games on our schedule.

Kosi and Williams may be solid young players but we have not seen them play a down yet in a real game. Maybe we see it in Arlington. I will tip my cap to either one if they prove they should start. I just have my doubts.

He's also proven to be one of the most flawed starting QBs in our history. Offenses have changed to a more fast tempo over the years. You put Rosier in an offense 20 years ago and he doesn't flourish. See how that works?

You know at some point we're going to have to put in a QB that hasn't had any snaps? That's how college football works.

You are mentioning things that I already know.
It does not mean that i am incorrect in my assessment though or that the other two players are ready to play. That is neither up to me or you.
I am just trying to be consistent here and say that we can win with Rosier on the field if he improves and the rest of the team improves in a whay I think they can. You obviously disagree.

At the beginning of the last year, yes, we could win. But a lot of times he was keeping other team's in the game when our defense was doing their job. People praise him for the FSU game throwing a GW TD. But if he was a decent QB for that game in its entirety, we beat FSU easily.

Now team's have tape on Rosier which is why you saw his performance steadily drop off.

Teams may have tape on Rosier but we have tape on their teams too.
Our staff is good and I believe they will have our team prepared to make a run at the playoffs. And Rosier will likely be the man leading the way again. If it is the other guys I will root for them too and be impressed by their progression (I just don't see it happening now).

Advertisement

Those TDs were a result of Richt getting blood from a stone. Mark my word, the next good QB will shatter that record. A record that wasn't very high to begin with. Look at how many times we left points off the board that a good QB would have gotten. Our next good QB will be a Heisman candidate, and not a candidate for replacement.

Those TDs were a result of Richt getting blood from a stone. Mark my word, the next good QB will shatter that record. A record that wasn't very high to begin with. Look at how many times we left points off the board that a good QB would have gotten. Our next good QB will be a Heisman candidate, and not a candidate for replacement.
That may be true. We have some good young guys that may soon be starters.
But will they be ready to start against LSU???? Are they ready to take Rosier's job?
Some say yes. I say probably not. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'll throw in my two cents since we don't need 50 different scrimmage threads. I thought Rosier was generally sharp. Although after a long pass th Cager to open the game, he pretty much settled for short stuff the rest of the game. Perry looked to throw downfield more but with less success. He dropped a couple of nice lobs right on target but also overthrew a couple easy passes. His interception was on a desperation heave to end the first half so it wasn't necessarily a terrible throw, he was just tossing it up in the endzone trying to get something right at the half and frierson made a nice pick. Kosi's throws still look so effortless as he just flicks the ball with his wrist and the ball jumps out. He's got the best release and strongest arm but like i said earlier, he missed some easy ones. Williams was very sharp and did not look like a freshman. He's built like a truck but has got some nice quickness to escape the pocket. Him and Perry spent a majority of the game scrambling becasue the 2nd team o line is garbage. I did like that Richt gave perry and williams a series or 2 with the ones in the second half. They both had good but not great results. The QBs all did some really nice things and generally played well considering how dominant the defensive line was.
Brian Hightower was the MVP on offense easily. He was all over the field beating coverage, out jumping defenders and using perfect body control on some sideline and endzone grabs. These upper classmen receivers are gonna lose playing time to these kids. Surprisingly, Brian Polendy made a few nice catches. He looked good on short stuff and down the field. Irving... didn't see him make a catch. Running backs were bottled up a majority of the game. Homer had a few nice runs but also fumbled. DJ Dallas is officially going to be the biggest punt returner in college football. He looks like a linebacker now. Linguard got some good burn and has a few nice runs. He's probably the fastest running back we have. Robert Burns looked to have made through another scrimmage without getting hurt so that's a victory of sorts.

Defensive line looks dominant. Willis had his name called a few times as well as most of the other 1st team guys. 2nd team line was awesome too but i think our crappy 2nd team o line had a lot to do with it. Patchan was super active and Rousseau looks like a freak. I think we'll be just as good if not better this year than last. No post kool dropoff. Linebackers in general did a great job against the run. Shaq was his solid self. Some oc the younger guys made plays. Mike smith looked good filling in with the ones for a few series. He looks like he cut his Rastaman dreads. Lol. Dbs were up and down. Frierson was definitely a noteable. He looked sharp in coverage and had some nice hits in the running game. Very versatile player. Man coverage was generally very good. The QBs often found themselves with nobody to throw to even when th3y had some time. Defense overall won the scrimmage. They looked ready to start the season.
This seems like a well reasoned and thorough report delivered fairly and without bias. What the **** is it doing here?

I kid.

"I thought Rosier was generally sharp. Although after a long pass th Cager to open the game, he pretty much settled for short stuff the rest of the game. Perry looked to throw downfield more but with less success."

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I think this is a some of what Richt is referring to when he talks about Rosier being way out in front in terms of knowing what to do and where to go with the football. Sometimes you have to take what the defense gives you instead of trying to force what's not there. I think some of the things people rip Malik over...he's doing exactly what Richt wants him to do. Let me give you an example. People have complained at length about how against Pitt all Rosier did was little dink and dunk quick slants and quick outs. Well, against cover 2 aren't you taught to seek the soft spot between the Lb's and Safeties? Isn't the occasional skinny post or TE seam designed specifically to defeat the old Tampa 2 defense by splitting the safeties? Go back and re-watch the first half of the Pitt game. Rosier was 9-14, but every ball was sent to the correct receiver for the coverage, and all but one were thrown accurately. Even some of the misses were well placed--the place where only our man can make a play. That may not make sense, but you are taught on many routes that if you're going to miss, miss here.

I didn’t hype Perry. I doubted the QBs he was competing against. That’s why I picked him sight unseen. Remember, Richt said he thought Rosier would never play for him.

Rosier improved tremendously and was still a 54% passer. Shireffs is at UNC-Charlotte. The fact that Perry redshirted behind those guys was a major disappointment. There is no other way to say it.

The good thing is Perry has plenty of time left. Like you said, he came in raw from high school. The competition with Williams should be good for him.

That may be true. We have some good young guys that may soon be starters.
But will they be ready to start against LSU???? Are they ready to take Rosier's job?
Some say yes. I say probably not. Time will tell.
Williams is ready to take the job now, and will be even more ready by the end of August. He's simply that much better of a QB.

My probably not so hot takes. Rosier will start vs. LSU. The OL is a work in progress. Not time to panic. Williams is the future. D line will be better this year. It’s gonna be fun when the others show up for summer.

Advertisement
Back