My Proposal for our Offense

Coley was OC, Kaaya was QB, we sucked.

Richt is OC, Kaaya is QB, offense still sucks.

Get Golden's **** out of your ear and Shalala's juice out of your eyes and realize our offense is underperforming and has been for years.

Over-****ing-rated

The common thread there is that both play callers are not good play callers. It can't be understated how important it is in the modern game to have a good offensive system in place. The players names change every year as guys come and go....but the biggest problem we've had here not for the last TWO YEARS, but rather for the last TEN PLUS YEARS, is that we've had absolute dog **** in terms of offensive play callers.

I'm sorry but that's insane to say already that richt isn't a good play caller. Takes a Lil execution too. Can't call an effective passing game if you're line gets beat virtually every snap were in a clear passing situation. Just give the man a Lil trust. He deserves that at least

I'm sorry too...cause what I saw last Saturday was an abomination and looked more like a first time play caller as opposed to a guy with 20 years of experience.

Richt is best suited to be a CEO type head coach. He needs to delegate play calling duties to a dedicated OC. You can't even begin to bring up execution when the game plan was so bad and the adjustments were non existent. As I've discussed to death in several threads the play calling completely ignored the middle of the field and nothing was done to combat the man to man FSU was showing on every down.

Advertisement

Get Golden's **** out of your ear and Shalala's juice out of your eyes and realize our offense is underperforming and has been for years.

Over-****ing-rated

The common thread there is that both play callers are not good play callers. It can't be understated how important it is in the modern game to have a good offensive system in place. The players names change every year as guys come and go....but the biggest problem we've had here not for the last TWO YEARS, but rather for the last TEN PLUS YEARS, is that we've had absolute dog **** in terms of offensive play callers.

I'm sorry but that's insane to say already that richt isn't a good play caller. Takes a Lil execution too. Can't call an effective passing game if you're line gets beat virtually every snap were in a clear passing situation. Just give the man a Lil trust. He deserves that at least

I'm sorry too...cause what I saw last Saturday was an abomination and looked more like a first time play caller as opposed to a guy with 20 years of experience.

Richt is best suited to be a CEO type head coach. He needs to delegate play calling duties to a dedicated OC. You can't even begin to bring up execution when the game plan was so bad and the adjustments were non existent. As I've discussed to death in several threads the play calling completely ignored the middle of the field and nothing was done to combat the man to man FSU was showing on every down.

That's how he got dropped from his last gig.

You can't even begin to bring up execution when the game plan was so bad and the adjustments were non existent. As I've discussed to death in several threads the play calling completely ignored the middle of the field and nothing was done to combat the man to man FSU was showing on every down.

I hear ya', but our WRs have to do a better job of getting open faster and creating seperation. Too many times I saw our intended WRs just straight up blanketed. It just seems like nowadays these systems are creating seperation, instead of the WR just straight up beating His man 1 on 1.

Last edited:
If I was Richt I'd just max blitz the **** outta Kaaya in practice, and force these WRs to get phuckin' open like yesterday. I swear the last time I saw great route running...WRs gettin' in & out of their breaks...WRs gettin' YAC/RAC...was 00'.

Last edited:
No doubt the offensive line has to man tf up... we got to get the offense going. The running game has to get better too

Advertisement
1. Stop using our TEs as decoys

Against FSU, we used our TEs as pawns to move LBs around, keep them shallow, and either open up in breaking routes behind them for Coley and Richards (and Berrios attempts, more than on that later), or clear out routes underneath them.

I submit that Chris Herndon and David Njoku will both have NFL careers. I've said Njoku reminds me of a taller Delanie Walker. I've said Herndon reminds me of Fred Baxter, the former Jets TE/H-Back who was used as a random utility guy in the 90s.

First, let's state that FSU's TEs had 7 catches for 137 yards against UNC. So for this next game, it's potentially there if we want it. But, bigger picture, let's use Njoku's talents beating teams vertically. Against FSU, most of what both Njoku and Herndon were asked to do went toward the sideline. I mentioned that, if I'm playing Nickel or Safety against a bigger dude, I most definitely want him trying to run away from me toward the sideline because I know I can close and get between him and the ball. What I don't want is a bigger dude going vertical where he can essentially box me out. Why we didn't do that against FSU is beyond my understanding, but I propose we move in that direction.

Did you address this point and I missed it? Curious as to what you were going to say about it.

You can't even begin to bring up execution when the game plan was so bad and the adjustments were non existent. As I've discussed to death in several threads the play calling completely ignored the middle of the field and nothing was done to combat the man to man FSU was showing on every down.

I hear ya', but our WRs have to do a better job of getting open faster and creating seperation. Too many times I saw our intended WRs just straight up blanketed. It just seems like nowadays these systems are creating seperation, instead of the WR just straight up beating His man 1 on 1.

Not sure what game you watched and not sure if you understand the premise of my statements.

The ROUTES being called were not man-killing ROUTES. The middle of the field, which has been FSU's biggest weakness, was not even tested.

If I was Richt I'd just max blitz the **** outta Kaaya in practice, and force these WRs to get phuckin' open like yesterday. I swear the last time I saw great route running...WRs gettin' in & out of their breaks...WRs gettin' YAC/RAC...was 00'.

And if I was Richt I'd hire a dedicated OC.

Where is brooklyndee? He was saying we werent going to open up for the game lol

Exactly, I've said this a few times. [MENTION=12910]Brooklyndee[/MENTION] back at it again with the spot on sauce.

The stuff he said about practice is right but where we really not able to practice it is my issue with his "statments" we will see this weekend if hes right or full of sh¡t

Honestly I wouldn't give 3 ****s if you think I'm full of ****. You also don't know the situation from last week nor apparently as someone else said where our team hotel is if you think they have a ballroom we could've practiced in either. Take issue with whatever you'd like as it is what it is. By the way incase you didn't figure it out I don't make any choices for us. So whether or not were able to do something or not has no merit to me. I can only choose to tell you if we're doing something or not. How u take it is all on u.

Whoa whoa chillax there amigo, like i said i aint judging your statements until UNC because that is when you said we will open up everything, my only issue with your statement is why would we wait for UNC to do it when FSU is a bigger game geez i aint putting this lose on you unless you are richt, probably explains your butt hurtness if you are

Advertisement
Ok, so I started to look back at the game a bit. It makes me want to vomit a bit, but whatever. Time to move on.

Let's start with the fact that Richt has openly said he wants to run the ball more out of traditional sets (2 backs) and take that to mean he wants less reliance on RPO.

1. Stop using our TEs as decoys

Against FSU, we used our TEs as pawns to move LBs around, keep them shallow, and either open up in breaking routes behind them for Coley and Richards (and Berrios attempts, more than on that later), or clear out routes underneath them.

I submit that Chris Herndon and David Njoku will both have NFL careers. I've said Njoku reminds me of a taller Delanie Walker. I've said Herndon reminds me of Fred Baxter, the former Jets TE/H-Back who was used as a random utility guy in the 90s.

First, let's state that FSU's TEs had 7 catches for 137 yards against UNC. So for this next game, it's potentially there if we want it. But, bigger picture, let's use Njoku's talents beating teams vertically. Against FSU, most of what both Njoku and Herndon were asked to do went toward the sideline. I mentioned that, if I'm playing Nickel or Safety against a bigger dude, I most definitely want him trying to run away from me toward the sideline because I know I can close and get between him and the ball. What I don't want is a bigger dude going vertical where he can essentially box me out. Why we didn't do that against FSU is beyond my understanding, but I propose we move in that direction.

2. Herndon in the backfield

Above, I mention that Herndon's comparison is a utility guy like Fred Baxter. In the Spring, we saw him used in the H-back and in motion. If Richt really wants to move back to more traditional sets in the run game, then Herndon is a better option than Marquez Williams and allows our offense to remain flexible. Have him come across formations on counter plays. Have him in the broken-I and in motion. Have him running simple circle routes that are EASY reads for Kaaya and require little time from our OL (think Najeh Davenport).

Essentially, while Richt wants to revert to "his style" of running the ball instead of over reliance on RPOs, we can compromise. I'm sure everyone loves Marquez Williams and he can help us in 6-8 plays a game, but he is NOT the answer to our troubles against anything but lesser teams. His presence invites more guys to fly down into the box. When we ran Coker-T in the 4th, I nearly lost my mind. It should not be our staple. We have an accurate passer who needs space, windows and some time. Clear defenders OUT rather than bring them in tighter.

3. RPO as a topping instead of the base

There is a time and place for RPO. Please, please look at RPO threads and realize it's a run/pass option and not a zone-read where Kaaya is expected to run. Looking back at the game, we actually ran the pass part more successfully than I remembered. Richards caught quick slants. Coley caught passes. We didn't even really bubble out much out of it. Kaaya should have actually elected the "P" more than he did the "R" in the RPO. It's still going to be used and it should, but let's use it with timing and to create leverage instead of our bread and butter.

4. We need vertical shots down field

I said this on the podcast and was mostly disappointed we only did it a handful of times. We need intentional shots downfield even if they don't connect. Especially if we're going to do #2 and keep Herndon and Njoku in the game together, we need to keep defenses with 2-high Safeties as much as possible. It's the only way we'll run effectively with our current OL and RB combinations. Whenever we get a RB who can get YAC or a mauling OL, I'll concede these intentional stretches of the defense will matter less. I'd still say they're extremely important in modern football. Richards is our best bet outside. That's our guy. Play Mullins if you have to and send him on just 3 routes (go, stop, out). Coley is a vertical threat out of the slot. Njoku is a vertical threat from both the TE position (especially) and sometimes out of the slot (against a LB).

5. Don't try to do all of it

I'm all for flexibility, but throwing crap at the wall makes things worse. When we went Coker-T and I-Form late in the game, it was troubling. When we immediately switched back to 4WR and trips, it was maddening. Because we switched out on the very subsequent plays. To me, that indicated a little bit of desperation. If you're going to be desperate, be radical downfield, I think. This is the inverse of our experiences with D'Onofrio. I'm not saying Coach Richt is D'Onofrio. That's unfair. I'm comparing doing too many things and then reverting to the most conservative route when the chips are down. I propose the opposite, like I did with defense. Do a handful of things - 11 Personnel (Shotgun), 12 Personnel (Herndon utility) - really well and, when the chips are down, go out swinging.

Like I said in another post, we shall find out a heck of a lot in the next 11 days. May we be on the right side of the brawl. And, by that, I mean do whatever we decide aggressively and assertively.

*By the way, I know it's not the NFL, but their league average off of 21 personnel (2 backs talked about) is somewhere around 13% plays called. Anyone want to take a guess why? So, yeah.

Good **** lu! I agree with most of this assessment.a lot of it is already in play but has yet been utilized. Hopefully this week well see a lot more of this actually called. On the rpo my problem is in most instances the running back simply plays it like a draw where with how our offense lines up were better off to go off tackle or like an option & take it wide. Our relievers are all very good blockers. We need to utilize that far more often as that's been an unexpected twist. We're just all sortve still in a feeling out phase. This week well see a lot more plays & formations that will make people happy but until everyone's on the same page how much can we realistically expect in terms of results. Lastly in terms of desperation I think you're looking at it the wrong way. A big thing with richt is utilizing match ups. However it's a big difference lining up with our d opposed to the team on the other side of us. Just have a Lil faith & give him some time

I've heard that a lot, man, but I just watch what he does. It's hard to avoid the fact our best matchups were Njoku, Herndon and Coley vertical. We saw a bit of it from Coley out of the slot. We used the other guys as decoys. That would be my biggest question to you: why did we relegate Herndon and Njoku to decoy status or outside the hashes? If you've watched any practice, you know they've done more with them.

We also should have used Walton in the flats more. If you're a coach obsessed with matchups, you don't go away from that stuff in such a critical game. I'm just not sure why Coach Richt seemingly went into a shell. And, as we got more in trouble, the deeper he went toward "stability" (tighter formations bringing more into the box).

The main reason I can tell you & it's just an excuse mainly is that he flat out didn't trust our line. He tried to out strategies dumbo for a stretch in the third where it resulted in 3 sacks,7 knock downs out of 10 plays. Unfortunately I myself even believe if we spread them out we would've been throwing brad to the wolves. Our line was getting destroyed head up most of the night. Tighter formations which usually resulted in runs or slants was one of the few ways to counter that for him. Once kids started getting dinged up he really went back into a shell. We've both seen our share of practices so you know there's much more instilled in this offense. Do I agree that we should've gone so sketchy or ultra conservative no. But I do agree our season is made up of more than that 1 game. Our goal is coastal champion or bust. That's why I said last week that this week against Carolina is when you're gonna see it all. Weather was just the convenient deciding factor.

Where is brooklyndee? He was saying we werent going to open up for the game lol

Exactly, I've said this a few times. [MENTION=12910]Brooklyndee[/MENTION] back at it again with the spot on sauce.

The stuff he said about practice is right but where we really not able to practice it is my issue with his "statments" we will see this weekend if hes right or full of sh¡t

Honestly I wouldn't give 3 ****s if you think I'm full of ****. You also don't know the situation from last week nor apparently as someone else said where our team hotel is if you think they have a ballroom we could've practiced in either. Take issue with whatever you'd like as it is what it is. By the way incase you didn't figure it out I don't make any choices for us. So whether or not were able to do something or not has no merit to me. I can only choose to tell you if we're doing something or not. How u take it is all on u.

Whoa whoa chillax there amigo, like i said i aint judging your statements until UNC because that is when you said we will open up everything, my only issue with your statement is why would we wait for UNC to do it when FSU is a bigger game geez i aint putting this lose on you unless you are richt, probably explains your butt hurtness if you are

I hate to tell you but in the course of this season it's hindsight since we already lost but fsu isn't & wasn't a bigger game for us this season than Carolina. Carolina is a conference front runner who has already beaten fsu. If we lose to them or tech it's basically a wrap for our season. Fsu didn't hurt us at all really. We can still get to the coastal championship in spite of them. Doubt they can but we'll have to wait & see.

Ok so I just re-watched the 2nd half. I'm not seeing a ton of single-high but what I am seeing is our O-line get their a$$es kicked. I also saw one drive get stalled cause Kaaya through a ball in the dirt to Coley on 3rd down. Another drive stalled cause we threw a pick in the endzone. And another drive stalled cause we got a holding call on Walton's big TD run and then proceed to run twice in a row on 1st & 20. (making it 3rd & 15) We also squandered another drive by getting Kaaya sacked twice in a row.

We have OL issues.

Nnadi and Aime were eating us alive in the second half. If I'm defending against Kaaya, then I'm applying pressure up the middle. Brad's biggest weakness is he just doesn't adjust well in the pocket especially when it's starting to collapse around him. The really good ones side step, find a crease. I don't like to say things about players, but there is no bigger disappoint right now than McDermott. Darling can't play left tackle. He just doesn't have the quickness and gets eaten alive against a speed rusher. They'll sign as many tackles in this class as it takes.

The ROUTES being called were not man-killing ROUTES. The middle of the field, which has been FSU's biggest weakness, was not even tested.

Slants are man to man beaters...those lil' switch routes are man to man beaters...but you can't make a livin' with those against man to man. While we have threats on the outside with Coley & Richards, guys like Berrios & Njoku aren't really consistent threats up the middle.

Advertisement

Slants are man to man beaters...those lil' switch routes are man to man beaters...but you can't make a livin' with those against man to man. While we have threats on the outside with Coley & Richards, guys like Berrios & Njoku aren't really consistent threats up the middle.

Exactly my point. You know how many slant routes we ran ALL GAME?

Three.

That's one more than 2. For the record all 3 resulted in positive outcomes and helped create our best drive of the night. This all makes the decision to go away from these routes and the middle of the field in general that much more ridiculous

So yeah, my point stands.

Last edited:

Over-****ing-rated

It's his first time calling plays in 11 years. We're gonna have some bumps in the road as he gets his groove back.

I'm hoping it pays off down the line.

With a legit strength program, and top 10 recruiting classes made up of So Fla kids... there's no reason Richt's offense can't mirror the early 2000 offense that Butch ran. (the guy who 75% of our fan base wanted)

Advertisement

I hate to tell you but in the course of this season it's hindsight since we already lost but fsu isn't & wasn't a bigger game for us this season than Carolina. Carolina is a conference front runner who has already beaten fsu. If we lose to them or tech it's basically a wrap for our season. Fsu didn't hurt us at all really. We can still get to the coastal championship in spite of them. Doubt they can but we'll have to wait & see.

Agree with the statement about the UNC game. FSU one hurts because now it's 7 in a row against them, and it always helps in recruiting when you win that game.

Ok so I just re-watched the 2nd half. I'm not seeing a ton of single-high but what I am seeing is our O-line get their a$$es kicked. I also saw one drive get stalled cause Kaaya through a ball in the dirt to Coley on 3rd down. Another drive stalled cause we threw a pick in the endzone. And another drive stalled cause we got a holding call on Walton's big TD run and then proceed to run twice in a row on 1st & 20. (making it 3rd & 15) We also squandered another drive by getting Kaaya sacked twice in a row.

We have OL issues.

I don't think i mentioned "a ton" of single high. I just remember, and this is from the stadium view, "enough" single high opportunities. FSU brought a safety down late a handful of times. They ate us up in the run game on many of those plays. The tighter the formations, the more we struggled to establish anything in the run game. We'd immediately (and, like I said, i mean next play immediately) revert back to trips or the like.

Again, I think the OL issues are overstated. Last year's OL against FSU was worse with Mcdermott filling in at Tackle and Gall flailing inside. We got smoked at RT and inside a handful of times last year and this year the same. We also have communication issues in our OL when guys combine blocks. I don't think that's enough of a reason, but again, we shall see what they do with Njoku and Herndon this upcoming game.

My thing is we went to far into a shell against FSU. Let's hope that doesn't happen again.

We have OL issues.

Nnadi and Aime were eating us alive in the second half. If I'm defending against Kaaya, then I'm applying pressure up the middle. Brad's biggest weakness is he just doesn't adjust well in the pocket especially when it's starting to collapse around him. The really good ones side step, find a crease.

I said this a couple weeks ago. If I'm playing Kaaya, I'm blitzing A-gap all game long until he proves he can shuffle laterally. I even showed some pictures from 2015 where he just blatantly misses the crease. It happened against this year a couple times when he climbed the pocket and subsequently threw the ball inaccurately. That's the biggest hurdle for Brad in reaching the next level status.

The play above resulted in a hurry, DL disruption and overall bust. It's one of the type of plays people are saying "our OL sucks." Sure, in the play the OL could have done a better job, but had Kaaya simply slid to his left, it would have really helped the OL, his timing and the result of the play. Just one example.

Advertisement
Back